Cheapest practice you've "heard" of......

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
norookie

Cheapest practice you've "heard" of......

Post by norookie » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:07 pm

:peace
Last edited by norookie on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c

Bruin

Re: Cheapest practice you've "heard" of......

Post by Bruin » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:48 pm

Our owner is quite cheap, and for some reason had a thing against post-it notes. So we were not allowed to buy post-it notes, instead had to substitute them by using block pads of paper and attach tape to them. Other options were buying your own, or using the post-it pads that are given away with company logo's on them if you could get them.

Some of these things never make sense to me, quite simply because the three seconds of labor costs involved in attaching a piece of tape to the paper to substitute for a post-it note cost more than the post it note itself.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:15 pm

Calendars.

My wife's boss's mother worked for the business, and was selectively thrifty. Buy new calendars? Certainly not. She kept a collection of old calendars. For, say, December 2012, she would just go rummaging through the old calendars until she found, say, August 1991. August 1, 2012 falls on a Thursday, December 1, 2012 falls on a Thursday. Put it up, cross out "August 1991" and write in "December 2012..." good to go. Drove everyone else in the office bananas.
Last edited by nisiprius on Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

evancox10

Post by evancox10 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:51 pm

My grandparents, also children of the depression, would dry out and reuse paper towels. Probably sandwich bags too!

norookie

Post by norookie » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:01 pm

Last edited by norookie on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ebotrd

Post by ebotrd » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:06 pm

Consumer advocacy guru Clark Howard suggests drying off your razors with a towel or alcohol allowing one to reuse one disposable razor over & over for an entire year.

My wife & I switch off the breaker for our water heater except for about 1 hour per day in the evening before we all shower.

When my wife's out of town I won't turn on the AC -- in the summer in south Florida.
When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor. -- E. Musk.

peter71

Post by peter71 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:37 pm

I saw a TV show about someone who halved and respooled two-ply toilet paper.

Re rubber bands, I've never lived in a house where they weren't all stored on doorknobs. The thinking there isn't so much money saving but reduced time spent storing them, finding them and re-storing them in the centralized rubber band storage area.

I have to admit I'm also a little intrigued by the Clark Howard razor thing on space saving grounds. Right now, my wife and I each store 10 packs of fairly cheap razors right in the shower caddy (taking up a lot of space and making throwing out each used one kind of a pain) but there's also towels right there so if we could just buy one fancy one and quickly wipe it off after use . . . I'm guessing it'd work better for those who store stuff in a drier place though.

I also loved the calendar thing!

Best,
Pete

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:06 pm

My husband insists we buy that pricey Orville Reddenbacher's popcorn. Instead I buy those giant bags of popping corn for $1. I buy the ones with kernels the same hue of orange as the kernels in Orville's uber-pricey popcorn. At night when he's sleeping I use a funnel to pour the cheap-o corn into an empty Orville bottle. The first time I did this my husband knew immediately that there'd been a switcheroo. He was apoplectic. If he realizes that I still do this he stopped complaining years ago.

I wear an old-fashioned wind-up watch instead of one of those pricey Timex's which require a new $7 battery every year.

I save on pricey tissue by keeping stacks of cotton handkerchiefs around the house.

I see nothing wrong with washing plastic sandwich bags.

centrifuge41

Post by centrifuge41 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:32 pm

Mrs.Feeley wrote:My husband insists we buy that pricey Orville Reddenbacher's popcorn. Instead I buy those giant bags of popping corn for $1. I buy the ones with kernels the same hue of orange as the kernels in Orville's uber-pricey popcorn. At night when he's sleeping I use a funnel to pour the cheap-o corn into an empty Orville bottle. The first time I did this my husband knew immediately that there'd been a switcheroo. He was apoplectic. If he realizes that I still do this he stopped complaining years ago.

I wear an old-fashioned wind-up watch instead of one of those pricey Timex's which require a new $7 battery every year.

I save on pricey tissue by keeping stacks of cotton handkerchiefs around the house.

Funny post. I like it! :D Popcorn: I say that if your husband can tell the quality difference, and the cost is reasonable, might as well as enjoy the quality popcorn (unless the quantity consumed is astronomical).
Watch: do batteries really die yearly? I think I've had my $20-that-looks-like-a-$50 watch for at least 5 years, and the battery is still good. Dollar tree sells (a few kinds of) button batteries for about 10 for a buck. Quality YMMV.

