Do Bogleheads hire maid services?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
0cean23

Do Bogleheads hire maid services?

Post by 0cean23 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:53 pm

Do you clean your own home or hire a maid service to do it for you? In some cases, time is money and if you outsource the cleaning work to someone else, you can put your time into something more valuable like making money. Do you clean your home or pay someone to do it?

XtremeSki2001

Re: Do Bogleheads hire maid services?

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:56 pm

0cean23 wrote:Do you clean your own home or hire a maid service to do it for you? In some cases, time is money and if you outsource the cleaning work to someone else, you can put your time into something more valuable like making money. Do you clean your home or pay someone to do it?
I'm curious about this as well - and perhaps to what extent Bogleheads have Nannys or Au Pairs.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

staustin

Post by staustin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:58 pm

As for our household, absolutely not... we clean our own home, we wash our own car, we cut our own grass..

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:00 pm

We hire a maid to clean every 2-3 weeks and the gardener comes every other week. We pay the maid $100 for roughly 10-11 hours of work and the gardener is paid $35 / visit. This is a drop in the bucket compared to the time we save where we get to spend on work or family time and not to mention a very happy wife.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

englishgirl

Post by englishgirl » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:01 pm

Bogleheads are not a homogeneous group.

Some do, some don't.

I used to, then decided I should cut back on spending. I daydream about hiring a maid service again, but am going to give transforming myself into a neat freak one more shot.
Sarah

bob90245

Post by bob90245 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:07 pm

0cean23 wrote:Do you clean your own home or hire a maid service to do it for you?
I do the cleaning.
0cean23 wrote:In some cases, time is money and if you outsource the cleaning work to someone else, you can put your time into something more valuable like making money.
I am at my place of employment during the typical weekday hours. That leaves a few weeknight hours free to do as I please. Plus I have two days in the weekend free. So the question would be, what kind of moneymaking side job would be so valuable that would entice me to devote this free time to? Plus have money left over to pay for maid service?
Ignore the market noise. Keep to your rebalancing schedule whether that is semi-annual, annual or trigger bands.

AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:08 pm

If there is something that needs to be done and I don't want to do it I see no reason not to pay someone else to do it. I hire lawn service, take the car in for maintenance, and as soon as I get some decluttering done I will hire housecleaning services.

btenny

Post by btenny » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:11 pm

I think we talked about this before but here is my thoughts again. I had a housekeeper for about 25 years when my two kids were growing up and my wife and I both worked. We hired the house keeper after my second kid when my wife was bribed to go back to work. We could afford it and we had a steady person come and deep clean the house every 2 weeks year round plus some extra spring and fall holiday cleaning. We also had yard service. All this saved us lots of time. We made time to cook and eat dinner together as a family almost every night. We also had time to go to the kids events and school activities. I think the house help dramatically improved our lifestyle and cohesivness as a family because we had the time to do things together besides clean the house and mow the lawn. Plus my wife loved it and I liked the clean house.

Bill

dgm

Post by dgm » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:17 pm

We do.

The missus and I have different standards for what constitutes 'clean' and this used to be a source of tension between us. I thought I had cleaned but she felt I was not pulling my weight.

Having a person come clean every 2-3 weeks has been worth every penny for us. We rent now and I am happy to pay less rent and give up some amenities we don't need and put that towards the cleaning service (and extra cash).

To folks who had housekeeping help and also had kids--do you feel that this prevented them from learning how to tidy up after themselves?

chaz

Post by chaz » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:24 pm

We have a maid for 1 day each 2 weeks.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Buckeye

Post by Buckeye » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:28 pm

No because of budget reasons.

But we do have our cars washed at the full service car wash......and have an outfit do our lawn.

So 2 out of 3 so far. :)

FafnerMorell

Post by FafnerMorell » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:29 pm

As pointed out, I don't think BHs are a monolithic group on all topics, even those involving spending.
That said, I hire a weekly maid service - while I don't consider our house getting all that dirty, my wife appreciates the dusting & misc cleaning they do.

imagardener

Post by imagardener » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:34 pm

We don't have a cleaning service or a lawn service.

1) My husband doesn't like people in his house, not so much as a security issue, just a personal issue.
2) I've never had a cleaner (when we did hire them) do it as well as I preferred. Control freak? maybe
3) We're retired but we felt the same when fully employed
4) The dog died years ago and there is less dirt now.
5) I enjoy mowing the yard, takes about 12 minutes total.

It's not about the money.
I am going to have our conversion van professionally washed and waxed from now on, like the car, but I'll still clean the interior.

Van

Post by Van » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:39 pm

Merry Maids once every 2 weeks.

We can easily afford it. A nice little luxury. So why not? You can't take the $ with you.

bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:42 pm

My wife and I made an agreement when we married 40 years ago, she doesn't clean the house and I don't do yard work. Never regretted the decision.

diehard

Post by diehard » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:56 pm

I am a big believer in outsourcing. As a result, I have a maid service, lawn service, a bookkeeper who pays my bills and files, I send my shirts to the cleaner and even have a chef come to my house every Wednesday and cook a weeks worth of dinners that are stored in the refrigerator. The result is that I have time to play golf, ride my bike, ski, play bridge and have free time to take classes while I hold down a full-time job.

HornedToad

Post by HornedToad » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:11 pm

We do. It's worth it to have a clean house and not have to do it ourselves or have my wife tell me that my version of clean doesn't meet her version of clean.

We both work alot so don't want to spend free time cleaning.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:15 pm

My wife and I do it all,,clean cook etc,,,,try to do any repairs that are needed also around the house ,cars,etc.
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

schnoodlemom

Post by schnoodlemom » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:18 pm

For us, we had a biweekly cleaning lady when I had a high risk pregnancy, as well as, infant, toddler, & elder care overload for about 2 years. Otherwise, our mess is our own and we have a wonderful love/hate relationship going! :)

btenny

Post by btenny » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:43 pm

My kids are grown and both keep pretty clean houses. So yes they learned to clean house. When they lived at home I made them clean their rooms as much as possible but honestly teenagers are really messy but they grow out of it.

Diehard. Doesn't managing all that household help take a good amount of time? Plus do you feel disconected from what you spend and eat by hiring all that work done?

Bill

ClaireTN

Post by ClaireTN » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:59 pm

We use a locally owned housekeeping business. They come in every other week for three hours. Our house has never been cleaner, and I love not having to do it myself. They even do things like dust the ceiling fan blades and clean the base boards. One of the big advantages of using a company is that we don't have to worry about tax/Social Security/insurance issues.

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:29 pm

We have a guy clean every-other-week. It costs $75 and saves us hours of cleaning, not to mention the arguing about the cleaning.

I'd rather cook, knit, spend time with my kids, take walks, etc. Cleaning is low on my list of things I enjoy doing, so I see no reason to do it as long as I can afford not to.

People eat out when they could cook at home, take their car to the mechanic when they could fix it themselves, and buy veggies at the store when they could garden. Why is cleaning so different?
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

Bungo

Post by Bungo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:36 pm

I hire a maid service every time I move out of a rental house, otherwise my wife and I do our own cleaning. Gardener is covered in the rent. Wife is at home, no nanny. I splurge for a car wash once every year or so, and also pay for oil changes. Zero interest in doing my own car maintenance.
Last edited by Bungo on Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fandango

Post by fandango » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:37 pm

We do all the house cleaning ourselves and always have.

Many of of neighbors have maids. We have discovered that maids carry gossip and other sensitive information (not to mention other kinds of dirt) from one house to the other.

Seriously, from what I have seen, we do a better job than a maid would. In fact, some of my neighbors have asked me to "teach" their maids how to clean some things.

We may reach a point someday when we need "help". But until then, we plan on doing the housework.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:40 pm

We had a similar, extensive thread on this several months ago. I tried to search for it but couldn't find it. Perhaps someone else will have better luck.
Gordon

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Our house is much cleaner with a weekly service than it would be without. I'm not that interested in keeping up with the cleaning, and my husband is too busy. It's definitely a quality of life investment. I'm not too worried about the impact on the kids - there's more than enough cleaning to go around the other six days of the week, plus they are forced to tidy their stuff before the service comes or risk having their treasures disappear into a random toy bin. We're happy to do our own yard work, though we did have a yard service the year we had major health issues.

No nanny or au pair, though - that's not something we were ever interested in pursuing. When we both worked we had the kids in a daycare center and/or full day preschool.

Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:01 pm

We have a cleaning lady once a month clean the whole house. Takes 5 hours. Wife is happy, I'm happy.

Edit: just saw Diehard's post about a chef preparing a week's worth of meals. I think we're heading in this direction, too. Neither my wife or myself enjoy cooking, and we end eating crap instead. As we get older and wealthier, it becomes fun to hire out the help. It makes our lives a lot easier, and I feel good about helping out the local economy....and support people who want to work.

alec

Post by alec » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:24 pm

We use a cleaning lady every two weeks bc it prevents my wife from hoarding useless stuff.

When our kids were younger we used lets dish to plan and make meals. Two working parents with young kids doesn't lead to healthy eating. Plus, when mommy is happy, everyone is happy.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair

bob90245

Post by bob90245 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:21 pm

bungalow10 wrote:People eat out when they could cook at home, take their car to the mechanic when they could fix it themselves, and buy veggies at the store when they could garden. Why is cleaning so different?
People don't eat out out of necessity, it's more like for entertainment. You really believe the average person can fix their own car??? When I lived out in the suburbs as a kid, we did grow tomatoes and cucumbers. The climate and soil was good for that. But if you live in multi-unit housing or poor climate area, you won't be able to grow veggies.

Cleaning is easy when you live alone in a small apartment. I split the cleaning into 3 parts that takes 20 minutes each. 1 weekend I vacuum, next weekend I clean the kitchen, next weekend I clean the bathroom. Repeat.
Ignore the market noise. Keep to your rebalancing schedule whether that is semi-annual, annual or trigger bands.

NAVigator

Post by NAVigator » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:53 pm

"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."

Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:54 am

We moved this year from a monthly clean with a national brand to a weekly clean with someone recommended to us.
We have a 1yr old and a 3 yr old so lots of mess and spills of all kinds of variety. We need weekly cleaning :)
The new cleaning lady is wonderful. Rotates between the bathrooms and bedrooms every other week, but the high traffic family/living/kitchen areas are cleaned every week.
Plus she folds all our clothes (usually 4 loads) and irons my shirts :) :) which the monthly 'national' cleaner wouldnt do. Priceless (well, almost!).

We pay $40 a week and she is here for about 3 hours every sat morning. We also give her young son clothes, toys etc every now and then which she appreciates.
Overall, works out great and forces us to tidy before she arrives.
Buy Low, Sell High

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:47 am

We all need exercise, right? So why go to and pay for a gym, or for cleaning services, when you can have exercise right at home for free? Cleaning is easy. Once you learn over your life time how to clean every spot, it becomes no mental or physical problem. We run around our 2500 sqft home with a vacuum cleaner every 2 weeks, takes 30 minutes each. We clean other things as they need it, we are able to recognize when it is needed. We operate our dish washer and clothes washers and dryers ourselves, so why not clean other things.

Doing the yard work is running around in clean air, enjoying the landscape, doing the garden, looking for landscape and house problems. I love that. Plus I would never trust a landscape worker to mow my lawn or spray my plants. No, we do not hire maid or landscape services, hire only people for furnace service and to seal the driveway. I also do snow blowing myself, a good exercise in winter.

gary11

Post by gary11 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:21 am

0cean23 wrote:Do you clean your home or pay someone to do it?
Both. We have a cleaner come every month and clean the house but in between I vacuum the carpets (almost every week) and dw cleans and does regular chores as necessary.

vectorizer

Post by vectorizer » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:37 pm

We thoroughly clean the house ourselves just before the 2-3 times per year we have a party.

The rest of the year, our standards for cleanliness are ... um ... flexible. :wink:

This is what happens when you spend lots of time on activities, but are also cheap. Something's got to give.

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:53 pm

bob90245 wrote:
bungalow10 wrote:People eat out when they could cook at home, take their car to the mechanic when they could fix it themselves, and buy veggies at the store when they could garden. Why is cleaning so different?
People don't eat out out of necessity, it's more like for entertainment.
and people don't hire a cleaning service out of necessity either, both eating our and having a cleaning person are luxuries. My husband used to do oil changes, tire rotation, and brake repair/replacement on our cars, but now we have a mechanic do that too. Many people on here would tell you they can save a few bucks by doing an oil change themselves, but they don't because their time is worth more than that. That's how I feel about cleaning.

I also like my house cleaner than I can keep it with two small kids. Its impossible to clean on the weekends with the kids around, everything takes twice as long (or longer). The house cleaner comes while we are away and powers through it. Problem solved.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

Manbaerpig

Post by Manbaerpig » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:41 pm

maid: yup
gardener: yup

aainvestor

Post by aainvestor » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:53 pm

Maid, of course. Who else is going to scrub the bathroom floors, tubs et all and the kitchen appliances???
Yard guy, definitly. Someone has to cut the grass & do the weed wacking.

Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:00 pm

Cleaning I hate & have a maid as I said before. Gardening, i would like to do myself if i had the time......just my opinion...
Buy Low, Sell High

marie17

Post by marie17 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:01 pm

I have a maid - she comes every other week. She does an immensely better job than i could ever do and i don't miss that weekend chore one bit. worth every penny.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:16 pm

$80 every two weeks... The best money I've ever spent.

Both my wife and I work, and not having to clean toilets or vaccuum the floors or dust the house on weekends is worth a LOT (Not having my wife mad at me because I don't clean as well as she does is priceless).

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:19 pm

alec wrote:Plus, when mommy is happy, everyone is happy.
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! :)

soaring

Post by soaring » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:49 pm

staustin wrote:As for our household, absolutely not... we clean our own home, we wash our own car, we cut our own grass..
:thumbsup still doing it at 66 and retired
Desiderata

bob90245

Post by bob90245 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:03 pm

staustin wrote:As for our household, absolutely not... we clean our own home, we wash our own car, we cut our own grass..
No grass to cut since the apartment management does that. :D

Where I live, its our civic duty to conserve water. So about every 2 weeks, in under 10 minutes and for $6, the car goes through the automatic car wash. But I do towel it dry myself. :)

Lon

Post by Lon » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:12 pm

Yes -------- A husband & wife team will do a house clean every three weeks $ 90 for about two hours. Gardner comes weekly for $ 100 month. As a retiree this is one of the things that was planned for.

gd

Post by gd » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:28 am

No. 1) too cheap 2) don't want the obstacle of trying to find and constantly judge a cleaning service 3) We are very private. I would find it invasive 4) it would be a burden-- I'd run around picking stuff up before they came-- clutter that needed to be put away to clean properly. 5) Main reason-- life philosophy. I strive to live a basic (for Americans) life. Not simple by any means, but as unlayered as possible. If I need to hire someone to do something, I consider whether there's something wrong. Plumbing, roof replacement, car repair require special skills or equipment. House cleaning? If I can't clean my own nest, it would a sign I need a different house or a different lifestyle. If I can't or don't keep track of my finances, they're too complex. If I pay someone to walk my dog for me (or leave it unattended every and all day!), I shouldn't have one.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:28 am

Wife and I work full time. Wayyyy to busy to spend 4 hrs / week doing house cleaning, which is how long it would take us if we did it ourselves. We don't even get an hour to ourselves given the toddler running around here.

Definitely hired help. I'd feel differently if we were not working anywhere near as much or made a lot less money, but at our stage, time is the big limiter so anything I can outsource for not a huge amount of money gets outsourced. I'd even outsource my financial stuff if it weren't for the high costs of doing so and high risk of being totally lost about important decision making.

specabecca

Post by specabecca » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:49 am

Nanny services, yes. Cleaning services, yes. Lawn jocks, yes.
dgm wrote:To folks who had housekeeping help and also had kids--do you feel that this prevented them from learning how to tidy up after themselves?
Heck no. A cleaning lady doesn't tidy - we do that. In fact, ours practically hyperventilates on the rare occassion my husband doesn't pick up his bathroom before she arrives at the sheer sight of the mess. She's a bit unorthodox, but for a lady who works at light speed for 20$ an hour and polish finishes every surface in our house, we'll put up with far more eccentricity.

But I digress. Our toddler learns to put away his toys through daily activities - it is how we run our house. Cleaning services are provided so that I don't clean the toilets, mop, dust, clean the microwave, etc etc. Daily duties are all shared, such as putting away dinner.

Also, he who spills it- cleans it. Our son gets great satisfaction when he cleans up his own milk/juice spills, or the odd bit of dinner that falls off the table. (He's also in the 'I'LL DO IT MYSELF' stage, so maybe this will wane over time)

bradshaw1965

Post by bradshaw1965 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:54 am

$75, every 2 weeks for an indvidual housekeeper.

My wife and I were having tension about housekeeping responsibilities, hiring a housekeeper alleviated a lot of that tension and has been well worth the cost. I get a bit of buyers remorse occasionally since I'm pretty frugal, but not one bit about the housekeeping arrangements.

I mow the lawn in the summer, but have lately started hiring for Fall leaf removal and gutter cleaning. This has also been well worth the cost.