Welcome to Bogleheads? Why did you make your first post?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
livesoft

Welcome to Bogleheads? Why did you make your first post?

Post by livesoft » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:57 pm

Welcome to Bogleheads!

What caused you to actually register and post to your first thread?

I just was wondering because of the very first post to the world's premier financial self-help forum sometimes can be totally off-topic:
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83979

I mean how far from investing is removing teeth from a cat?

Now I have a dog and it has had its teeth cleaned, but I read up on dog teeth cleaning on a dog teeth cleaning forum before I did the deed. I wonder what the weirdest topic on this forum is gonna be or has been?
Last edited by livesoft on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

rwwoods

Post by rwwoods » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:59 pm

I wanted to know if I could do better myself rather using an advisor who used DFA funds. I did it myself.
"I'm not so much concerned about the return on my money as the return of my money" - Will Rogers

leonard

Post by leonard » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:35 pm

I can start a different thread Livesoft, if this is too much a tangent, but it is related to strangeness around why people register on this site.

But, when you look at the "Memberlist" above and sort it for new members, I am amazed at the number of people that register but never post. why do they do that?
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

rob

Post by rob » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:43 pm

Moved from m* for reasons that should stay in the past :?
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

Topic Author
livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:53 pm

leonard wrote:I can start a different thread Livesoft, if this is too much a tangent, but it is related to strangeness around why people register on this site.

But, when you look at the "Memberlist" above and sort it for new members, I am amazed at the number of people that register but never post. why do they do that?
They can vote in polls. As a big pollster myself, I really appreciate their participation. :)

market timer

Post by market timer » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:53 pm

leonard wrote:why do they do that?
Subscribe to threads they find interesting?

dave66

Post by dave66 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:55 pm

leonard wrote:I can start a different thread Livesoft, if this is too much a tangent, but it is related to strangeness around why people register on this site.

That's by no means a phenomena that is limited to this forum. Virtually all forums and email lists are like that. By far, the majority never says a word. I run a list with 800 people... On average, maybe 50 of them routinely comment. It gets annoying sometimes, especially since I know for a fact a lot of them could contribute something valuable, but don't. Some people are shy. Most lazy.

I joined because I had an account that was managed and I wanted to manage it myself. Thanks to a lot of help from here, I'm well on my way.

Leif

Post by Leif » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:04 pm

I was originally on M*. This forum offered some advantages.

My original post here is to reply to someone looking for an advisor. He was in my area so I responded with the name of an advisor I used. I was immediately attacked as probably being that advisor. A poor welcome, but I'm glad I stayed.

mickens16

Post by mickens16 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:23 pm

I came across this site by accident, maybe it was fate. My wife was pregnant with our 2nd and we felt we were wasting our hard work by just putting everything in savings accounts. At the time, I was speaking to my MIL about finances and planners came up and she mentioned that she uses Ameriprise. My wife and I were going to meet with a planner with Ameriprise but 'life' got in the way and I went onto M* and this site was mentioned. When I came across a thread here that mentioned Ameriprise and how ugly they were I couldn't be happier that we are now doing it ourselves and saving even more money with low fees. I don't know what I would have done without bogleheads. Thank you!

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:30 pm

Hocus made me do it.
Gordon

woof755

Post by woof755 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:34 pm

rob wrote:Moved from m* for reasons that should stay in the past :?
+1

Actually, probably + a few hundred.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:39 pm

I was with this group on M* and just followed the move over to this site when it opened.
All the Best, | Joe

campy2010

Post by campy2010 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:46 pm

I wanted to know which funds I should choose after my company switched up our 401k plan. I think I was also debating about participating in my company's ESPP plan. 401k advise was good, but the ESPP plan has turned into a total bust so far this year...darn.

I have to admit, I sometimes read people's first posts when they ask questions. A medical resident recently posted about his finances and his first post (a year ago) mentioned he was 21 years old. Hmmm, not out of the question but pretty unusual. A luxury car buying question was posted by someone with >$150k in pretty high interest student loans. Yikes. And no, I don't call them out on their first post.

celia

Post by celia » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:47 pm

This forum was mentioned on 403bewise.com and sounded of interest to me. I read threads for a while until I had a question, then registered. I already had accounts at Vanguard, but was annoyed by their not signing "information sharing agreements" for 403b's.

Epsilon Delta

Re: Welcome to Bogleheads? Why did you make your first post

Post by Epsilon Delta » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 pm

livesoft wrote:Welcome to Bogleheads!

Someone was wrong on the Internet.

http://xkcd.com/386/

travellight

Post by travellight » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:55 pm

I think the 2008 loss of 1/3 of my 401K led me here. I asked on another site about this and someone recommended this place. It was very helpful.

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:00 pm

livesoft wrote:Welcome to Bogleheads!

I just was wondering because of the very first post to the world's premier financial self-help forum sometimes can be totally off-topic:

Now I have a dog and it has had its teeth cleaned, but I read up on dog teeth cleaning on a dog teeth cleaning forum before I did the deed. I wonder what the weirdest topic on this forum is gonna be or has been?
[Channeling livesoft:] Surely the answers to all your questions are on the Wiki, if you would just take the time to search there before you start a new thread.

:)

Topic Author
livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:11 pm

^ Love it!

Accumulator

Post by Accumulator » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:37 pm

leonard wrote:But, when you look at the "Memberlist" above and sort it for new members, I am amazed at the number of people that register but never post. why do they do that?
Ooh! Ooh! I know at least one reason, because I am completely guilty of it.

I registered in order to post one of those "Review my portfolio creation" threads. After registering, I spent the next three hours looking up all my info and putting it all in the proper format. I got it done, typed out all my questions, threw in some whitespace, and added a smiley to one one of the questions.

When I gave it a quick grammar check before posting, I realized that I really didn't need help anymore. Arranging all of my information in the proper format made it all clear to me.

So I'd say that accounts for, well, not that many, but more people than you expect. I don't even remember what my first post was, because it was incidental. But "Yet Another Review my Portfolio" is the post that never was.

Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:00 pm

dave66 wrote:

That's by no means a phenomena that is limited to this forum. Virtually all forums and email lists are like that. By far, the majority never says a word. I run a list with 800 people... On average, maybe 50 of them routinely comment. It gets annoying sometimes, especially since I know for a fact a lot of them could contribute something valuable, but don't. Some people are shy. Most lazy.
They are the (lazy) 99%! ;)

As for me: needed help, got it, still here, glad I signed up, hope I'm not too annoying, know that I sometimes am :/
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe

musbane

Post by musbane » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:09 pm

I lurked for a long time - years actually. Morning* and then here. I learned a lot. I registered because I wanted to add something if I could.

I sometimes find a thread where I feel I can add something from my experience.

Sometimes I find I was wrong. But I have never been flamed. That's rare on the Internet.

I'll never be one of the great, literate posters here, but I may sometimes add a nugget. And I don't play anywhere else.

musbane

Post by musbane » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:12 pm

I lurked for a long time - years actually. Morning* and then here. I learned a lot. I registered because I wanted to add something if I could.

I sometimes find a thread where I feel I can add something from my experience.

Sometimes I find I was wrong. But I have never been flamed. That's rare on the Internet.

I'll never be one of the great, literate posters here, but I may sometimes add a nugget. And I don't play anywhere else.

mhc

Post by mhc » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:43 pm

I registered because after lurking for a couple of months I decided this was a community that had helped me a lot and I wanted to be a part of it.

My first post was pointing someone to the Wiki to read about tax efficient placement of funds.

One of my goals this year was to straighten out my investments. Thanks to this forum, I accomplished my goal after 9 months.

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:12 pm

I can't remember.

CABob

Post by CABob » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:19 pm

I initially registered and posted on the M* forum and later migrated here. I don't recall my first post, but, it was probably a response to some unconsequential conversation to which I thought I could provide something meaningful. Soon afterward, however, I retired and needed to do something with a lump sum cash payout of a 401k and pension. I received some very valuable help with that process and have been "improving" it ever since.
This is a great forum with great contributors.
Bob

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:37 pm

CaliJim wrote:I can't remember.
You can search your past posts by clicking on "View your posts" and go to your last page.
My first post here was after moving in 2007 from Morningstar which I originally joined in 1998. My first one here was nothing special...just a comment.
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

brogrammer

Post by brogrammer » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:08 am

Accumulator wrote:Arranging all of my information in the proper format made it all clear to me.
Totally! I've almost posted a couple of questions, but once I reasoned it out well enough to post it, it's no longer a question any more.

Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:37 am

I was looking for a place to brag about my fourteen dollar watch.
"Cost matters". "Stay the course". "Press on, regardless". ― John C. Bogle

schnoodlemom

Post by schnoodlemom » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:06 am

My motivation was the 2008 downturn and needing a portfolio review. We knew about index investing and John Bogle before this, but we weren't practicing good asset allocation. What I can't remember is how I came to know of the forum. Maybe a google search? I just don't know. At the same time we interviewed three different local financial planners and decided to continue DIY investing. I've learned a lot here. Thank you!

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

My early posts

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:08 am

Hi livesoft:
I started posting on the Morningstar "Basic" forum in 1997 to get answers to my investing questions. I recall asking, "What is Modern Portfolio Theory?" (I'm still not 100% sure). A year later I helped start the "Vanguard Diehard Forum" on their website. The Vanguard Forum soon became Morningstar's most popular forum.

I was Morningstar's posting leader for many years with over 25,000 Morningstar posts. Mel was not far behind. The first edition of our Bogleheads Guide to Investing refers to the Morningstar Vanguard Forum, so Mel and I still post there to help answer reader's questions.

I post on this Bogleheads Forum for two reasons: 1) I want to learn as much as I can about investing and the investment information posted here is unequaled. 2) I enjoy helping others and I believe that sharing Mr. Bogle's wisdom and experience offers the surest road to investment success.