Cotton handkerchiefs? That reminds me. I barely use paper towels. I have a cloth towel for kitchen cleaning purposes. Sandwich bags? I have my lunch in a pyrex, which works great.

Let's see. What are cheap things I do?
I can tolerate no AC up to about the mid 80s in the summer. I have an industrial box fan. I can tolerate no heating down to about 62 in the winter. I bundle up (and I might shiver a bit).
I have a prepaid cell phone. Given how little I use minutes, I can pay 2.50 a month to keep the credits/line alive. I do most of my calling on Google Voice for free.
I don't get TV service. I have a bunny antenna that gets me over the air channels (some in HD too!). I negotiated broadband internet down to $20/month (for the first 12 months).
I've got some older clothes and shoes that are still semi-decent. I keep wearing them.
Nothing else too crazy I can think of. I'm into various sorts of finance games (say buying BP gift cards at a 10% discount using a Chase Freedom at Kohl's), but I think these are more clever than cheap.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:35 pm

ebotrd wrote:My wife & I switch off the breaker for our water heater except for about 1 hour per day in the evening before we all shower.

When my wife's out of town I won't turn on the AC -- in the summer in south Florida.
The last 3 months before I got roommates, which was this past May-July in Houston, I had my electricity turned off completely(which I am pretty sure isn't legal). Was going through a very odd stage of my life and just wanted to see if I could do it. All my showers were at the gym and I utilized my office refrigerator a bit more than my fellow co-workers, but it wasn't really difficult at all. I work and go to school full-time so I am never home as it is. If it wasn't for my lease, I more than likely would have lived out of the back of my truck. I also sold or gave away almost all of my possessions, to the point where everything I owned fit in 2 plastic tubs. Was quite a shock for my girlfriend at first, but she was a trooper and somehow put up with me.

I am almost ashamed to read this thread as everything likely to be listed, I have probably done(and may be currently doing).

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:44 am

centrifuge41 wrote:
Mrs.Feeley wrote:My husband insists we buy that pricey Orville Reddenbacher's popcorn. Instead I buy those giant bags of popping corn for $1. I buy the ones with kernels the same hue of orange as the kernels in Orville's uber-pricey popcorn. At night when he's sleeping I use a funnel to pour the cheap-o corn into an empty Orville bottle. The first time I did this my husband knew immediately that there'd been a switcheroo. He was apoplectic. If he realizes that I still do this he stopped complaining years ago.

Funny post. I like it! :D Popcorn: I say that if your husband can tell the quality difference, and the cost is reasonable, might as well as enjoy the quality popcorn (unless the quantity consumed is astronomical).
Watch: do batteries really die yearly? I think I've had my $20-that-looks-like-a-$50 watch for at least 5 years, and the battery is still good. Dollar tree sells (a few kinds of) button batteries for about 10 for a buck. Quality YMMV.
Your watch batteries last longer than a year?! Hmm. I'm going to have to look into this. I've always been too cheap to buy one of those devices that screw off the back of my watch, and my attempts to pry it off with a screwdriver have failed.

We were going through 2-3 bottles of Orville's a month, and at $7-$8 per bottle I had to put an end to the madness. My husband said it was all because I refused to buy him potato chips but really.

I've read on some budgeting blogs that many women refuse to allow their husbands to buy pricey craft beer and insist that they buy like Pabst. I think that's cruel. I want to preserve my marraige. Maybe it's because my husband gets his craft beer that he puts up with the faux Orville in the Orville's bottles.

I've also watered down his morning orange juice for years, but only once has he ever said "Can we start buying better orange juice?"

One day I hope he will thank me for all this, but probably not. :D

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:04 am

By the way, I've never bought into the whole paper towel thing. Maybe if I knew they could be laundered I would have felt differently, but for decades they seemed to me like so much bourgeois excess. Finally around age 50-something I thought 'What the heck, maybe we can afford a roll like once a year.' But still they seem to me like a financial and environmental road to ruin and they make me very nervous.

Germonico

Post by Germonico » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:22 am

I save toilet paper rolls throughout the year and use them in late winter/early spring to start plant seedlings. Stack them on end in a container (I use an old dishpan), fill each roll with potting soil, and plant one or two seeds of your favorite vegetable in each roll. When moving to the garden or patio container, plant the entire TP roll as it will break down quickly, leaving the roots undisturbed.

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:50 am

I find Nisi's story about reusing old calandars and Mrs Feeley's counterfit popcorn just priceless. Thanks!

