music gift for Jimi Hendrix fan

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
neverknow

music gift for Jimi Hendrix fan

Post by neverknow »

This forum has a really diverse audience. So if you can help me out? My little brother is a die hard, Jimi Hendrix fan - and a guitar player himself of 40 years (Fender). While undoubtedly, Jimi Hendrix was brilliant -- his music was not / is not my favorite. I'm at a loss. Maybe some one can help me out. What would be a good gift for my brother? The only other clue I have is I found him some PC recording studio software a few years ago. He loves it. I don't really understand it -- something about laying down tracks for various instruments and making his own songs (he had me participate in this once, years ago). Is there some kind of electronic / computer music gizmo that might strike my brothers fancy? A DVD of some concert? We don't give expensive gifts in our family, and preferably the gift is something to do (active, rather then passive). I play guitar myself, and once proudly bragged about practicing "finger gymnastics" to which my brother replied "yah, but can you play them backwards?"

Anyone have any ideas?
neverknow
empb

Re: music gift for Jimi Hendrix fan

Post by empb »

Your brother probably has at least one spectacularly talented guitarist in his city. Why not buy him a lesson or two? Even if he's an excellent player in his own right, there's something to be learned from everyone. New styles, phrasing, poly-rhythmic stuff, soloing ideas etc.
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

I like Hendrix.

However there is only a limited amount of material of him out there and if your brother is a fan he probably has it already.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
leonard

Post by leonard »

If you brother lives in or close to the pacific NW, how about a "hendrix tour" of seattle. The Experience Music Project, house he grew up in, gravesite, other?? Anyway, just a thought.

another thought: What about a Hendrix influencers music collection? I don't know who Hendrix claimed as prime influencers, but maybe there are some artist that influenced Hendrix that your brother doesn't own.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
Topic Author
neverknow

Post by neverknow »

Thank you for your replies.
empb - that is a brilliant idea! Not only would it offer my brother some variety, but at least for a little bit he'd get to play with someone.
HardKnocker - I agree. After all these years of Jimi Hendrix focus, even re issues (Winterland) are the same ole stuff.
leonard - too far away from Seattle. Years ago I got my brother some "Deep Purple" of which my brother told me Richie Blackmore was very good. I haven't got lucky with this since.

The great thing about asking for suggestions is it made me go look harder. Acoustica Mixcraft 5 looks to be a different version of recording studio I last got him, he liked so much. It's free trial download appears to be eating my computers memory, though. And I found him a decent looking "Fender" tee shirt. So I guess I now decide how much to spend (bigger, smaller).

Both brothers are getting soap dishes I made for them in pottery class. The hazard of having a sister, I guess.

Thank you for your suggestions.
neverknow
dave66

Post by dave66 »

The Octavia pedal. Originally designed by his tech, Roger Mayer.

http://www.amazon.com/Roger-Mayer-Octav ... B003KVPAWY

The Vox V846 Wah Wah. Also used by him.

http://www.voxamps.com/us/pedals/wahwah_v846/

The Dunlop Fuzz Face. Classic Hendrix fuzz sound.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ ... face-pedal
compounder

Post by compounder »

A few options you may want to consider:

There are many posters/prints of Hendrix. You could search on art.com or similar sites and perhaps frame the print yourself. Or gift certificate?

Search Hendrix dvds on Amazon or something similar. There are several legendary concerts that are on dvd. Also, there are instructional dvds on how to play his music.

A search for Hendrix on eBay may also show some unique items.
trico

Post by trico »

My flyfishing guide in Montana ties a dry fly called purple haze, named after Jimi Hendrix. It has a purple color and somethime works better thay any other fly. I have heard that its kind of going around now in the fishing community, as one hot dry fly. I used it, and caught some nice fish. Maybe you can buy him some, so he can be outdoors and get some exercise.
lmpmd

Post by lmpmd »

If you're a guitar fan you have to own all the crossroads musical festival dvds/blurays that clapton is involved with. It's a must!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_ ... 4f1143acea
Last edited by lmpmd on Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
neverknow

Post by neverknow »

dave66 - sheesh, those peddles are pricey! I am sure my brother has had one, at one time or another. I'd be hard pressed to know what he has now. Mostly he plays unplugged (his Fender electric guitar), as he lives in an apartment.
componder -- Yes, those legendary concerts on DVD, I think are great. I got him Hendrix at Monterey, last Christmas. Not much feedback. I probably liked the idea better then my brother liked the gift. Oh well. It is how gifts go, after all.
trico - a dry fly is not what first comes to my mind when some one says "purple haze", but I believe you. Also -- The Madison River in Montana has to be one of the prettiest places in the universe. Have you ever been to Ennis? I found the place by accident. That is a beautiful part of this world.
lmpmd -- whoa! Those Crossroads festivals look real promising! I'll have to give them a more in depth look. Great combinations of greats!

You Bogleheads are the best -- and my aren't we a diverse lot!

neverknow
tarnation

Post by tarnation »

THis is new stuff he may not have. Also, check out the story..
http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2010 ... es-release
retcaveman

Post by retcaveman »

There is a doucmentary of Hendrix I have seen on TV. Interviews with ex girlfriends, description of his travels in Europe, etc. A Google search turned up several eg. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070242/

Good luck.
"The wants of mortals are containers that can never be filled." (Socrates)
Topic Author
neverknow

Post by neverknow »

tarnation - that npr story had a link to Amazon, and a box set I was unaware of. Interesting idea.
retcaveman -- seems kind of dumb on my part, but it hadn't yet occurred to me to google Hendrix. Better late then never.

neverknow
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

Check this out if playing guitar is an option.

Rocksmith

It come in a PC format too.

http://www.amazon.com/Rocksmith-Xbox-36 ... 312&sr=8-1
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
Topic Author
neverknow

Post by neverknow »

Absolutely HardKnocker! -- exactly the kind of gizmo I was wondering about. Amazon says the PC version gets release Dec 13th. The Mixcraft product I found, wasn't new -- it was just an alternate version to a product I gave my brother a few years ago -- so doesn't have novelty value. This Rocksmith thing would be new to my brother, and a bit of all the fashion right now -- which my brother would like, a lot. Both ideas, about the same price.

I think we have a winner here folks. Thank you HardKnocker.
neverknow
SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman »

neverknow wrote:dave66 - sheesh, those peddles are pricey!
Yes they are, I not only play guitar, because of my background in electronics I built most of my own effects.

The irony is they are probably pricy because of Hendrix.
Most of the 60’s technology was actually junk compared to what’s out today.

You may want to consider some “support” items, strings, guitar polish, cables, picks, “generic” music books.
(it would help if you new what gauge strings he used)

Check if the store will allow you to exchange them if you get the wrong thing.

Other ideas:

Music store gift certificate. (he’ll understand you don’t know the ins and outs of music)

Players related to Hendrix:
(most Hendrix fans will typically like Stevie Ray Vaughan stuff)

Check out if other band mates (from The Experience or Band of Gypsy’s) have written books.

A book on the history of Fender or The Stratocaster.
A Book on 60’s rock in general.

Thanks
SP-diceman
Topic Author
neverknow

Post by neverknow »

SP-diceman ... I have a stash of songwriting books, I do recycle my brothers way.
I've never asked my brother, but to my ear it sounds like he is mixing Hendrix and Rap in his songwriting.

From the time we were little, I have always been my little brothers biggest music fan. To this day, he may call me up on the telephone and tell me "listen to this" -- and I get an unplugged version of whatever he is fiddling with. I always respond with - "wow, that sounds great" ... even when it doesn't. In all things guitar, I give him the credit. In all other things -- he's my baby brother, and gets told so regularly.

Everyone should be as lucky as we are. It is one of those rare sibling things.
Except - I play an acoustic Gibson, and country to folk /rock, some bluegrass is my genre.
neverknow
lmpmd

Post by lmpmd »

While on the topic - in today's news:
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... e-1.981914
Topic Author
neverknow

Post by neverknow »

lmpmd wrote:While on the topic - in today's news:
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... e-1.981914
Rolling Stone names Jimi Hendrix "Greatest Guitarist of all Time" --- It is that greatness, that allows me to listen to him. Undoubtedly, the guy was brilliant. Still not my kind of music, for playing or listening too. But yes -- great guitarist.

Baby brothers don't stay babies, and even little brothers are not wrong all the time :D :D :D Yes, little brother - you are right on this one.
neverknow
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx