Movie night in recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Petrocelli

Re: What is your favorite movie?

Post by Petrocelli » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:22 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
A copy room frequently also serves as a printer and fax room, and it can be one of the most haunted places in the office. The copiers jam especially when you try to make double-sided copies, color-rich PowerPoint slides quickly drain printers of ink, fax machines bunch several pages creating a discontinuity on the receiving end.

The knowledge of how to fix a copier jam or replace an ink cartridge in a printer is rare, but it is not appreciated in a modern office -- a poorly understood economic inefficiency. ;-)
Nobody faxes things anymore. That's so 2005!
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:58 pm

VictoriaF wrote:...

A copy room frequently also serves as a printer and fax room, and it can be one of the most haunted places in the office. The copiers jam especially when you try to make double-sided copies, color-rich PowerPoint slides quickly drain printers of ink, fax machines bunch several pages creating a discontinuity on the receiving end.

The knowledge of how to fix a copier jam or replace an ink cartridge in a printer is rare, but it is not appreciated in a modern office -- a poorly understood economic inefficiency. ;-) ...
Copy that. :thumbsup :)
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:37 am

Fallible wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:...

The knowledge of how to fix a copier jam or replace an ink cartridge in a printer is rare, but it is not appreciated in a modern office -- a poorly understood economic inefficiency. ;-) ...
Copy that. :thumbsup :)
:sharebeer
Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:02 am

Petrocelli wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

The knowledge of how to fix a copier jam or replace an ink cartridge in a printer is rare, but it is not appreciated in a modern office -- a poorly understood economic inefficiency. ;-)
Nobody faxes things anymore. That's so 2005!
Tell that to my insurance company - who still requires faxed documentation for HSA/FSA claims :(
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

protagonist

Re: Movie night in recommendations

Post by protagonist » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:44 pm

The Bad Seed (1956). It's like The Exorcist meets Leave it to Beaver. "What will you give me for a basket of kisses?"

jginseattle

New movie "Cosmopolis"

Post by jginseattle » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:14 pm

David Cronenberg's latest is a brilliant satire about America, money, identity, eroticism and death. It's quite funny and pointed, but some may find it talky and slow.

Makes me want to read the Don DeLillo novel.

New York Times review...

http://movies.nytimes.com/2012/08/17/mo ... .html?_r=0

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:24 am

It's not for everyone, but I really loved Moonrise Kingdom, which is still in some theaters.
chaz wrote:Fargo was one of the best by the Coen brothers.
Great movie.
Minor spoiler ahead for those who haven't seen 'Fargo' ...

Do you remember the girl who gets shot by the main bad guy (Peter Stormare's character) after a brief car chase that leads to her car overturning? I went to school with her! She was doing catering for the film and someone there liked her look, so they gave her that very brief role. So lucky!
bogleheads, don't knock state lotteries. They helped defund the mafia.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:33 pm

Most Coen brothers films

Woody Allen's Sleeper

Run Lola Run
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:41 pm

I just saw Hugo I loved it.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:15 pm

I do a movie night at my home for friends and neighbors once a month.

I gravitate to weird, offbeat movies (as well as some classic 1950s sci-fi and stuff like that)....mainly because everybody has seen Casablanca and Shawshank and The Godfather and The Matrix and almost everything else in Internet Movie Database's "top 250" a million times anyway. So I try to find quirky "fun stuff". It doesn't always fly with everybody involved, but when it hits, it really hits. Besides it is more fun for me that way.

I also choose a theme for the month, and send out a ballot with 4 or 5 films for people to vote on.

Mr Grumpy

Post by Mr Grumpy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:47 am

Right now it's a movie titled, "Dark City", made in 1950, starring Charlton Heston. He plays a card hustler along with Jack Webb who plays a bad guy as well. It's a hoot. Great black and white with period autos, a saloon singer hussy, and a "nice girl". Heston's first starring role and guess what? Strange career choice, Heston plays a guy living on the edge of the law ! You may find yourself fast forwarding through some of the dialogue, but the ending is worth the time. The film answers an important question (what men want from women) , i.e., total adoration of course.
How they got this one past the "morality code" people is beyond me. Check it out.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:52 am

protagonist wrote:I do a movie night at my home for friends and neighbors once a month.

