java question

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mbres60

java question

Post by mbres60 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:52 pm

I got two things on my desktop about java fatal errors. Neither my husband nor myself are computer geeks. googling brings up varied responses or none that are very good. Anyone here know anything about this:

A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x6d09ccbd, pid=1608, tid=4120
#
# JRE version: 6.0_29-b11
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (20.4-b02 mixed mode, sharing windows-x86 )
# Problematic frame:
# C [awt.dll+0x9ccbd]
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
# http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.

There is a lot more "greek" but this is the beginning. Oh, and this is one. The other one is similar but a little different. Thanks for any help

mas

Re: java question

Post by mas » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:09 pm

It may not help, but it wouldn't hurt to upgrade to the latest:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 77142.html

Possibly could be this fixed bug:
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bu ... id=7073337

You didn't mention what you were doing when the error occurs.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:24 pm

Let me help translate. First, check that you have the latest version installed: Verify Java Version If not, you will be prompted to download and install the latest version. You'll probably need to reboot after the install.

If you already have the latest version, try closing out everything that you were doing and reboot. Then, go back to the program you were using and try to repeat the problem.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:58 pm

Thanks all. Mas - sorry but I could not understand all that "tech" talk.

LadyGeek. I found out I have version 6 update 29. It says I can update latest version 6 update 30. I can certainly do that.

Yesterday I was on the computer for a long time trying to upload photos to Costco so I can create a photobook. The only troubles I had were my own (spending 45 minutes uploading and then accidentally clicking on something to the right of the screen and then losing all my upload because I hadn't saved it yet :(

I don't play games and don't actually know what java is and when I might be using it. Later on when my husband went to use the computer he saw 2 new icons on the desktop. Both were different java fatal errors. I have no clue how or when this happened so I can't reproduce it. Is the advise to still update to 30?

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:02 pm

Yeah, still upgrade to update 30. Actually, I would completely uninstall java first before attempting to install the latest version. That will probably fix it. But if you didn't actually notice when an error occurred, you can probably safely ignore the error message. It sounds like Java made a native call and something went wrong. Probably tried to access some off-limits section of memory.

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:05 pm

kyleaaa- what is a native call?

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:10 pm

mbres60 wrote:kyleaaa- what is a native call?
Something that nobody but nerds need to worry about :D

jpsfranks

Post by jpsfranks » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:31 pm

Are the files that are appearing named hs_err_pidXXXX.log or something similar?

The fact that these Java error files are being deposited on your desktop suggests that they are coming from another Java based program that is on your desktop. Maybe you can take a look at the programs on your desktop and think of which one may be the responsible. If you're not sure, if you list the programs you run from the desktop somebody here may be able to identify a likely Java based culprit.

For the nerds, I think the default location for Java error files on a JVM crash is the current working directory, so if the error files ended up there likely the offending program was launched from the desktop. I think it may even mean that the binary itself was located on the desktop, not a shortcut, but I'm not sure about that.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:11 pm

For the nerds, awt.dll is the Abstract Window Toolkit used for the windows GUI. If the OP is seeing multiple crash reports, something is probably not behaving as intended.

For everyone else:
Was any new software recently installed, such as just before you noticed the new icons?

Java, along with Adobe flash, etc. is on the list of "things to keep updated." It's as important as the anti-virus programs and Windows updates.

(I can't confirm my installed Windows 7 version, as I'm using Linux right now. :) )
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:49 pm

The new icons on my desktop say hs_err_pid1 and the other pid4. When I was on Costco Photo I don't remember if I had to download anything (nothing though new on the desktop other than these icons). I don't have a lot of icons on my desktop but I do have a couple of columns. Some I don't use but just never deleted. I do have Skype (always turned off except for the occasional times we use it), itunes, my free Norton antivirus from my cable co, quicktime player, kodak easy share (don't use it), constant guard, and a few of the usual like adobe reader 8, IE, microsoft works. I also have Safari which I never use but it was downloaded once with an itunes update, malwarebites, windows defender . Other than that I still have Roxio and Corel which originally came with my computer but I don't use them. Any of these sound suspect?

bru

Post by bru » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:14 pm

One day I noticed a Java error notice on my desktop. I looked at it and it made no sense to me so I deleted it. YMMV :wink: .

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:18 pm

It is also possible that the Costco web site use of Java is not compatible with the latest releases of Java. In that case, upgrading Java will do you no good. However, maybe ranting about Costco and their backwardness on this forum may do some good. :twisted:
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:52 pm

livesoft may have a point. I found the Costco "Help" for the file uploader. Image Upload Issues

Scroll down until you see "Click the empty white box on the bottom line under the heading 'Java Runtime Parameters' and enter: -Xmx128M (case sensitive and including the hyphen).

