Do you own Apple products?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

How many Apple products do you own?

I do not own any Apple products.
25%
13%
14%
7%
7%
5+
35%

Total votes: 239

kirent

Do you own Apple products?

Post by kirent » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:27 pm

There was a notion being tossed around that certain Apple products weren't very Bogleheadish. So I'm curious, how many Apple products do Bogleheads own? I'm curious to see if the majority of Bogleheads have at least one Apple product.
Last edited by kirent on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: I am not a financial or legal expert and all information I provide is given for entertainment purposes only, at your own risk and with no guarantees of accuracy.

sscritic

Re: Do you own Apple products?

Post by sscritic » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:31 pm

Airport Extreme, Airport Express, macbook, iMac, iPod touch, and an old non-functional iPod (it didn't like the toilet). Does the iPod nano I bought that my ex-wife has count?

StoutDrinker

Post by StoutDrinker » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:40 pm

yes, a 3rd gen ipod nano my sister gave me.

GregLee

Post by GregLee » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:42 pm

I have an iPad, which I haven't used very much yet, and that's it. I've never understood the enthusiasm so many people have for Apple products -- expensive, with closed systems, and often rather ugly.
Greg, retired 8/10.

Jake46

Post by Jake46 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:53 pm

Mac guy since 1984. Currently, iMac (his), Mac PowerBook (hers), 2 iPads (his & hers), 2 iPhones (his & hers), iPod (daughter).

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:54 pm

Opps. Missed one. Move me to the 5+ category. :D

kirent

Post by kirent » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:56 pm

retiredjg wrote:Opps. Missed one. Move me to the 5+ category. :D
You can change votes :)
Disclaimer: I am not a financial or legal expert and all information I provide is given for entertainment purposes only, at your own risk and with no guarantees of accuracy.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:10 pm

stives wrote:You can change votes :)
I can? How?

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:12 pm

retiredjg wrote:
stives wrote:You can change votes :)
I can? How?
I just noticed that. If you have already voted, your bubble is filled in. Just click on another bubble and submit. This is not a second vote afaik, but a change as stives indicated.

rr2

Post by rr2 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:23 pm

Macbookpro (his), Mac Mini (hers), iPad (hers), 2 iPhones (hers and his).

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:24 pm

I purchased an iPod touch 4g for my wife last year for her photos and music and to access e-mail and web when traveling and near wi-fi. She likes it a lot. We're thinking about a new lightweight laptop for her and will probably go with an ultrabook rather than the MacBook Air. I just don't think the premium in price is worth it, I don't want to tech-support both Windows and Mac and definitely don't want to go all Mac.

So just one Apple product and do not foresee adding to that count. We do have two i-Home products that dock and charge her Touch - one for the bedroom which doubles as an alarm and one for the workout room.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

joey potsnpans

Post by joey potsnpans » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:25 pm

imac, ipad, ipod touch, iphone, airport extreme
Regards, | | Joe | | It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.- Yogi Berra

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:26 pm

As a kool-aid drinker, I have to say the votes are revealing. Once you have drunk the kool-aid, you are definitely a goner. 5+ in a landslide!

Kool-Aid is a registered trademark of Kraft Brands.
Last edited by sscritic on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:28 pm

Does 100 shares of AAPL count as 1 or 5+?
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:28 pm

sscritic wrote: If you have already voted, your bubble is filled in. Just click on another bubble and submit. This is not a second vote afaik, but a change as stives indicated.
It worked! It added a number to 5+ and subtracted a number from 4. Wow!

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:29 pm

GregLee wrote:I have an iPad, which I haven't used very much yet, and that's it. I've never understood the enthusiasm so many people have for Apple products -- expensive, with closed systems, and often rather ugly.
"Ugly" is an interesting point. What seems objectively true to me is that Apple products make a strong design statement, while competitors for the most part make as weak a design statement as possible. Thus, Apple products tend to evoke strong preferences--people use words like "beautiful" or "ugly." Competitors' products tend to take few risks--it's impossible to care deeply about their industrial design one way or another. How can you love this? How can you hate it? Can you even tell what brand of computer it is without looking at the logo?
Of course, people who simply hate the idea of industrial design and want pure functionality--wouldn't want covers on their machines were it not for RFI--hate Apple, but the competition is not free from industrial design, they just have mediocre industrial design.

