Auto Parts

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
airahcaz

Auto Parts

Post by airahcaz » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:11 am

Where do folks get auto parts whereby we may not need OEM?

Amazon?
eBay?
Advanced Auto Parts?
NAPA?
AM Auto Parts?
Other?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)

Woodshark

Re: Auto Parts

Post by Woodshark » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:45 am

If I need to source it fast, I generally buy from PepBoys or Autozone. If I can wait for it to be shipped then I order from RockAuto.com. They have about every repair part you would need.

Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:06 am

Woodshark wrote:If I need to source it fast, I generally buy from PepBoys or Autozone. If I can wait for it to be shipped then I order from RockAuto.com. They have about every repair part you would need.
Another vote for rockauto.com, and NAPA.

About the only things I buy outside the dealership is air filters and wiper blades. My neighbor installs them for us.

Sam I Am

chaz

Post by chaz » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:16 pm

PepBoys is good.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:22 pm

I've found that most local stores have similar prices. Around here...

NAPA, O'Riley's, AutoZone, Advance, etc...they're all pretty similar.

I buy everything without going to the dealer. :mrgreen:

ohiost90

Post by ohiost90 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:55 pm

guitarguy wrote:I've found that most local stores have similar prices. Around here...

NAPA, O'Riley's, AutoZone, Advance, etc...they're all pretty similar.
Same here, with in a few bucks usually.

guitarguy wrote: I buy everything without going to the dealer. :mrgreen:
+ 1. I've really stoped going to the dealer for parts but some times I swing by just to giggles. I know they will always be 2x to 4x higher than what I can get at the local shops. And I really don't
care if it OEM or not. OEM was won on low bid and it broke, hence the reason for replacement. I few months ago I needed a power window assembly. local auto parts were from 100 to 120. Dealer wanted just south of $400. Not sure if I got OEM for that part, but I could buy 2 more and still be ahead of the game.

Mister Whale

Post by Mister Whale » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:08 pm

The quality of actual auto parts (starter motors, alternators, fuel pumps etc.) seems to be generally higher at my local NAPA compared to AutoZone. Plus the NAPA parts come with necessary ancillary pieces that you may or may not have saved, or left correctly assembled, from the broken component, and they often don't from AutoZone.

For miscellaneous supplies (spark plugs, wiper blades, batteries, oil) I don't think it matters where you shop.
" ... advice is most useful and at its best, not when it is telling you what to do, but when it is illuminating aspects of the situation you hadn't thought about." --nisiprius