Advice on buying a tablet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
khh

Advice on buying a tablet

Post by khh » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:37 am

I've made the decision to get a tablet and have been researching the various models. I already have wi-fi set up in my house. I've narrowed it down to ipad 2 vs large screen androids like the Samsung Galaxy 10.1. Another option is to wait for the ipad 3. I need a tablet that can do the following:

1. Print to a stand alone printer without the need for a computer. I know that the ipad 2 can do this with an Air Printer. Not sure if Android based tabs can do the same.

2. Read and print pdf files.

3. Play YouTube videos.

4. Crossword puzzles.

Can both platforms do the above? If so, does one do them better than the other?

jeffro

Re: Advice on buying a tablet

Post by jeffro » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:49 am

I tell my family members this. Buy the one with the apple on it.

PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:25 am

I'm waiting on the iPad 3 personally; too late to buy an iPad2 imo.

jane1

Post by jane1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:19 am

We have ipad, touchpad ( webos) and android smartphone.
Waiting for ipad3 .... Apple again without a 2nd thought. They got it right even in the smallest of things.

ilmartello

Post by ilmartello » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:10 am

if you want freedom and you're not stupid, don't buy apple

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:14 am

I agree that it is too late to buy the ipad2, the 3 should be out in about 3 months or so.
Mike

khh

Post by khh » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:29 am

Will both the ipad and android tablets perform the four tasks listed in the original post?

texas_archer

Post by texas_archer » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:10 am

Im sitting around waiting but will probably just pickup the Kindle Fire to get me through the end of the year.

The Ipad 3 should be out in Q2 2012, BUT the Ipad 4 is reportedly coming out in Q4 2012.

Me personally, Im waiting on the Windows 8 tablet in Q4 2012, which is why the $199 Kindle Fire looks pretty good for now.

Igglesman

Post by Igglesman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:14 am

Depending upon your budget, the Samsung Galaxy Tab and the Asus Transformer Prime are two top models. Might wait a week or two...for end of Consumer Electronics Show...prices for tablets are adjusting, trying to find their sweet spot.

Igglesman

Post by Igglesman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:17 am

You also might want to watch the news for the introduction of a Google Tablet, which is said to challenge the Kindle Fire and be under 200 bucks.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:24 am

khh wrote:Will both the ipad and android tablets perform the four tasks listed in the original post?
It should be possible for an Android tablet to print PDF files and whatnot, but I think the answer will vary depending.
At my GF's place, we have her printer hooked up with the wireless router so her Windows laptop can print wirelessly.
My Android phone should be able to do that, but I've not tried yet.
Android's with USB capability should be able to print that way also, assuming a proper driver is available.
Interesting question...
Attempted new signature...

compounder

Post by compounder » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:28 am

Buy the iPad 2. When the iPad 3 comes out, if you must have it, you can sell your iPad 2 on Craigslist or eBay.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:33 am

compounder wrote:Buy the iPad 2. When the iPad 3 comes out, if you must have it, you can sell your iPad 2 on Craigslist or eBay.
Will an iPad2/3 integrate well with non-Apple components?
Will it print nicely on a Samsung printer via a Dlink wireless router?
Apple products used to be rather proprietary and I'm not sure how much that's changed.
For sure, the wide adoption of USB interfaces has made a big diff for directly connected devices...

ejvyas

Post by ejvyas » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:08 am

khh wrote:Will both the ipad and android tablets perform the four tasks listed in the original post?
Yes they will. Search for Cloud Print for Android

I posted a tablet question last month but I was specifically looking for Android tablets. I don't like the other products : http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 11&t=87560

FafnerMorell

Post by FafnerMorell » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:08 am

I bought an iPad 1 (Verizon had a big sale on them right after the iPad 2 came out), and it's great for PDFs. I have a lot of PDF documents, and it does a very nice job on them. Also good for YouTube videos (but not Flash-based video web sites). I haven't tried crossword puzzles with it, but I'm sure there are dozens of apps for that.

That said, I suspect an Android tablet would do 2-4 fine - not sure on the printer.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:21 am

Best Xword puzzle app for Android seems to be Shortyz app, although I wish it were extensible to additional puzzles.
Unclear if there's an iPad version...

pochax

Post by pochax » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:22 am

I have and Asus eee Pad Transformer (1st generation) - it can do all the tasks above.

consider the Asus transformer Prime (2nd generation) - thinner and lighter than an iPad2, plus better connectivity, plus better processor (Tegra 3). just came on sale recently. Runs Android 3.2 (Honeycomb)

awval999

Post by awval999 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:23 am

The real important question is:
Does the ipad2 allow good boglehead forum browsing?

sunspotzsz

Post by sunspotzsz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:26 am

I don't think iPad is very bogleheadish, why pay the premium for iPad if you don't practice applism?

I have Playbook, Lenovo A1 and iPad 2(I didn't pay, wife's company bought it for her) and I like Lenovo A1 the best and it is $199!

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... 0004C18%3A

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:47 am

So man pros and cons to each one.I recently purshcased a Galaxy 10.1 from Walmart(348.00 they had Vizio on sale but substituted the Galaxy due to out of stock ,great deal).
If I were you ,go to Amazon and research different reviews,camera, adobe flash(lack of),Apple proprietary,App Stores,etc,
I have an Apple Itouch also,so I am familiar with Apple software.
The galaxy display is nothing short of spectacular.
Personally if you can "wait" ,I would hold off until Both Samsung and Apple come out with their latest models early next year :D
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

jaxxmjd

Post by jaxxmjd » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:21 am

Cloud Print allows Android to print without the need of an additional computer connected to the printer. People who blindly recommend Apple don't know any better because they've been sucked into the consumer mindset Apple's intentionally creating. If you play with both and you prefer Apple, then by all means, buy the Apple. But please don't buy an Apple just because you're too lazy or weak minded to consider all of your options (like most people).

Personally, I'll never buy Apple again because I detest their competitive tactics and prefer to use the hardware I purchase the way I want, rather than live within their walled garden. Apple's only answer to an integration solution? Buy another Apple product.

Oh, and I highly recommend the Asus Transformer Prime. I own the first generation Transformer and love everything about it. They just announced a $249 version at CES that has pretty awesome specs as well. Tablet price ranges are about to take a significant drop.

topos

Post by topos » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:36 am

I don't think iPad is very bogleheadish, why pay the premium for iPad if you don't practice applism?
I have Playbook, Lenovo A1 and iPad 2(I didn't pay)
Looks a bit like trying to save penny and being pound fool :o
I realize it might not apply exactly to your post but it is fairly typical of: don't want to pay for Apple and ending spending much more trying to find the "ideal" alternative product.
On the tablet market today, the ecosystem is with Apple. There might arguably be better hardware else where but the user experience is with the iPad. Any app, any accessorie, you are very likely to find it.
But unless it is an urgent need, waiting a couple of month for an iPad3 might avoid some buyer remorse.

Igglesman

Post by Igglesman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:41 am

The iPad3 is already here...it is called the Samsung Galaxy Tab or the Asus Transformer Prime.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:53 am

jaxxmjd wrote:Cloud Print allows Android to print without the need of an additional computer connected to the printer. People who blindly recommend Apple don't know any better because they've been sucked into the consumer mindset Apple's intentionally creating...
I was WONDERING if this was true, but wasn't sure.
Thx for confirming...
:)

LynnC

Post by LynnC » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:09 pm

Igglesman wrote:Depending upon your budget, the Samsung Galaxy Tab and the Asus Transformer Prime are two top models. Might wait a week or two...for end of Consumer Electronics Show...prices for tablets are adjusting, trying to find their sweet spot.
Just purchased the Galaxy tab at Costco last week. They had a coupon for $40 off. It was $439 for wifi version and a 10.1 screen. I really love it.

My husband has the Motorola Xoom and likes his tablet with 4g.

To each his/her own. My Galaxy is very light and slips right in my purse.

LynnC

pochax

Post by pochax » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:10 pm

Igglesman wrote:The iPad3 is already here...it is called the Samsung Galaxy Tab or the Asus Transformer Prime.
LOL :lol

FabLab

Post by FabLab » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:14 pm

jaxxmjd wrote: People who blindly recommend Apple don't know any better because they've been sucked into the consumer mindset Apple's intentionally creating. If you play with both and you prefer Apple, then by all means, buy the Apple. But please don't buy an Apple just because you're too lazy or weak minded to consider all of your options (like most people).

Personally, I'll never buy Apple again because I detest their competitive tactics and prefer to use the hardware I purchase the way I want, rather than live within their walled garden. Apple's only answer to an integration solution? Buy another Apple product.
Could we please desist from such Apple-baiting silliness? It's tedious beyond belief.
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:27 pm

I recently purchased an Acer Iconia 500 and love it. Front and rear facing cameras for Skype, full size and micro USB ports, microSD slot for up to 32gb, hdmi port, lots of android apps, prints to my wifi printer, can read pdf files, apps for working with google docs and MS Word, Excel, etc. files.

I downloaded the Kindle app (free). There are lots of free kindle books available in addition to the ones you have to pay for, so there's no need for separate Kindle reader.

All in all, I couldn't be happier.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

sunspotzsz

Post by sunspotzsz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:31 pm

topos wrote:
I have Playbook, Lenovo A1 and iPad 2(I didn't pay)
Looks a bit like trying to save penny and being pound fool :o
I realize it might not apply exactly to your post but it is fairly typical of: don't want to pay for Apple and ending spending much more trying to find the "ideal" alternative product.
On the tablet market today, the ecosystem is with Apple. There might arguably be better hardware else where but the user experience is with the iPad. Any app, any accessorie, you are very likely to find it.
But unless it is an urgent need, waiting a couple of month for an iPad3 might avoid some buyer remorse.

What? My Lenovo tablet can do everything that ipad can and why in the world would I want to pay $300 more to get ipad?
I paid $199 for lenovo A1 and $99 for my playbook, the cheapest ipad 2 costs $499 before tax.

Why apple? why the premium? And I already said that I am not religious!

travellight

Post by travellight » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:33 pm

that Acert sounds great, Mel. I can't see buying a product without the USB ports or camera for Skype or SD card slots. I canceled my plans for the Kindle fire due to these lacks.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:56 pm

I have the 1st generation iPad and am still very happy with it.

Regardless of what you choose, I would HIGHLY recommend getting the 3G version over the WiFi only version. Yes you have WiFi in the house and can find it around if you look. But having 3G makes the iPad an entirely different machine. Being able to pull it out anywhere in the country and have instant internet is definitely worth the extra $100 or so that they charge. And you can turn off the 3G cellular access at any time you aren't using it so it isn't like a cell phone plan.

I don't know if the non-Apple tablets have the same options for getting WiFi only or 3G versions and if their cellular data plans work like they do on the Apple.

pochax

Post by pochax » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:04 pm

texasdiver wrote:I have the 1st generation iPad and am still very happy with it.

Regardless of what you choose, I would HIGHLY recommend getting the 3G version over the WiFi only version. Yes you have WiFi in the house and can find it around if you look. But having 3G makes the iPad an entirely different machine. Being able to pull it out anywhere in the country and have instant internet is definitely worth the extra $100 or so that they charge. And you can turn off the 3G cellular access at any time you aren't using it so it isn't like a cell phone plan.

I don't know if the non-Apple tablets have the same options for getting WiFi only or 3G versions and if their cellular data plans work like they do on the Apple.
So are you saying you only pay for the data downloaded over 3G and there is no monthly cost/contract to maintain to have 3G access? example: if i don't download any 3G content in a given month, my monthly charge is $0 for that month? i have never heard of such a deal.

Tom_T

Post by Tom_T » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:09 pm

Just get the iPad 2. Don't wait. People drive themselves crazy waiting for the next iPad, the next iPhone, and so on. The next iPad isn't going to cook your breakfast for you.

As for 3G vs. WiFi, I think that's just a question of where you plan to use your iPad. Ours rarely leaves the house, so there was no reason to pay for 3G. And if we need to access something on the road, my wife has her iPhone.
Last edited by Tom_T on Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom_T

Post by Tom_T » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:11 pm

RonV wrote: Could we please desist from such Apple-baiting silliness? It's tedious beyond belief.
Thank you.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:21 pm

texasdiver wrote:....And you can turn off the 3G cellular access at any time you aren't using it so it isn't like a cell phone plan.....
OK then, how exactly do you use your 3G capability for data access?
It's completely FREE for you somehow because you have no monthly plan with a cell phone company?

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:34 pm

The Wizard wrote:
texasdiver wrote:....And you can turn off the 3G cellular access at any time you aren't using it so it isn't like a cell phone plan.....
OK then, how exactly do you use your 3G capability for data access?
It's completely FREE for you somehow because you have no monthly plan with a cell phone company?
It is $25 per month for (I think) 2GB of data. But there is no contract so you can stop and start the data access at any point and they will just pro-rate your charge. If you only need data once a year when you travel then you just start the data plan for the trip and then cancel it when you get back. It's not like a cell phone contract. There is no contract. You just buy data month to month whenever you want.

Point is, if you have a WiFi only tablet you can never get internet outside of a wifi point. But if you get the 3G model you can use it as a wifi model and not pay for data but you still have the option of buying 3G data whenever you want.

ejvyas

Post by ejvyas » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:51 pm

jaxxmjd wrote:Cloud Print allows Android to print without the need of an additional computer connected to the printer. People who blindly recommend Apple don't know any better because they've been sucked into the consumer mindset Apple's intentionally creating. If you play with both and you prefer Apple, then by all means, buy the Apple. But please don't buy an Apple just because you're too lazy or weak minded to consider all of your options (like most people).

Oh, and I highly recommend the Asus Transformer Prime. I own the first generation Transformer and love everything about it. They just announced a $249 version at CES that has pretty awesome specs as well. Tablet price ranges are about to take a significant drop.
+1

BogleBrit

Post by BogleBrit » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:57 pm

I've had my eye on a tablet for some time and the lack of good 3G options on the Android offerings is one of the main reasons I haven't jumped in. The other is the lack of ability to rent and download movies and watch them on the go when I am flying. The iPad does both of those things but I'm not willing to pay the premium for the iPad / iTunes so I stick with my laptop and a pay as you go 3G USB dongle and use Amazon VOD to rent the movies.

I believe the month to month 3G option texasdiver is referring to is with AT&T and it really is a great option. I looked into no contract plans for tablets with some other carriers and they have activation fees etc so it makes it expensive to use it for a month and then not the next month and then to re-start etc. The best alternative seemed to be to get a wifi hot spot but that means carrying an extra device and possibly charger. I was surpised Android doesn't work with USB dongles as that would be a workable alternative for me.

sloth

Post by sloth » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:20 pm

BogleBrit wrote:I've had my eye on a tablet for some time and the lack of good 3G options on the Android offerings is one of the main reasons I haven't jumped in. The other is the lack of ability to rent and download movies and watch them on the go when I am flying. The iPad does both of those things but I'm not willing to pay the premium for the iPad / iTunes so I stick with my laptop and a pay as you go 3G USB dongle and use Amazon VOD to rent the movies.
android devices are probably better for on-flight video. most of them except the fire have a microsd card slot that hold up to 32 extra gigs. i prefer tv series over movies on flights.

for documents, browsing, and comics I'd go with the apple due to screen factor. i scoll a lot less on an ipad than android.

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:04 pm

texasdiver wrote:I have the 1st generation iPad and am still very happy with it.

If you have a smartphone that has hotspot capability then the wifi version is just fine. Just have the tablet access the web via the smartphone. The added bonus is faster browsing if your smartphone has 4G service.

natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:24 pm

Regarding 3G vs. WiFi-only, one can always create a WiFi hotspot from the smartphone.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:32 pm

Alexis Madrigal gives a brief rundown on all the tablets introduced at last year's CES.
Let's say you paid close attention last year to the tablets that were hyped at the show. How important have they turned out to be, one year on?