The ultimate in pure functionality, free from any annoying design statements, surely was achieved by this case modder who embedded computer components in a freeform blob of spray foam:

Remember this one? Know what kind of computer this is? An Apple G3, you say? Amazing! How did you know?
THAT evoked strong reactions. (I hated it, by the way). When the first one came into the building, it caught the attention of a colleague who hated Apple. He was, however, a hardware guy who was forever taking covers off machines to add and remove cards. So he's looking over this Mac, griping and complaining about how stupid it was--this was the one in which even the power cord was translucent, and you could see the red, black, and green wires inside. And he says "And look at this stupid decoration, why does Apple waste money on stupid decoration like this," as he starts to fiddle with the sort of pull-tab thing on the other side.

And the side pivots open, and comes down flat on the bench, exposing the whole motherboard and every slot and socket in the thing. And the Mac, which was running at the time, goes on running, no problem, not missing a beat.

His jaw drops. He says "That's the best case design I've ever seen." Then a pause. "But I still hate it, though."
Last edited by nisiprius on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:34 pm

I do not own any Apple products personally, but I use an employer-provided MacBook practically constantly when I am awake.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:35 pm

sscritic wrote:As a kool-aid drinker, I have to say the votes are revealing. Once you have drunk the kool-aid, you are definitely a goner.
It's true. Part of it is because you get used to nicely designed stuff that "just works" all the time.

The other is at least partially just good marketing - I buy more Apple stuff rather than PC stuff just because I know it will play nicely with what I have and not cause glitches in a previously well running environment. Windows may have achieved that by now - don't know since I'm not there anymore.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:36 pm

livesoft wrote:I do not own any Apple products personally, but I use an employer-provided MacBook practically constantly when I am awake.
Even while washing clothes.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:38 pm

sscritic wrote:
livesoft wrote:I do not own any Apple products personally, but I use an employer-provided MacBook practically constantly when I am awake.
Even while washing clothes.
And sorting the lights from the darks too!

bearwolf

Post by bearwolf » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:38 pm

stives wrote:There was a notion being tossed around that certain Apple products weren't very Bogleheadish. So I'm curious, how many Apple products do Bogleheads own? I'm curious to see if the majority of Bogleheads have at least one Apple product.
I guess the debate continues to go on. Are you a boglehead if you don't save every possible penny. I'm in the camp that says you should plan and save appropriately and then enjoy your life while you can. We have 10 Mac PC's in our fleet. 5 Desktops (4 in use, 1 spare), 5 laptops and 5 iPhones. I don't regret for a minute the money spent on any of the devices. They have given us years of trouble free use (some minor problems, but nothing compared to when we used Msoft PCs). It is indeed bogleheadish to buy Apple products.

BearWolf

stevewolfe

Post by stevewolfe » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:59 pm

3 - an iPod mini, iPod touch and a Mac Mini (HTPC). I don't know that we'll grow the count beyond that though.

FabLab

Post by FabLab » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 pm

bearwolf wrote: It is indeed bogleheadish to buy Apple products.

BearWolf
Nice!
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:27 pm

1 - an ipod touch

Bought it for a trip to Italy.

Downloaded Rick Steve's podcasts for Pompei, Vatican, Uffizi Museum, Florence,
Colleseum, Parthenon, etc.
I took along a spitter and two earphones to share with my wife.

I saved on guides or other self tours aids, and could stop/start at any point.
Went to Ostia Antiqua where I didn't have a podcast, and didn't really enjoy it,
I didn't know what I was looking at.

I also downloaded an ssh app (login to Unix servers).
I diagnosed a server problem from a couch in a pension (low cost hotel
in the middle of Rome) and emailed how to fix the problem to a colleague.

I didn't have room for a a laptop, but the Ipod Touch fit easily in my pocket.

I thought I was being very frugal, spending a small amount relative to the cost
of the trip to increase my enjoyment and to keep my boss happy.

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:31 pm

Besides the design and the fun and useful free software that comes bundled with all Macs, another point: Can you really say it's that much more expensive if it lasts longer? Since 1994 I've bought exactly five Macs, including four desktops and a laptop. Somehow, despite the long periods between purchases, I only rarely feel like I'm using a dinosaur. My PC friends have always bought new computers way more frequently than I have, sometimes with the excuse that the old one never was the same since it got a virus. A what? :)

Currently, I have (1) a brand new iMac, (2) my 2006 iMac, destined to function as an entertainment system in the bedroom, (3) my 2001 iMac, now functioning as an occasional stereo in the spare bedroom, (4) my iPhone 4 in my pocket, and (5) my iPod Nano that lives in my glove box from which it supplies my car stereo.

Not mentioned above: My 2005 iPod, which is still running strong and was recently given to an appreciative friend whose mp3 player was stolen from her car, as well as my girlfriend's (1) Macbook, (2) iPhone, and (3) iPod.

So, yeah, we own some Apple products. :)

stan1

Post by stan1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:33 pm

Being a Boglehead means carefully considered, best-value purchases -- not necessarily buying the lowest cost item. A Boglehead can pay extra for good design and integration that makes a product more functional, more convenient, or less work to maintain.

My timeline is PC: 1982-1985; Mac: 1985-1996; PC: 1997-2009; Mac: 2010-present. Right now the user interface and integration between my Mac, iPhone, and iPod are worth it. This was not the case in the late 90s/early 00s when I switched back to PCs for a while.

PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:35 pm

currently humming along with 3 desktop macs and cinema displays, two laptops, an iPad, iPod, iPhone, airport. That's not counting what's in the cupboard that we haven't gotten around to putting on ebay.

my favorite apple produce just might be my apple tape dispenser, back from the days when they did office accessories!

snyder66

Post by snyder66 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:38 pm

Do you have to run itunes on macbooks?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:41 pm

snyder66 wrote:Do you have to run itunes on macbooks?
No.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

harland

Post by harland » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:41 pm

PowerBook G4, 5th gen iPod, 2nd gen iPod mini, iPod shuffle, Macbook Pro (late 2008).

I find it rather ironic that all those PC manufacturers are blatantly copying the Macbook Air's 'ugly' form for Intel's Ultrabook push. I doubt many of them will hold up to the build quality of an Air, though.

The Macbook Pro is not just nice to look at, it's extremely well made. Much more solid than any consumer grade laptop then or now. The display is also better than most standard or upgraded panels that the Dell's and HP's of the world use too.
The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above-average drivers.

Bungo

Post by Bungo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:48 pm

I have a MacBook Pro of 2006 vintage. The battery has burst not once but twice, and as far as I know they haven't fixed the underlying problem so I refuse to pay to replace it. It therefore runs only in AC power mode. For this reason alone I doubt I'd ever buy another Apple laptop. It was also rather seriously overpriced in my opinion.

Also have an iPod Nano of the original vintage. No serious complaints with it aside from occasionally having to reboot it when it gets "stuck," but I don't use it anymore as my phone does the same thing and can also stream audio.

The only other Apple product I've ever owned was an Apple ][+ back in the day.

I've toyed with the idea of getting an iPad but I like Google's approach to apps better.

I've also thought about getting an iPod Touch as there doesn't seem to be any equivalent product in Android-land and it would be cool to have a gadget that does most of what my Android phone does (around the house or wherever there's WiFi) but with much longer battery life and without the annoying propensity to switch randomly from WiFi to 3G mode.

sunshinebottom

Post by sunshinebottom » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:57 pm

Dozens over the years. I wouldn't trade my iphone for anything. My present iMac hasn't frozen or had viral problems for years, and iPod has been a real workhorse. I don't spend money on much, but the money I've spent on Apple products has always been money well spent. We're using 11 different apple products in our home now (too many kids).

Groundhog

Post by Groundhog » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:58 pm

Love my iPad2!

Frobie

Post by Frobie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:10 pm

A little over a year ago I got my first smartphone, an iPhone 4. My wife had a 3GS and loved it, and I didn't really feel like doing research into alternatives. I've been quite happy with it.

Then last summer the wife wanted an iPad 2. I'd been looking at tablets, but I figured since I'd already drank the iPhone Kool Aid I'd stay in the Apple family so I got one too. It's quite possibly the coolest piece of technology I've ever owned.

The last Apple computer I owned was an Apple II plus, my first computer. (Well I guess technically my family owned it; I was just a kid.). I've never had much of a desire to have a Mac, but the wife and I have very preliminarily talked about looking into a MacBook. Don't know if anything will come of it.

Jeff
Last edited by Frobie on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has had to overcome while trying to succeed. --Booker T. Washington

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:11 pm

This week, This American Life's podcast is
MR. DAISEY AND THE APPLE FACTORY

Mike Daisey was a self-described "worshipper in the cult of Mac." Then he saw some photos from a new iPhone, taken by workers at the factory where it was made. Mike wondered: Who makes all my crap? He traveled to China to find out.
It's available as a simple .mp3 download from their website for another day or so, and as a no-cost podcast on iTunes and in other ways, I guess indefinitely; see this page.

Daisey travelled to Foxconn in Szenzhen. In the second "act" of the story Ira Glass notes that Daisey is a performer, not a reporter. He describes the results of the fact-checking his staff did, which mostly confirms the basic factual accuracy but not necessarily Daisey's take on them; goes into the auditing corporations do to attempt to verify that their suppliers are complying with labor standards and not employing child labor; and talks to a couple of economists about the balance of good and bad societal effects of sweatshops in developing markets.

Very well done, talk about "driveway moments," my wife refused to get out of the darned car and come in until I promised her I would show her how to download the podcast onto her iPod. Manufactured in China, of course, probably at Foxconn.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

blacktupelo

Post by blacktupelo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:16 pm

Fondly remember programming my Apple II+, first in Basic then in UCSD Pascal, Apple II GS. Later, on to Mac512, Mac IIsi, PowerPC Mac 6600/60, iMac Blue, iMac 24", now: iMac 20", iMac 21.5" i5 (the very best one yet). Plus my Dad's Mac mini and the ones I've influenced other family and friends to buy.

Apple Airport Extreme, Airport ExpressN, Airport Express.

ipod Shuffle gen 1, Shuffle gen 2, iPod nano gen 1, nano gen 3. iPod Touch.

iPad gen1, gen2.

Apple TV gen2

They were all great except the Mac IIsi - always felt sluggish.
Larry

Marquintosh

Post by Marquintosh » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:31 pm

I don't own any apple hardware or software, I still haven't find the need for one, there's plenty of cheaper options out there.
They have good marketing, just like BMW, and not everybody is driving one. Value is relative.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:33 pm

livesoft wrote:
snyder66 wrote:Do you have to run itunes on macbooks?
No.
Technically, iTunes is a system file under Lion. You can't remove it or move it or install an older version over it (you can copy it, but one copy has to stay in Applications). You never have to run it and play music, but you need it on your system in Lion (I don't know about previous versions of OS X). At least that's the message I got when I wanted to downgrade to a previous version using Time machine.

I just looked at the file permissions; iTunes is
drwxr-xr-x+
0: group:everyone deny delete
The “+” symbol
This indicates the file has an ACL, short for Access Control List, which is used to give fine grained control over file permissions, beyond what is available with the regular unix permission tables.
use ls -le to see the ACL. [See, I learned something today.]

SteveB3005

Post by SteveB3005 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:33 pm

An iPod nano, that's it for me.

More Please

Post by More Please » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:23 pm

imac, macbook, iphone, airport express, apple tv. Plan on buying an ipad as soon as the ipad 3 comes out.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:58 pm

This poll is obviously flawed. By lumping 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and over 10 together, you get most of your answers at 5+ and you can't actually see the distribution. The OP clearly didn't understand Apple; in Apple speak, zero means 2 or less, so the choices should have been

2 or less
8 or more

but I am not sure this wouldn't suffer from the same problem, just not as badly.

