Do you wear glasses

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

do you wear glasses

ja, yes
92%
nein, no
8%

Total votes: 97

Topic Author
no_name

Do you wear glasses

Post by no_name »

look & see
norookie

Re: Do you wear glasses

Post by norookie »

:shock: I'm looking for a new avatar, wearing glasses.
Last edited by norookie on Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
camper

Post by camper »

age 31. Not yet.
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

I would call myopia/hyperopia medical conditions and thus not allowed to be discussed on this forum.
camper

Post by camper »

campy2010 wrote:I would call myopia/hyperopia medical conditions and thus not allowed to be discussed on this forum.
He/She didn't ask why you wore glasses.
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

When outside, I wear Action Optics photochromatic prescription dark glasses with a 2.5 bifocal magnifier. I have a permanently dilated right eye courtesy of an injury 46 years ago, and a slight astigmatism due to age. The bifocal is low and out of the way, but great for tying on a small fly when fishing.

For sitting at the computer, I still need no optical aids at age 68.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

I wear glasses outdoors (always while driving, sometimes when just walking around). My correction is relatively small (1-1.5 diopters) so I generally don't need them indoors, though I do have an annoying astigmatism (blue lights in particular are very smeared). My regular glasses are CR-39 plastic with an A/R coating, and I have a dedicated pair of (polarized) CR-39 sunglasses, I like that better than carrying just one photochromic pair. I can't stand polycarbonate as a lens material, the chromatic fringing drives me crazy.

I have a dedicated pair of glasses for stargazing and nighttime nature watching, these are crown glass with a slightly stronger prescription that allows me to focus just past infinity. They are a huge help for avoiding eyestrain at night and make things almost achingly clear, even compared with my regular lenses. Glass is still amazing stuff.
fishnskiguy wrote:For sitting at the computer, I still need no optical aids at age 68.
The far "in-focus" plane for me without glasses is just about at monitor distance. As presbyoptera continues to take hold and reduce my close-up vision (it has already started, much to my annoyance) I hope I'll still keep that far plane just about in clear focus. :)

-janet
Last edited by interplanetjanet on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midpack

Post by Midpack »

I need/use standard reading glasses so I voted yes, though I don't wear glasses otherwise. To me there are three categories for glasses- always, reading only and never...
You only live once...
mcblum

Post by mcblum »

Since the 2nd grade. I had gotten so used to fuzz on the black board that it was a miracle when I got my first glasses. My parents thought tortoise-shell was nice..... Wore them until J. H/S and then got black. Now "aviators".
Marty
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

interplanetjanet wrote:blue lights in particular are very smeared
You are experiencing the chromatic aberration of the eye. Don't you know the wonderful story about that? Doubtless oversimplified, but: a) Newton believes that lenses must have chromatic aberration, so he invents the reflecting telescope thinking it is the only solution to the problem; b) Euler, I think, observes that the eye is obviously achromatic and therefore achromatic lenses must be possible, works out the math, and telescope makers start making crown/flint achromats. c) Only after achromatic lenses are developed and in wide use do people finally discover that the eye is not achromatic at all! Brain postprocessing.

I remember observing this in a dramatic way in high school chemistry when we did "bead tests." You're looking at a glowing loop of wire in a Bunsen burner, and you're looking through cobalt glass, which blocks out the sodium yellow but passes both the high and low ends of the spectrum. And by golly, the wire looks like a red line with a blue halo around it, and by doing something I was actually able to refocus my eye and see a blue line line with a red halo around it.
interplanetjanet wrote:As presbyopia continues to take hold and reduce my close-up vision (it has already started, much to my annoyance)
Hah! It started when you were a kid. Watch little kids. They'll hold things six inches away from their eyes because they can focus all the way down to that distance. Presbyopia is a continuous process, we just don't notice it until our close-focussing distance is farther than our comfortable reading distance. Age 40 for me.
interplanetjanet wrote:II have a dedicated pair of glasses for stargazing and nighttime nature watching, these are crown glass with a slightly stronger prescription that allows me to focus just past infinity.
Oh, thank goodness. I'm not the only one. That is always an issue for me, optometrists feel they are breaking the rules if they write the prescription for infinity instead of twenty feet. My optometrist does it, but under protest. Did you have to beg and plead?