History of the Bogleheads
Last edited by Taylor Larimore on Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:36 am

I was a long time lurker on the M* forum, then came over in 2007.
Why register? - to learn and opine where needed, and to occasionally bug Livesoft :lol: . Actually, I've learned alot from Livesoft, especially how the rich stay rich with those TLH methods.

woof755

Post by woof755 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:51 am

This is what I wrote in my 8th post.
Mr. Larrimore, reading your advice is like drinking a cool glass of lemonade on a hot summer day.
I'm a quick learner!!!
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

og15F1

Post by og15F1 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:54 am

I learned about this forum after reading the Bogleheads Guide to Investing ... possibly also through the Little Book of Common Sense Investing. I think I made my first post because I had a question.

Questions are probably the majority of my posts but if I can't really contribute too much investing knowledge directly maybe I can draw it out of more knowledgeable people by asking my questions.

swats

Post by swats » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:09 am

I was one of the many Americans living pay-check to pay-check. Got a wake-up call which directed me to this forum. Many thanks to this forum for being my lighthouse.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:14 am

I had to start somewhere.

JT

ltuxl

Post by ltuxl » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:17 am

A friend of mine got me interested in finance and recommended the site. After moving through some of the posts I decided to post for advice on my portfolio and I was hooked...

Honestly though, you had me at dividends. 8-)
- Mr. Tux

camiboxer

Post by camiboxer » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:19 am

I joined to learn more about investing and there is no better way than to hear experiences from others who know far more than I.
Hopefully someday I will be able to help someone else.

Bounca

Post by Bounca » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:06 am

Moved from Morningstars forum because it had become a debacle of epic proportions.

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:38 pm

I first posted on M* Diehards to get a review of my portfolio selection. Then after Bogelheads began I moved here. -- Tet

imbogled

Post by imbogled » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:57 pm

Saved the $5 sign up fee at Morningstar for priceless advice here on Bogleheads.

neverknow

Post by neverknow » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:07 pm

livesoft wrote:I just was wondering because of the very first post to the world's premier financial self-help forum sometimes can be totally off-topic:

I think the forum is being data mined. Perhaps not this cat teeth thread, but striking to me are the remarkable quantity of open ended questions about just about anything -- prompted by posters with 30 posts (enough to look like you might blend in). Watch for them. They are striking to me.

I first posted a question about bond mutual funds (2008). They are so recommended by just about everyone, I tried very hard to figure out a way I could invest in them. Presently I own about 3% etf LTPZ (Pimco 15 year TIPs). That's the best I can do at the moment. Pretty much I gave up on bond mutual funds -- they are not for me. One third of my allocation is to 4 tier 2 year CD ladders though. And another 12% to 2 individual TIPs (2032 and 2040). And another 10% to I Bonds. But bond mutual funds? Still can't do it. Best I can do is buy them and hold them about 4 months. I just can not stay the course with them. Best not to try, yet every now and then - I try yet again.
neverknow

Jake46

Post by Jake46 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:29 pm

joe8d wrote:I was with this group on M* and just followed the move over to this site when it opened.
+1

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:42 pm

neverknow wrote:I think the forum is being data mined.
Yes, a statistician's playground, a conspiracy to gather informative profiles of us all.

The question is, what's the final goal, and who, or what, is behind it? -- Tet

Midpack

Post by Midpack » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:48 pm

I came here after lurking for a week or two. I joined because I wanted feedback on my investments and goals, so I submitted following the recommended format http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212. I have gotten great insights here, it's the best investing site for index investors I know of, and the best moderated too. I am glad I found this place...
You only live once...

SGM

Post by SGM » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:47 am

I made my first post to get some feedback concerning delaying ss payout until age 70 and substituting a 7 year annuity vs. laddered cds for the hiatus.

No time to post often, barely have time to read posts. Laziness is not in my vocabulary.

As was previously posted, the act of writing may clarify and answer your own question and posting is not needed.

TrustNoOne

Post by TrustNoOne » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:18 am

I don't remember my first post, or why I made it. Chances are I felt like arguing about something.

grap0013

Post by grap0013 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:58 am

="NoobvestorAs for me: needed help, got it, still here, glad I signed up, hope I'm not too annoying, know that I sometimes am :/
Noob,

I feel like it's an oxymoron calling you Noob nowadays. I especially like your thoughts on international diversification. I second your above thoughts for myself. I'd like to think I'm less annoying in real life, but I can't prove it!

I found out my wife and I were having our first child. I thought to myself, "I should do some serious homework on investing since I won't have as much time once our child is here and I want to be able to provide more for my family."

I googled asset allocation and stumbled across Merriman's Ultimate Buy and Hold. I came across some lazy Boglehead portfolios with the same search. I thought I came across something revolutionary with the UB&H and submitted to see what the BGs thought.

It's kinda fun to look at one's early posts. TLH sounded like a latin medical abbreviation.
There are no guarantees, only probabilities.