VG web pages do not fit screen

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:04 pm

Vanguard's web pages on any individual fund are much too large to fit screen. All other web pages, including those from VG are normal. What's going on? I get a slide bar at the bottom of the page to move right to left, vertical appears to be normal.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

bearwolf

Re: VG web pages do not fit screen

Post by bearwolf » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:08 pm

pkcrafter wrote:Vanguard's web pages on any individual fund are much too large to fit screen. All other web pages, including those from VG are normal. What's going on? I get a slide bar at the bottom of the page to move right to left, vertical appears to be normal.

Paul
I checked 2 different funds. working ok for me. 13" Macbook Air running Safari Browser.

BearWolf

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:17 pm

You can try to zoom in or out in your browser:
In firefox or Internet Explorer, CTRL - will zoom out, CTRL + will zoom in.

In Internet explorer, click view->Zoom, or click View->Text Size.

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:46 pm

Zoom out doesn't even work. Things do get smaller, but I still need to use the slide bar to view the other half of a page. Does everyone have a slide bar at the bottom of the page? All worked fine until I upgraded to Win 7. This is a Dell Inspiron 15".

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

mas

Post by mas » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:05 pm

It is not likely relevant how big the monitor is, but rather what the screen resolution is set to. It fits fine on mine (1280x1024 pixels). When I adjust the window to be smaller horizontally, it starts to scroll at about 980 pixels. I suspect that if you can change your display settings to 1024x768, it will look just fine. Maybe the Windows upgrade could not properly detect your video card, and defaulted to a lower resolution?

norookie

Post by norookie » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:22 pm

pkcrafter wrote:Zoom out doesn't even work. Things do get smaller, but I still need to use the slide bar to view the other half of a page. Does everyone have a slide bar at the bottom of the page? All worked fine until I upgraded to Win 7. This is a Dell Inspiron 15".

Paul
:D Page is to big you have to resize it for the screen. That was my answer when I asked the same question from someone that knew :wink:
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:28 pm

All looks fine on my antique 1024x768 CRT. The horizontal scroll bar doesn't appear until the the window size becomes narrower than about 1000 pixels.

I agree, though, web designers seems to be very insensitive to the idea that screen sizes vary.

How wide did you say your screen was? Does Windows 7 use up horizontal real estate that previous versions didn't use?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:32 pm

Resolution is 1366x768.

Paul

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:38 am

Which browser are you using? Some CSS and scripts behave differently on different browsers.

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:09 pm

Firefox, and again there is no problem on any other web sites, nor on the opening page of any Vanguard fund. It's only when I go to one of the secondary pages like portfolio or fees.

Paul

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:39 pm

I don't see any problems using Firefox 6.0.2 under Ubuntu.

It might help if you could be more specific.

What OS are you using?
Have you tried another browser?
Can you post a URL of a page that is giving trouble?

John151

Post by John151 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:09 pm

I have the same problem as pkcrafter, running Firefox 6.0.2 on Mac OS 10.6.8 when viewing pages like this one:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/ ... IntExt=INT

Oddly, if I'm using Safari for the Mac 5.0.5, the problem disappears.

This has been the case for at least a year now.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:15 pm

John151 wrote:I have the same problem as pkcrafter, running Firefox 6.0.2 on Mac OS 10.6.8 when viewing pages like this one:

I looked at the page. In Firefox I don't get a width problem, but the two charts "Average Annual Performance" and "Hypothetical Growth of $10,000" do not display. They do display properly in Opera. Do you get these charts displayed and are they wider than needed?

We probably have different add-ins or extensions loaded. I tried disabling ad-block, no-script and better privacy but it had no effect on how things display. When I check the error tab Firefox gives a boat load of warnings for the page, however the page is more complicated than I am willing to debug. (It also looks much more complicated than it needs to be, but I think that of most web pages)

The problem is most likely that the page is incompatible with Firefox. Most likely Vanguard is trying to have complete control of the appearance and got something wrong, but it's also possible there is a bug in Firefox.

John151

Post by John151 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:11 pm

Both of the charts are displayed, and they're aligned with the rest of the data on the page. But I have to move a horizontal scrollbar back and forth to see all of the data, or to see both of the charts at the same time. So I think the problem is that the page itself is too wide to display fully when I'm using Firefox. You're probably right that something in the page is incompatible with Firefox on my Mac, since I don't have this problem with Safari.

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:07 am

John151 wrote:I have the same problem as pkcrafter, running Firefox 6.0.2 on Mac OS 10.6.8 when viewing pages like this one:

John, that looks just like my page.

Paul

grayfox

Post by grayfox » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:41 am

I sounds like Vanguard's web developers are not testing the web pages on multiple browsers and platforms. Very sloppy software design and testing.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:00 am

grayfox wrote:I sounds like Vanguard's web developers are not testing the web pages on multiple browsers and platforms. Very sloppy software design and testing.
Would it be appropriate to bring this up with the Vanguard panel during BH10?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

mas

Post by mas » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:15 am

Epsilon Delta wrote:The problem is most likely that the page is incompatible with Firefox. Most likely Vanguard is trying to have complete control of the appearance and got something wrong, but it's also possible there is a bug in Firefox.
And yet it works fine* on Windows Vista with Firefox 6 for me.

* where fine means that it does not scroll horizontally until the window is less than 980 pixels wide. And I do have the 2 charts.

House Blend

Post by House Blend » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:27 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
grayfox wrote:I sounds like Vanguard's web developers are not testing the web pages on multiple browsers and platforms. Very sloppy software design and testing.
Please do. For the record, I have the same issue with Firefox 3.6.x on Red Hat Enterprise Linux. I can open the browser up to full screen 1920x1200 pixels. (Or more, using virtual screens.) Doesn't matter. The window-within-a-window style of the webpages for indvidual funds always has a horizontal scrollbar and refuses to display all the information without scrolling.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:37 pm

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
+1

I'd love it if Vanguard pages would load in 30 seconds over dial-up and lose all of the active scripting. I don't mind selecting multiple check boxes and then hitting Submit.

As I get older, I'm becoming more concerned that the simpler the web technology, the better for me (an older technology user). I really don't want to be forced to buy a new computer and high-speed connection to get my online statements, make trades, and check fund performance data.

Please return the web client interface to simpler technology. Vanguard can make the server technology as complex as it likes; just don't force it on the client.

My $.02.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:14 pm

mas wrote:
Epsilon Delta wrote:The problem is most likely that the page is incompatible with Firefox. Most likely Vanguard is trying to have complete control of the appearance and got something wrong, but it's also possible there is a bug in Firefox.
And yet it works fine* on Windows Vista with Firefox 6 for me.

* where fine means that it does not scroll horizontally until the window is less than 980 pixels wide. And I do have the 2 charts.
Sorry, I over generalised. I meant to say that the web page is incompatible with the three configurations of Firefox. If it incompatible with enough configurations I would generalise to say it has a problem with Firefox generally but there is not enough evidence to say that.

LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:49 pm

dratkinson wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
+1

I'd love it if Vanguard pages would load in 30 seconds over dial-up and lose all of the active scripting. I don't mind selecting multiple check boxes and then hitting Submit.

As I get older, I'm becoming more concerned that the simpler the web technology, the better for me (an older technology user). I really don't want to be forced to buy a new computer and high-speed connection to get my online statements, make trades, and check fund performance data.

Please return the web client interface to simpler technology. Vanguard can make the server technology as complex as it likes; just don't force it on the client.

My $.02.
100% agree with this. They should keep the client side as simple as possible.
Also with the current technology they should be able to detect client side scripting is ON or OFF and deliver the suitable page.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides