I Don't have an Iphone!!!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dbc47

I Don't have an Iphone!!!

Post by dbc47 »

I ordered a Sonos Play 3 from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Sonos-Play-All--- ... 284&sr=1-2 and discovered after placing the order that the remote wasn't included. The picture being used on Amazon's site clearly shows a remote control along side the unit. Turns out what I thought was the remote was actually an Iphone or similar. I called Amazon and they were no help in telling if the remote was included so I called Sonos directly and they confirmed that no remote was included with the player. The nice guy I talked to said that I could use my Iphone to control the player if I wanted to. I told him that I didn't have one and he acted shocked. My only alternative was to buy their remote for an additional $349. No way!
I know Iphones are popular but everyone doesn't have one, and I'm not about to buy one, commit to a 2 year contract, just so I can use it to control a stereo.

I just had to rant.
craigr

Post by craigr »

I don't know if you checked the forum policies lately, but anyone who doesn't own an iPhone is automatically banned. In fact, Alex is working to make the forum layout iPhone-only compliant.
IMPORTANT NOTE: My old website crawlingroad{dot}com is no longer available or run by me.
Igglesman

Re: I Don't have an Iphone!!!

Post by Igglesman »

Looks like the system works with Android. For $120 you can purchase an Optimus LG V (Amazon)...and do not activate the phone (no monthly charge)...wifi will work fine...and download the Sonos app for free.

$120 for a remote still sounds extreme.

Alternatively look on eBay for a used Ipod Touch 3rd Generation...and get the app for free.
rob

Post by rob »

An iPOD touch will run the same apps as a phone and can be had FAR cheaper. I find one very handy even as a phone over wifi.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

craigr wrote:I don't know if you checked the forum policies lately, but anyone who doesn't own an iPhone is automatically banned. In fact, Alex is working to make the forum layout iPhone-only compliant.
How about those who has a Droid pnone? I have allergy's to IPhone. Can I be an exeption?
Go Droids!
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
Ozonewanderer

Post by Ozonewanderer »

I was amazed to see in a recent article that the iPhone is 43% of Apple's revenue. That speaks to the genius of Steve Jobs. That also foreshadows Apple's vulnerability. Remember AOL?

As for Sonos, I think it is incredible that a manufacturer will sell their product without prominently warning that an IPhone is a requirement.
stevewolfe

Post by stevewolfe »

rob wrote:An iPOD touch will run the same apps as a phone and can be had FAR cheaper. I find one very handy even as a phone over wifi.
+1 works great for me in combination with an AT&T Go Phone... premo cheapo. :)
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

rob wrote:An iPOD touch will run the same apps as a phone and can be had FAR cheaper. I find one very handy even as a phone over wifi.
That's all I have. Don't have a cell but have never really needed one. Works with all my email accounts (POP & IMAP).
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Topic Author
dbc47

Post by dbc47 »

Ozonewanderer wrote:I was amazed to see in a recent article that the iPhone is 43% of Apple's revenue. That speaks to the genius of Steve Jobs. That also foreshadows Apple's vulnerability. Remember AOL?

As for Sonos, I think it is incredible that a manufacturer will sell their product without prominently warning that an IPhone is a requirement.
The IPhone or equivalent isn't really a recommendation. They are just showing that you can use it as a remote. The system doesn't have to have a remote to function. Their software downloaded on to a PC is used to make the thing work, but in my case it would be pretty inconvenient to have to go back and forth to the PC every time I wanted to change what was playing.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

If you reject the package (assuming it hasn't arrived yet) amazon will automatically refund you. Just sayin'.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

What's an I phone anyway?
All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

craigr wrote:I don't know if you checked the forum policies lately, but anyone who doesn't own an iPhone is automatically banned. In fact, Alex is working to make the forum layout iPhone-only compliant.
iPhone? Damn I don't even use a cell phone.

Please advise what I must do to become automatically banned.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

Sheepdog wrote:What's an I phone anyway?
It's an alternate way of buying I Bonds. :lol:
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

Amazon had the wrong remote control pictured for my laptop. One was nice, the one I got was wierd. I called and they gave me $100 refund to make up for it. That kept me loyal.

As far as the trend of consumer electronics companies assuming everyone has or even wants an iPhone -- it's getting ridiculous. Even if I did have one, do my little kids need them too?
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

mickeyd wrote:
iPhone? Damn I don't even use a cell phone.