My "hiking glasses" are prescription sunglasses that focus at infinity through the top part, and have a very small close-vision bifocal add at the bottom for peering at maps, camera settings, etc. Unfortunately I didn't get photochromic glasses--forget what the decision process was--so they are no good for naked-eye stargazing. Fortunately, my naked-eye vision is good enough to point my binoculars at whatever I really want to look at. And the all-too-rare experience of being able to look up and just see the Milky Way without having to look for it doesn't require infinity focus.

My "normal glasses" have a larger-than-normal reading section with the bifocal line higher than usual. The other day I saw a casual acquaintance who happens to be an optometrist, for the first time in years, and the first words out of his mouth is "Your bifocal line is too high." Sigh. I spend most of my visual life at a computer screen. Optometrists believe you should be doing that through the top half of your bifocals. That just plain doesn't work for me, something about the way my brain is wired, I can't read immersively unless the print is toward the bottom of my visual field. So I position my screen low, and my bifocal line is high... and my reading section is a compromise power, workable for both computer screens and books.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
bru

Post by bru »

I found out I needed glasses when I went to take they eye test for my driver's license at age 16. Glasses and contacts ever since.

Now I need reading glasses, but usually go without when I'm not wearing contacts. Optometrist used monovision (two different power contacts) to allow for reading. It worked for a while but I think my vision has already changed.

Because of environment and genetics in a generation or two everyone will need vision correction.
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

It is rare and even difficult to get prescription lens made of glass. Now that most of us have plastic lenses, when will the term "glasses" change? What will it change to?

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

interplanetjanet wrote: My regular glasses are CR-39 plastic with an A/R coating, and I have a dedicated pair of (polarized) CR-39 sunglasses, I like that better than carrying just one photochromic pair. I can't stand polycarbonate as a lens material, the chromatic fringing drives me crazy.
I've got a very strong -8.5 and -8.75 prescription and had never been able to tolerate anything but CR-39. The problem with all the thinner materials is the thinner they are, generally the lower the abbe value is, which means that the chromatic aberration is worse. Then the stronger your prescription the more aberration there is as well.

I'm amazed at the marketing or whatever that puts people with mild prescriptions like yours, where the CR-39 lenses are not going to be that thick anyway, into optically inferior materials like poly. My wife has a +2 or so prescription and all she did was ask for CR-39 and scratch resistant coating at the big chain, and the "optician" asks if she wants just regular scratch resistant or the super-de-duper scratch resistant for just a little more. So she says I'll take the super-de-duper. This place has their preset packages, where you can't get coating B with lens material A and what not, so this scratch resistant choice was used to switch her from CR-39 to poly without telling her this. So then the glasses were intolerable and returned for a refund within a week.

However, with my latest glasses, I was convinced to give Trivex a try, this is not the thinnest, but is the lightest material. This has abbe value of 44 vs. 58 for CR-39 and 30 for poly and similar low values for most high or mid index materials. The other advantage for people with strong negative prescriptions, like mine, is they can make the center thickness 1 mm with Trivex vs. 2 mm with CR-39 and other materials, thinner center means thinner edge. For the first time, I am happy with something other than CR-39.
The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions. ― John C. Bogle
E-M-H

Post by E-M-H »

Seriously, why do you want to know?
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

nisiprius wrote:My "normal glasses" have a larger-than-normal reading section with the bifocal line higher than usual. The other day I saw a casual acquaintance who happens to be an optometrist, for the first time in years, and the first words out of his mouth is "Your bifocal line is too high." Sigh. I spend most of my visual life at a computer screen. Optometrists believe you should be doing that through the top half of your bifocals. That just plain doesn't work for me, something about the way my brain is wired, I can't read immersively unless the print is toward the bottom of my visual field. So I position my screen low, and my bifocal line is high... and my reading section is a compromise power, workable for both computer screens and books.
I've been nearsighted most of my life, and have always worn glasses for distance. Reading, not a problem. It was always annoying when I had my glasses on and then needed to read something quickly. My distance prescription doesn't work for reading, so I'd have to lift my glasses to do the reading.

So, my optometrist suggested progressives. That solved the reading problem, but I hated what they did for my distance vision. Given that my biggest need for glasses is for distance, I didn't like that the field of vision for distance was much smaller. The edges of the lenses were useless, especially for driving, when I'm always looking out of the corner of my eye. Turning my head to look directly at the object was simply annoying. I wonder if a plain old bifocal is worth a try...

Another problem I have is that the computer monitor text is getting a little blurry out of my left eye, but not my right. I'm a programmer, so I spend most of the day looking at it. I guess my right eye is compensating, but I'm starting to wonder if I need an extra pair of glasses specifically for reading something that is two feet away.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Tom_T wrote:So, my optometrist suggested progressives. That solved the reading problem, but I hated what they did for my distance vision. Given that my biggest need for glasses is for distance, I didn't like that the field of vision for distance was much smaller.
There are many designs of progressive lenses, I am in my first pair and have no problem with the distance part. The reading area, otoh, is very narrow, but I am getting used to it. I opted for expensive "free-form" lenses as these are supposed to be easiest to adapt to. I plan to try a regular lined bifocal next time and see if I prefer the larger reading area.

That said, I not choose to wear progressives (or lined bifocals, though I have never tried them), if I did not have to. Until I got older I could read with my glasses on (I can also read without them but only if the material is about 3 inches from my eyes), as I got older I discovered I could read by sliding the glasses down my nose. This allowed me to delay getting progressives/bifocals for several years, until I recently started running out of nose.

I also have a pair of single vision glasses for the computer, these are weaker than I need for distance but I can walk around the office with them and see clearly enough, stuff that is more than 7-8 feet away gets blurry. These also are usable for reading, particularly if I slide them down my nose a bit.
The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions. ― John C. Bogle
chaz

Post by chaz »

I started wearing glasses when I was 9 yrs old.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 »

I voted yes, but I only wear them so I can take them off during board meetings when I want to make a point.
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister
porcupine

Post by porcupine »

tludwig23 wrote:I voted yes, but I only wear them so I can take them off during board meetings when I want to make a point.
I should try that. On second thoughts, I would first need to find a way to gatecrash those meetings! :wink:

- Porcupine
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

Yes I do and have for 55 years. Cataract/implant surgery occurring in 2 weeks!
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
Curlyq

Post by Curlyq »

Last edited by Curlyq on Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BenBritt

Post by BenBritt »

Only to see.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

Very, very strong prescription.

I was wearing disposable contact lenses until I ran out in September, then decided to wait until January to get new ones so I could pay with my 2012 Flexible Spending Account, then got so used to glasses that I'm in no rush now that it's January.
interplanetjanet

jeffyscott wrote:I've got a very strong -8.5 and -8.75 prescription and had never been able to tolerate anything but CR-39. The problem with all the thinner materials is the thinner they are, generally the lower the abbe value is, which means that the chromatic aberration is worse. Then the stronger your prescription the more aberration there is as well.
A friend of mine has a prescription similar to yours and he swears by doped glass - he used Zeiss Lantal for a while and then something else later with a better Abbe number (though it was a bit thicker). High-index glass is still big in Europe, so I hear.
I'm amazed at the marketing or whatever that puts people with mild prescriptions like yours, where the CR-39 lenses are not going to be that thick anyway, into optically inferior materials like poly. My wife has a +2 or so prescription and all she did was ask for CR-39 and scratch resistant coating at the big chain, and the "optician" asks if she wants just regular scratch resistant or the super-de-duper scratch resistant for just a little more. So she says I'll take the super-de-duper. This place has their preset packages, where you can't get coating B with lens material A and what not, so this scratch resistant choice was used to switch her from CR-39 to poly without telling her this. So then the glasses were intolerable and returned for a refund within a week.
Yes! It's crazy - the last priority of opticians while choosing lens materials often appears to be optical quality. What's kind of "funny" is that poly actually scratches much more easily than CR-39, even with a coating - it is more *impact* resistant, but flexes and deforms more easily and develops scratches through very minor contact. The arguments I have to have to get my kids CR-39 instead of poly are just silly - none of them play sports where they're likely to benefit at all from the impact properties of poly, but they live rugged lives and lenses that scratch won't last.
However, with my latest glasses, I was convinced to give Trivex a try, this is not the thinnest, but is the lightest material. This has abbe value of 44 vs. 58 for CR-39 and 30 for poly and similar low values for most high or mid index materials. The other advantage for people with strong negative prescriptions, like mine, is they can make the center thickness 1 mm with Trivex vs. 2 mm with CR-39 and other materials, thinner center means thinner edge. For the first time, I am happy with something other than CR-39.
My mom's latest lenses are Trivex and she's very happy with them. I think it's a good compromise material. High-index glass can be ground to 1mm too, though there have been some concerns about liability in the USA (of course).

-janet
interplanetjanet

NAVigator wrote:It is rare and even difficult to get prescription lens made of glass. Now that most of us have plastic lenses, when will the term "glasses" change? What will it change to?
Spectacles?

I've not had a problem getting glass lenses. If your optician uses VSP labs, they can accomodate a variety of glass orders and the quality seems quite high. I don't know about most people, but the difference is still quite noticeable to me - CR-39 is definitely clearly than poly, and glass is another step clearer and sharper than CR-39 (but heavier!).

-janet
interplanetjanet

nisiprius wrote:
interplanetjanet wrote:blue lights in particular are very smeared
You are experiencing the chromatic aberration of the eye. Don't you know the wonderful story about that? Doubtless oversimplified, but: a) Newton believes that lenses must have chromatic aberration, so he invents the reflecting telescope thinking it is the only solution to the problem; b) Euler, I think, observes that the eye is obviously achromatic and therefore achromatic lenses must be possible, works out the math, and telescope makers start making crown/flint achromats. c) Only after achromatic lenses are developed and in wide use do people finally discover that the eye is not achromatic at all! Brain postprocessing.
Ha, yes. I know what you're talking about, but I can clearly see my astigmatism across the spectrum when looking at something glowing across a room (LEDs seem to be the worst at this, actually), showing up as doubled "SW/NE" images, worst in my left eye. Blue light is smeared more in general but in the direction of my astigmatism it's *really* bad - my DirecTV reciever has a little blue circle that lights up when it's on. If I look at it in a dark room with just my left eye, it's a pair of rings, with just about the same separation as the olympic rings (just barely linked). Oy.
nisiprius wrote:I remember observing this in a dramatic way in high school chemistry when we did "bead tests." You're looking at a glowing loop of wire in a Bunsen burner, and you're looking through cobalt glass, which blocks out the sodium yellow but passes both the high and low ends of the spectrum. And by golly, the wire looks like a red line with a blue halo around it, and by doing something I was actually able to refocus my eye and see a blue line line with a red halo around it.
Very cool.
nisiprius wrote:
interplanetjanet wrote:As presbyopia continues to take hold and reduce my close-up vision (it has already started, much to my annoyance)
Hah! It started when you were a kid. Watch little kids. They'll hold things six inches away from their eyes because they can focus all the way down to that distance. Presbyopia is a continuous process, we just don't notice it until our close-focussing distance is farther than our comfortable reading distance. Age 40 for me.
Yes, I started noticing it when I realized what was happening at about age 15 (shaving my armpits and not being able to focus on the razor head :roll:). Just for grins, I asked my 13yo daughter to read one of the microprint lines on a check this last weekend (a 5 cent Vanguard dividend check, as it turns out). She could focus well at 2-3". My current closest in-focus plane (at 36) is more like 5-6". I'm hoping that as prebyopia continues I end up with an in-focus plane somewhere around 20-24" and I'll get to mostly dodge the need for readers. :)
nisiprius wrote:
interplanetjanet wrote:II have a dedicated pair of glasses for stargazing and nighttime nature watching, these are crown glass with a slightly stronger prescription that allows me to focus just past infinity.
Oh, thank goodness. I'm not the only one. That is always an issue for me, optometrists feel they are breaking the rules if they write the prescription for infinity instead of twenty feet. My optometrist does it, but under protest. Did you have to beg and plead?
Yes! I need to do so again with my current optometrist, actually (my Rx has actually gotten slightly weaker over the last two years). They're just plain glass with an A/R coating and I'm amazed at how well the coatings hold up when bonded to glass. I'm careful with my glasses but the coatings usually start to wear or flake after a year or two no matter what, these look the same as the day they were made.

