IMac?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
snyder66

IMac?

Post by snyder66 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:45 pm

I finally made dome time today to check out some laptops. Yes, I started previous threads about this subject. I guess I did not know they existed. I was blown away by the screen size. And, I know my wife would love the iphoto program. I guess I al ask again. Are they s decent value? I an not sure how much portability we need anyway. I had no idea the all-in-ones were so dreamlike.rd and WiFi. Any help would be appreciated.

retiredjg

Re: IMac?

Post by retiredjg » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:03 pm

iMAC refers to the full sized table top version. The laptops are MacBook and MacBook Air. The MacBooks do cost more than PC laptops, but I believe they are of equal or better value because they last longer before becoming obsolete.

It's much like Pepsi and Coke - you'll just have to form your own opinion. I switched to MacBook 4+ years ago and never looked back. I'm very happy with it. :D

Jake46

Post by Jake46 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:12 pm

I have an iMac & wife has a Mac PowerBook. We are both happy with our computers but I have to admit that I have been a Mac guy since 1984. Wife's PowerBook has a 15" screen, plenty large enough for even my poor eyes.

swaption

Post by swaption » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:55 pm

We bought a 27" iMac. Others manufacturers als have all in ones and I think they are definitely the way to go now. Ours is in a very visible space. With wi-fi, it looks nice and clean. Even have a wireless printer tucked away in a cabinet. iMacs are more expensive, but once you get done with the specs, I thought a reasonable differnece on an apples to apples basis (excuse the pun). Switched form windows, so a decent learning curve. But platform is solid as a rock. It's a really sleek machine. Kids love it.

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:19 pm

Macs are more expensive than PC's, but I like them more.

I would wait until April before purchasing a new computer. Apple traditionally updates its iMac and MacBook lineup in the spring (March usually, sometimes late April). Ivy Bridge, USB3.0, and Bluetooth 4.0 are rumored to be part of the upgrades.

menthol

Post by menthol » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:34 pm

The iMacs are an excellent value for the money, and are actually quite powerful. Buy with confidence, although southerndoc's caution about a possible upgrade coming down the pike soon does apply. (Then again, there's always a newer model due at some point in the future, which doesn't render yours obsolete the moment it happens.)

Van

Post by Van » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:38 pm

I have a MacBook Pro laptop, and my wife has an iMac. Until 3 years ago, we were PC folks. We have no intention of going back.

Does an 8 oz. NY strip steak cost more than an 8 oz. hamburger? Up to a point, you get what you pay for.

snyder66

Post by snyder66 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:43 pm

Not unless it'd a Kobe burger. Filet is way overrated.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:56 pm

I have an iMac (21 1/2" size) and I love the screen; I was tempted by the 24" (not offered anymore), but couldn't justify the extra cost.

Now if you are used to Windows and can hold out just a little while longer, Vizio, the tv company, has announced its entry into the computer business with both laptops and all-in-ones. The all-in-ones look nice; the computer is in the base which holds all the inputs and outputs under the monitor.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/vizi ... s-pc-line/

google vizio computer and when you get the results, click on news on the left for more stories.

Karin

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:34 am

I have never owned a Windows PC but have owned numerous Macs since the beginning of 1985. Last summer I bought a 27" iMac for my desktop. Best computer experience and best deal for the money I have ever owned. Having a big-screen on the desk with a fast computer and high-speed Internet is just wonderful.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

TT

Post by TT » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:24 am

Here's the best part of the new models of the imac
Now I am really tempted

"CUPERTINO, California—May 3, 2011—Apple® today updated its signature all-in-one iMac® with next generation quad-core processors, powerful new graphics, groundbreaking high-speed Thunderbolt I/O technology and a new FaceTime® HD camera. Starting at $1,199, the new iMac is up to 70 percent faster and new graphics deliver up to three times the performance of the previous generation.*"

snyder66

Post by snyder66 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:39 am

That is a big jump. Maybe I will save my money and get a refurb laptop.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:49 am

snyder66 wrote:And, I know my wife would love the iphoto program.
iPhoto is OK. To be honest, it hasn't been my favorite thing since switching to Mac. It's alright but it's nothing to really get hyped about (at least for me). My wife does the photo thing a lot more than me and she keeps them on our PC instead of the Macbook.

iMovie on the other hand, for basic video editing, is terrific and very user friendly for beginners (like me)!

the_martian

Post by the_martian » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:13 pm

snyder66: That is a big jump. Maybe I will save my money and get a refurb laptop.
Let me strongly advise you not to take the cheapest route. You will regret it.

These days, computers have (sadly) become expendable items. Almost all machines are only good for about 3 to 4 years. You can nurse them along beyond that (and I do!), but the pain is generally not worth it. The useful life of a cheaper machine will be substantially shorter, and in about a year or two you will have to buy again.

I work with computers and use both Apple and PC products. I find that the Apple products generally last longer than PCs before needing a complete upgrade. Apple products are more friendly and complete out-of-the-box. Apple is known for its high-quality multi-media software. The Apple products tend to be much more reliable, and less subject to viruses. You pay for this, though. Apple costs 1.5 to 2 times as much, but the total package is probably that much better. On the other hand, much more software is written for PCs, particularly in gaming. It's a personal judgement, and there is a substantial learning curve if you change platforms. For Apple products and pricing, look here: http://store.apple.com/us/ (If you decide to keep the desktop setup, you can save money by buying a "mini"... just something else to consider.)

My general strategy in buying a computer goes something like this: determine what the top-of-the-line is for consumer products, and then purchase one level down from that. This gives a much longer service life than buying the lowest-end products, but at a substantial savings from the cost of the bleeding-edge. I use the @#$% things professionally. For general-purpose use, you might go two levels down from the top. But again, avoid the bottom of the scale.