The only thing I do cheap is keep driving my 13 year old car. I've repainted it twice.
JW
Retired at Last

neverknow

Post by neverknow » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:53 am

The title of this thread reflects present day views on spending (cheapest). I am a child of depression era parents and grew up with "waste not, want not" or Ben Franklins "a penny saved, is a penny earned". It might be more instructive practices I've given up. I've given up saving and re using aluminum foil, and wrapping paper (from presents). I've given up rinsing out bottles of ketchup or spaghetti sauce to glean the last drop (but remain feeling guilty about this - oh my! think of the starving children!). I not only brown bagged my sack lunch to work, but I saved and re used my brown bag. I have given up mending the holes in my socks -- and cherish my hole free socks as the highest possible joy in material store bought goods (mended socks have a lump in them, a source of potential blisters). I remain mending some articles of clothing - in particular ... hems. Last year I purchased my first ever drinking glasses (I have a whole set of peanut butter jars for drinking glasses, that are about 30 years old). Money doesn't buy you happiness - it is a tool that pays for the things you need (and want --- I can have anything I want, just not everything I want).
neverknow

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:58 am

Ms G would be banished to the snake pit if she threw a bike tire inter tube away. I can't tell you how many times I have made rubber washers, orings, isolating pads with my handy dandy tire tubes.

AVV

Post by AVV » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:00 am

I have a couple hundred business cards that were left over when I changed jobs. Instead of throwing them away, I use them as grocery lists, they're perfect!
We also store newspapers and egg cartons and turn them into organic waste containers.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:24 am

I think being frugal is great as long as you are frugal in EVERY aspect of one's life. The same folks who have these ultra cheap ways of living will give up all their savings on wasting money somewhere else. I gaurantee that all these folks who are counting pennies do not have their investments in the lowest cost funds, living in a house much larger then they needed, or bought a car before their other died. These all cost them MUCH more then the few hundred dollars a year being ultra cheap.

My advice is try your best in not wasting money, but keep your eye on the bigger picture of costs (House, education for kids, investments costs, buying cars/ boats, etc...)

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:53 am

staythecourse wrote:I think being frugal is great as long as you are frugal in EVERY aspect of one's life.
:)

… reminds me of the person who eats a huge meal and has a diet soda with it.

Thanks
SP-diceman

norookie

Post by norookie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:56 am

Last edited by norookie on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:04 am

stoptothink wrote:
ebotrd wrote:My wife & I switch off the breaker for our water heater except for about 1 hour per day in the evening before we all shower.

The last 3 months before I got roommates, which was this past May-July in Houston I had my electricity turned off completely which I am pretty sure isn't legal). Was going through a very odd stage of my life and just wanted to see if I could do it. All my showers were at the gym and I utilized my office refrigerator a bit more than my fellow co-workers, but it wasn't really difficult at all. I work and go to school full-time so I am never home as it is. If it wasn't for my lease, I more than likely would have lived out of the back of my truck. I also sold or gave away almost all of my possessions, to the point where everything I owned fit in 2 plastic tubs. Was quite a shock for my girlfriend at first, but she was a trooper and somehow put up with me.

I am almost ashamed to read this thread as everything likely to be listed, I have probably done(and may be currently doing).
I think we have a winner!

Lollytiger

Post by Lollytiger » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:46 am

Dropping a jar of peanut butter, then attempting to strain the glass shards out of the peanut butter instead of throwing it away... (this one is an early-retirement classic, but I can't find the original post...)

Cody

13 green beans

Post by Cody » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:20 pm

My gardener friend (87 yo) delivered green beans daily at harvest time to my mother.

One day she said "here are your mom's 13 green beans".

So I said "why 13"? She said "13 is just right, she won't eat less and doesn't need more".

So I counted them - yep!

cody

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:36 pm

Thank you for the entertaining and helpful thread.

I think frugality is something I do in moderation. I know I could improve, probably drastically so. For example, we didn't buy formula or disposable diapers for our kids, and they often wear used clothing, but I always buy them good quality shoes (just one pair each at a time) and they wear hand-knit (by me) wool sweaters - which I think is practical given we live in Wisconsin. We also don't drink soda or bottled water, but in turn we do drink organic milk and modestly priced wine, as well as the occasional craft beer (Pabst is actually very good now, try it out if you are on a budget).

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm always looking for value. For me to pay extra for something, it needs to bring me a little happiness or comfort. :sharebeer
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:11 pm

Some of you folks are really cheap.

Even cheaper than me. And I'm pretty cheap. :wink:
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett

centrifuge41

Post by centrifuge41 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:21 pm

stoptothink wrote:The last 3 months before I got roommates, which was this past May-July in Houston, I had my electricity turned off completely(which I am pretty sure isn't legal).
Wow! That's pretty crazy. I think the marginal savings might be small, and the marginal hassle, great. (looks at utility bills). My last power bill was $23 and my last gas bill was $16, and I have a roommate. That's less than $20 a person for energy for the apartment. I'm pretty sure that having a roommate saves me tons more than turning off the lights :idea:

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:49 pm

centrifuge41 wrote:
stoptothink wrote:The last 3 months before I got roommates, which was this past May-July in Houston, I had my electricity turned off completely(which I am pretty sure isn't legal).
Wow! That's pretty crazy. I think the marginal savings might be small, and the marginal hassle, great. (looks at utility bills). My last power bill was $23 and my last gas bill was $16, and I have a roommate. That's less than $20 a person for energy for the apartment. I'm pretty sure that having a roommate saves me tons more than turning off the lights :idea:
It actually had nothing to do with money, well not directly. I was going through a major personal issue, was searching for some purpose in my life, and it was how I coped. I very nearly quit my job and dropped out of my PhD program to enlist, had to have my GF talk me out of pulling an "Into the Wild" on a few occasions. Giving away all my possessions and essentially camping in my apartment was actually the least crazy alternative.

It really helped me redefine what I need in life. Literally. I am very glad to have roommates, and power, again.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:07 am

My folks were immigrants and frugal, beyond belief, despite having a good doctor's income from dad.

They were great at savings, but like a lot of over-frugal folks, couldn't see the forest from the trees. Had family battles over penny pinching on this vs that, constant berating of the kids (us) about how much we cost, and then they go out and get swindled in the 80s real estate boom by a limited real estate partnership that they had no idea what was about, and lost 6-figures in single shot. That made them gunshy, and then they've owned almost no equities, limiting themselves to almost all CDs.

Despite my critique of them, their savings strategy paid off - even without the greater yields of stocks, they're doing fine. I have however, learned to ALWAYS see the forest before the trees. When I do my monthly budget every year, it really puts things into perspective when I see how much my mortgage and childcare completely dominate our family expenditures. Even things that 'feel' expensive like going out to eat, are no more than a rounding error (if even that) compared to those two costs. We could eat out every day, at places 3x more expensive than we do now, and it wouldn't even make a significant dent compared to those two expenses.

I still try not to waste material goods for the environment's sake, but saving a penny for consumer goods is my last priority now. I save far more than that every month with the 2nd home refinance I just did in a 1 year period.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:33 am

peter71 wrote:I saw a TV show about someone who halved and respooled two-ply toilet paper.

Re rubber bands, I've never lived in a house where they weren't all stored on doorknobs. The thinking there isn't so much money saving but reduced time spent storing them, finding them and re-storing them in the centralized rubber band storage area.

I have to admit I'm also a little intrigued by the Clark Howard razor thing on space saving grounds. Right now, my wife and I each store 10 packs of fairly cheap razors right in the shower caddy (taking up a lot of space and making throwing out each used one kind of a pain) but there's also towels right there so if we could just buy one fancy one and quickly wipe it off after use . . . I'm guessing it'd work better for those who store stuff in a drier place though.

I also loved the calendar thing!

Best,
Pete
there are two more ways to preserve the lifespan of your cheap razor.

1. blow dry it as soon as you are done using it. I do this. My razors last a couple few months, shaving every other day.

2. blow dry it, then store the razor with the head submerged in oil - mineral oil, for example. Clark Howard had a caller describe this. I don't do this.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:32 am

I've played with the razor thing quite a bit, including the mineral oil thing. Here is what I have concluded: I bot some blue "GOOD NEWS" razors on Ebay in bulk for 43 cents each. Despite extended use attempts etc, the peak of the yield curve as to clean shave/comfort/cost is about 1 month. I towel dab them dry every day and replace them on every first of the month. "Good News" was one of the first disposable double blade razors and seems to work just as well as the MACH143 or whatever Mach I had for a while. Costs about $5/year for razors with a clean, comfortable shave. I just can't see worrying about getting the cost lower as a gallon of gas costs almost that much.

p14175

Post by p14175 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:00 am

A neighbor (who passed away several years ago) washed all his family's clothes by hand in tubs in the back yard.
Every plant in his yard produced an edible fruit or nut so his family always had food.

bru

Post by bru » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:32 am

SP-diceman wrote:… reminds me of the person who eats a huge meal and has a diet soda with it.