Please advise what I must do to become automatically banned.
Send a text massage from your rotary phone to Taylor's exclusive prepaid phone. 8-)
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
Opponent Process

Post by Opponent Process »

the sum total of what this country's done in ten years.
30/30/20/20 | US/International/Bonds/TIPS | Average Age=37
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

Opponent Process wrote:
Hey! What about Tweeter! :twisted:
GammaPoint

Post by GammaPoint »

Opponent Process wrote:
Wow, that's the best description I've heard ever. We should totally make tshirts.
rylemdr

Post by rylemdr »

Ed 2 wrote:
Opponent Process wrote:
And Phasebook!
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

rylemdr wrote:
Ed 2 wrote:
Opponent Process wrote:
And Phasebook!
Makentosh 4me :wink:
macrocarpa77

Post by macrocarpa77 »

I'll hang on to VTSAX, and have all those iPhone users pay me, than pay for an iPhone! :D
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

macrocarpa77 wrote:I'll hang on to VTSAX, and have all those iPhone users pay me, than pay for an iPhone! :D
I didn't know that my only love- VTSAX have someone on the side also.
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

Ed 2 wrote:
Send a text massage
These may not be legal in every state.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
Kristen92

Post by Kristen92 »

Sidney wrote:
Ed 2 wrote:
Send a text massage
But it is worth trying!
HopeToGolf

Post by HopeToGolf »

As an owner of a Sonos Play 5, I assure you a PC/Mac will work fine to control the music. Before I purchased it I knew a "remote" was required if I wanted to remotely control the music so I'm not sure why anyone would use a picture to determine what's in the box.

That said, the Sonos is great (albeit expensive) and I love controlling it using my iPhone, iPad and iMac which all have been used to control it at some point over the last 2 days. If I didn't already have the "i" stuff I would not have purchased the Sonos because the price of their remote is insane.

The OP can rant but it's his fault for making a purchase without understanding the product.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

When I am considering a purchase, I try to read words rather than depend solely on pictures. Following the OPs link to Amazon, I found
Control from anywhere with your smart phone or tablet - works with Android, iPhone, iPad, and Sonos controller
I doubt you can control from anywhere with your smart phone or tablet if you don't own a smart phone or tablet. "Works with" does not mean "included in the box."
Control it all from your Android, iPhone, or iPad using the free SONOS CONTROL app.
They give you a free Control app, not a free controller.
Install the software on your computer.
Choose a controller.
Quickstart Guide
Maybe we can learn something from the quick start guide about controllers. Let's follow the link. It shows (pictures again) sonos control or mobile/tablet, but it doesn't say either is included in the box.

So let's take a look at the most informative item on the Amazon page
What's in the box
SONOS PLAY:3
Power cord
Line-in audio cable
Flat ethernet cable
SONOS System Setup software CD-ROM
SONOS Quickstart Setup Guide
Do you see remote control in this list?
torius71

Post by torius71 »

Kristen92 wrote:
Sidney wrote:
Ed 2 wrote:
Send a text massage
But it is worth trying!
Only if it's consensual.
"A new truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."-MP
ilovedogs

Post by ilovedogs »

I didn't get an iphone and I probably won't for awhile.

Two reasons:

1. I kept hearing about all that you can do with an iphone, and realized pretty fast that Apple has the genius to make its recent laptops have some of the same capabilities, but chose not to. I am not talking about ipads, which I do not need, because I have 3 other Apple computers that are still working just fine and have all the recent updates Apple provided.

For example, I was at the Chicago train station, waiting for a train connection, at a time when the area I was going had flooded train lines. People with iphones helped people with Mac laptops who could not get an internet connection to learn more than Amtrak was saying.

As a Mac user since the mid 80's, I know this was a $ decision by Apple, and I did not want to participate in the company's vision about that.

2. For excellent family reasons, I spent some time on a weekly basis with my brother in law after his therapy sessions. We went to Starbucks. His iphone kept sending him email and text messages. It got my attention in a different way about the fifth time. One day I checked and compared my laptop with him, how his iphone worked seamlessly (and annoyingly) and my Mac laptop wasn't getting connected and was silent.

By the way, I use a Tracfone cell phone, prepaid, because it's just for times when I need it and I don't see a good reason for monthly fees.

The OP made me think of this because it seems very strange that a manufacturer has directions saying you need an iphone or ipad to use their remote capabilities. I bet that is not true, but if so, I have seen other issues before.
Topic Author
dbc47

Post by dbc47 »

Are you guys done raking me over the coals yet?????

Some of you folks are just too good to be true.........
ilovedogs

Post by ilovedogs »

dbc47,

Are you sure it was rakin' You over the coals?

I was agreeing with you -- don't have an iphone either.

Kate
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

dbc47 wrote:Are you guys done raking me over the coals yet?????

I agree with you as well, both on the photo and on this ridiculous obsession with iStuff.
rob

Post by rob »

GammaPoint wrote:
Opponent Process wrote:
Wow, that's the best description I've heard ever. We should totally make tshirts.
Sadly... I agree.... and looks like the larger version (ipad) will be the sum output for the next decade :-(
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

I'm surprised the player can't directly connect to a router but you have to instead buy another piece of hardware to make it wireless.
AnimalCrackers

Post by AnimalCrackers »

dbc47 wrote:Are you guys done raking me over the coals yet?????

When I am considering posting a reply on the internet, I try to give the impression I'm some kind of genius rather than sympathizing with someone who has realized he has made a common mistake. :)
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

new2bogle wrote:I'm surprised the player can't directly connect to a router but you have to instead buy another piece of hardware to make it wireless.
Sonos uses a proprietary network.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.