Can Adele Sing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hlfo718
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:17 am
Location: NYC

Can Adele Sing?

Post by hlfo718 »

Is it me or her voice horrible? I have been told she sold 13 million records but so what? I think her voice sounds like she has a sore throat and she ran out of NyQuil.
User avatar
tyrion
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:33 pm

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by tyrion »

hlfo718 wrote:Is it me or her voice horrible? I have been told she sold 13 million records but so what? I think her voice sounds like she has a sore throat and she ran out of NyQuil.

My wife can't stand country music, Garth Brooks in particular.... what's your point? Obviously Adele is appealing to the large number of people who have purchased her music.
User avatar
leonidas
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:58 am
Location: Mansfield Township, NJ

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by leonidas »

I can take the voice but the actual songs are just painful to listen to.
User avatar
FabLab
Posts: 1127
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:15 pm

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by FabLab »

Not heard of this singer before.
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld
User avatar
Tim_in_GA
Posts: 444
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:42 am
Location: O-HI-O

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by Tim_in_GA »

tyrion wrote:My wife can't stand country music
Adele is not a country singer! Give her a break - she's had issues with her vocal cords and had surgery. Her voice was incredible before and I'm sure after a good recovery it will be incredible again.
Helloeeze
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:47 am

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by Helloeeze »

She is not country western. She's more bluesy. I think she damaged her vocal cords and has now had surgery. I don't know if it was affecting her sound. Well, somebody likes her. She won a few Grammy's. I think she is very good, but I also think she sings "improperly." Her voice may not last a full career. You know the song "Rolling in the Deep"? That's her.
HongKonger
Posts: 1079
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:35 am
Location: Deep in the Balkans

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by HongKonger »

Yes she can. Is she really considered 'Country' in the US? She is from the UK - there is no 'country' music in the UK :lol: Or is that a generic term for a female solo that isn't either Lady Gaga or Rihanna? ...and she hasn't sung whilst her voice is healing - she even talks through an artificial device like Stephen Hawking.
User avatar
tyrion
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:33 pm

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by tyrion »

Tim_in_GA wrote:
tyrion wrote:My wife can't stand country music
Adele is not a country singer! Give her a break - she's had issues with her vocal cords and had surgery. Her voice was incredible before and I'm sure after a good recovery it will be incredible again.
Helloeeze wrote:She is not country western. She's more bluesy. I think she damaged her vocal cords and has now had surgery. I don't know if it was affecting her sound. Well, somebody likes her. She won a few Grammy's. I think she is very good, but I also think she sings "improperly." Her voice may not last a full career. You know the song "Rolling in the Deep"? That's her.
Oops, didn't mean to imply she was a country singer. Just pointing out that different people have different tastes.

My wife hates country
I can't stand Boys 2 Men
My neighbor doesn't like XYZ

It's subjective....

For the record, I like Adele but am not one of the 13 million who has purchased her music.
User avatar
ebeard
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 5:51 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by ebeard »

Adele sings about love lost. I think her last album is one of the best of the last year. Apparently I'm not alone. :peace
3 core funds. Don't just do something, stand there.
Topic Author
hlfo718
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:17 am
Location: NYC

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by hlfo718 »

Then maybe is my speakers because her songs sound like she has a scratchy voice, the one's you hear from some contestants in America Idol. I don't really know her story but every time her songs come on I need to shut down the volume to zero.
User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 11646
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I have not purchased her music, but she is one of the few of my daughter's favorite performers that I can stand to listen to. She actually is musical, and her voice seems good (not great, IMHO, but at least good). On a scale of 1-10, to me she's a solid 7.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 23236
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

hlfo718 wrote:Is it me or her voice horrible? I have been told she sold 13 million records but so what? I think her voice sounds like she has a sore throat and she ran out of NyQuil.
You have a choice, you don't have to purchase or listen to her songs. Selling that many records or copies of her songs means she has (pardon the pun) struck a chord with her audience. Ever listen to the words? She sings of heartache - there is plenty of it for those who've ever been in a dating relationship.

There are many artists whom I find distasteful, simple solution - I switch the station when they come on.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
User avatar
mmmodem
Posts: 2333
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by mmmodem »

I would say the vast majority love her voice. I've heard amazing quite often used to describe her voice. I for one disdain her voice. It is scratchy and she seems to reach for a high note she isn't capable of. Like how most people sound when they sing "Loving You". As she got more and more famous her song is played more and often. At least twice every hour on my favorite modern soft rock stations. I used to just change the station when I hear her voice but she's gotten so popular that inevitably she'll be played on the next station soon after or worse at the same time I switch. I really hope she is a 3 hit wonder and then go away. I heard a contestant sing her song on American Idol last year. Wow, incredible. Her songs and the lyics are simply beautiful. Now if only someone else sang it besides her.
User avatar
Swamproot
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:10 pm

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by Swamproot »

hlfo718 wrote:Then maybe is my speakers because her songs sound like she has a scratchy voice...
Not a Tom Waits fan I presume. :-)
downshiftme
Posts: 1136
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:11 pm

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by downshiftme »

Love the scratchy voice. I'm not a big fan of the actual songs she sings, but her voice really fills the space and I enjoy listening to it.
Sulvar
Posts: 293
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by Sulvar »

I'm a fan as are lots of people judging from her record sales numbers.
chaz
Posts: 13604
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by chaz »

RonV wrote:Not heard of this singer before.
Me either.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
compounder
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:06 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by compounder »

I've heard one song of hers on the radio. "Uma has it!". I thought, how interesting, yes, I suppose Uma Thurman does have it. You go girl! Turns out the song is "Rumor has it". Crazy British accent. heh.
MidnightX
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: So. Cal.

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by MidnightX »

Okay, I had to look her up. Nice melody and I like the piano in this song. But I can see how the opinions of her voice can go either way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLQl3WQQoQ0
User avatar
bish0p
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by bish0p »

I think she sounds a lot better than most "pop singers". You can hear she was influenced by blues, gospel, and country.

A lot of great blues singers have scratchy voices. Listen to John Lee Hooker's "Boom Boom" for an example. I think he also growls in this one.
Last edited by bish0p on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
investnoob
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:57 am
Location: Ottawa
Contact:

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by investnoob »

hlfo718 wrote:Then maybe is my speakers because her songs sound like she has a scratchy voice, the one's you hear from some contestants in America Idol. I don't really know her story but every time her songs come on I need to shut down the volume to zero.
I take it you don't like Janice Joplin either? :P


edit: did not see Swamproots reply, above. Yeah, he's probably not a fan of Tom Waits!
Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
TRC
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:38 pm

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by TRC »

I hate the color green! Who's with me?
User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Posts: 42594
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by nisiprius »

Not as well as Fred. And he can't sing as well as he dances.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY2RkGT5-qo)
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
User avatar
Midpack
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:34 am
Location: Chicagoland

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by Midpack »

Great voice, I just don't care for her music. That's why we all have our own tastes and so many artists to choose from. Obviously Adele has many, many fans...nothing wrong with that.
You only live once...
User avatar
CaliJim
Posts: 3050
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:47 pm
Location: California, near the beach

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by CaliJim »

.Yes.
User avatar
yukonjack
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:36 pm
Location: Rocky Mountain West

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by yukonjack »

I think she owes a lot to the sound Amy Winehouse created and the fact that it is now gone. I am personally not a big fan but it is nice to hear distinctive voices in music. And she is without out a doubt very popular.
snyder66
Posts: 1055
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:46 pm

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by snyder66 »

Amy Winehouse? Country? Have you actually listened to her music? I think she is great. She appeals to many different styles and people.
User avatar
bru
Posts: 1007
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by bru »

Really funny SNL skit last month using "Someone Like You". I'm sure it's on Hulu.

Her concert in Chicago (before she blew out her voice) was picked as one of the top concerts of last year by the critics.

We like her well enough. But she is overplayed on the radio here.
DouglasDoug
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:38 pm

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by DouglasDoug »

Does it matter? There's room for everyone. As Tennesee Williams wrote in The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone, its not talent but what you can convince others you possess, or words to that effect. A better question is does anyone know what "Rolling in the Deep" means?
MP173
Posts: 2175
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:03 pm

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by MP173 »

True story.

I was riding with my 16 year old and Rolling in the Deep came on. I was instantly moved by it, went home, and found it on Utube and was blown away. This is from a 56 year old. It has an R&B feel with outstanding vocals. Read about how she wrote it...the story is on Wikipedia. Her boyfriend broke up with her and she was so livid she wrote it with the producer the next morning. The story is that the beat (107 bpm) was set to her heartrate at the time she was relating the story of the breakup.

Now to be honest, I havent heard another song by her, or at least knew it was her.
ed
User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 6892
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by Kenkat »

I like her songs. She is not a technical virtuoso, but her songs have emotion and a sound that I think just clicks.
anonenigma
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:58 pm

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by anonenigma »

SteveB3005
Posts: 1425
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:29 pm

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by SteveB3005 »

Yes, Adele can sing. I enjoy that little grit to her vocals, in the same bluesy way as Bonnie Raitt, one of my all-time favorites.
User avatar
TxAg
Posts: 1725
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:09 am

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by TxAg »

I love her raspy voice
User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Posts: 42594
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by nisiprius »

Just listened to "Set Fire to the Rain." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlsBObg-1BQ

I think she's got a good voice, maybe a well-trained one. Always hard to tell because I don't know what kind of electronic processing they do. The quality that hifo718 calls "sore throat" to me sounds like the sweet violin-like resonances a good singer gets. Unless hifo718 is talking about those low raspy notes she throws in, which I think she's doing intentionally, for effect.

However, to me, she falls in the category of "singers who don't sound as if they understand the words." All music, no poetry.

P.S. Just read more of the thread. If she's damaged her vocal cords and needed surgery, that's a darned shame, and it suggests that she has not had voice training.
Last edited by nisiprius on Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
User avatar
verbose
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:05 am

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by verbose »

I hate her voice. It's made worse by DJ's raving about it.

I sing in a chorus. That kind of singing has no place in choral music. I'm sure that's part of my issue.
User avatar
Imperabo
Posts: 1109
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by Imperabo »

A voice with some scratch and rasp in it is distinctive and emotionally evocative. A pure clean voice like Whitney Houston (pre-crack) is bland to me.
User avatar
Imperabo
Posts: 1109
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by Imperabo »

nisiprius wrote: I think she's got a good voice, maybe a well-trained one. Always hard to tell because I don't know what kind of electronic processing they do.
Listen to a live song then. Probably still processed, but perhaps not so much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qemWRToNYJY
User avatar
wbond
Posts: 1076
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:55 pm

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by wbond »

mmmodem wrote:At least twice every hour on my favorite modern soft rock stations.
I don't have a dog in this "young Brit sings a pop version of the blues with an American accent" fight (nothing new here in fifty years, by the way). However, have you considered the problem may be the phrase "favorite modern soft rock stations?"

Cheers, wbond
HongKonger
Posts: 1079
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:35 am
Location: Deep in the Balkans

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by HongKonger »

yukonjack wrote:I think she owes a lot to the sound Amy Winehouse created and the fact that it is now gone. I am personally not a big fan but it is nice to hear distinctive voices in music. And she is without out a doubt very popular.
I always thought Adele was more akin to Duffy personally.
User avatar
Polar_Ice
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:40 am

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by Polar_Ice »

She has a lot of emotion in her songs and I like her style. :D

This is my favorite song of hers on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri7-vnrJD3k
chaz
Posts: 13604
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by chaz »

Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
User avatar
FabLab
Posts: 1127
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:15 pm

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by FabLab »

Now, I know absolutely nothing about this singer, but that skit was choice. Nice find, Chaz. :D
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld
User avatar
HardKnocker
Posts: 2063
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:55 am
Location: New Jersey USA

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by HardKnocker »

Adele must be able to sing because she cannot get by with her looks. She is just average looking.

Therefore she must be a really good singer.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
User avatar
Cb
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:39 am

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by Cb »

I'd give up my Boglehead's book and maybe two Rick Ferri's to play in a band with a woman who could sing like Adele. She's a one in a million performer, IMO.

Some of y'all are kRaZIe.

Cb :annoyed
chaz
Posts: 13604
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by chaz »

HardKnocker wrote:Adele must be able to sing because she cannot get by with her looks. She is just average looking.

Therefore she must be a really good singer.
I like her looks & her voice.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz
Posts: 13604
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by chaz »

HardKnocker wrote:Adele must be able to sing because she cannot get by with her looks. She is just average looking.

Therefore she must be a really good singer.
I like her looks & her voice.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
User avatar
HardKnocker
Posts: 2063
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:55 am
Location: New Jersey USA

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by HardKnocker »

Adele

Image

Rihanna

Image
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
joelly
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:22 am

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by joelly »

Yes, I think she can do more than just singing, she writes her songs too, I believe. However, I can't stand her song anymore because the radio play it too often. They forget Adele is not the only singer.
User avatar
ryuns
Posts: 3493
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:07 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Can Adele Sing?

Post by ryuns »

Taste is subjective, but it's hard to make a case she's not talented or doesn't have a "good" voice. http://www.npr.org/event/music/13368790 ... sk-concert I'm not a huge fan, but this Tiny Desk concert is AMAZING.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
Post Reply