Coffee Maker

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tekenn

Coffee Maker

Post by tekenn »

I make a pot of coffe from ground beans every morning and drink about 3 cups before geting out to the day.
My Braun maker is dying. I am looking at a Newco OSC 12A as itis being discontinued.
Any thoughts on a good machine for a family that does not need expesso or designer coffee??
joe8d

Re: Coffee Maker

Post by joe8d »

i just use a Mr Coffee 4-5 cupper with Maxwell House original roast coffee :)
All the Best, | Joe
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

I also use a simple Mr.Coffee brewer at home, but do notice that a cup from the same beans at the coffee shop tastes much better - must be the brewer - looking forward to learn from this thread.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
Tony_L

Post by Tony_L »

We own 2 Bunn model HG 8 cup coffee makers - one at home and 1 at our cabin. Wife & I definitely drink too much coffee, Starbucks. Can make as few as 2 and as many as 8 cups of coffee equally well. Has auto start feature which is especially helpful since it prevents us from having to think about or do anything, except pour and drink the coffee so early in the morning.
Also, if you call Bunn they have different spray heads available with smaller holes. This slows down the rate the water flows over the grounds giving a stronger cup of coffee. Available from Amazon for $92. Also available from some better local department stores but make sure you don't pay more than $99.
Tony
Toons

Post by Toons »

I just bought this one a couple weeks ago from Walmart.No frills ,no clock,etc,,,just on,off button (nice shade of green when on :D )By the way I replace coffee cups every several years,I've had expensive ones and inexpensive ones.That being said this definately falls under the inexpensive category,but it makes nice hot coffee,,no compalints and the price is right!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mr.-Coffee-12 ... er/5811511
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

When I want to learn about coffee makers, I don't just ask the bogleheads, I search the bogleheads.

http://www.google.com/search?q=coffee+m ... eheads.org
You could try this, but I like the above search better:
http://www.google.com/search?q=coffee+m ... eheads.org
Kuota Rider

Post by Kuota Rider »

Cuisanart DCC-1200
kyh7

Post by kyh7 »

You can "cold brew" coffee, and it does not require a machine. Basically, let the coffee grounds sit in room temperature water overnight. Then strain it out.
http://www.southernplate.com/2009/03/to ... pense.html

I found that I was too impatient for straining it, so I make a pouch of coffee grounds using cheesecloth, then I wash the cheesecloth when I'm done. Also, I microwave the coffee if I want it to be hot. Does that sound gross to some people? I wouldn't have bought a machine, if I knew that I didn't need one.

Guests found it kind of strange, but I thought the coffee was good!
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

We have a Cuisinart Grind & Brew which is great. And you can't beat that Cruisinart 3-year warranty. When I shopped for it I found the prices to be all over the board--up to $120 at Best Buy with considerably lower prices at Kohl's and Macy's. I eventually found a floor model on sale for $35 at Macy's. When it burned out after a couple years Cuisinart replaced it for free, and even covered the shipping. You can't beat that. The company also has great telephone tech support for their appliances.
matjen

Post by matjen »

I haven't used a coffee maker in 10+ years. You can get much better coffee using a french press and keeping it warm in a carafe.
http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Brazil-Shat ... 674&sr=8-5
http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Chambord-Th ... 735&sr=1-7

The key is to make sure your coffee is ground a bit more coarse than typical drip coffee grind.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Bengineer

Post by Bengineer »

I've owned a NewCo OCS-8 for quite a while. Best thermal carafe ever - it's a proper glass dewar, holds coffee for hours. Good review on CoffeeGeek years ago when I was looking. Haven't regretted it. I really like being able to get parts. Check the height - the NewCo might not fit under your cabinets.
boffalora

Post by boffalora »

I thoroughly enjoy a pot of coffee in the morning. I generally brew 6 cups, which fills a typical small coffee mug three times.

I've used the $17 Mr. Coffee dripmaker Toons suggested and it's a great machine for the money. It's available at both Walmart and Target for that price.

But over the past two years I've made a game of "how cheap can I go and still brew good coffee"?

Target gets the prize. Chefmate, Target's own brand of 12-cup dripmaker, sells for $9.24. It's available in black or white. I'm using one and keeping a new one as a spare.

http://www.target.com/p/Chefmate-12-Cup ... tailbutton
Toons

Post by Toons »

boffalora wrote:I thoroughly enjoy a pot of coffee in the morning. I generally brew 6 cups, which fills a typical small coffee mug three times.

I've used the $17 Mr. Coffee dripmaker Toons suggested and it's a great machine for the money. It's available at both Walmart and Target for that price.

But over the past two years I've made a game of "how cheap can I go and still brew good coffee"?

