Steam Room or Sauna?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JDaniels

Steam Room or Sauna?

Post by JDaniels » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:18 pm

I've always preferred going into a sauna prior to working out. It's helped warm the muscles and I actually stretch in their as well.

After a week of working out, I've gotten into the habit of ending my Friday workout with a steam. Just being able to sit in there and breathe deep in and out, is extremely relaxing to a long week.

What's your favorite of the two?
"The poor long for riches. The rich long for heaven. But the wise desire tranquility."

cinghiale

Re: Steam Room or Sauna?

Post by cinghiale » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:28 pm

Ah, a thread after my own heart!

Each has its virtues. We have owned a sauna in the past-- a lovely alderwood unit that we installed in our garage-- and enjoyed every time in it. But steam is awfully nice as well. Through some eucalyptus into the mix, and just breathe it all in.

I vote "both."
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell

serbeer

Post by serbeer » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:44 pm

Sauna.

Both because of how it feels and also because I can read while in sauna, while it is considerably more difficult in steam room--even electronic book in plastic waterproof cover is not working very well because I have to constantly brush condensate from cover surface, pretty much like windshield wiper do in the rain and that detracts from both reading and enjoyment. Also, cannot stay for a long time in steam room as there is no sweating to lower body temperature.

I go to sauna twice a week (for 1-3 hours each time, usually enter it 2-3 times per each visit, stay 20-30 minutes each time with breaks in the cold pool in between), I love to relax and read there.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:32 pm

I prefer the steam room.

The home I bought last year came with a dry sauna, which is very nice, but not as enjoyable as the steam room, IMO. My partner prefers the steam room as well.
Eventually, I plan on doing some modifications to the triple shower area next to the sauna to enclose it, and add a steam generator inside. I don't know when that will be, as it will be a 5 figure project which will also require an upgrade to the electrical panel.

Prokofiev

Post by Prokofiev » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:46 am

I find it very difficult to breathe in a steam room. I feel as if I'm gasping for air after 15-30 seconds and I need to leave. Having had asthma as a kid, it feels very similar and uncomfortable. I can withstand the hot, dry air of a sauna better. Perhaps that is just me, but it has been consistent over the the past 40+ years and I doubt it will change.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler - Einstein

graveday

Post by graveday » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:01 am

A sauna down the street can function equally well as a steam room simply by aiming a stream of water onto the rocks surrounding the stove. The resulting blast of wet heat is indeed extraordinary, but it also is a release valve for a sauna where the dry heat may be too high. Either way, seek lower altitude for refuge if you need it, or leave the space.

wlpotts

Post by wlpotts » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:16 am

Ahh, another challenging and controversial question to this elite group of successful investors?

Being that this question is presented to a demographic which is supposed to be guided by the investing advice inspired by Jack Bogle, I would venture to guess that it would be better to invest in an index which reflects each of the intrinsic attributes and not sweat the occassional RTM.
Some have it. Some don't. Either way, here I am!

LH

Post by LH » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:18 pm

I would recommend a steam shower to anyone.

We have both a steam shower and sauna. The sauna hardly ever gets used, in fact, the previous owners were using it as a closet.

The sauna takes time to warm up, so when you feel like using it, 15 minutes later or whatever, you no longer feel like it.

the steam shower is awesome, about 30 seconds till steam jets out, fills up the shower : )

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:33 pm

I wouldn't actually install either in my house yet I enjoy both at the health club. Steam rooms have ridiculous maintenance requirements (due to steam/tile/mildew etc) and both require huge amounts of energy to heat up. They are one of those things that's better to enjoy with others than at home.

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:27 pm

We just completed a new house build and had a sauna roughed in in the basement.