-janet
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

interplanetjanet wrote:A friend of mine has a prescription similar to yours and he swears by doped glass - he used Zeiss Lantal for a while and then something else later with a better Abbe number (though it was a bit thicker). High-index glass is still big in Europe, so I hear.
From what I've read glass, in general, is still common in Europe. I don't think I'd like the weight of glass, though.

I don't know how it would hold up for kids, but the newer (and costly) AR coatings, like crizal, teflon, etc. supposedly have scratch resistance near that of glass. I want the AR coating anyway, and I've been happy with added bonus of the excellent scratch resistance.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

interplanetjanet wrote:I
I have a dedicated pair of glasses for stargazing and nighttime nature watching, these are crown glass with a slightly stronger prescription that allows me to focus just past infinity.
-janet
OK, don't keep us waiting. What is out there?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
interplanetjanet

jeffyscott wrote:
interplanetjanet wrote:A friend of mine has a prescription similar to yours and he swears by doped glass - he used Zeiss Lantal for a while and then something else later with a better Abbe number (though it was a bit thicker). High-index glass is still big in Europe, so I hear.
From what I've read glass, in general, is still common in Europe. I don't think I'd like the weight of glass, though.
It does weigh more, but it's very manageable for someone like me with a low power prescription. Supposedly Lantal and similar have such a high index of refraction relative to their density that they can actually be lighter than plastics for the same Rx, but that high IR comes with a lower Abbe number than undoped glass. Everything is a compromise.

I do love the scratch resistance of glass. I could polish an old set of glass glasses I had (with A/R coating) with my t-shirt and never even ding the coating. Which brings us to...
I don't know how it would hold up for kids, but the newer (and costly) AR coatings, like crizal, teflon, etc. supposedly have scratch resistance near that of glass. I want the AR coating anyway, and I've been happy with added bonus of the excellent scratch resistance.
A friend of mine is an optical engineer, and he put it to me like this:

A large part of what makes a coating hold up comes down to the characteristics of the material it's bonded to. Imagine your A/R coating is like a sheet of paper towel. Hold it against a piece of something hard (like glass) and something soft like a pillow and poke gently at it from random directions - the sheet against the hard surface is much harder to make a hole in. Other things being equal, a coating on a material with less flex will outlast ones on material with more flex.

He went on to talk about how some of the composite coatings they make now basically underlay the A/R layer itself with some kind of intermediary that helps to make the transition less abrupt, and hopefully makes them last longer.

My 11yo daughter is the only child of mine who wears glasses full time, but she's incredibly rough on them. I had hers made of CR-39, uncoated, and that seems to hold up against everything she can throw at them for at least a year at a time.

-janet
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

nisiprius wrote:My "normal glasses" have a larger-than-normal reading section with the bifocal line higher than usual. The other day I saw a casual acquaintance who happens to be an optometrist, for the first time in years, and the first words out of his mouth is "Your bifocal line is too high." Sigh. I spend most of my visual life at a computer screen. Optometrists believe you should be doing that through the top half of your bifocals. That just plain doesn't work for me, something about the way my brain is wired, I can't read immersively unless the print is toward the bottom of my visual field. So I position my screen low, and my bifocal line is high... and my reading section is a compromise power, workable for both computer screens and books.
My computer/most-of-the-time bifocals are similarly configured. Thought I was the only one. Had the darnedest time convincing my eye doctor and the eyeglass store people that I really, truly wanted the "computer" portion at the bottom of the bifocals and explaining why. I find having intermediate-distance focusing at the bottom of the glasses convenient for other activities like using a sewing machine. Handy too for seeing the car's dashboard; otherwise everything's a blur.

I have another pair of bifocals just for reading books.

I've worn cat-eye glasses thick-as-Coke-bottle-bottoms since I was seven. Don't know how that happened. Neither of my parents wore glasses until late middle-age.
TheEternalVortex

Post by TheEternalVortex »

No "sometimes" option?