Is your portfolio at an all-time high?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Poll ended at Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:08 pm

Yes
29%
No
70%
Other
1%

Total votes: 161

Topic Author
natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer »

The last time my portfolio was at an all-time high was July 2011. Today, it surpassed that high.
Easy Rhino

Re: Is your portfolio at an all-time high?

Post by Easy Rhino »

For folks who are still early in the savings process, it may be an automatic "yes" if their monthly savings is very significant compared to market swings.

I think I remember the Quicken bar graph thingy for this month being lower than a few months ago, so i voted "no", but I'm not confident. :greedy
gotherelate

Post by gotherelate »

I don't know if my portfolio is, but I am. :beer
-Grandpa | I'd rather see where I'm going than see where I've been.
stomie

Post by stomie »

Wasn't the dow above 13500? How could my portfolio be at an all-time high?
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

yes!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
norookie

Post by norookie »

:peace
Last edited by norookie on Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

natureexplorer wrote:Is your portfolio at an all-time high?

The last time my portfolio was at an all-time high was July 2011. Today, it surpassed that high.
Well, I voted yes. But, I add significant amounts from work every month. Without those added amounts I would not be at an all time high. But then again, I bought a new car with cash last year so maybe I am at an all time high. No complaints either way.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

No, although I am close, because I take out 4.5% every year to pay the bill to post on Bogleheads.org
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
riskonoff

Post by riskonoff »

Yep.

A special thanks to William Bernstein who got me to believe in buying aggresively into panics.
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
chipmonk

Post by chipmonk »

I've lost about $10k this year (realized losses - unrealized gains), but yes, my portfolio is at an all-time-high for dollar value... since I've been contributing at a very high rate for the past 6 months. :)
Easy Rhino wrote:For folks who are still early in the savings process, it may be an automatic "yes" if their monthly savings is very significant compared to market swings.
That's me. I guess I am lucky to get ~$17k of capital loss carryover "in the bank" early in my investing career ;)
riskonoff wrote:Yep.

A special thanks to William Bernstein who got me to believe in buying aggresively into panics.
I think I might have the stomach for this sort of thing. Is there any kind of good guide or primer on *how* to buy aggressively into panics? When everyone was worrying about the tsunami and nuclear accident in Japan about 6 months ago, I put some extra money into stocks, but I'm not sure if that counts as a full-scale "panic."
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

yup - just because I put 60% net into portfolio - it's getting silly - hopefully I attain the wisdom to enjoy the fruits of it - but not just yet :twisted: .
MWCA

Post by MWCA »

stomie wrote:Wasn't the dow above 13500? How could my portfolio be at an all-time high?
I suppose you could have invested in bonds.
We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

stomie wrote:Wasn't the dow above 13500? How could my portfolio be at an all-time high?
(1) If you've saved money between then and now (And new money you invested in 2008-2009 has done VERY well)

(2) No new money, but you rebalanced strongly during the 2008-2009 crash.
Last edited by HomerJ on Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

MWCA wrote:
I suppose you could have invested in bonds.
Heh... (3) above... Silly of me not to think of that... Gold too... "portfolio" doesn't have to equal "stocks"

Post by 555 »

No. I maxed out my 403b, 457, IRA by May. :?
mak

Post by mak »

About 60% of all time high. I would need a 66% gain from here in all assets combined, real estate, stocks, bonds, to get to my former nominal high which occurred around 2006. And none of this adjusts for losses to inflation.
mhc

Post by mhc »

I think I am at an all time high, but my 401k account has not updated yet. I have surpased my all time high only because of new contributions.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
bru

Post by bru »

As of today my October return as reported on vanguard.com is my largest ever. And very large it is. But it didn't even exceed my losses from August and September. Since I'm only 60 % stocks I have to think anyone reaching new highs is doing it because of additional contributions.
Last edited by bru on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opponent Process

Post by Opponent Process »

yes. buy hold and rebalance wins again.
30/30/20/20 | US/International/Bonds/TIPS | Average Age=37
Taylor Larimore

Depleting a portfolio

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Hi natureexplorer:
No.