I gravitate to weird, offbeat movies (as well as some classic 1950s sci-fi and stuff like that)....mainly because everybody has seen Casablanca and Shawshank and The Godfather and The Matrix and almost everything else in Internet Movie Database's "top 250" a million times anyway. So I try to find quirky "fun stuff". It doesn't always fly with everybody involved, but when it hits, it really hits. Besides it is more fun for me that way.

I also choose a theme for the month, and send out a ballot with 4 or 5 films for people to vote on.
Have you screened "Rocky Horror Picture Show"? It's one of my all-time favorites.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:30 am

VictoriaF wrote:
protagonist wrote:I do a movie night at my home for friends and neighbors once a month.

Have you screened "Rocky Horror Picture Show"? It's one of my all-time favorites.

Victoria
Of course.

leo383

Post by leo383 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:37 am

This book is a good resource for movies that weren't big hits, but are worth seeing anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/Never-Coming-Thea ... r+near+you

Yam the Bomb

Post by Yam the Bomb » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:23 am

It doesn't get any better than Tombstone.

The first two seasons of Deadwood were good too.

Yam the Bomb

Post by Yam the Bomb » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:29 am

A Summer Story is worth checking out too for fans of A Christmas Story. A different kid plays Ralphie (McCaulkin I think) and most of the actors are different but the same characters and same narrator. Based on the same Jean Sheppard book but different chapters.

There was a third one too but it wasn't too good.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:09 am

Mr Grumpy wrote:Right now it's a movie titled, "Dark City", made in 1950, starring Charlton Heston.
There's another movie called "Dark City" that's well worth a watch too, by the way. Sort of a psychological, philosophical, film-noir, sci-fi kind of thing.

Actually, back in the late '90s there were three good sci-fi movies that came out that explored questions of identity and existence. "The Matrix" got all the glory, of course. "Dark City" was largely forgotten, as was "The Thirteenth Floor". These latter two were not as visually spectacular as "The Matrix", but I think the hold up as better movies.

You could show all three, and maybe toss in "Gattaca", and you'd have a bang-up '90s sci-fi film festival sure to spur many an after-movie conversation.

JJ
Stay on target...

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:33 pm

Last Tango in Paris

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:08 pm

reggiesimpson wrote:Last Tango in Paris
Interesting this wasn't mentioned before. BTW, almost as famous as the movie was Pauline Kael's review of it in The New Yorker (assuming you could fathom Kael).
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:55 am

Love Actually. One image from the film has been with me for almost ten years. It's when an English writer Jamie (played by Colin Firth) works on his book in an idyllic French countryside. This is something I would like to do. Eventually.

Victoria

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:12 pm

Fallible wrote:
reggiesimpson wrote:Last Tango in Paris
Interesting this wasn't mentioned before. BTW, almost as famous as the movie was Pauline Kael's review of it in The New Yorker (assuming you could fathom Kael).
Yes i was also surprised it wasnt mentioned previously (showing our age maybe). Thanks for the review tip.
Maria Schneider died recently after leading a not so happy life. She blamed Bertolucci and Brando and the movie for her dissolution. Life not exactly imitating art as Pauline Kael implied.

Ged

Post by Ged » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:46 pm

Here are two choices that are definitely rather unusual.

Primer: What happens if it actually works?

This movie is a realistic film about time travel. The main characters in the movie are engineers, and they talk and behave like actual engineers. I know that sounds unusual, but this is one of the most unusual films ever made. It was made on a $7000 production budget so there are no special effects or CGI. The plot is incredibly complex, especially near the end. Fortunately there are fan sites that will help you work through what actually happened.

