Part time health career for health insurance?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
norookie

Post by norookie »

:D You might explore HCare employment, like a CNA, there are many in nursing homes, hospitals and such. Certified Nurses assistant.<shrug>
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
rylemdr

Post by rylemdr »

Nurses.
MWCA

Post by MWCA »

I know of a hospital that pays for healthcare with 64 hrs per 2 week pay period. Not sure I would call 32 hrs a week part time. Job related is nursing.
We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.
jordy

Post by jordy »

Are you wanting to work in healthcare specifically, or because those fields have good insurance? If the latter is the case, you could work at walgreens/cvs/other big chain pharmacy in the front store as a cashier, shift supervisor, etc. it would require no schooling, and the benefits are the same as the pharmacy folks.
MWCA

Post by MWCA »

I think Walmart has some kind of insurance if you work long enough.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Many companies make it a practice to keep their part time employees working just below the number of hours that would make them eligible for benefits. I would assume hospitals are no different.

You might check out this website to see if your state has any special program for self-employed people or if you might qualify for HIPAA insurance if you are coming off of some other policy. Be sure to check the dates on the information, some of the states have not been updated in a few years.

http://healthinsuranceinfo.net/

If the healthcare reform is not revised before 2014 then there may a more options for buying a private policy then.
MWCA

Post by MWCA »

Sounds like you have the money. Why not just go into the high risk pool in your state if getting coverage is a problem? I found most of the high deductible plans cost around 10000 a year for a relatively healthy couple nearing retirement.I don't know of any jobs paying for healthcare with less than 30 hrs a week.

At any rate I wish you luck in finding something! :)
ram

Post by ram »

I work in healthcare. My employer pays 100% of health insurance cost for the family for ANY employee working 0.8 FTE or more (32 hrs/wk). Partial cost for less than 0.8

The job that satisfies your requirement will be MA (medical assistant). Needs 2 yrs after high scool. You may get 6 or 12 mo credit for your 4 y college. Typical starting salary will be $12/hr.
Ram
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

jenny345 wrote:My main goal is to get a job that is somewhat interesting, can't be outsourced, is in demand, I can work part time and get inexpensive health insurance.
Starbucks?

I know, it's not healthcare, but it fits the other criteria.
Sarah
MWCA

Post by MWCA »

Make sure that major hospital you want to work will take an education level less than a RN.
SpecialK22

Post by SpecialK22 »

MWCA wrote:Make sure that major hospital you want to work will take an education level less than a RN.
Good point. My parents were just telling me that a major hospital in the city I grew up in just laid off all LPNs, and the intent is to only have RNs from here on out.

You could consider the Guard/Reserve course if you are trying the RN route. I don't think they typically have an age limit for medical professionals, and it would generally be a one weekend a month/two weeks a year commitment. TriCare Reserve Select premiums for member plus family are $197.76/mo for 2011 and $192.89/mo for 2012. Of course you would have to consider the possibility of deployments; I'm not sure of the operational tempo of nurses.

You could also look into some technician type career fields at civilian hospitals.
Curlyq

Post by Curlyq »

Last edited by Curlyq on Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Balance

Post by Balance »

jenny345 wrote:
englishgirl wrote:
jenny345 wrote:My main goal is to get a job that is somewhat interesting, can't be outsourced, is in demand, I can work part time and get inexpensive health insurance.
Starbucks?

I know, it's not healthcare, but it fits the other criteria.

I'm really interested in doing something in healthcare that would be somewhat interesting and a short commute. I live near a major hospital and a lot of the moms in the area are nurses and work part time. But it isn't worth it to me to go back to school for 4 years. I can go back to school for a year or so.

I didn't realize until I started this thread and doing a little research on my own there are nursing jobs that just require a few semesters of school and much of that can be done online, so that is quite intriguing. I don't really know much about jobs that do not require 4 year degrees. I guess I have to start paying more attention to the Heald college ads on day time TV. :)
In the Bay Area. When I met my fiance we were both trying to get into nursing school. She ended up becoming an RN and I went a completely different route and ended up with a degree in Business. When we were looking at schools, a majority of them were 2 year Asociate degrees which made you eligible to take the RN exam. There is a BSN in nursing as well. Since you already have a 4 year degree you may be able to use some courses towards an AA in nursing. But, for most of the medical related fields you will most likely need to have taken Anatomy, Physiology, Medical Terminology within the last 2 years.

My fiance and I are both relatively young so it will be a long time until retirement. But we have talked about her working part time when we move into retirement age just to keep the great health care benefits.
fsrph

Re: Part time health career for health insurance?

Post by fsrph »

jenny345 wrote:Are there any health related job where someone could work part time and still get health insurance benefits? It would have to be something that didn't require more than a year or two of school at most and it would be great if some of that could be done online.

I already have a 4 year degree but it isn't in health care. We have a home business for income, so the pay from the part time job doesn't really matter. I am just interested in finding something I could do part time for low cost health insurance until we can get Medicare.
Well, not sure if this meets your criteria but how about a pharmacy technician? Many hospitals don't require certification and they will train you with no additional years of school. There are also hospitals that consider 60-64 hours per 2 week period full time for benefits. Maybe it's somrthing to consider for you.

Francis
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

jenny345 wrote: . . . I could do part time for low cost health insurance until we can get Medicare.
I "get" Medicare - FWIW. I also get the same insurance and the same hefty premium I had before age 65 - because so-called medigap policies cost as much or more than that. I gather this varies from place to place, but here in NYC with Medicare alone I am pretty much left to the Medicare/aid mills.

So I spend a good chunk of income for "insurance" that will vanish when I can no longer work and will need it the most. There are a number of part-time jobs like mine that will graciously allow you to buy insurance at the group rate - which is a helluva lot better than the "free market" rate.

Probably why Medigaps are so expensive - Medicare is a floor, not a ceiling, for costs.

Vic
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

jenny345 wrote:
fsrph wrote:Well, not sure if this meets your criteria but how about a pharmacy technician? Many hospitals don't require certification and they will train you with no additional years of school. There are also hospitals that consider 60-64 hours per 2 week period full time for benefits. Maybe it's somrthing to consider for you.

Francis
A good suggestion, but at pre-retirement age I doubt I would get hired for any kind of on the job training jobs. I'm good at being able to read very fast and be able to pass exams easily. So something I can study for online would be great. I think I'd need some kind of in demand skills to get a job in a brand new field at my age.

I think the CNA, associate degree nurse and medical assistant all sound possibly interesting.
Hopsitals vary in how they hire pharmacy technicians .... but where I work they will train anyone who is interested in the job. This includes young and not so young applicants. We have several technicians who retired from their jobs and became pharmacy technicians in their 60's, even low 70's with just on the job training. So it can be done.

Francis