Active Winter Outerwear

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
guitarguy

Active Winter Outerwear

Post by guitarguy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:58 am

I like to hike and such in the snow in the winter time (Michigan).

I have a great North Face jacket that I love. Plenty warm and has vents in the underarms to help stay 'cool' when being active in the cold weather.

I would love some recommendations for gloves and maybe even winter hats that would be well suited to use during these activities. Any skiers or active winter people have recommendations? Brands, styles, etc etc.

Warm and "wind proof" would be great especially for the gloves.

Now if we can only turn 38 and rainy into 28 and snowy! :)

gdm129

Re: Active Winter Outerwear

Post by gdm129 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:36 am

for my winter running in Boston I've had good luck with manzella gloves, chi-nook windstopper model great for most cold runs but you may need more warmth for hiking where your body may not be generating as much heat as running. I've used manzella "get intense" model gloves for well below zero wind chill runs. I think manzella has a great line of options and good quality throughout the line

papazim

Post by papazim » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:43 am

I am a runner -- mostly year round -- here in Minneapolis. My glove wear of choice has been a pair of Champion Tech Stretch Gloves under a windproof shell. For "typical" winter runs I have Asics shells that do a good job of keeping the wind out. When I need to tie my shoe or skip a song on my iPod, they slip off easily and I can manipulate what I need to without removing the gloves underneath. For really cold weather, shells with a thicker liner do the trick.

*Now that I look, I see Asics sells a set of gloves/mittens like I describe above as a "All In One Mitt" kit.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:21 am

Smartwool makes some nice pullovers, beanies, and thermals. Thin, light, yet warm.

It is currently -22 (Farhenheit) where I live. This morning, I walked to work wearing some smartwool items (along with a down parka) and it really wasn't too bad.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:08 pm

I'm a skiier and I like Swany Toaster for gloves. They have a built in glove liner and the exterior is an insulated mitten. This keeps my fingers warmer than a glove but I can unzip the sides to expose the fingers and still have dexterity for buckling my boots, etc. Not to mention, I can put handwarmers inside (between the mitten and the glove) as well. I like Polartec thermals but if you want to splurge, silk thermals are the best. They're lightweight and warm. I don't wear hats because I ski with a helmet but I wear a TurtleFur (though I'm sure any brand will do) baklava underneath on cold days.

-Steph

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:52 pm

I'm a skier. Gore-Tex has been the king of waterproof and breathable gear for years, but there are a bunch of other fabrics out there claiming better performance than Gore-Tex.

http://www.polartec.com/in-the-loop/pop ... shell.aspx

http://www.getoutdoors.com/goblog/index ... Drawn.html

http://www.adventure-journal.com/2010/1 ... -gore-tex/

http://www.dailyhiker.com/gear/gore-tex ... ater-test/

Try searching under:

Polartec Neoshell
Columbia/Mountain Hardwear Dry.Q Elite, Outdry
eVent

Recently purchased a pair of Columbia Outdry gloves w/ Omni-Heat. Don't know if Outdry is better than Gore-Tex but the one time I skied this year they kept me warm and dry and breathe at least as well as my Gore-Tex gloves.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:36 pm

For extreme conditions with wind, snow and temps below 20 degrees I would recommend any of the mid to high end Black Diamond gloves. That brand seems to be the most popular with the ski patrol in Colorado. Take a look at REI and Patagonia online if you are not near one of their stores. I am certain that you will find what you want at either store. Good luck.

Brody

Post by Brody » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:48 am

I'm a runner. Until the last couple of years, I've never had an issue with my feet being cold on my outdoor winter runs. Any suggestions for running socks that will keep my feet warm?
I am the poster formerly known as Oneanddone.

hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:20 am

Brody wrote:I'm a runner. Until the last couple of years, I've never had an issue with my feet being cold on my outdoor winter runs. Any suggestions for running socks that will keep my feet warm?

Anything that has "Merino Wool" in it. The higher %, the better. Smartwool is the most popular brand, but it is just a brand name. Brand name probably does not matter much.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:17 pm

Hi everyone thanks for all the replies!

I was talking to a co-worker here and he has a pair of higher end North Face gloves for snowboarding. I priced them out as well as some others mentioned here, and they seem quite similar in terms of material and such. Lifetime warranty, and I love my jacket made by them so that's a plus.

Looks like I'll be spending around $100 for a nice pair. A bit more than I expected but they should last!

dcb

Post by dcb » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:22 pm

Here is my choice for a winter hat: The 'Original Stormy Kromer'. It is wool, warm, stays on in high wind, and a little unconventional. Made by da 'Yoopers' of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, eh.

http://www.stormykromer.com/mens/caps/o ... kromer-cap