Was nominated for and won several awards at places like Sundance. XKCD has a cartoon based on it:

Berberian Sound Studio

This film is in the giallo tradition. The topic is making the soundtrack for an Italian satanic horror movie. As such having a good sound system is helpful. As the movie progresses that distinction between real life and the film being made gets a tad blurry. The movie tends to wander a bit towards the end, but all in all it's an extremely creative film with pretty good acting.
Last edited by Ged on Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:49 pm

The Queen of Versailles

It got rave reviews on bogleheads.
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=128617

Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:52 pm

No Country for Old Men
Forrest Gump
3:10 to Yuma

apog

Post by apog » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:30 am

Safety Not Guaranteed
Film based on classified ad: "Wanted: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box 91 Ocean View, WA 99393. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before."

Ink
Storytellers (bestowers of good dreams) and Incubi (providers of nightmares) battle over the life of a young girl and a man's soul.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:48 am

I can vouch for many of those listed multiple times, so let me add a few not commonly listed here:

Before Sunrise (Richard Linklater at his best)

Devils Advocate (Al Pacino shines here)

Glengarry Glen Ross (amazing cast of fine actors)

Gran Torino (Clint Eastwood at his best)

White Oleander (Michelle Pfeiffer is *outstanding* in this )

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (Tommy Lee Jones - what can you say? omg)

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

denovo

Post by denovo » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:37 am

If one is an action buff , some of Jackie Chan's flicks from his Hong Kong era are a treat if you don't object to subtitles , dubbed English, or speak fluent Mandarin
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:14 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:I can vouch for many of those listed multiple times, so let me add a few not commonly listed here:

Which one might as well follow-up with the marvelous sequels Before Sunset and Before Midnight.

Although Before Sunrise is probably still my favorite of the trilogy. It inspired me to go to Vienna, in fact (I sought out several of the locations).

The sequels are arguably better movies. Deeper and more "real life". Increasingly more nuanced and less romantic.

But there's just something about that first one. Those great set pieces: The fake phone conversation, the street poet, and of course, that wordless listening booth scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQpYHiB0k6k

*sigh*
Stay on target...

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:09 pm

Ged wrote:
Primer: What happens if it actually works?

This movie is a realistic film about time travel. The main characters in the movie are engineers, and they talk and behave like actual engineers. I know that sounds unusual, but this is one of the most unusual films ever made. It was made on a $7000 production budget so there are no special effects or CGI. The plot is incredibly complex, especially near the end. Fortunately there are fan sites that will help you work through what actually happened.
Thanks. I'll have to check it out. I love movies that are frightfully confusing but actually do have a cohesive narrative somewhere in there. At the same time, I should be able to grasp enough upon first viewing to make me want to figure out more. Mulholland Drive is in that category. Obviously, that would seem to be David Lynch's specialty, but I'm not entirely convinced that all of films actually do have a cohesive narrative at all. A non-Lynch movie like this that I really enjoyed was Upstream Color, available on Netflix Instant.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

grayparrot

Post by grayparrot » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:50 pm

Michael Apted's moving and introspective longitudinal documentary project 7-up, which began in the 1960s with profiles of several British schoolchildren from various social backgrounds. Follow-up films every seven years since (7+7, 21 up, 28 up, etc) have followed the children throughout their subsequent lives; the latest is 56-up, and came out last year. Fascinating, bittersweet and thought-provoking.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:29 pm

apog wrote:Safety Not Guaranteed
Film based on classified ad: "Wanted: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box 91 Ocean View, WA 99393. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before."

Ink
Storytellers (bestowers of good dreams) and Incubi (providers of nightmares) battle over the life of a young girl and a man's soul.
:thumbsup
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:31 pm

JupiterJones wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:I can vouch for many of those listed multiple times, so let me add a few not commonly listed here:

Which one might as well follow-up with the marvelous sequels Before Sunset and Before Midnight.

Although Before Sunrise is probably still my favorite of the trilogy. It inspired me to go to Vienna, in fact (I sought out several of the locations).

The sequels are arguably better movies. Deeper and more "real life". Increasingly more nuanced and less romantic.

But there's just something about that first one. Those great set pieces: The fake phone conversation, the street poet, and of course, that wordless listening booth scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQpYHiB0k6k

*sigh*
Barefootgirl and JupiterJones,

Thank you for the recommendation. I am going to watch Before Sunrise,

Victoria

pinecrest

Post by pinecrest » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:00 pm

Last edited by pinecrest on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:17 pm

pinecrest wrote:* Mulholland Drive
And multiple viewings is a must. I truly enjoyed subsequent viewings more than the first. Something about being able to relax and not try so hard to follow it, although reading one of the many plot explanations on the internet is both helpful and interesting.

* Jaws - the mechanical shark will look fake, but it will be fun anyway
Don't count on it. And yes, fun and suspenseful. Even after all these years.

* Fargo
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

pinecrest

Post by pinecrest » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:20 pm

Last edited by pinecrest on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:09 am

pinecrest wrote:
bertilak wrote:
pinecrest wrote:* Mulholland Drive
And multiple viewings is a must. I truly enjoyed subsequent viewings more than the first. Something about being able to relax and not try so hard to follow it, although reading one of the many plot explanations on the internet is both helpful and interesting.
Yeah, I read them all. I felt I was an expert at the time. :D Obviously not, though. But I will say that that was the best investment I've ever made in a DVD since you HAVE to watch it at least 10 times.

No hay banda. :sharebeer
Naomi Watts... gorgeous. :thumbsup

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:39 am

Victoria, I hope you enjoy it.

Jupiter - a tip of the hat from one super fan of that film, to another.

I've always had this eerie feeling, as if Linklater made his films, just specifically for *me* (as silly as that sounds).

This morning I learn it's not true and that's a good thing :)

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:49 am

Barefootgirl wrote:Victoria, I hope you enjoy it.

I've always had this eerie feeling, as if Linklater made his films, just specifically for *me* (as silly as that sounds).

BFG
I've just watched Before Sunrise. It's a great film, thank you again for the recommendation!

Victoria

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:05 am

denovo wrote:If one is an action buff , some of Jackie Chan's flicks from his Hong Kong era are a treat if you don't object to subtitles , dubbed English, or speak fluent Mandarin
I am pretty sure that early Jackie Chan movies are in Cantonese. That's what people in Hong Kong speak, although there has been an increase in Mandarin speaking immigrants since 1997.
Hong Kong's de facto official language is Cantonese, a Chinese language originating from Guangdong province to the north of Hong Kong. English is also an official language, and according to a 1996 by-census is spoken by 3.1 percent of the population as an everyday language and by 34.9 percent of the population as a second language. Signs displaying both Chinese and English are common throughout the territory. Since the 1997 handover, an increase in immigrants from mainland China and greater integration with the mainland economy have brought an increasing number of Mandarin speakers to Hong Kong.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong

Here is the wikipedia entry for Drunken Master from 1978
Traditional 醉拳
Cantonese Zeoi3 Kyun4
Directed by Yuen Woo-ping
Starring Jackie Chan
Distributed by Seasonal Film Corporation
Release dates
5 October 1978
Running time 110 minutes
Country Hong Kong
Language Cantonese
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunken_Master

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:26 am

I don't think it's going to affect many Bogleheads one way or another. (It's almost as significant as whether Mel Gibson had chosen Aramaic or Hebrew). However, for what it's worth, it seems like a good many of those Hong Kong films are dubbed in Mandarin even though the actors were speaking Cantonese during filming. Some DVD releases let you choose the dialect.
bogleheads, don't knock state lotteries. They helped defund the mafia.

denovo

Post by denovo » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:10 pm

Petrocelli wrote:
chaz wrote:Fargo was one of the best by the Coen brothers.
I agree on this. I have a hard time picking my favorite Coen Bros. movie though. I have seen every Coen Bros. film at least twice, and have probably watched Miller's Crossing 10 times.

