Deleted

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
letsgobobby

Deleted

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gailcox

Re: Williams Sonoma - what is worth buying there?

Post by gailcox »

How about a nice Chef's knife? Or an All-Clad fry pan? They sell some nice kitchen towels and wonderful aprons. One of my favorite wedding gifts to buy from WS is the ice cream maker or panini press. Go online and check out the sale things. I just ordered some table linens on super sale for the holidays next year. You'll find something...keep looking! (just reread your message----they have a great "Knife Skills" book that is a great staple for the kitchen)
yobria

Post by yobria »

I get WS gift cards occasionally. I ebay them, since I find the prices there outrageous.

Nick
SPG8

Post by SPG8 »

I just got the Hairo V60 Ceramic Coffee Dripper for $23.

Will pave the way for my entry into the world of The Pour-Over Coffee (albeit only on weekends - weekdays are WaWa Original, brewed at home in the Mr Coffee).
Puakinekine

Post by Puakinekine »

Yes, they are a bit pricey, but right now they should have a sale going on. I would take a look at the le Crueset enameled cookware. It is always useful to have at least one of their big pots in a kitchen. I have a Dutch oven, that is 40 years old, that I still use about once a week. If you use cloth napkins, the quality is about the best you are going to find in a conventional store. They also have small kitchen appliances that are usually cheaper elsewhere, but often on sale there. They also have good glassware, knives and cutlery. The food items are ridiculously priced, and they have some silly one purpose appliances, but just go in and browse around. I am sure you will find something. The stores are designed to make everything in them appealing, even to someone who hates cooking as much as I do.
hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber »

You can use plasticjungle or similar site to sell them.

Here is the link to the article that lists bunch of the sites:
http://www.mymoneyblog.com/selling-unwa ... rison.html
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

Give it to me, DW loves shopping there, our kitchen is full of stuff from WS. They are expensive, so I don't shop there, but I have to admit their quality is very good. It's not like the cheap items you get from Walmart. Although I never admit it in front of her, for fear of encouraging it even more. She also loves to shop at Whole Foods. Sigh.

You could get frying pans, knives, so on ..
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Plastic Jungle pays 85% of face for WS gift cards.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
Helloeeze

Post by Helloeeze »

It is expensive and I don't know what $100 will buy. But their spices are good http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products ... seasoning/ and you might buy some quality utensils like pizza cutter (if you use such a thing) and spatulas and such. They will last for years and they are quality. Their cook books are very good, too.
HelenaJustina

Post by HelenaJustina »

If I had a $100 to spend at w&s I'd put it toward upgrading my toaster. The Breville countertop convection oven is awesome for baking when you don't want to heat up the big oven, and their stainless steel 4 slot model is one of the best reviewed out there. If you don't want to be out of pocket, though, I'd get a good knife....
supersharpie

Post by supersharpie »

Interesting factoid...Williams-Sonoma's founder is still kicking at the ripe old age of 96! The company will be celebrating its 56th anniversary this year.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

gailcox wrote:How about a nice Chef's knife? Or an All-Clad fry pan?
I am on their mailing list and got an announcement of the current sale.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/sal ... rc=hppromo

If I had $100 in gift cards burning a hole in my pocket, I might go for All-Clad d5 Stainless-Steel Nonstick Covered French Skillet. Now, I have this thing for copper, but it is always so expensive that I never pull the trigger. But since $100 of this is a gift from someone else,* I might just splurge and go for the Ruffoni Convivium Hammered Copper 3 1/2-Qt. Soup Pot at $189.99 down from an inflated $335.00. But then, I would have to start making soup. Hmm, how cold is it in January where you live?

* I understand that this is irrational, but hey, you have to be that way sometimes.
JennMcNeal23

Post by JennMcNeal23 »

I have purchased several non-stick pans from them that I love. I use them everyday. They also have great hand soap and lotions. I would go for some cookbooks though. I have several of the cookbooks that they sell. I recommend any of Ina Garten's books. They have a lot of great "thirty minute meal" type books, too, if you are too busy to cook feasts regularly!
Midpack

Post by Midpack »

The good thing about Williams-Sonoma is all their merchandise is top notch, there is no junk there and some people are willing to pay a premium for that assurance along with knowledgeable in store help. The bad thing is their prices are full retail, and you can almost always buy the same things elsewhere for less, and should, I almost never buy anything there.

But if you have a gift card, I'm not sure why you'd be reluctant to use it, it's essentially free for you. It's worth buying the best for anything you will use often, even daily. Like others have said, a good cook can always use great knives, great pots & pans. Or maybe you have a kitchen appliance that needs to be replaced. There must be something you actually need to replace in your kitchen. I can spend it for you if needed...
You only live once...
RabbMD

Post by RabbMD »

If you happen to live near an outlet the gift cards work there as well. The outlet prices can be downright cheap. I got a le creuset grill pan and a 12" skillit in nice colors for around $135. I was able to combine gift cards, sales, and a outlet mall coupon book to get then for under $70 a piece.
gunn_show

Post by gunn_show »

you have $100 in free money there, what's the problem? tons of kitchen items to buy with $100 free money ..
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
Calum

Post by Calum »

Puakinekine wrote:If you use cloth napkins, the quality is about the best you are going to find in a conventional store.
Our local WS had summer print cloth napkins on sale for $1 each recently. They are nice napkins.
theresa

Post by theresa »

If you are a tea drinker, Williams and Sonoma is the only store I know that carries Fortnum and Mason loose teas from England. I'm sure I spend at least $100. buying it over the course of a year.

Also, I'm not sure if all stores do it, but the one here gives a 10% discount after you attend one of their free cooking demonstrations on Sundays. The theme for January is "Healthy Cooking".

Check out their website for consumer reviews of favorite things.

Theresa
chi_investor

Post by chi_investor »

The outlet stores (there are only a few) do have great discounts. If you go, check the visitor info booth. Often you can get a coupon book for additional % off.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

sscritic wrote:
gailcox wrote:How about a nice Chef's knife? Or an All-Clad fry pan?
I am on their mailing list and got an announcement of the current sale.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/sal ... rc=hppromo

If I had $100 in gift cards burning a hole in my pocket, I might go for All-Clad d5 Stainless-Steel Nonstick Covered French Skillet. Now, I have this thing for copper, but it is always so expensive that I never pull the trigger. But since $100 of this is a gift from someone else,* I might just splurge and go for the Ruffoni Convivium Hammered Copper 3 1/2-Qt. Soup Pot at $189.99 down from an inflated $335.00. But then, I would have to start making soup. Hmm, how cold is it in January where you live? ...
Soups aren't just for winter. There are some great recipes for summer soups! :)
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

The prices are high, but sales are pretty good and the quality of their glassware, coffee mugs, place mats, table linens, etc., is excellent.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle