boglehead t-shirts?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Fallible

Re: boglehead t-shirts?

Post by Fallible »

For the T-shirt (and while we're at it, why not front AND back if it's not too much $), how about "Common Sense Investing" from one of Jack Bogle's best books on the front and a Jack bobblehead on the back?

Speaking of money in producing these things, the T-shirts should be quality, not some flimsy material that will shrink after a first wash and never be worn again, ending up a waste of time and money. Better T-shirts also tend to run large or at least a "Large" on the label really is a Large and not more like a Medium. They also keep their shape better, whereas shirts of lesser quality may lose the elasticity around the waste and the shirts just hang loose.

Unfortunately, I'm not certain what that quality would be. I have "Peanuts" T-shirts purchased 10 or more years ago that have never shrunk and still look good. I even have a Shakespeare T-shirt from Barnes & Noble going back to the '80s that still has not shrunk, though Will's image has faded. Since most labels say 100% cotton, on both the good ones and bad ones, I wonder if it might not be a matter of extra material, or something else in the material that makes the shirts that last. The companies on the labels are also different. Maybe someone here knows how that works or if we could consult a company that we know makes quality shirts.

In any case, being Bogleheads, we want the best (quality) for the least amount of money - it's that simple, but it's not easy. :D

Edit: I don't mean to imply that anybody would deliberately order lesser quality T-shirts to save money. I just mean that it's not easy to know whether what's being ordered is good and lasting quality.
Last edited by Fallible on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
chaz

Post by chaz »

Some good ideas.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

In addition to the excellent suggestions from Fallible about quality, I would also suggest that the neck be reinforced so that it doesn't stretch.
Gordon
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Saphomd wrote:How about a mr. Bogle bobblehead?
Actually, there is a Bogle Bobblehead. It was produced and used as a promotional item for The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing with Jack's permission, but with the proviso that they couldn't be sold commercially. Wiley, our publisher, sent them out to the national media along with a review copy of our first book. I have one sitting on my desk staring back at me as I type.

Jack ordered some for himself and he gives them out to Vanguard employees on special occasions. Jack also personally presented a signed Bobblehead to each volunteer at Bogleheads 5 in Las Vegas (who says it doesn't pay to volunteer?).

We've also raffled off a couple of them for charity here on the forum. One went for $1000, another $750 and another $350.

Bottom Line: They're fairly scarce and valuable.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
norookie

Post by norookie »

:happy
Last edited by norookie on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

norookie wrote::D Falliable:: I wonder if it might not be a matter of extra material, or something else in the material that makes the shirts that last. The companies on the labels are also different. Maybe someone here knows how that works or if we could consult a company that we know makes quality shirts.

Well, theres is cotton, coton, bumwalt, etc, and many grades of Cotton, all are cotton, but many different grades, and weights. Lite cotton, heavy cotton, the BEST being PIMA cotton.

Yes, this must be what makes the difference. Some shirts feel so thin, while others are much heavier material. I have T-shirts doing well after ten years that cost only $10, while some more expensive ones have not lasted as long. I don't know what makes the difference in the elastic (?) neck and waist or why some hold their shape better than others. Interesting how rather complicated this all is.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
woof755

Post by woof755 »

Saphomd wrote:How about a mr. Bogle bobblehead?
I actually have one. Mel auctioned one off on the site a few yrs back. For a donation to the Constitution Center in Philly. They came out with promo materials for the Bogleheads' Guide.

Still in the box, on my desk. Definitely a conversation starter!
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
1210sda

Post by 1210sda »

Mel Lindauer wrote:It's something we may consider as a fund-raiser for the forum. Stay tuned!

OK Mel....Enough Teasing....... :happy

It's been almost five months since you posted this. I've kept "staying tuned", but now I've had it.

You just have to give us an update. If you wait much longer, I'm going to weaken and start spending the money that I saved up for all this wonderful "logo" merchandise.
Chris Theibert

Post by Chris Theibert »

That is a good idea to support the site but I don't think these are only T shirts with log that can support site. There are many other ways to meet the running cost of this forum.
Curlyq

Post by Curlyq »

Last edited by Curlyq on Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robocop

Post by robocop »

I'd be in for one, and could help out to plan/order if needed! I have bought a few t-shirts printed for other groups on American Apparel vintage t-shirts, and the material is extremely comfortable- very soft, and everyone I know who has one loves the feel of them. I do think there is a tradeoff that sometimes has to happen between comfort and durability, as I would guess a much starchier, less comfortable t-shirt would actually last longer.
stratton

Post by stratton »

I have one of those "I'm Vanguarding" t-shirts. Maybe Vanguard might donate some t-shirts.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.
woof755

Post by woof755 »

stratton wrote:I have one of those "I'm Vanguarding" t-shirts. Maybe Vanguard might donate some t-shirts.

Paul
Where did you get it?!!!
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Boglehead mousepads?
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
nvboglehead

Post by nvboglehead »

woof755 wrote:
stratton wrote:I have one of those "I'm Vanguarding" t-shirts. Maybe Vanguard might donate some t-shirts.

Paul
Where did you get it?!!!
The t-shirts were given to us when we visited Vanguard's Malvern campus during the 9th BH reunion.

Dale
Learn from the Bogleheads! Do you want to work for your money or have your money work for you?
woof755

Post by woof755 »

My brother (he, with the dark side), just bought me a T-shirt with the following quote:

Economy: Purchasing the barrel of whiskey that you do not need for the price of the cow that you cannot afford. (from The Devil's Dictionary)
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

I'll take 10
highercall

Post by highercall »

Stay the Course...I'd buy one.
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

I am definitely intereted in getting one or two.

Now what do I like to see on the shirt? Personally I don't like to wear anything with just a person's face on it. How about "John Bogle for President" or something to the effect of "...for the small people"? Not that he'll ever run but it' definitely get people's attention and perhaps start asking questions. Who says an ad has to be related to the product itself. Like Geico ads never have anything to do with Geico - so long as it delivers the name.

Regards,
Faith
TheImp1

Post by TheImp1 »

Count me in for a t-shirt or hat.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

I think a hat, a T-shirt, or a money-clip would be great.

No picture, definitely no bobblehead.

How about;
Bogleheads.org

Investing Advice
Inspired by Jack Bogle
Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

robocop wrote:I'd be in for one, and could help out to plan/order if needed! I have bought a few t-shirts printed for other groups on American Apparel vintage t-shirts, and the material is extremely comfortable- very soft, and everyone I know who has one loves the feel of them.
How much did they cost?
robocop

Post by robocop »

Alex Frakt wrote:
robocop wrote:I'd be in for one, and could help out to plan/order if needed! I have bought a few t-shirts printed for other groups on American Apparel vintage t-shirts, and the material is extremely comfortable- very soft, and everyone I know who has one loves the feel of them.
How much did they cost?
I think they ran about $10-12 at cost, and sold for $15-20. I'll have to ask to make sure that is correct.
westcoast

Post by westcoast »

I would buy a t-shirt
sport

Post by sport »

Here is a company that will make any kind of T-shirt you want. They make other promotional items as well.

http://www.daffydan.com/

Diclaimer: I have no connection with this company other than being aware of their existence. They have been in business a long time in Cleveland and are well known locally.

Jeff
usorry

Post by usorry »

wouldn't a boglehead tshirt be completely plain to reduce the fees to create it?
CABob

Post by CABob »

usorry wrote:wouldn't a boglehead tshirt be completely plain to reduce the fees to create it?
If that were the goal perhaps the frugal should go bare chested. :annoyed
Bob
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I've used CafePress. They try to suck you into setting up a storefront that costs money, but you can, in fact, set up one that costs nothing at all--the restriction is that you can only have one design per kind of item. It's fairly easy to do, and fairly effortless. The big advantage is that you don't need to pay money upfront or guess how many you need to have made. You don't have the issue of having to front a few hundred dollars to get stocked initially, or never having the right sizes.

It also tends to make just about zero money unless there are special circumstances. You can decide how much markup to put on every item, but the base price is high enough to discourage sales. A lot of people who say they want a T-shirt won't actually pay $17.99 plus shipping for one. That sort of goes when your actually onsite at an event or a resort, but for an Internet purchase.

Wikipedia tried CafePress early on and gave up after they'd raised something in the low two digits of dollars. Whoever set up the Wikipedia CafePress site just selected a preconfigured bundle of products rather than choosing product by product, and ended up offering a suite of merchandise including a Wikipedia-logo thong.

In my very limited experience, involving a T-shirt and a mug, the quality of the CafePress merchandise was OK. Not worth the money exactly but not shoddy.

If you forget fundraising and just look at as community-building, I think it is viable. Once it's set up, it may not earn anything but it's zero workload.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Cloisonné lapel/tie pin?

A tasteful generic one for the forum and appropriate for business wear. Hopefully it would stimulate a conversation among someone interested.

Maybe an avatar-specific one for the annual conventions.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Old thread read from new thread today, which got me googling, so I thought I would add here:

Vanguard Chandlery, see: https://crewconnect.vanguard.com/totalr ... thing.html

Doesn't look like they are set up for non-employee purchase.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

I am ready to buy one for sure!
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

I think a clipper ship with a John Bogle figurehead (I wouldn't dare call it a maidenhead) would be great. :D
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

It's when we start getting t-shirts of our own that we know we've become a, erm, collective.
Ignis

Post by Ignis »

I'd definitely like a t-shirt. My preference would be for just plain grey or navy blue with the forum logo on it center chest, about 4-5" square. The logo is obscure enough that it would evoke questions. Maybe Bogleheads.org high/centered on the back.

Quick mockup:

Never mind, apparently I can't post the picture since "It is not possible to determine the dimensions of the image." Here is a link: http://imgur.com/sacTm0v