Laptop Advice Needed

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kikie

Re: Thinkpad XP 40

Post by kikie »

........all seems like more hassle than it is worth, to buy obsolete hardware/software.

........i just wish that i didn't have to go to widescreen format, on desktop i use to vertical 19" monitors, even a 17" widescreen laptop to me is hard to get used to

linuxuser wrote:
paix wrote:what disk would be cloned ? you mean clone a HD , as there is no optical drive, clone a HD with XP OS on it ? ; is XP even secure anymore, or your thinking for offline use only ?

a system disk or XP ; how to install it with no optical drive? via usb ?

would something later than XP work, or mis-match the cpu/memory specs and so run slow on a thinkpad ?

M
wbern wrote:A good BH Laptop choice, for do-it-yourselfers who can reimage/clone disks is a used Thinkpad; I'm particularly fond of the X40, a lightweight (just over 3 pounds, no optical drive) machine that is particularly rugged and dependable. You can pick a working one with XP Pro on eBay for $80-150, depending on how much memory/how cherry it is. Or you can pick up one without a HDD for less than half that and toss in a Kingspec 32-64G SSD for $80-130. You can buy a system disk for ~$30. (You have to download the drivers separately from Lenovo.)

The screen is perfectly shaped (3 by 4 aspect--you can't find those any more) for work, as opposed to gaming/video watching.

Bill
1.) XP is supported until 2014

2.) With newer PCs, it is possible to install XP using a USB. There are how-to on the internet.

3.) I am not sure where Bill is buying his system disc. On eBay, buying one often hit or miss, since OEM Windows Restore discs are often removed due to DMCA.

4.) Be sure that whichever model of used laptop you buy, that there are drivers for XP if you intend to install XP. Some of the newer laptops do not have XP drivers.
Those who know do not speak; those who speak do not know.
mike143

Re: Laptop Advice Needed

Post by mike143 »

Some deals on 17" Dell's: http://slickdeals.net/f/4296822-Dell-In ... ll-Outlet?

A website that aggregates computer deals: http://gotapex.com
paix wrote:internal battery ? meaning ? vs. ? sorry for my ignorance ..
Most laptops have a battery that is easily removed. On this specific TimelineX the battery is internal, you would have to disassemble the laptop to change it. Not a problem for me but would be deal breaker for most.
Last edited by mike143 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
Glasgow

Post by Glasgow »

I found this $279 deal at microcenter:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0386509
mike143

Post by mike143 »

My wonderful TimelineX met it end Monday when I found it submerged completely in water in my trunk. I will be waiting for Win 8 and Ivy Bridge to replace it. Now its back to my old Compaq: http://archive.slickdeals.net/f/1446999 ... at-Staples
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

Wow! Is the OP still looking!!
kikie

Post by kikie »

i'm looking at this one, not sure even with 17" i'll ever get used to widescreen, maybe i can connect it to an old computer monitor?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP---17.3%2 ... 294&loc=01
Those who know do not speak; those who speak do not know.
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

kikie wrote:i'm looking at this one, not sure even with 17" i'll ever get used to widescreen, maybe i can connect it to an old computer monitor?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP---17.3%2 ... 294&loc=01
I consider anything above 15" a desktop. Not portable
kwan2

Post by kwan2 »

the entry price for the 1600x 900 resolution is double the 1366; $800 vs. $350, not sure that resolution is worth double.........

bloody hard to choose on specs these days, as processors by core , benchmark, and speed are about un-decypherable, only think i can think to do is buy the least expense quad core , and assume it beats all the dual cores,

or maybe but an Asus assuming they use, what ? what actual Asus hardware is inside ? the motherboard and ??

investomajic wrote:
JV wrote:I am in the market for a laptop and would love a recommendation. I am eyeing the Toshiba Portege R835 series for about $750, but the HP Pavilion G6X caught my eye below for that same price with incredible specs (found it on CNET with a coupon). I need it for the web/documents/e-mail, no gaming, and need it to be decently portable and not a monster. Anyone have good experiences with a Toshiba or HP or see anything that sticks out below as being a concern? Thanks!

HP Pavilion G6x Specs
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2640M Processor (2.8 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.5 GHz
1GB Discrete Graphics AMD Radeon(TM) [HDMI, VGA]
6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
500GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
No Additional Office Software
No additional security software
6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery (standard) - Up to 4.25 hours of battery life +++
15.6" diagonal High Definition HP BrightView LED Display (1366x768)
SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
HP Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone
802.11b/g/n WLAN
That is a decent price for the specs. I, personally, wouldn't purchase this laptop because of the screen resolution. Have you used a 15.6" with 1366x768? If not, I highly recommend you visit a local store and check out this screen for yourself (on any laptop model, really). Just make sure you won't mind the screen. I like my screen real-estate and this would drive me nuts. Personally, on a 15.6", I wouldn't go lower than 1600x900 (I prefer 1920x1080 personally).

If you are fine with that screen resolution, it is a good buy.
“The history of Paris teaches us that beauty is a by-product of danger, that liberty is at best a consequence of neglect, that wisdom is entwined with decay."