Replacing Shower Handles (Advice Needed)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
SVariance1

Replacing Shower Handles (Advice Needed)

Post by SVariance1 »

I am hoping to be able to replace existing lever shower handles. The only problem is that I can't get the old ones off :) I removed the set screw but the handle will not budge. Not sure why. I have the same handles on a sink and in this case, as soon as I remove the set screw, the handle pops right off. When examining the shower handles and sink handles closely, it appears that on the shower handle assembly, there is an extra metal component that the lever attaches to. I have attached a photo of the shower handle. Any suggestions?
Mike
CaliJim

Re: Replacing Shower Handles (Advice Needed)

Post by CaliJim »

picture is blurry. but I can tell you this:

I recently rebuilt my grohe shower thermostatic valve.

I ended up using thermal expansion and contraction, vinegar, vibration, and vigor, to get it loose.

First, I googled the faucet on the internet and downloaded parts diagrams so I could validate how the bits fit together and confirm that I wasn't just tugging on something that was screwed or bolted in place

Then

I poured hot vinegar on it.

I tapped on it lightly with a tool to vibrate/agitate.

I chilled it with ice water.

I heated it up a again with hot vinegar.

I continued to tap.

I said a curse.

I prayed.

I pulled and tugged and eventually got the thing off.

Finally I soaked and scrubbed the bits in hot vinegar to get the rest of the calcium off.
Topic Author
SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 »

I have used parts of your methodology. I am also concerned that it is just not doable, meaning that somehow the components are bolted or screw onto something. The vinegar changed the dynamics a bit. Now the lever turns round and round and the Escutcheon twists but the lever will not come off. I have tapped it with channel locks but this did not work. I have not tried the heat yet. I have read that a hair dryer might work.
Mike
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Do you need to purchase any plumbing supplies for your project? If you take your picture to a store specializing in plumbing supplies, maybe they would be willing to give some 'free' advice. It's might be easier to get a little 'free' help when you're buying something. :wink:
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

I hear you.

Stores are closed now - but you could see if you can find a drawing on the web.

Do you know who makes it? If so - go to the manufacturer's web site and look around for your model. Many manufacturers publish PDFs with installation instructions such as this:

http://www.deltafaucet.com/bath/details ... lery=false
http://www.deltafaucet.com/media/Produc ... _1bf33.pdf

Then tomorrow if you still can't get it off - take your photos to a plumbing shop. I think that is a great idea too.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

I wonder if part of the handle can be twisted off by hand. The outermost bit of my grohe is a piece of trim that spins off. You might be able to spin off a bit and find a nut or screw underneath. But again - this would be clear if you could find an installation drawing on the web.
Topic Author
SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 »

Shower Handle1.JPG
Shower Handle1.JPG
Here is a better photo. I think the idea about bringing it to a plumbing shop is a good one. I am the mean time, I sent it to my uncle, who owned a plumbing business for decades.
Mike
johnubc

Post by johnubc »

Did you fully remove the set screw?

I had a handle that I was trying to remove, so I backed out the set screw and still could not get the handle off. After a while (I forget why, maybe I Googled it), I screwed the set screw IN, and the handle just came off. On that set, the set screw was not part of the handle at all, it was in the shaft, and screwing it out, locked the handle in place.
Topic Author
SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 »

I did remove the set screw. It is located at the end of the lever right before the thinner metal component. Not sure how putting it back in would result in the lever coming off. Currently it is back in.
Mike
Topic Author
SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 »

I also don't know if the new handles will fit on the existing values. I don't know who is the manufacturer of the old handle. I am assuming it is Kohler because all of the sinks and toilets are Kohler. (The new handles are Kohler). I will cross this bridge if I ever get to it.
Mike
boffalora

Post by boffalora »

Here's a Kohler shower valve parts explosion diagram from faucetdirect.com . http://kohlerparts.faucetdirect.com/med ... pdf#page=7

You hadn't mentioned whether yours is a two-handle or one-handle assembly, but judging from the skirt, I'm guessing it's two-handle.

The drawing is a bit confusing, but clearly the difference between this assembly and the corresponding vanity sink version is the stem extension (73092).

Try turning the entire skirt counterclockwise. It may be threaded and thus fastened to the stem extension.
boffalora

Post by boffalora »

Sorry. I meant the skirt may be threaded and thus attached to the YOKE.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

The valve stem, and stem extension, may be threaded to accept a screw.

There might be a screw that holds the collar on to the valve stem.

Can you disassemble the glass handle?

It could be that the elbow on the handle, located between the glass handle and the collar, may be a separate piece. If you can remove the elbow from the collar, you might get access to this screw.

The set screw you removed could be holding the collar on to the elbow.
Topic Author
SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 »

CaliJim wrote:The valve stem, and stem extension, may be threaded to accept a screw.

There might be a screw that holds the collar on to the valve stem.

Can you disassemble the glass handle?

It could be that the elbow on the handle, located between the glass handle and the collar, may be a separate piece. If you can remove the elbow from the collar, you might get access to this screw.

The set screw you removed could be holding the collar on to the elbow.
Yes, I can easily disassemble the glass handle. I am not sure if this will help though. For lack of a better term, there is a metal stick inside the glass handle but I think it is only there so you can attach the glass part. Removing the stick has no impact on the rest of the parts. The problem is that I cannot remove the elbow. The stem is stuck in the elbow.
Mike
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

Is the collar a separate piece from the elbow - or is it all once piece?

From the picture - it looks like the next piece in from the elbow is a collar (then the stem, then the escutcheon.) I'm thinking the elbow is screwed into the collar.

Get the elbow off the collar off, and expose a Phillips head screw that hold the collar on??
Topic Author
SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 »

I was optimistic when I saw your post but the it appears the elbow and the collar are one piece.
Mike
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

Then I think it is just stuck. More heat. Pull evenly, and tap while pulling.

If you have a small block of wood - hold that on the tile and use the block as a fulcrum for a long handled straight blade screw driver. Place the blade under the collar and lever gently on all sides, tapping occasionally to help break the bond.

Soak it well with vinegar - wrap a hot vinegar and water towel and let it soak.
WD40 may help too.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

Make sure you know where the whole house water shut off valve is, and that it works.
Topic Author
SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 »

I have no idea where it is but I should find out. There is no water shut off for the shower in the bathroom.
Mike
jwtietz

Post by jwtietz »

Look to make sure that there isn't a second setscrew under the first.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

SVariance1 wrote:I have no idea where it is but I should find out. There is no water shut off for the shower in the bathroom.
My shower doesn't have a shutoff eiter. I have to go in the basement and shut off the line to the whole second floor. I'm guessing you probably do too.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

At this point, you've done everything within reason to get it off and it is still stuck. If you apply excessive force, you may do some real damage. So, it might be better to hire a plumber to remove it for you.
gatorman
Topic Author
SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 »

gatorman wrote:At this point, you've done everything within reason to get it off and it is still stuck. If you apply excessive force, you may do some real damage. So, it might be better to hire a plumber to remove it for you.
gatorman
My last resort is a call that I should be having today with my uncle, the retired plumber.
Mike
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

Sounds good Mike. I'm looking forward to the next picture and story of what happened.