SP-diceman
I don't understand why do people have a problem with this practice? For me regular sodas are a waste of calories (having two or three glasses would be 500 or so calories) but I still occasionally like something beside water or iced tea with my meal. I've drank diet sodas for years, many with big meals. Besides liking how they taste, it means I can have a bit more food and I'm all for that :lol: .

C4NT

Post by C4NT » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:49 am

SP-diceman wrote:
staythecourse wrote:I think being frugal is great as long as you are frugal in EVERY aspect of one's life.
:)

… reminds me of the person who eats a huge meal and has a diet soda with it.

Thanks
SP-diceman
I don't agree with the first statement, nor the analogy. I try to be frugal, as a means to an end. Why do you have to be frugal in EVERY aspect of your life? If you like expensive cars (I personally don't), I think it is good to be frugal with some aspects of life so that you can enjoy others. For some it is a car, others early retirement. I personally want to retire comfortably, not necessarily early. I don't really have a need for a fancy car. So I drive a used car. But we recently bought a nice house. It is a house that are young family will grow into ~2000 sq ft. Could we live in a 1300 sq ft house, sure. But I will be frugal on MOST everything else so that we can live where we want to, retire, and pay for the kids college.

The analogy falls apart for me too. It makes perfect sense to drink a diet soda, rather than consume the empty calories that come with a regular soda so that you can enjoy a meal with a few more calories (once in a while). Diet Coke tastes very similar to Coke. Nothing tastes the same as a bacon cheeseburger.

Stuart01

Post by Stuart01 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:23 am

I've been doing a variation of the drying off a razor thing, but have been sticking the razor in a glass or small bowl of water. Apparently the water keeps the oxygen level down and thus slows oxidation, i.e., rust. Works for me and extends the life of the razor many time over. :D

lws6772

Post by lws6772 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 pm

Haven't really "heard" of many, but I've "seen" a bunch. When I was a kid, there was a lady on my street that grew up in the Great Depression and she didn't waste anything. I was out fishing with her once, she catches this catfish, cuts its stomach open, to see what it had been eating and finds a 1/2 bar of soap in it. She takes the soap home and uses it, I kid you not! I also remember when she was out and about, there was not a critter that was safe, possum, armadillo, turtle, you name it. She was also a very good forager. :D
Last edited by lws6772 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jethro2007

Post by Jethro2007 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:30 pm

Hey Y'all,

What a bunch of cheapskates!!! Yesh!!!

I was toying with the fact that Diet Juice is only 50% juice and the other is water, filtered water...

So, I thought why not just buy the 100% juice, instead of the diet juice and water it down myself...

It would end up being 50% juice and I am not paying for their water, filtered water...

I haven't started this practice, yet, but I have been considering it...Any thoughts???

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:15 pm

I recently cut open a tube of lotion so I could get the last spoonful out of it. I have not done this yet with the toothpaste tube but maybe that will be next... :D

centrifuge41

Post by centrifuge41 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:36 pm

Jethro2007 wrote:I was toying with the fact that Diet Juice is only 50% juice and the other is water, filtered water...

So, I thought why not just buy the 100% juice, instead of the diet juice and water it down myself...

It would end up being 50% juice and I am not paying for their water, filtered water...
In the case of Tropicana Trop50, they dilute it to 50% with water, but they bring up the sweetness again with Stevia. If you dilute your own juice, would you then bring up the sweetness again using an artificial sweetener? If so, maybe you can knock off Trop 50 et al :)

immike1234

Post by immike1234 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:15 am

staythecourse wrote:I think being frugal is great as long as you are frugal in EVERY aspect of one's life. The same folks who have these ultra cheap ways of living will give up all their savings on wasting money somewhere else.
Being frugal in every aspect of one's life isn't being frugal, it's being cheap. There's a big difference between the two, and I personally do not believe that the latter gives the better result. In fact, I feel that being cheap makes one's quality of life worse. People should be able to spend more money on the things that they have a passion for, while cutting the cost for things they don't really care much for. This makes you feel more content and happy with how you live.

I agree with your point that saving for the big costs is very important, but I think that the little things can also be important because it helps you to stick to your principle and can also be fun to do.