Once you update java, you'll get a new last line. The "-Xmx128M" entry should be in the (latest) last line. OTOH, can you upload the files without the Quick Uploader (do it the slow way)? Costco wants you to change the security settings of your web browser just for their site. That's not a good idea, as you might click on something you shouldn't somewhere else and let the bad guys in. I hope your Norton 8 is up to date (daily check).

nerds - Costco somehow needs 128M extra heap space.

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:23 pm

LadyGeek - I don't remember any longer about the ActiveX thing. It probably popped up and I probably had to say ok for that site but I don't remember. (shouldn't it pop up every time I go to the site? It doesn't pop up now.) I had no issues uploading pictures. It says quick upload -IE edition. I also checked to do full resolution upload instead of fast upload. Not only did I have no problems uploading pictures then I just uploaded about 5 more a little while ago and had no issues.

edit - I see on the right it says about other upload tools that there is a quck updater - java edition. I did not need to use it. I just used whatever the default was.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:09 pm

If it works, don't change anything. Checking "do full resolution" is probably the work-around for your java problem. I'm not sure, but it sounds reasonable. Once the ActiveX control is installed, you shouldn't get any more pop ups. I'd restore the security settings, but I'm not sure what they were in the first place. (I never install ActiveX controls unless I trust the site and really need it, which is very rare.)

After you are done, delete those java crash reports from your desktop and update java. While you're at it, do a Windows Update (in case it's not done automatically), and think about backing up anything important on your PC. Backups are not related to your problem, but it's always good practice to be prepared.

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:37 pm

Thanks LadyGeek - I have already updated Java to the newest one for me. I also looked in security settings about ActiveX. Lots of different things there but I have no clue what the proper settings should be. Most seem like they are as they should be however there are a few I am not so sure. I rarely print out pictures anymore (my kids will thank me when they have to go through all my stuff!) and this photobook is a one time thing so after I actually make the book I will rarely go to the Costco photo site.

One question though... When you see the yellow bar about ActiveX doesn't it ask you if you want to use it for that site only? Would it have changed any of my settings in my computer?

peppers

Post by peppers » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:38 pm

Best thread I read today. And, you are not nerds or geeks. You are highly trained, skilled professionals. I'm too old to be a techie, but at our company I would rather hang out with the IT people than the over rated Alpha managers.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:49 pm

Uh, we are Alpha managers. And over-rated ones at that.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:16 pm

mbres60 wrote:One question though... When you see the yellow bar about ActiveX doesn't it ask you if you want to use it for that site only? Would it have changed any of my settings in my computer?
Starting with IE 9, you can do site-specific ActiveX activation; prior versions could not. Here's how: Internet Explorer 9 Feature Focus: ActiveX Filtering (it gets technical)

Malware ActiveX controls will change lots of settings on your computer, which is why I don't like using them. Get the latest IE, and be sure that your security is set to the recommended level. See: Security and privacy features in Internet Explorer, click on "How do I know which settings are not at recommended levels? ". It also might help to read Microsoft's Safety & Security Center and check up on the latest tips. Note that you can use Microsoft Security Essentials (free!) to replace Norton 8, but that's for another thread (also search the forum).
peppers wrote:Best thread I read today. And, you are not nerds or geeks. You are highly trained, skilled professionals.
I agree; I like hanging out with IT people, too. :)

anakinskywalker

Post by anakinskywalker » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:33 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
mbres60 wrote:kyleaaa- what is a native call?
Something that nobody but nerds need to worry about :D
Native code = compiled binary (machine language) code.

"native call" = invocation of a function implemented in native code

anakinskywalker

Post by anakinskywalker » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:35 pm

jpsfranks wrote:Are the files that are appearing named hs_err_pidXXXX.log or something similar?

The fact that these Java error files are being deposited on your desktop suggests that they are coming from another Java based program that is on your desktop. Maybe you can take a look at the programs on your desktop and think of which one may be the responsible. If you're not sure, if you list the programs you run from the desktop somebody here may be able to identify a likely Java based culprit.

For the nerds, I think the default location for Java error files on a JVM crash is the current working directory, so if the error files ended up there likely the offending program was launched from the desktop. I think it may even mean that the binary itself was located on the desktop, not a shortcut, but I'm not sure about that.

the binary itself can be anywhere.

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:51 am

Thanks all. I will have to read up on ActiveX. I have IE 8 and can't get 9 because I am using XP. I'll have to figure out if my security settings for Active X are as they should be.