Little kitten got left behind by mom and 5 other siblings.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rylemdr

Little kitten got left behind by mom and 5 other siblings.

Post by rylemdr »

I posted about 6 little kittens a week ago, now their mom just left this one kitten and took all the others. He/she is very tiny. I took a syringe and filled it with some milk and fed the kitten. He/she seems to be drinking the milk, but continues to cry.

I tried calling the pound and no one wants to take it. They only take dogs.

Me and my family do not have the time, money, or even the space to take care of the kitty. My mom also hates cats, but we are feeding it now because no animal should die of starvation.

I'm not sure if this kitten will survive the long term. Can anyone give me some advice on how to take care of it for the meantime?

I am thinking it is around 1 to 2 weeks old. Unable to drink milk from a bowl, much less eat cat food(which was generously donated by a neighbor).

Please send me a message if anyone wants to take care of it. I live in Bakersfield, CA.

The kitty has a black coat and white "socks" on its feet.
Sunflower

Post by Sunflower »

Looks like you have a cat.

Craigslist? Drop it at someone else's doorstep? :P
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Many people treat cats like rodents - most are fine animals and loving pets if given a chance
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Find a shelter that will take it!!!
Opponent Process

Post by Opponent Process »

if nothing else, this story is a great metaphor.
30/30/20/20 | US/International/Bonds/TIPS | Average Age=37
Manbaerpig

Post by Manbaerpig »

put them in a bag and slam it into the ground a good couple dozen times until the sounds stop :shock:
LikeYouImagine

Post by LikeYouImagine »

Do some research on google. My wife and I raised an orphan kitten (1 week old) a couple years ago.

It needs feed kitten formula or goats milk. I know kittens can have problems with cows milk (this isn't universally true, some will do fine on it but others are lactose intolerant I believe.)

It should be kept warm. Keep it in small box with a warm water bottle with a towel wrapped around it.

A mother cat will stimulate it to make it have a bowel movement. My wife and I would feed the kitten from a tiny bottle and then stimulate it for 5-10 minutes after feeding. Sometimes it would take 24-48 hours between bowel movements. Once again, google for more details.

The kitten should be dewormed as soon as possible.

We found our little feline critter in the woods abandoned with its eyes and ears closed. We ended up keeping it after the intense month or two it took to keep it alive. Those first couple months were I think possibly as much work as a human newborn.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

A mother cat will stimulate it to make it have a bowel movement. My wife and I would feed the kitten from a tiny bottle and then stimulate it for 5-10 minutes after feeding. Sometimes it would take 24-48 hours between bowel movements. Once again, google for more details.
While I am, perhaps, a bit of a trivia freak, and usually appreciate learning lots of trivial details, I think I would have been better off without knowing this "detail".
HornedToad

Post by HornedToad »

Humane Society would be your best bet.
Topic Author
rylemdr

Post by rylemdr »

Good news! I went to work today and I was telling my co-workers about this kitten, asking who wants to keep it. One of the doctors in the office overheard our conversation and offered to take it in and make sure it learns how to eat, etc..

Plus, one of my co-workers offered to take it when the kitty is out of the danger zone because her son has always wanted a kitten.

Thanks all for caring enough to comment(cept you Manbaerpig :evil:). Happy day for me :)
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

rylemdr wrote:Good news! I went to work today and I was telling my co-workers about this kitten, asking who wants to keep it. One of the doctors in the office overheard our conversation and offered to take it in and make sure it learns how to eat, etc..

Plus, one of my co-workers offered to take it when the kitty is out of the danger zone because her son has always wanted a kitten.

Thanks all for caring enough to comment(cept you Manbaerpig :evil:). Happy day for me :)
Good karma shall come your way. Trust me.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
LikeYouImagine

Post by LikeYouImagine »

dm200 wrote: While I am, perhaps, a bit of a trivia freak, and usually appreciate learning lots of trivial details, I think I would have been better off without knowing this "detail".
And I thought I was leaving the details out :lol: .
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Great news.

Gonna give an update on my "cat" situation...

Earlier this spring a stray showed up at our house, which we began feeding. We named him "Roy". He has pretty much moved in now. A "cat rescue" service for $35 did quite a bit and he now spends time in our house. The plan is that he will completely move in during the winter (sleep nights). Currently he sleeps in the garage at night.

Today he brought home a chipmunk, yesterday a mouse. Tonight he chased off a feral cat, but needed a little help from my wife.

He is definately a family member now.

Ed
JasonR

Post by JasonR »

Opponent Process wrote:if nothing else, this story is a great metaphor.
?

(I've had a few glasses of wine--okay, six or seven.)
JasonR

Post by JasonR »

MP173 wrote: Today he brought home a chipmunk, yesterday a mouse.
So, are you now taking care of the chipmunk and mouse, too?
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

Manbaerpig wrote:put them in a bag and slam it into the ground a good couple dozen times until the sounds stop :shock:
market timer 8-)
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
Opponent Process

Post by Opponent Process »

JasonR wrote:
Opponent Process wrote:if nothing else, this story is a great metaphor.
?

(I've had a few glasses of wine--okay, six or seven.)
it's the feline equivalent of LBJ's Great Society.
LBJ wrote:I took a syringe and filled it with some milk and fed the kitten. He/she seems to be drinking the milk, but continues to cry.
30/30/20/20 | US/International/Bonds/TIPS | Average Age=37
Sunflower

Post by Sunflower »

dm200 wrote:
While I am, perhaps, a bit of a trivia freak, and usually appreciate learning lots of trivial details, I think I would have been better off without knowing this "detail".
I just hope they don't "stimulate" it using the same technique a mother does. :P
DidItMyWay

Post by DidItMyWay »

If you go to Pet Smart, or any pet store, you should be able to find kitten formula. Feed it (instead of regular milk) to the kitten every couple of hours until your co-worker is able to take the kitty.

Good for you for taking it in and finding it a home.

Good luck!
Joe S.

Post by Joe S. »

Ed 2 wrote:
Manbaerpig wrote:put them in a bag and slam it into the ground a good couple dozen times until the sounds stop :shock:
market timer 8-)
Actually bouncing cats is a useful simulator for predicting market behavior for market timers. It's called dead cat bounce theory. Don't knock it til you try it.

Mister Whale

Post by Mister Whale »

rylemdr wrote:(cept you Manbaerpig :evil:)
Yeah. What the hell was that?
" ... advice is most useful and at its best, not when it is telling you what to do, but when it is illuminating aspects of the situation you hadn't thought about." --nisiprius
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

Joe S. wrote:
Ed 2 wrote:
market timer 8-)
Actually bouncing cats is a useful simulator for predicting market behavior for market timers. It's called dead cat bounce theory. Don't knock it til you try it.

That what I was suggestion by my comment. :wink:
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel