Would you trade all of your wealth to be 20 again?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Would you?

ja, yes.
51%
nein, no
49%

Total votes: 220

Topic Author
no_name

Would you trade all of your wealth to be 20 again?

Post by no_name »

why or why not?
HuggieBear

Re: Would you trade all of your wealth to be 20 again?

Post by HuggieBear »

not only that, but i would accept starting out 500k in debt...
BogleBrit

Post by BogleBrit »

Would I be 20 years old but knowing what I know now or would the clock be turned straight back to my 20th birthday ?
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

not yet, but ask me again when I'm 80.
xerty24

Post by xerty24 »

Of course. I made my money once, surely I can make it again. I think the right question is when you hit the "reset" button - 40, 50, 60, etc. I don't think I'd mind living forever from 20-35 in relative poverty.
No excuses, no regrets.
neverknow

Post by neverknow »

In a heart beat. I can't quite remember 20, but I remember 21. I had strep throat. No access to a health care system (obviously had to find anti biotics somewhere, eventually - but no bar bash for me). Lived in a old house sectioned off - our apartment had a maximum of 7 steps you could take furthest (yes our, implies and was true - there was 2 of us living there). Saturday night fun was spray killing roaches with a spray can of Raid (why in the world do people today want to rent? - I didn't think landlords were all that nice). Each of us had only one set of clothes that didn't have holes in it. Not church clothes. Party clothes. --- Easy decision. I was finishing college. And I did.

Why in a heart beat? My bones didn't ache back then, and the whole world was a grand adventure.
neverknow
centrifuge41

Post by centrifuge41 »

No, because I'm 25, and I've managed to squirrel away a tidy sum during these 5 years :) I have no major regrets on how the last few years of my life have progressed!
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

No, even tho I'm "old". I was pretty lucky the first time around, and it might not turn out so well if I had to do it all again. Call me content.
18% cash 44% stock 38% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
wingnutty

Post by wingnutty »

I'm only 31 and don't have considerable 'wealth', but yes, I would trade my money to turn back the clock 11 years.
celia

Post by celia »

No--I have experienced all kinds of things in life and want credit for every year I've lived, no matter how old I am. Why would I want to start over? I think the young have a harder time "getting started on their own" than the Baby Boomers did.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I would for two reasons.

1. I would be able to keep my education and knowledge, which would give me a head start. The second time around, I would pursue an academic career.

2. New medical breakthroughs are coming up that will extend a healthy lifespan for dozens of years. As I would be using the newly acquired years, still newer discoveries would provide even further life extension. And so it will go. I want to ride the wave of these medical innovations.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

I don't have enough wealth to make this an issue. Do I get to keep my current investment knowledge and have the same wife and kids?
AgnosticInvestor

Post by AgnosticInvestor »

Yes, without hesitation.
rob

Post by rob »

Where do I sign up?
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
magician

Post by magician »

No.

I'm well enough blessed as it is.
Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

This is one of those, "If you could be an animal, what animal would you be?" type of questions. The plain fact is there's no going back to 20 if you are over 20. Time is better spent focusing on things we can control IMO.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
LH

Post by LH »

mlebuf wrote:This is one of those, "If you could be an animal, what animal would you be?" type of questions. The plain fact is there's no going back to 20 if you are over 20. Time is better spent focusing on things we can control IMO.
Ah, boo, hiss

:p

That's like saying we should not watch sci fi movies or read fiction books. There is no chance I am gonna be a space marine, go kick butt in a pc Eco antimilitary sort of way, and have not only multicultural, but inter species, interplanetary, relations of the highest order!

Seriously though the question does has some benefit, if one is 42 now, it makes one think what is important going forward.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

CAREFUL!

It's a trick. When they get you back to 20, EVERYTHING is back to 20. You are just as smart (i.e. dumb) as you were the first time so will muddle through life just as well (poorly) as you did the first time. You won't even know it happened. Hmmm. Maybe it already HAS happened!

Then again, maybe one spark of insight will go back with you and you will make one small improvement. Go through this enough times and eventually you will get everything right! If this is what is happening, I can't be very far along in the process.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Qtman

Post by Qtman »

I'm a dreamer, but this one is absolutely impossible. No. Move forward, not back.
Don’t wear yourself out trying to get rich; be wise enough to control yourself. | Wealth can vanish in the wink of an eye. It can seem to grow wings and fly away | like an eagle. - King Solomon
beareconomy

Post by beareconomy »

Probably not, being in the 30s now. I would have to go through college, medical school, and residency again. Not really all its cracked up to be.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

bertilak wrote:CAREFUL!

It's a trick. When they get you back to 20, EVERYTHING is back to 20. You are just as smart (i.e. dumb) as you were the first time so will muddle through life just as well (poorly) as you did the first time. You won't even know it happened. Hmmm. Maybe it already HAS happened!

Then again, maybe one spark of insight will go back with you and you will make one small improvement. Go through this enough times and eventually you will get everything right! If this is what is happening, I can't be very far along in the process.
The question is answered based on how it is formulated in the OP, with the arguments supporting one's choice.

A question "Would you like to have your mind and history erased and reset to your 20th birthday?" would be answered differently.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

VictoriaF wrote:

The question is answered based on how it is formulated in the OP...
The question is thought provoking, and not something with a clear-cut best answer depending on a precise understanding of how it's formulated.

The question is not rigidly formulated. In addition to the open-ended wording of this thread's title, the OP simply says "why or why not?" leaving quite a bit to the imagination.

And no, Regis, that's not my final answer. I think I need to use one of my lifelines for this one.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

No. I had a rough time emotionally in college, and I'm much happer now in my 30s. I don't wish to return to that time, even if it didn't cost me anything.
rec7

Post by rec7 »

Yes if I can keep my current knowledge.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack
TRC

Post by TRC »

rec7 wrote:Yes if I can keep my current knowledge.
Me too.

Though I'm trying to help my kids avoid the mistakes I made....especially with regards to saving and investin at a MUCH younger age.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Yep, me too... If I could keep all my memories...

Because, of course, it would be pretty easy to get rich again already knowing about Microsoft and Apple stock... :)
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

TRC wrote:
Me too.

Though I'm trying to help my kids avoid the mistakes I made....especially with regards to saving and investin at a MUCH younger age.
Oooh, that brings up an interesting wrinkle...

Going back with all your memories, how would you remeet your wife?

(1) Would you look for her earlier?
(2) Even if you met her at the exact same time as you did the first time around, would you even be able to recreate that magical meeting? Or would she be creeped out by how much you seem to know about her?

If going back to 20 means there's a chance I don't marry my wife and my kids never even get born, I guess I'd have to say "No way"
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

too many demons at 20 - took me until mid-twenties to get them relatively under control.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

No, but I may consider giving up 1/2 of my stash (and retain my knowledge/experience) to be age 40 again.*

*Would have to get DW's approval in advance.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
Quasimodo

Post by Quasimodo »

From a philosophical standpoint, I was incredibly lucky to survive my youth and I might not be that lucky again.

From a practical standpoint, I don't envy anyone starting out in this political/economic environment.

From a spiritual standpoint, possibly some higher power will give me another chance anyway through reincarnation.

So no.

John
Many wealthy people are little more than janitors of their possessions. | | Frank Lloyd Wright, architect (1867-1959)
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

No. I'm much closer to the really good eternal life now. Why would I want to get further away and perhaps blow what I am now blessed with knowing? I am content with my situation, achy bones and all :D As Mr. Bogle would say, "I have enough".

... Fletch
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Sure, if I could buy Microsoft stock at $4/share and sell my CA real estate in 2005.
rob

Post by rob »

Cannot speak to the maybe it's already happened thing as too metaphysical :-) but I would still do it...... The world has moved on and I would prefer to move forward thru this one then the past one..... Not 100% for sure but enough that I don't have to think about the question.

P.S. - For the animal thing... and Eagle, but not sure what that means and I know both are a waste of time cause you cannot change the past... or maybe you can :-)
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I would, but only if I could know at 20 what I know at 78.
But, then again, thinking about it, I may not make the same mistakes again in that case, but I am sure I would make new ones, which may be worse.
Heck with it, I'll stay where I am. It has been a good life. :D
All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Qtman wrote:I'm a dreamer, but this one is absolutely impossible. No. Move forward, not back.
I agree.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Absolutely not.
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

If I had my 20 year old body, but my current mid 50s brain, knowledge, and memories, then yes, absolutely. If 20 year old brain, maybe.
rec7

Post by rec7 »

If a person was 20 years old again without your current knowledge you would go ahead and make the same mistakes again. Remember what were mistakes looked good at one point.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack
epilnk

Post by epilnk »

VictoriaF wrote: A question "Would you like to have your mind and history erased and reset to your 20th birthday?" would be answered differently.
Oh, heck no! There's nothing particularly appealing to returning to the approaching cusp of adulthood; youth is to me overrated. I'm not pleased about my oncoming physical decline, but aside from that I far prefer 50 to 20. I wouldn't mind seeing 35 again, though.
frose2

Post by frose2 »

Surely in an investment board all of us realize that going back in time x years while retaining our knowledge of how different investments have done in the past x years would be killer.

Umm, on the other hand maybe some of us are such fanatical buy-and-holders that if we went back in time ten years, we would still invest the same way, rather than investing in the stocks that we know did very well in the intervening ten years (e.g., Apple).
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

frose2 wrote:Umm, on the other hand maybe some of us are such fanatical buy-and-holders that if we went back in time ten years, we would still invest the same way, rather than investing in the stocks that we know did very well in the intervening ten years (e.g., Apple).
If I went back 10 years, I would load up on Mel's beloved 3.6% I-Bonds at the rate of $30k/year.

Victoria
frose2

Post by frose2 »

There's also this (knowledge of Spanish required):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdLlkZW58SI
norookie

Post by norookie »

:D Only if my knowledge can be retained, otherwise yes anyway. :wink: On a re-read what Quasi said also > From a practical standpoint, I don't envy anyone starting out in this political/economic environment.
Last edited by norookie on Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

I think the only reasons I would want to be 20 again are to enjoy youth again and to have all those years ahead of me again. But I'm not sure what I'd do differently with those years because, when I look back from my 60s, I think much of what I did was meant to be, and overall I'm very grateful for the opportunities I had.
Last edited by Fallible on Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

In a heart beat. At 20, I was knee deep in lady action being a proud member of Sigma Chi Fraternity. Literally fought them off with a stick (or at least that's how I remember it :) ). Now, I'm married with 2 small kids with only memories.....but man those are some good memories.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Fallible wrote:I think the only reason I would want to be 20 again is to enjoy youth again and to have all those years ahead of me again. But I'm not sure what I'd do differently with those years because, when I look back from my 60s, I think much of what I did was meant to be, and overall I'm very grateful for the opportunities I had.
Well said.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Cyclone

Post by Cyclone »

I would never do it. If I did, I might never meet my wife and I wouldn't want to take that chance.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I would. Life is interesting. I am 72 now, nowadays there are a lot more people with college education and to find a job after college would be more difficult. But that is life and a new life would be interesting again. Perhaps then I would stay in Europe and live to become 72 again all in Europe....
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Quasimodo wrote:From a philosophical standpoint, I was incredibly lucky to survive my youth and I might not be that lucky again.

From a practical standpoint, I don't envy anyone starting out in this political/economic environment.

From a spiritual standpoint, possibly some higher power will give me another chance anyway through reincarnation.

So no.

John
:thumbsup
All the Best, | Joe
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Yes, but only if my wife could go back with me and also get younger. We'd make up the wealth together.

EDITED TO ADD: One of my few regrets is that my wife and I didn't "get together" until I was 40+. It would have been a kick to be 20 together.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.