Good walking hiking shoes?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Jay69

Good walking hiking shoes?

Post by Jay69 »

Anybody have anything good to say about a brand of walking/hiking shoe?

My goal is to do something physical every day for an hour to hour and half. I use my elliptical for about an hour 1-2 days a week and the other 4-5 days I walk outside for about an hour and a half.

The elliptical is easy on shoes as they are not hitting the road etc and last a long time, the insides go to heck before the tread is gone, no issue here.

Walking/hiking is another story, I have burned thru a pair of shoes in less than two months, my current pair have made it about 8-9months, best pair thus far.

I figure the current pair have made it about 500-600miles, just suffered the first blow out, the bottoms are gone. They are manufactured by Columbia.

http://www.columbia.com/Men%E2%80%99s-D ... lt,pd.html

I walk in the rain and snow mostly on the road and tar paths summer and winter. Also hike in the woods when we camp about 4 times a year.

Waterproof –Breathable is very important, prefer more of a boot style with some ankle support, good tread for the snow.

Some brands I can remember that did not make the grade were Reebox, Nike and Cabelas store brand.

Sure would like to get a little more miles out of a pair, any suggestions?

Am I asking to much of a pair of shoes?

Thanks

Jay
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
tyrion

Re: Good walking hiking shoes?

Post by tyrion »

Got an REI (or similar) near you?

I do a weekly 2-3 hour night hike over rocky terrain, and found that some Merrell lightweigh mid-high boots work really well for me. Originally I was drawn to a different brand with great online reviews.... but they didn't fit right.

You don't want to guess on boot fit if you're going to be wearing them a lot. A good boot can make a world of difference. I would definitely recommend heading someplace with informed staff, then trying on a bunch to see what works for your feet.
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

For walking I prefer New Balance. For hiking (the shoe has heavier construction and more agressive tread) I prefer Nike. I prefer the shoe style, not the boot style. The shoe style is fine in everything but heavy snow and they tend to breathe better. I live in Minnesota and there are only a half dozen days most years when you really need a boot.
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

For walking and general use I use and really like my Merrell Ventillators (REI this year), the sole is pretty ply able so I do not use them for hiking. In New England hiking trails are often rocky or uneven with roots and such so we go to a much harder sole, mine are non waterproof, non leather, low cut Montrails, the model is irrelevant as they are 10 years old.
Regards | Bob
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

tyrion wrote:Got an REI (or similar) near you?

I do a weekly 2-3 hour night hike over rocky terrain, and found that some Merrell lightweigh mid-high boots work really well for me. Originally I was drawn to a different brand with great online reviews.... but they didn't fit right.

You don't want to guess on boot fit if you're going to be wearing them a lot. A good boot can make a world of difference. I would definitely recommend heading someplace with informed staff, then trying on a bunch to see what works for your feet.

You know I forgot all about REI, we have a new REI not to far from work, will give them a try.
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

Peter Foley wrote:For walking I prefer New Balance. For hiking (the shoe has heavier construction and more agressive tread) I prefer Nike. I prefer the shoe style, not the boot style. The shoe style is fine in everything but heavy snow and they tend to breathe better. I live in Minnesota and there are only a half dozen days most years when you really need a boot.
Live in Minnesota as well, the one problem I have with a shoe in winter is I always wind up with snow getting in from the top. Also like the taller boot style to save the ankle from everytime I do the slide :wink:

Big plus for the shoe is weight, thats a plus. Its all a trade off is it not.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

My husband prefers New Balance for walking. Especially the basketball shoe which has a bit of boot that he says prevents his ankles from twisting.

For hiking (and walking) I've had good experience with LL.Bean hiking boots and Ariat. I walk/hike at least an hour a day.

REI is great and I also suggest that you shop there. They have these wonderful, super-thick raggwool socks which provide absolutely superb cushioning for hiking. They're only about $10/pair. According to the REI web site people wear these with hiking boots, sometimes wearing an underlayer of thin Smartwool socks. Smartwool socks are also great with hiking boots.

I bought a pair of Ariat workboots in a wide size and wear them with the REI raggwool socks. Really comfy. Not joking when I say I find this combination even more comfortable than my bedroom slippers. :)

I suggest that when you shop for hiking boots you try them on with the socks you plan to wear so that you can buy them a bit roomy. I prefer the REI raggwool socks and Smartwool socks. You can find Ariat boots on Zappos. The online store Sierra Trading Post has the very best prices on Smartwool socks.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Jay69 wrote:
tyrion wrote:Got an REI (or similar) near you?

You know I forgot all about REI, we have a new REI not to far from work, will give them a try.
You won't find bad shoes at REI.

You might find that trail running shoes work well for what you want to do, or a light weight hiking shoe. They are not the same but either might suit you. If you want to walk in all weather get some that are water proof.

I have a pair of North Face trail running shoes that are water proof and have been very happy with them. I also have a pair of La Sportiva hiking shoes. They are less soft and cushioning, but offer more support for tough trails and a modest backpack. As noted above, others like light weight hiking boots, which have more ankle support.

Best to try them on. A pair that fits well no matter the style will always beat a style more in line with what you want to do, but does not fit.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Midpack

Post by Midpack »

I've had Merrell Moabs and Refuge Cores, would buy either again in a heartbeat. Comfortable right out of the box and well designed for hiking IMO.
You only live once...
shmidds

Post by shmidds »

inov8
JULIE

Post by JULIE »

I really like the Merrells for hiking. Mine had weathered several different climates and keep on ticking. The only issue is that if you get the gore-tex for waterproofness, it does not ventilate like .. well... running sneakers ;)
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I have difficult to fit (narrow) feet and have been very pleased with Brooks Addiction Walkers for comfort and fit (various widths available). I've also had very good luck with Lynco orthodics. A combination of the two is excellent. These are best for walking, not rugged hikes.

I will also add that Zappos VIP program is excellent. It has allowed me to try multiple pairs of shoes at no cost (free overnight shipping, free return shipping and 365 days for return) in order to find shoes that fit right. Their shoes may not be the cheapest, but I'd rather find the right shoes rather than the cheapest shoes.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
AerialP

Post by AerialP »

I am not a big "brand" kind of guy but I swear by Keen shoes for footwear, and, yes, also swear by REI.
And, yes, also swear by Vanguard. But that's about the limit of my brand allegiance!
gatorking

Post by gatorking »

You might want to try Vasque as well. The fit is a little different from the Merrells. Go with what is comfortable, obviously.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

After looking at the photo of your boots that wore out, I suggest you look at Danner hiking boots, especially any of the ones that can be resoled.

They are built to last.

They cost a bit more at time of purchase, but will keep going long (years) after a cheaper brand is worn out.

http://www.danner.com/boots/

regards,
Bruce | | Winner of the 2017 Bogleheads Contest | | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
magician

Post by magician »

I do a lot of trail running and horseback riding and have found that Ariat's Terrain boot is spectacular: it's light, durable, and extremely comfortable.

I've had both of my ACLs replaced with cadaver grafts, and fifteen years ago when I tried running in proper running shoes (on streets) I went about a mile and could barely walk because my knees hurt so much. With the Ariats I can run 6, 8, 10 miles or more on streets or trails with no problems at all.

Unfortunately, they're fairly expensive: about $100 per pair.

Like others above, I'm a big REI fan. However, they don't have anything designed for horseback riding (i.e., with a heel), so I had to look elsewhere. I found the Ariats at Boot Barn.
Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.
partisan

Post by partisan »

I also recommend REI, I have a pair of ASOLO boots from there that I love. I've backpacked a few hundred miles in them without any noticeable wear issues. Most of my hiking is in PA/WV on rocky terrain so the boots get a workout.

My wife has Merrill hiking boots which she loves, she doesn't hike as much as me but she's had them since 2003 and they're still waterproof and work well. Hiking boots can be expensive but I've found paying a bit more upfront is worth it, a good boot will last.
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

Thank you every one, going to stop by REI in the next few days, last night was a perfect night for a walk, tonight not so much!
MDfive21

Post by MDfive21 »

i have a pair of merrel boots with goretex and a vibram outsole. they're very comfortable and have held up well.

also see trail shoe recommendations
skibbi9

Post by skibbi9 »

Have Keen boots and love them

http://www.keenfootwear.com/
Jamieson22

Post by Jamieson22 »

I'll second the rec for Vasque. Had a pair of Vasque Sundowners 20+ years ago, and recently replaced the pair of hiking boots that replaced them with another pair.