We are purposely depleting our portfolio by giving to charity and heirs while we are alive.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

Opponent Process wrote:yes. buy hold and rebalance wins again.
+1 it's the best way to go if you don't know future
Manbaerpig

Post by Manbaerpig »

paid down my mortgage during a refi last month, so no, was higher in march pre-earthquake/tsunami
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

If I weren't consuming it in retirement it probably would be, but it's worth it! :D
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
bob90245

Post by bob90245 »

I only check once a week on Friday. But I would doubt it. But at least I'm positive for the year. Which wasn't the case for these past months. :(
Ignore the market noise. Keep to your rebalancing schedule whether that is semi-annual, annual or trigger bands.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

No. I was at an all time high, before the market "crash" in August. Most of my funds still are down for the year, except my value, European, and REIT index funds, and even those are only up a little bit. I check my portfolio at the end of each quarter, so I'll know more then.
Gordon
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

The market is still down 5% from its peak levels of April 29 and near-peak on July 7, so I wouldn't expect anyone except a very young investor (who could have added 5% to his or her portfolio since July) to be at an all-time high. I reached a high in April and haven't made it back to that point yet.
Wiki David Grabiner
zinnia

Post by zinnia »

wonder what will happen to them when everyone realizes what was done in Europe today didn't really solve anything and our own debt has not begun to be rectified?...but it's fun while it lasts!
hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber »

My all time high was at the end of April as well.
bru

Post by bru »

gkaplan wrote:No. I was at an all time high, before the market "crash" in August. Most of my funds still are down for the year, except my value, European, and REIT index funds, and even those are only up a little bit. I check my portfolio at the end of each quarter, so I'll know more then.
I guess you don't go for the plain Janes. TSM, 500 Index and even Small Cap Index are all positive for the year. Still doesn't mean you'd be at an all time high though.
Topic Author
natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer »

grabiner wrote:The market is still down 5% from its peak levels of April 29 and near-peak on July 7, so I wouldn't expect anyone except a very young investor (who could have added 5% to his or her portfolio since July) to be at an all-time high. I reached a high in April and haven't made it back to that point yet.
Taking distributions into account, Vanguard Target Retirement Income closed roughly at an all-time today. I don't think that is the typical fund/AA for a "very young investor".
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

mak wrote:About 60% of all time high. I would need a 66% gain from here in all assets combined, real estate, stocks, bonds, to get to my former nominal high which occurred around 2006. And none of this adjusts for losses to inflation.
Ouch..

Were you like 70% down at the very bottom? I'm guessing large allocation to stocks and housing in a bubble area? (Nevada, Florida, California?)
MWCA

Post by MWCA »

zinnia wrote:wonder what will happen to them when everyone realizes what was done in Europe today didn't really solve anything and our own debt has not begun to be rectified?...but it's fun while it lasts!
And the world keeps turning. Nothing is ever rectified is it.
We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.
norookie

Post by norookie »

:peace
Last edited by norookie on Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
Sunflower

Post by Sunflower »

hsv_climber wrote:My all time high was at the end of April as well.
Same here and I'm quite a ways from that level. Also, there's still six months of contributions to take into consideration.
Clearly_Irrational

Post by Clearly_Irrational »

chipmonk wrote:I think I might have the stomach for this sort of thing. Is there any kind of good guide or primer on *how* to buy aggressively into panics? When everyone was worrying about the tsunami and nuclear accident in Japan about 6 months ago, I put some extra money into stocks, but I'm not sure if that counts as a full-scale "panic."
I keep an eye on perma bulls like Cramer, if he starts talking about throwing in the towel then I know to back up the truck. Last time I wasn't very sophisticated so I just bought a levered long ETF, nowadays I'd probably use options. **CAUTION** Only do this with your non-core money. Core money should be in a properly diversified mix of low cost index funds that you rebalance regularly.
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

grabiner wrote:The market is still down 5% from its peak levels of April 29 and near-peak on July 7, so I wouldn't expect anyone except a very young investor (who could have added 5% to his or her portfolio since July) to be at an all-time high. I reached a high in April and haven't made it back to that point yet.
You may be right I'm not at all time high I only check at end of quarter or special reason(big drop or gain)but I am at largest l have seen at morningstar.com
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

I'm only 5 years into saving so I answered yes.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Yes. My previous all-time high was October 2007. Beat it yesterday by $14,618. Expect there will probably be some pullback today that will draw it back down a tad, but I'm still happy. Haven't made any contributions to it since I retired in 1997 so life is good.
wander

Post by wander »

All time high now? No, but I am getting there.
jwtietz

Post by jwtietz »

Yes, Up 49k yesterday, today probably down 50k.
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

I voted "no", but I am within 1% of the all-time high... new contributions and some lucky rebalancing.
chipmonk

Post by chipmonk »

Clearly_Irrational wrote:
chipmonk wrote:I think I might have the stomach for this sort of thing. Is there any kind of good guide or primer on *how* to buy aggressively into panics? When everyone was worrying about the tsunami and nuclear accident in Japan about 6 months ago, I put some extra money into stocks, but I'm not sure if that counts as a full-scale "panic."
I keep an eye on perma bulls like Cramer, if he starts talking about throwing in the towel then I know to back up the truck. Last time I wasn't very sophisticated so I just bought a levered long ETF, nowadays I'd probably use options. **CAUTION** Only do this with your non-core money. Core money should be in a properly diversified mix of low cost index funds that you rebalance regularly.
Do you try to track the "perma bulls" because you think it's significant when they catch on to reality, in a lagging indicator kind of way? Or because you think they're influential, in a leading indicator kind of way, and other investors are likely to follow them en masse?

Thanks for the caution as well. I am trying to figure out how I could prudently maintain a separation of my core and non-core money. Perhaps having speculative non-core money at Fidelity, while leaving all my core investments at Vanguard, would be a good way to keep them apart.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

No, but I retired 6 years ago, and are taking $50K out every year, add $300K back in and I am. :D
Topic Author
natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer »

Funny how this goes. The stock market is down over 6% from where it was just 6 months ago, yet 74% of respondents to this poll report currently being at an all-time high.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

natureexplorer wrote:Funny how this goes. The stock market is down over 6% from where it was just 6 months ago, yet 74% of respondents to this poll report currently being at an all-time high.
I'm 50/50 stocks/bonds, so I guess my total portfolio is only down 3% from stocks... How much have bonds returned over 6 months? 1.5% just in interest, but that's only worth 0.75% to my 50/50 portfolio.. So I should be down 2.25%... But didn't bonds go up in value as rates dropped over the last 6 months? Not sure about that.

Even if they were flat, there's 6 months of contributions, which is probably worth 1% or 2% for most people...

(Say you save $15k a year in your 401k with a match... So you've put in $8k or so in the last 6 months... Anyone with $800k in savings just increased their portfolio 1% there; someone with $400k increased it by 2%)
Last edited by HomerJ on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Probably at an all-time high, but I'm still slightly negative on the year thanks to a big international chunk.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

natureexplorer wrote:Funny how this goes. The stock market is down over 6% from where it was just 6 months ago, yet 74% of respondents to this poll report currently being at an all-time high.
Am I reading the results incorrectly? I see 74% voting "No".
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
ElJay

Post by ElJay »

Yes, but primarily due to my saving, not assistance from the market. If Monday isn't a total wreck, this will my best month ever by about 100%. I started five years ago this month.
Topic Author
natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer »

Sidney wrote:
Am I reading the results incorrectly? I see 74% voting "No".
You are right. I guess this makes more sense now.