Where to buy decent dress shoes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
guitarguy

Where to buy decent dress shoes

Post by guitarguy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:11 am

Another shoe thread...

I need a new pair of black leather dress shoes to wear with suits and dress pants. I don't wear these type of shoes for work so they'd be used sparingly when needed.

I'm not really concerned with name brand but I want something that looks good and will be pretty comfortable and durable. If that means paying a little more than Payless...so be it. Any suggestions for a good place to shop and/or brands and such that are a good buy?

Style tips would also be appreciated! :lol:

dailybagel

Re: Where to buy decent dress shoes

Post by dailybagel » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:15 am

I recently bought a pair at Aldo, a store in my local mall. My style preference was very simple-looking black dress shoes, without much added "flair."

After purchasing a pair and wearing them much more, I've found them a touch too narrow. Perhaps european sizing at work?

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:34 am

I've had decent luck at DSW Shoe Warehouse.

The Ecco brand I'm currently wearing are SO FREAKIN' COMFORTABLE, especially on the heel. I have a problem with blisters on my heels from dress shoes and these ones are padded back there so it was a non-issue.

dailybagel

Post by dailybagel » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:35 am

I will also add that I bought loafers, or more precisely, "driving mocs" from Banana Republic in the past. I was not satisfied with their quality; they seemed to come apart much more quickly than I expected.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:38 am

I have a difficult to fit (narrow) foot and a bit of plantar fasciitis. I learned that I could sign up for Zappos VIP program and get free shipping both ways. The shipping to me is always overnight - their distribution facility must be right next door to a major UPS hub. That coupled with a their one-year satisfaction guarantee makes it a nearly ideal place to shop for shoes. Their selection is huge and the return policy removes most of the downside of ordering online. They are not the least expensive place to buy shoes but for me fit and comfort are the highest priority so I'll trade a bit of savings for all the other advantages.

I go to vip.zappos.com to order through the vip program. I assume you can sign up there as well if you're interested.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau