Do you drink milk?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

Do you drink milk?

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:17 pm

I have always been a milk drinker, usually a glass a day, sometimes two. Now that I'm an adult, it's skim milk only. I get fats from other healthier sources.

Lately I've been drinking a lot more, especially before bed, with some nuts. I find it prevents me from waking up starving like I usually do. It's also a good, slow digesting protein source with lots of BCAA's, which makes it an ideal protein to drink before going to sleep.

I've read things saying that cow's milk is healthy and things saying that cow's milk is unhealthy.

Has anyone been a heavy milk drinker (3+ glasses a day) for many years? If so, have you had any negative health consequences that could be a result of it.

cjackson0

Re: Do you drink milk?

Post by cjackson0 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:20 pm

I always been a heavy milk drinker. Usually 2+ glasses per day (and several glasses of water). We've been on 2% for the last 7 years or so with the kids in the house. I'm in pretty good health although my cholesterol is pretty poor, although I think that is due to my sedentary lifestyle. I'm only 29 so there's plenty of time for my health to change.
Sent from my iphone

stevewolfe

Post by stevewolfe » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:26 pm

Not as much as I used to. When I do, it's 1%. I haven't yet adjusted to skim. I do drink Silk (chocolate) and like it a lot. I've also tried their vanilla almond, but I don't care for the after taste.

Kurmudjon

Post by Kurmudjon » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:43 pm

Yep have been big milk drinker for years and continue to drink 2-3 glasses per day. Been drinking skim mostly last 10 years or so. Blood lipids are fine
“Some of its magic some of its tragic but I had a good life all the way.”

chaz

Post by chaz » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:46 pm

No, except in ice cream.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:07 pm

No, I stopped almost 30 years ago. I do eat cheese, ice cream, yogurt, butter and sometimes sour cream.

ilmartello

Post by ilmartello » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:09 pm

Nothing is wrong with milk.

tnf

Post by tnf » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:20 pm

Love milk and have always drunk 1-2 glasses daily. No issues, do exercise regularly.

As mentioned in some other posts, have also been drinking Silk Almond milk in Vanilla and Chocolate flavors. Absolutely love it. Wife is lactose intolerant and has switched to Silk Almond milk now.

I on the other hand have kept my interest in milk going. Recently have been buying organic raw milk from a local Amish farmer. He has a herd of Jersey cows and the milk is the best tasting I have ever had...sweet, creamy and non homogenized..yum..yum! I do pasteurize it at home so no worries. We also make our own yogurt from this milk and it is delicious.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:23 pm

I use 2% milk on my morning bowl of cereal. Don't drink it by the glass. I occasionally use milk products such as cheese, ice cream, and sour cream. Spouse uses only skim milk. I tell her why not just cut my 2% milk with water, that is what it tastes like to me. :lol:
Best Wishes, SpringMan

camper

Post by camper » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:29 pm

My parents have often said that between my sister and I we drank about a gallon of 2% milk a day. I only drink a glass a day now. My wife does not like milk. Milk is my son's drink of choice.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:41 pm

Many people are lactose intolerant.
If you develop any digestive/GI issues its the first thing to stop.
I drink a glass of water now instead of drinking a glass of milk. Even if I could drink milk I'd rather get the calories from meat, vegetables, and grains.

Based on the other thread (I think it was stoptothink who pointed out the hormone content of soy milk) I recently switched from unsweetened Silk soy milk on my every-other-morning bowl of cereal to Blue Diamond almond milk (less sugar content than Silk almond milk for the same price at my grocery store). Very happy with the switch to almond milk. I like the taste and texture of almond milk better than soy.

leonard

Post by leonard » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:47 pm

Yes. A glass or so in a post workout shake a couple times a week. Skim milk - since a in post workout shake I am really only looking for the protein and the carbs, not the fat.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

momar

Post by momar » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:50 pm

Milk's like eggs. It's got everything a body needs. Why screw it up by using a substitute or going with skim?
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep

leonard

Post by leonard » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:57 pm

momar wrote:Milk's like eggs. It's got everything a body needs. Why screw it up by using a substitute or going with skim?
Why? because for various dietary reasons, people may want to manage the macro nutrients of protein, carbs, and fats.

In the example of a post workout shake, the result you are looking for is a spike in insulin - the carbs provide that - to increase the absorbtion of the other macro nutrients. Ideally, you want to "deposit" more protein in the muscles due to that insulin spike without "depositing" more fat in your fat stores due to that same insulin spike. Thus, SKIM milk gives you the carbs to cause the spike and the protein to rebuild muscle without making extra fat available to store.

Also, various other eating plans - low calorie, low fat, etc. - requires manipulating macronutrients, something skim milk may help you achieve.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

TRC

Post by TRC » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:10 pm

leonard wrote:
momar wrote:Milk's like eggs. It's got everything a body needs. Why screw it up by using a substitute or going with skim?
Why? because for various dietary reasons, people may want to manage the macro nutrients of protein, carbs, and fats.

In the example of a post workout shake, the result you are looking for is a spike in insulin - the carbs provide that - to increase the absorbtion of the other macro nutrients. Ideally, you want to "deposit" more protein in the muscles due to that insulin spike without "depositing" more fat in your fat stores due to that same insulin spike. Thus, SKIM milk gives you the carbs to cause the spike and the protein to rebuild muscle without making extra fat available to store.

Also, various other eating plans - low calorie, low fat, etc. - requires manipulating macronutrients, something skim milk may help you achieve.
I'm a fan of whole milk post workout. You should read this. http://stronglifts.com/milk-post-workou ... cle-gains/

grok87

Post by grok87 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:31 pm

stan1 wrote:Many people are lactose intolerant.
If you develop any digestive/GI issues its the first thing to stop.
I drink a glass of water now instead of drinking a glass of milk. Even if I could drink milk I'd rather get the calories from meat, vegetables, and grains.

Based on the other thread (I think it was stoptothink who pointed out the hormone content of soy milk) I recently switched from unsweetened Silk soy milk on my every-other-morning bowl of cereal to Blue Diamond almond milk (less sugar content than Silk almond milk for the same price at my grocery store). Very happy with the switch to almond milk. I like the taste and texture of almond milk better than soy.
I'm in the same boat. I've tried soy milk, rice milk, almond milk and hemp milk. My favorite so far is hemp milk.
cheers,
RIP Mr. Bogle.

VictoriaF

Goat milk

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:35 pm

I drink goat milk. If a grocery store carries it, I buy it liquid. Otherwise, I keep supplies of powdered Meyenberg Goat Milk, which I order from Amazon.com.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

dave66

Post by dave66 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:46 pm

Be careful if you think you have ulcer issues... Both milk and nuts are a big no no with that. Takes lots of acid to digest both. I found that out the hard way. No more milk.

Helloeeze

Post by Helloeeze » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:48 pm

I have milk on oatmeal but don't drink it anymore, although I've always loved it. Too many calories, and I would like some chewing satisfaction for those calories. A middle-aged woman like myself, I need to eat no more than 1200 to 1500 calories a day (that's with exercise). No fun at all.

yobria

Post by yobria » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:15 pm

I never drink it plain, however it's an ingredient in a lot of foods and beverages I enjoy.

Nick

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:28 pm

I drink milk almost every day - raw, whole, and un-homogenized. Yum!

sschullo

Re: Goat milk

Post by sschullo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:35 pm

VictoriaF wrote:I drink goat milk. If a grocery store carries it, I buy it liquid. Otherwise, I keep supplies of powdered Meyenberg Goat Milk, which I order from Amazon.com.

Victoria
Ditto!
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

lws6772

Post by lws6772 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:42 pm

It really depends on the person. Many people(lucky genetics) eat and drink a lot of things that I would now never consume for health concerns(mine and the animals).

dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:53 pm

Yes. I am in my 60's and till last year drank Whole milk. Now 2% and no issues. I drink 1/3 to 1/2 gallon per day. I am the only one ( I think) who eats his Pizza with cold milk. Enjoy it. If your digestive system tolerates it go for it. :)

snyder66

Post by snyder66 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:54 pm

I would stay away from all of the growth hormones that usually accompany non-organic milk.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:59 pm

I personally don't. Don't want to get into the nutritional debate. No doubt it is muscle food; if I was concerned with gaining muscle mass I would absolutely include it in my dietary plans.

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:01 pm

I have drank milk all my 63 years. First 20 whole. Second 20 2% Third 20 skim. My Dad is 92 and is and has always been big on dairy products. Whole milk, 1/2 and 1/2, butter, cheese, and ice cream every day. It has no ill effect on him. He has always been active and slender.

Lilly

englishgirl

Post by englishgirl » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:39 pm

No.

I never (thought I) had any problems with milk at all. But I couldn't drink coffee except only very occasionally because it made my stomach hurt. I figured the coffee caused me to produce too much stomach acid, and that aggravated an old ulcer. Milk on its own never caused me any problems.

Then I gave up milk. And I switched to using soy or coconut milk in coffee, or having black coffee with sugar if there was no milk alternative available. And lo and behold, no more stomach pain, even if I drink coffee every day (which I do now, gladly). I guess it was the combination of milk and coffee that was too much for me.
Sarah

rayout

Post by rayout » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:58 pm

Fat from milk is healthy. Saturated fat is not bad for you and neither is dietary cholesterol. Sugar and excessive carbohydrate consumption will raise blood pressure and bad cholesterol. Excessive polyunsaturated fat (vegetable, corn, salad oil) is the worst at causing inflammation and heart disease...

But I avoid milk - I am lactose intolerant. I use coconut milk for cooking and I drank it prior to an endurance race for energy and it worked out well. Not sure if its something I'd drink every day though.

InsideTheCult

Post by InsideTheCult » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:59 pm

Milk is terrible for you.
It is totally unnatural to consume.
Brainwashed masses!

Teetlebaum

Post by Teetlebaum » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:06 pm

I stopped drinking milk so long ago I'm not sure I'd recognize the taste.

oh, you meant cow's milk!

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:12 pm

I can't drink milk, but the conditions at mega-dairies would make me concerned if I could digest it. It's not the milk itself as much as what makes it into milk given the conditions at mega-dairies. Hormones, antibiotics, the smell from driving by a mega-dairy, etc.... it's enough to make me go "ewww" and shudder. If I did drink it, I'd be seeking a local dairy farmer who adheres to more traditional practices with the cattle, like how my great granddad raised his beef cattle.

I do use milk substitutes, but primarily just in baking/cooking, or for a cup of hot chocolate at this time of year. After my milk intolerance presented in college, I just got used to not drinking milk or having cold cereal, so I don't really miss it. There wasn't really a prevalence of milk substitutes back then.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:14 pm

My son and I go through about 3-4 gallons of skim milk a week...

I love cold milk... I have 2 big glasses with dinner almost every night.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:16 pm

dbltrbl wrote:I am the only one ( I think) who eats his Pizza with cold milk.
Heh, now THAT I can't do... I drink milk with almost every meal... except Pizza... got to have soda or beer when eating pizza.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:19 pm

I drink a glass of milk every morning.
All the Best, | Joe

Investor_Josh

Post by Investor_Josh » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:07 pm

I drink Almond milk.

tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:10 am

I drink about a pint to a quart of whole milk per day. Mostly on cereal in the mornings and in white russians in the evening. Sometimes the other way around.
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:37 am

I'm 70 and still drink milk with almost every meal. So far no adverse side effects. Moo!

Been drinking skim for years so on those rare occasions when I have a glass of while milk it's almost like having ice ceam to me.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:05 am

rayout wrote:Fat from milk is healthy. Saturated fat is not bad for you and neither is dietary cholesterol. Sugar and excessive carbohydrate consumption will raise blood pressure and bad cholesterol. Excessive polyunsaturated fat (vegetable, corn, salad oil) is the worst at causing inflammation and heart disease...

But I avoid milk - I am lactose intolerant. I use coconut milk for cooking and I drank it prior to an endurance race for energy and it worked out well. Not sure if its something I'd drink every day though.
You have to also keep in mind the effect of dairy proteins on blood glucose levels. Along with the response due to the lactose, casein and whey result in insulin secretion similar to consuming white bread, which is considerably more than most other proteins. Great for post-workout, not so good for overall health. If I did drink milk, it would be the full fat variety; same thing with full fat kefir, cottage cheese, etc...

Harold

Post by Harold » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:30 am

I have a glass of milk every time I win the Indy 500.

Brody

Post by Brody » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:34 am

For me, milk isn't the problem. The problem is the large brownie or something else chocolate that I must consume with it.
I am the poster formerly known as Oneanddone.

SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:43 am

No, the half & half in my morning coffee is the closest I get.

While I drank a lot as a kid, at about the second grade, I started not to like milk.
(only would occasionally drink chocolate milk)

I even eat cereal dry.

Thanks
SP-diceman

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:45 am

I really enjoy a couple glasses of whole milk at night ,coupled with brownies or chocolate chip cookies.
LIfe is short ,,ENJOY :D :D
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:54 am

stoptothink wrote:
rayout wrote:Fat from milk is healthy. Saturated fat is not bad for you and neither is dietary cholesterol. Sugar and excessive carbohydrate consumption will raise blood pressure and bad cholesterol. Excessive polyunsaturated fat (vegetable, corn, salad oil) is the worst at causing inflammation and heart disease...

You have to also keep in mind the effect of dairy proteins on blood glucose levels. Along with the response due to the lactose, casein and whey result in insulin secretion similar to consuming white bread, which is considerably more than most other proteins. Great for post-workout, not so good for overall health. If I did drink milk, it would be the full fat variety; same thing with full fat kefir, cottage cheese, etc...
I agree with Ray's general attitude towards milk, and with yours -- most of the time. But this is the first time I encounter a notion that milk protein raises blood glucose levels similarly to white bread. Do you have any references for this? This is not a "challenge," just a curiosity about a new for me fact.

Thank you,

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

monkey_business

Post by monkey_business » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:10 am

rayout wrote:...Saturated fat is not bad for you and neither is dietary cholesterol...
Any proof of this?

Kulak

Post by Kulak » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:15 am

VictoriaF wrote:But this is the first time I encounter a notion that milk protein raises blood glucose levels similarly to white bread. Do you have any references for this? This is not a "challenge," just a curiosity about a new for me fact.
No he doesn't, because he's (once again) full of crap. Milk is insulinemic but not highly glycemic (source), which makes perfect sense if you consider what it's made of.
Depriving ourselves to boost our 40-year success probability much beyond 80% is a fool’s errand, since all you are doing is increasing the probability of failure for [non-financial] reasons. --wbern

0cean23

Post by 0cean23 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:18 am

I love drinking milk! especially with intake of my meals. I drink Horizon, organic 2% milk daily about 2-3 glasses per day.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:32 am

Kulak wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:But this is the first time I encounter a notion that milk protein raises blood glucose levels similarly to white bread. Do you have any references for this? This is not a "challenge," just a curiosity about a new for me fact.
No he doesn't, because he's (once again) full of crap. Milk is insulinemic but not highly glycemic (source), which makes perfect sense if you consider what it's made of.
http://www.ajcn.org/content/80/5/1246.full.pdf Milk is insulinemic, period as both our linked studies show. Your guess is as good as mine as to why this is. We are not in disagreement, no matter how much you continually try to argue symantics...Dr. Esselsytn.

Kulak

Post by Kulak » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:35 am

stoptothink wrote:And how exactly does it being low glycemic matter?
Like Victoria, I interpreted your post above as claiming that milk raises blood glucose as well as insulin. If that's not what you meant by "You have to also keep in mind the effect of dairy proteins on blood glucose levels," you might want to clarify. (Did you mean that milk drives BG down?)
Depriving ourselves to boost our 40-year success probability much beyond 80% is a fool’s errand, since all you are doing is increasing the probability of failure for [non-financial] reasons. --wbern

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:42 am

Kulak wrote:
stoptothink wrote:And how exactly does it being low glycemic matter?
Like Victoria, I interpreted your post above as claiming that milk raises blood glucose as well as insulin. If that's not what you meant by "You have to also keep in mind the effect of dairy proteins on blood glucose levels," you might want to clarify. (Did you mean that milk drives BG down?)
Question: do you drink milk? Esselstyn forbids any dairy consumption, Ornish permits very little dairy and only if it is skim(although of late his dietary interventions suggest no dairy at all, ie. the diets prescribed to Bill Clinton and Steve Jobs). Just curious, since it is the actual topic.