Did you ever regret your career choice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Did you ever regret your career choice?

1) Ja, yes
50%
2) Nein, no
50%

Total votes: 161

VictoriaF

Re: Did you ever regret your career choice

Post by VictoriaF »

JennMcNeal23 wrote:It is interesting that so many people regret their career choice. Here is a list I found of the top majors based on job satisfaction and popular appeal:

-Food Science
-Anthropology
-Physical Therapy
-Viticulture
-Foreign Language
-Actuarial Science
-Comparative Religion
-Environmental Engineering
-Film Studies
-Psychology

Funny because I don't see many people making much money with any of those bachelors degrees save for food science, physical therapy, and environmental engineering. I know they say money doesn't buy happiness but, you need to make some $$ in order to live comfortably...guess these peoples careers are more rewarding than a high salary?
This list is probably changing frequently. In the 1960s physicists ruled. In the 1990s computer scientists must have been very satisfied with their jobs. In the early 2000s real estate was a career of choice.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
GregLee

Post by GregLee »

ObliviousInvestor wrote: And French and Spanish classes were a blast. Learning another language is so neat -- getting to see all the similar word origins, the idiosyncrasies of grammar, and the way inflection is remarkably similar across (those) languages.
Those are the typical interests of a linguist.
Greg, retired 8/10.
Lollytiger

Post by Lollytiger »

In order for me to regret my career choice (Comp Sci), I'd have to know for sure I'd be happier off in another career. It's quite possible I have the best career choice of all, nevertheless if I got fired from my current job and someone offered me something paying reasonably well in another career with good work/life balance, I'd be very tempted to take it.

I have kind of disliked my job choices, but there weren't any alternatives (besides declining job offers in the middle of a recession) so the choices weren't really a mistake, nevertheless my last job definitely was not ideal and my current one could be really bad (but really well paying until I get fired or ragequit, as well as good for the resume, which compensates somewhat). It could also be really good! Of course, I worry about the first possibility.
Babakhani

Post by Babakhani »

No. I have a very good life.
But I am the type of person that would enjoy anything. Everything in the world is interesting.
What is light without dark?
praxis

Post by praxis »

Nope.
But I didn't "choose" it either. "the voices" stopped me at the Peace Corps signup table in the student union during grad school and I left for Latin America in 3 weeks. After my tour, a company recruited me to build their businesses there. Thirty years later I retired after the perfect career for me. I could not have drafted a script better suited for my abilities or more satisfying for my view.

By the way, the only thing that rhymes with orange in English is "door hinge".