We broke down the trajectories of 17 tablets from CES 2011. In the final tally, I think you could say one is a qualified success (the Asus Eee Pad Transformer), one did OK (the Motorola XOOM), and several flopped (Dell Streak, RIM Playbook) or made no impact (Coby Kyrus, Cydle M7 Multipad, Naxa NID-7001). Nine never were heard from again.
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a ... pe/251195/

Samsung "had" two new tablets last year:
Samsung TX100: Samsung showed off the TX100 at CES and it appeared ready to launch in May. But then it slipped into the deep tablet abyss, ne'er to be seen again.
Samsung Sliding PC 7: This didn't exactly come out, but Samsung did come out with a product called the Samsung Series 7 Slate that could be considered a replacement and that some think is a nice device.
The article is really about how meaningless CES is rather than a review of tablets.

texas_archer

Post by texas_archer » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:35 pm

the ASUS Transformer Prime has a good wait list to purchase right now.

The Samsung Series 7 can be had but is going to cost you about $1000. However, it is a windows PC that will do everything you listed above.

aegisduke

Post by aegisduke » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:24 pm

ilmartello wrote:if you want freedom and you're not stupid, don't buy apple
This is the kind of android fanboyism that doesnt help anyone. And lets not talk about stupid when were using double negatives in a sentence (see what I did there). And when people start quoting vague concepts like "freedom" and "stupidity" on the internet, you know they are espousing a religion rather than giving you useful advice.

My first smartphone was a droid and my in-laws have an android tab, of which they got a great deal but constantly breaks on them (and I have to spend my time updating, repairing) etc. My droid broke and was left behind by all the fragmented updates so I switched to the iphone 4 and ipad 2 and havent looked back.

The apple products work better, its a smoother experience and you are in no way locked down. The android fanboys may make it sound like Adobe Flash is the most important thing in life, but there hasnt been one site I frequent that hasnt worked on my ipad/iphone.

If you can wait, wait for the ipad3 because it is probably going to have a retina-like display, otherwise the ipad2 is just fine.

Google is a great company and I use their products all the time, but they are very successful in marketing as if they have this open universe of hardware/software which is alluring, until you realize that very freedom gives all the power to the cell phone companies and hardware manufacturers to neglect supporting your device with updates as soon as you buy it. I dont even like apple and if their products started being bad I would switch to Microsoft or Google, but its funny how when all these android fanboys start calling people stupid for using a good product that simply works well, I feel the need to chime in

BogleBrit

Post by BogleBrit » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:25 pm

For me, using a computer to copy things onto an SD card so that I can watch it on a plane is not a better or even an equivalent solution to just logging onto iTunes from an iPad and downloading whatever takes my fancy as I sit at the gate waiting to board my delayed flight. If Android and Amazon could come out with an App would allow Amazon VOD to be used on a tablet the same way it can be used on a laptop then that would be awesome.

Also, if you don't have a cell phone that has a data package or allows tethering then the 'use your smartphone' option is not an alternative to the pay as you go 3G AT&T / iPad where you only pay for the months when you use it.

I understand there are work arounds to find solutions to some of these things that are useful and acceptable to many but I also understand why people are buying iPads instead of the Android alternatives.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:40 pm

There are 4 major reasons for buying an android tablet over an ipad imo:
1. Price
2. Availability of SD slots or usb ports.
3. Flash capability
4. Not locked down like Apple products.
There is nothing you can do about 1 and 2.
3: Adobe has stated that they are not going to support mobile flash in the future, so flash will gradually go away.
4. You can always Jaibreak the Ipad.
I own an ipad 1, my wife has a xoom. We both like our tablets just fine.
Mike

ejvyas

Post by ejvyas » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:11 pm

aegisduke wrote:
ilmartello wrote:if you want freedom and you're not stupid, don't buy apple
This is the kind of android fanboyism that doesnt help anyone. And lets not talk about stupid when were using double negatives in a sentence (see what I did there). And when people start quoting vague concepts like "freedom" and "stupidity" on the internet, you know they are espousing a religion rather than giving you useful advice.

My first smartphone was a droid and my in-laws have an android tab, of which they got a great deal but constantly breaks on them (and I have to spend my time updating, repairing) etc. My droid broke and was left behind by all the fragmented updates so I switched to the iphone 4 and ipad 2 and havent looked back.

The apple products work better, its a smoother experience and you are in no way locked down. The android fanboys may make it sound like Adobe Flash is the most important thing in life, but there hasnt been one site I frequent that hasnt worked on my ipad/iphone.

If you can wait, wait for the ipad3 because it is probably going to have a retina-like display, otherwise the ipad2 is just fine.

Google is a great company and I use their products all the time, but they are very successful in marketing as if they have this open universe of hardware/software which is alluring, until you realize that very freedom gives all the power to the cell phone companies and hardware manufacturers to neglect supporting your device with updates as soon as you buy it. I dont even like apple and if their products started being bad I would switch to Microsoft or Google, but its funny how when all these android fanboys start calling people stupid for using a good product that simply works well, I feel the need to chime in

The only thing I like about in iOS is the podcast. All other features (and better) are available in Android tablets. Podcast is one thing that is not replicated by any good free app.

Locked down = you have to wait for apple to fix problems, approve applications, buy from apple appstore, buy apple adapters, what happened to SD cards and HDMI? There are many more technical reasons but I would stick to those easily understood.

The final reminder is Android is NOT only about Google you have choices! iOS and Apple devices is only about Apple.

And yeah it works well because it is a locked down device :-)

Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:27 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:I recently purchased an Acer Iconia 500 and love it. Front and rear facing cameras for Skype, full size and micro USB ports, microSD slot for up to 32gb, hdmi port, lots of android apps, prints to my wifi printer, can read pdf files, apps for working with google docs and MS Word, Excel, etc. files.

I downloaded the Kindle app (free). There are lots of free kindle books available in addition to the ones you have to pay for, so there's no need for separate Kindle reader.

All in all, I couldn't be happier.
I agree niece had ipad stolen,now has Acer 500,both agree Acer 500 way better

nonnie

Post by nonnie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:29 pm

How about the newly announced Lenovo IdeaTab S2?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/8/269246 ... 4-0-tablet

No release date or price yet, though, but it's certainly a different idea--a 10.1-inch, dual-core Android 4.0 tablet with keyboard dock attachment

Nonnie--still waiting for the *perfect* tablet
This post may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

MossySF

Post by MossySF » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:27 pm

Apple devices are easier to use but the apps cost more and are more restrictive. Let me give you a quick example -- there's about 15 different free eBook readers for Android versus 2 for iOS. Not only that, many of the free Android eBook readers have very easy ways to copy the ebooks to the device. For example, I can do the following to get books into Aldiko:

1) Copy to SD card, import
2) Plug in USB port, copy, import
3) Run a FTP server on Android (runs on unpriviledged port, no root needed), ftp to, import
4) Run a SSH server on Android (runs on unpriviledged port, no root needed), scp to, import
5) Run a FTP client on Android, ftp from, import
6) Run a SSH client on Android, ssh from, import
7) Run a Calibre server on computer, add computer as a library source, click on book to add

I use #7 now because I can organize and categorize my eBooks on my computer and have Aldiko import it with all descriptions & tags. Novels that are in series (example LOTR) not only are grouped together but display in the correct order (LOTR1: Fellowship, LOTR2: Two Towers, LOTR3: Return).

I've look at the iOS options for my 3GS -- not only are they fewer but the apps are more limiting. If you solely use Kindle or Nook reader apps, then of course it doesn't matter whether you use Android or iOS -- both platforms are equally limiting.

Personally, if you do decide on an Android tablet, I would not pay more than $250 for one. New ones come out so fast and furious -- paying $800 for one today still means you will have old technology next year. My tablet from 1+ year ago is single-core 1ghz + 256MB RAM -- the ones coming out now are quad-core + 1GB RAM.