They are comfortable, warm and hold up well. Gore-tex is a huge plus for me as I wear them all winter.

Jamie
G12

Post by G12 »

magician wrote:I do a lot of trail running and horseback riding and have found that Ariat's Terrain boot is spectacular: it's light, durable, and extremely comfortable.

I've had both of my ACLs replaced with cadaver grafts, and fifteen years ago when I tried running in proper running shoes (on streets) I went about a mile and could barely walk because my knees hurt so much. With the Ariats I can run 6, 8, 10 miles or more on streets or trails with no problems at all.

Unfortunately, they're fairly expensive: about $100 per pair.

Like others above, I'm a big REI fan. However, they don't have anything designed for horseback riding (i.e., with a heel), so I had to look elsewhere. I found the Ariats at Boot Barn.
I am a fan of Ariat boots. Not made for hiking, but the current Ariat Workhog H2O pull-on waterproof work boots are the most comfortable I have ever owned, amazingly better than some I have had in the past from other companies. The footbed is very comfortable and supportive. More like a round nosed cowboy boot but I can easily walk the dogs with them in the rain with zero discomfort.
Northster

Post by Northster »

I recently looked at the selection at REI and settled on a pair from NorthFace. Goretex lining and Vibram soles. Too early to tell about durability, but based on previous experience with serious mountain boots the Vibram can't be beat for tread and long life.
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

Peter Foley wrote:For walking I prefer New Balance. For hiking (the shoe has heavier construction and more agressive tread) I prefer Nike. I prefer the shoe style, not the boot style. The shoe style is fine in everything but heavy snow and they tend to breathe better. I live in Minnesota and there are only a half dozen days most years when you really need a boot.
Indeed. I go through shoes pretty quickly, to my wife's eternal chagrin. And then I got a pair of New Balance 646. Best shoes I've had, good water resistance (it's snowing right now, and they're doing better than my wife's snow boots), and showing no signs of wearing out after six months so far. Excellent tread and traction. They were a little more than I was intending to spend at the time, but they've been well worth it.

One complaint? I use SuperFeet insoles, and the pairing of the two squeaks like anything. :cry:
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

I have Vasque boots I got at REI. The fit is the key. Before that I had a pair of Salomons that gave me blisters and I lost a big toenail coming down Kilimanjaro. Fortunately for me the sole started coming detached from the uppers during a Grand Canyon rim-to-rim which prompted me to go to REI where a wonderful woman spent an hour finding boots that fit me perfectly. No or very little break in required with modern boots.

Fit is everything and the REI folks really know their stuff.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

I like light shoes, such as trail running shoes, for hiking in good weather; it's less work (w=m*a*d).

Compare the weight of Vasque hiking books (3.6lbs ) to New Balance MT101s Trail Running shoes (0.5lbs).

In bad weather I try to stay indoors.
imagardener

Post by imagardener »

FrugalInvestor wrote:I have difficult to fit (narrow) feet and have been very pleased with Brooks Addiction Walkers for comfort and fit (various widths available). I've also had very good luck with Lynco orthodics. A combination of the two is excellent. These are best for walking, not rugged hikes.

I will also add that Zappos VIP program is excellent. It has allowed me to try multiple pairs of shoes at no cost (free overnight shipping, free return shipping and 365 days for return) in order to find shoes that fit right. Their shoes may not be the cheapest, but I'd rather find the right shoes rather than the cheapest shoes.
I have hard to fit feet also, narrow, high arch. Ordered a boatload of shoes from REI (returned all), Amazon (same) and finally Zappos (winner). Brands mean less to me than fit and having ALL the shoes available to try them back and forth is important. Adidas was the winner, water resistant and they were really comfortable on a 3 week trip to Alaska, worn constantly.

I envy people with easy to fit feet.
SpuTTer

Post by SpuTTer »

I agree with Jim, stick with trail runners unless you have some serious need for boots. (you probably dont!)