In any case, for either platform, do not go below 4GB of RAM! These days that is the minimum to run most things well, and the trend is to use more and more memory.

Oh, one more thing... laptops are way cool! you pay a price premium, but I think it's usually worth it for the flexibility it gives you... it depends on your lifestyle and applications.

snyder66

Post by snyder66 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:03 pm

Wow. Is that really the expected lifespan of a laptop?

greensky

Post by greensky » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:06 pm

If you're trying to time the purchase of a Mac, this is a good resource. They follow the typical Apple release schedules and give you a good indicator of when new products should be out.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Wading Ashore

iMac

Post by Wading Ashore » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:37 pm

FWIW - I have an Apple desktop (bought 6/08 and working perfectly) and my spouse has an Apple laptop. For me, the desktop is more comfortable to use, but they're both outstanding machines. I previously had a Dell desktop; would never go back.
Jack shall have Jill, nought shall go ill, the man shall have his mare again, and all will be well.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:00 pm

greensky wrote:If you're trying to time the purchase of a Mac, this is a good resource. They follow the typical Apple release schedules and give you a good indicator of when new products should be out.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
I like the macrumors's buyers guide. Note about the iMac:
Recommendation Don't Buy - Updates soon
I bought an iMac in 2009, and I waited for the new version released in October, 2009, before buying.

鲍勃不是我的名字

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:08 pm

sscritic wrote:I have an iMac (21 1/2" size) and I love the screen; I was tempted by the 24" (not offered anymore), but couldn't justify the extra cost.

Now if you are used to Windows and can hold out just a little while longer, Vizio, the tv company, has announced its entry into the computer business with both laptops and all-in-ones. The all-in-ones look nice; the computer is in the base which holds all the inputs and outputs under the monitor.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/vizi ... s-pc-line/

google vizio computer and when you get the results, click on news on the left for more stories.

Karin

WOW!!!!!

blacktupelo

Post by blacktupelo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:42 pm

Use the Apple Refurb store to buy a refurbished iMac at 16% off new but with the same warranty as new. You can even have it delivered for pickup at your nearest Apple store. Have bought two refurb iMacs in the past four years and they were both good systems. I now have an i5 iMac 21.5" system and it is great. This generation of iMacs is the best yet and I've had Macs since 1985 (and a couple Windows PCs too).

If you already have a good LCD screen and keyboard and mouse, the Mac mini is an even more cost effective way to go, though you have two main parts then, the screen and the Mac. I concur that you want at minimum 4Gb of memory.

My iMac before this one was the 24" screen and was also nice but a little too large for my needs; 27" is way too large. 21.5" is just right.

iPhoto comes on all Mac models along with Mail, Safari browser, iTunes. Apple's Numbers (spreadsheet) and Pages (word processing) are very good, reasonably priced alternative to Microsoft's Excel and Word.
Last edited by blacktupelo on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Larry

FabLab

Post by FabLab » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:49 pm

Looking to buy a new iMac this year. The one I have is from 2006 with a 20" screen. Really tempted to follow up on Michael's note earlier and purchase the 27" screen.
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld

ieee488

Post by ieee488 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:05 pm

the_martian wrote:The Apple products tend to be much more reliable, and less subject to viruses.
The more reliable part is not true if you believe the most recent PC Magazine survey, but Mac users seems to be more tolerant when their Macs break.

Apple has a way of rewriting old maxims. For instance, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" becomes, "If it's broke, we still really, really like our MacBooks."
and
Once again, Apple's ratings are in their own league despite the fact that 15% of the Apple notebooks rated in our survey needed repairs within the last 12 months. That's significantly worse than the industry average, and it's a higher rate of repair than everyone but Alienware (21%), Dell (19%), and Gateway (16%). Nine brands had better repair rates; three were even down into the single digits: Samsung (5%), Asus (9%) and Acer (9%).

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384243,00.asp

You have wonder what Kool-aid the Mac owners are drinking. Perception not being reality.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:00 am

ieee488 wrote:
the_martian wrote:The Apple products tend to be much more reliable, and less subject to viruses.
The more reliable part is not true if you believe the most recent PC Magazine survey, but Mac users seems to be more tolerant when their Macs break.

Apple has a way of rewriting old maxims. For instance, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" becomes, "If it's broke, we still really, really like our MacBooks."
and
Once again, Apple's ratings are in their own league despite the fact that 15% of the Apple notebooks rated in our survey needed repairs within the last 12 months. That's significantly worse than the industry average, and it's a higher rate of repair than everyone but Alienware (21%), Dell (19%), and Gateway (16%). Nine brands had better repair rates; three were even down into the single digits: Samsung (5%), Asus (9%) and Acer (9%).

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384243,00.asp

You have wonder what Kool-aid the Mac owners are drinking. Perception not being reality.
Well, the reality is that I did have one lemon of an imac that needed to be repaired 4 times. I wasn't happy about that. But all four repairs were free (no I didn't buy a warrantee), and quick. So it was an inconvenience to have my computer go down and I might have been less happy if I hadn't had mac stores nearby, but overall I wasn't dissatisfied. So I guess I fall into your category of liking my mac even though it broke.

Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:35 am

A very nice Windows all-in-one is the Sony L series. Cheaper than a Mac, with 24" monitor, decent integrated speakers, and a nice chiclet style Bluetooth keyboard. Much nicer in my opinion than the HP, Dell or Asus all-in-ones. I got one for my mother for Christmas and so far, so good. The price for the spec is a bit high, but not as bad as a Mac, and you can get deals on them.