RF

Post by RF » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:00 pm

mac classic, mac performa. no longer used.
imac G5 X 2, ipod touch, iphone 3gs, 4 and 4, ipad, macbook
airport extreme, airport express, apple TV
future purchase: ipad3 and iphone 5 :sharebeer

PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:35 pm

Bungo wrote:I have a MacBook Pro of 2006 vintage. The battery has burst not once but twice, and as far as I know they haven't fixed the underlying problem so I refuse to pay to replace it. It therefore runs only in AC power mode.
Is the battery bursting because of overheating? We had a similar problem with an older laptop; now it only runs on top of a USB powered cooling pad. It doesn't get overheated now. The new laptop doesn't seem to get so hot.

GregLee

Post by GregLee » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:35 pm

nisiprius wrote:Of course, people who simply hate the idea of industrial design and want pure functionality-- ...
I guess that's me. My computers haven't always even had a brand, and when they have one, I've sometimes had to remind myself what I have, currently, by looking at a logo glued to the case. The CPU brand is important, but I see no reason to be concerned with who connected up CPU, motherboard, plugged in memory, and so on. So long as it all works, it just doesn't matter. The parts are standardized, to a large extent, and they're cheap, because suppliers compete, and I can shop around -- unless I have an Apple. That's Apple's way of making their huge profits -- they keep their customers in a proprietary prison. I don't care to occupy an Apple prison. Personal computing for me is an exercise in freedom.
Greg, retired 8/10.

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:43 pm

If it's un-Boglehead-like to own Apple, that's news to me. We currently own 2 iMacs, a Macbook Air, Time Capsule, 2 iPods and an iPad 2. Sometime this year we plan to buy 2 iPhones.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

Lollytiger

Post by Lollytiger » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:10 am

I used to have an iPod and installed Rockbox over the normal OS. I think I switched back to the normal OS after a while, because I didn't like the look of Rockbox, but on the other hand, the standard file organization on the iPod seems to be intentionally obfuscated (I have no idea what scheme is being used). I stopped using it when the HD failed.

I briefly considered buying an Apple laptop, but they were too expensive and I didn't see exactly what I was getting for the money, plus if I wanted to learn a new OS it would be Ubuntu.

I generally have an aversion to Apple products, partially because I find their fanboys and the deitification of Jobs to be really annoying, but I'm sure their products are perfectly decent. If they are non-Bogleheadish, it'd probably be more that the products themselves (mp3 player, smartphone, tablet etc.) are unnecessary to buy, as opposed to the Apple brand being overpriced or whatever.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:20 am

1 iPod Classic
It has my entire music library on it, and integrates with my custom (installed myself!) car audio system, so I can make playlists in iTunes and/or listen to any artist at any time.

1 iPod Shuffle (an older model)
Flash memory is great for working out, lightweight, clips onto the waistband of my shorts. I will probably never pick up one of the newer models, I think they require a proprietary type of headphone since there isn't any physical buttons.

I had one iPod die after about 3 years. If I had to guess, it would be because the mini hard drive failed due to the constant pounding of taking it running. I also lost one and bought my (current) replacement.

I have no use for an Apple laptop or desktop. I assembled my own desktop and bought an HP laptop, and their combined price was probably about the same as an Apple. I have an Android smartphone, since I'd heard nothing but terrible things about AT&T service and went with Verizon. Now that I've purchased several Android apps and taken advantage of many daily free apps from the Amazon app store, I will probably never "upgrade" to a Verizon iPhone.

In general I try to avoid devices with a "proprietary" interface. One of my only other exceptions to that is my Kindle.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:40 am

I have some cider in the fridge and sauce in the pantry so I voted 2, but I'll drink the cider for breakfast and have the sauce with porkchops for dinner so I'll have to change my vote to 0.

kirent

Post by kirent » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:49 am

Originally I just wanted to prove that a good portion of Bogleheads do use Apple products, I just didn't expect this level of Apple love!

AndrewS

Post by AndrewS » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:20 am

My wife and I have a two Macbooks and I have an original ipod nano.
I really like OS X & prefer doing my work (mostly scientific computing) under it. But the cost premium for macs really annoys me--especially since Apple got rid of the Macbook at the low end of the mac line up and replaced it with the Air. Thinking about getting a tablet computer but might go with an Android based one.