We should be thankful that there are still a few creative filmmakers in Hollywood. If left to their devices, we get movie remakes of mediocre 60s TV shows (like Dark Shadows and the Avengers).

There's a fine line between creative and just bizarre and wacky. In my opinion, the Coen brothers have passed that line at times. I am thinking of "Burn After Reading"
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

countdown

Post by countdown » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:27 pm

Crash

Lost in Translation

floydtime

Post by floydtime » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:42 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:Victoria, I hope you enjoy it.

BFG
I've just watched Before Sunrise. It's a great film, thank you again for the recommendation!

Victoria
Bumping because I just saw Before Midnight(2013), which is the 3rd in this very unique trilogy. I saw the first two (Before Sunrise(1995) and Before Sunset(2004)) years ago.

Wow, just WOW. Never seen anything quite like these three movies before. They're probably not for everyone, but if these movies connect with you, they will in a very big way. They were so personal and "real" that I almost felt like I was eavesdropping the entire time.

I was stunned that the new one (now about the middle-aged couple) could match the first two. If anything, it's even better.
"Do not value money for any more nor any less than its worth; it is a good servant but a bad master" - Alexandre Dumas

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:17 pm

I just saw Before Midnight this past weekend and haven't been able to get it from my mind since.

The first and now this third movie, resonate within me deeply. I enjoyed the second one, but for me, it doesn't carry the soul's weight of the other two.

I almost feel as if this last one should be mandatory viewing for any class studying Jungian Psychology. Without giving anything away, the dinner table dialogue will stay with me forever.

We are led to hope for a 4th in the series and on a lighter note, we've gone before sunrise, sunset and midnight - what could possibly follow?
BFG

floydtime

Post by floydtime » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:38 am

I'm really glad other people got as much out of these movies as I did. I'm not sure why that matters, but it does. :beer

Yeah, the dinner dialogue was just so real and vibrant. For me it was the end of the hotel room scene that grabbed me the most, when she finally walked out for the last time, and he realized she wasn't going to come back, and he was looking at the empty bed, the full wineglasses, the walls...it captured the feeling almost too well.

Fourth movie? I guess following the pattern it would be...Before Noon? Or maybe start the cycle in reverse and go with After Midnight, then After Sunset, and finally After Sunrise?
"Do not value money for any more nor any less than its worth; it is a good servant but a bad master" - Alexandre Dumas

jedblanks

Post by jedblanks » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:09 am

Stuff I didn't see:

The Big Lebowski
O Brother Where Art Thou
Raising Arizona
A Simple Plan

Minot

Post by Minot » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:14 pm

Cushingura
Of Gods and Men. The final scene in this movie is remarkable.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:00 pm

Primer - you will need to bend your head to figure this one out.

Ged

Post by Ged » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:35 pm

ryuns wrote:
Ged wrote: Primer: What happens if it actually works?
Thanks. I'll have to check it out. I love movies that are frightfully confusing but actually do have a cohesive narrative somewhere in there. At the same time, I should be able to grasp enough upon first viewing to make me want to figure out more. Mulholland Drive is in that category. Obviously, that would seem to be David Lynch's specialty, but I'm not entirely convinced that all of films actually do have a cohesive narrative at all. A non-Lynch movie like this that I really enjoyed was Upstream Color, available on Netflix Instant.
Thanks for the recommendation of Upstream Color, I am going to watch it today. I liked Mulholland Drive, which is something I can't say for all of David Lynch's movies.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:52 am

When I saw this, I thought of this thread. :D

Our local art house cinema is showing the entire "Before" trilogy in one sitting:

http://www.belcourt.org/events/celine-a ... ogy.716921

They even have a dining option where they, appropriately, serve you Parisian food & wine before "Before Sunset" and Mediterranean snacks before "Before Midnight". :beer

Tempted to go...
Stay on target...