Target gets the prize. Chefmate, Target's own brand of 12-cup dripmaker, sells for $9.24. It's available in black or white. I'm using one and keeping a new one as a spare.

http://www.target.com/p/Chefmate-12-Cup ... tailbutton

I like your way of thinking, :D
I will be checking out that coffee pot!
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
joebruin77

Post by joebruin77 »

Mrs.Feeley wrote:We have a Cuisinart Grind & Brew which is great. And you can't beat that Cruisinart 3-year warranty. When I shopped for it I found the prices to be all over the board--up to $120 at Best Buy with considerably lower prices at Kohl's and Macy's. I eventually found a floor model on sale for $35 at Macy's. When it burned out after a couple years Cuisinart replaced it for free, and even covered the shipping. You can't beat that. The company also has great telephone tech support for their appliances.
+1 for the Cuisinart Grind & Brew. My wife and I got one as a wedding present and, 9 years later, it is still going strong.

I buy the Costco-brand whole bean coffee, so the cost per cup is very small. And, I believe, it tastes just as good as the gourmet coffee shop (but without the $2+ cost).
Dinero

Post by Dinero »

I have a Cuisinart that looks very similar to the Newco you mentioned. It is the best coffee maker I've ever had, and I've had several over the years.

The thermal carafe, with the pour-through lid (no fussing with twisting, etc.) keeps coffee warm and fresh for hours. No burned coffee taste from sitting on a warming plate.
OutOfCyan

Post by OutOfCyan »

joebruin77 wrote:+1 for the Cuisinart Grind & Brew.
I had one of these for years. The newer ones are easier to clean: dump the coffee from the basket and give the grinder a quick once-over.

A couple years ago, I switched to Black & Decker Spacemaker appliances due to kitchen clutter (we must have 10+ small kitchen appliances, many of them out simultaneously). We now have a burr grinder. Truth be told, I can't tell the difference between coffee that's been through the burr grinder vs. the Cuisinart's blade grinder. It uses a metal screen to push the grounds from the grinder to the basket once they're the appropriate side.

The grinder is loud in the morning. If you buy a plastic bucket or trash bin, I find that provides decent sound insulation.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I have a programmable Cuisinart. The coffee it makes is very good, perhaps not great (I have an espresso machine for that). What I love about it, though is that every evening I determine what my wife's alarm clock is set to (she still works, I'm a house-husband), set the coffee maker accordingly, and then get up 10 minutes before she does. I have coffee waiting for me, and I get to bring up her first cup while she's still in bed. Every morning she says: "Oh THANK you, sweetie." Been doing that for over a decade; I have brownie points to spare (they don't seem to collect interest, but they're still nice to have).

So, I would recommend a programmable maker if your situation warrants. Even if you don't want to bring coffee to someone else, it is nice to come into the kitchen with the smell of a fresh pot of coffee going.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

joebruin77 wrote:I buy the Costco-brand whole bean coffee, so the cost per cup is very small. And, I believe, it tastes just as good as the gourmet coffee shop (but without the $2+ cost).
Costco is the best value for decent coffee (including Fair Trade and organic), IMO. $6-7/lb vs $8-10 at Trader Joe's, $8/lb at Winco or $10++ at the grocery store.

There are much better coffees out there, for much more money. Just bought a bag of this stuff for a gift for my brother, $14 for 12 oz: http://www.coffeereview.com/review.cfm?ID=2269
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
southerndoc

Post by southerndoc »

Not really Bogleheadish, but we have a Cuisinart K-cup coffee maker. Absolutely love it!
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

Here's another vote for a Cuisinart coffeemaker. I have had mine for about 6 years and use it daily. It makes great coffee with the cheap brands and even better coffee with the good roasts.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
runthetrails

Post by runthetrails »

I prefer cafetiere to drip.
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

When my Braun went down a few years ago, I did a lot of research and concluded that all of the electric drip coffee makers were a disappointment. Some didn't heat the water hot enough (or stopped doing so after a few months); most seemed to have seal issues so that the electronics short circuit within a couple of years. I decided to go old school with a Melitta pot and cone. I don't use the pot anymore - goes direct into the thermal carafe. This results in less bitterness than keeping it heated on the electric coffeemaker. I also use a $90 Capresso burr grinder, which produces less burn than the blade grinders I'd used over the years. I use the Costco Seattle Mountain Sumatra that they roast at the store - great stuff.
leo383

Post by leo383 »

Melitta Ready Set Joe.

http://shop.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=64+010

Makes a great cup of coffee. Most coffee makers don't get the water temp right (too cool). This you can control temp and strength exactly.
Topic Author
tekenn

Post by tekenn »

Thanks for all your help. I did not realize that this had been a topic in tha past.
Thanks Again