Hurricane thread

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
FNK

Hurricane thread

Post by FNK » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:17 pm

For all of us on the East Coast: What are you doing to meet Irene?

I'm in Boston. Definitely putting away all garden furniture and trash barrels. Pulling air conditioners. Not boarding up.

Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:30 pm

Wishing I had bought an emergency generator earlier this summer, to run my basement sump pumps.

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:31 pm

Will put the umbrella down, bring in some cushions for the outdoor furniture and buy some water (my wife's idea).
Mike

Mel Lindauer

Re: Hurricane thread

Post by Mel Lindauer » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:32 pm

FNK wrote:For all of us on the East Coast: What are you doing to meet Irene?

I'm in Boston. Definitely putting away all garden furniture and trash barrels. Pulling air conditioners. Not boarding up.
We dodged a bullet here in Florida. Earlier predictions had us in the cone of possibility and it looked like we were going to get hit. But day by day, the projections moved further and further off our coast.

In this case, one group's good fortune is another's bad luck.

Good luck to all those in the northeast. My kids and grandkids are in Philly, and they're already drenched from record rainfalls, so the ground there can't handle any more rain.

I just talked to my son there, and he said he was preparing by buying cookies since they don't require refrigeration or electricity to prepare (he's obviously still got a sense of humor).
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:41 pm

In northern NJ, we don't have many options other than to bring in the outdoor furniture and put a few cases of drinking water in the house (we usually store a dozen cases in the garage, but if the power is out...).

We don't usually have shutters for windows here, generally there's no need. I'm not putting up plywood.

I sure hope it blows over.

In one week, we have had a hockey practice cancelled due to an earthquake, and now possibly a tournament cancelled due to hurricane. In NEW JERSEY fer cryin' out loud!

JordanIB

Re: Hurricane thread

Post by JordanIB » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:45 pm

FNK wrote:For all of us on the East Coast: What are you doing to meet Irene?

Hmm...hadn't thought about removing window AC's. Good thought.

Tom_T

Post by Tom_T » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:46 pm

Claude wrote: In one week, we have had a hockey practice cancelled due to an earthquake, and now possibly a tournament cancelled due to hurricane. In NEW JERSEY fer cryin' out loud!
:)

I was just telling my brother, "Imagine if, last week, someone had told you 'Hey, next week NYC will have an earthquake and a hurricane!'"

The Black Swan strikes again.

tj218

Post by tj218 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:57 pm

Our flashlights need batteries. I guess I may need to pull in the porch furniture. The new swing-set I just built for my daughter....ugh I will double check and make sure it is secure enough and probably pull off the canopy above the slide.

Would homeowners insurance cover if a tree falls on the (de-tachted) garage and crushes our new car? Or is this one thing the insurance companies screw people over with?

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:16 pm

The car should be covered by comprehensive auto insurance.

I asked a friend to sandbag the front and back door of my place. That might buy me an extra foot.....It's 11 feet above sea level and forecasts are for surges between 10 and 15 feet.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:18 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoWahDaddy

Post by DoWahDaddy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:25 pm

always concerns me how many people believe their electric door opener means that without power they will be unable to open their garages.

i will bring the grill into the patio. but that propane tank...not sure what to do with that. propane is heavier than air, so any leaks will stay low, where pilots tend to be. maybe bury it? :)
Me: 75/25 stocks/bonds | Son: 45/45/10 matchbox/hotwheels/thomas & friends

shawcroft

You've got the essentials. Sam!

Post by shawcroft » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:27 pm

Sam I Am:
It appears you have the essential "potable" liquids stocked up to fortify you and the family.
Hope you and we folks up in Connecticut) ride out the storm OK
Shawcroft

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:40 pm

I've been through a couple of hurricanes and can offer some random thoughts which may or may not be helpful if the storm hits your area.

During the storm there is a possibility of cyclones, so, if you don't go to a shelter (which you should if there is any possibility you will be anywhere close to the eyewall), have a secure area set up in advance where you can retreat if necessary. After the storm, there are likely to be lots of downed trees and power lines, so it is not a good idea to go sightseeing. Stick close to home until the power company gets the lines cleared and the road department clears the roads.

Having a good first aid kit on hand would be an excellent idea, there may be no emergency services available for awhile.

After the storm comes through, you are likely to be without electrical power. This means you should find some way to replace your lights. For us, this meant stocking up on flashlight batteries and getting a Coleman lantern and fuel for it. Without electricity, no electric range. We dealt with this by making sure our gas grill had a full tank and by getting a spare. No electricity also meant the refrigerator quit working. We bought a couple of large coolers and lots of ice, but it still only lasted 2 days. Dry ice worked much better than regular ice, it lasted for another day or so. Stocking up on canned goods is not a bad idea either. We didn't, and regretted it. When the ice ran out we cooked everything we could and that lasted awhile. After that, we went over to the hospital cafeteria (the roads were cleared by then) for meals. Hospitals have emergency generators, so they can cook even when all the regular restaurants are shut down.

You may also be without water, so it is a good idea to have some stockpiled. If you want to be able to flush the toilets you will need a lot. We dipped water out of the pool to use to flush toilets and saved the good water for drinking. Speaking of the pool, it might be a good idea to pump it down a little in advance, especially if it would tend to flood the house if it overflowed. Having a bottle of water purification tablets or a good filter would also be a prudent thing to do.

Having some books on hand to read helps alleviate the boredom.

Fill up the cars with gas and have some extra on hand as well, no telling when the service stations will be able to resume operation.

We threw all the lawn furniture in the pool and fished it out afterwards. We put all the potted plants in the garage. We didn't board up the windows and were lucky that nothing hit them.

The power stayed off for 3 days the first time and 4-1/2 days the second time, but I saw on the news some people didn't get power back for a couple of weeks. I feel for them, right after the storm passes through there is still a lot of residual wind, and one can open up the windows and have enough air movement to be pretty comfortable. But after a day or so, the predominant weather returns, which in the South means hot and muggy, really extra-muggy because of all the rain associated with the storm, and it is quite uncomfortable until the power is restored.

Good luck! Be safe, go to a shelter or evacuate if it is going to come close to you.

gatorman
Last edited by gatorman on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:44 pm

My friend is getting married in Central Jersey Saturday so we'll be at the Hilton Saturday/Sunday. I guess we'll buy some water, but that's about it.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:51 pm

For what it is worth --- drinking water cache, no bottles to buy.

I remember reading on www.alpharubicon.com (emergency preparedness website of first responders) about someone using an inexpensive 100 gal. bladder that you throw into a bathtub and fill with water. Pump the water out using a supplied siphon pump. After water service is restored, slit bladder to drain, recycle plastic after use.

"10-minute Emergency Water Cache": http://www.alpharubicon.com/prods/waterbobautomatr.htm

Source listed in story.

Edit after reading source website instructions. Too bad it's not a multi-use item.
Last edited by dratkinson on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:53 pm

I have not read thru all the posts but make sure you have cash on hand

if the power goes, the bank cash machines are down and retailers might not be able to process credit cards

good luck, we are just getting water here in Florida - this time
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:12 pm

DoWahDaddy wrote:always concerns me how many people believe their electric door opener means that without power they will be unable to open their garages.
I'm not sure that my garage door opener is up to code. We have no other access to the garage, and there's no release on the outside to disconnect the motor chain. So, while I can easily open the door when it's disconnected from the motor, I don't have the strength to muscle it against the motor (and I think it would be a pretty hefty effort).

I keep planning to have a release installed, but I always forget.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Old timer's trick

Post by Taylor Larimore » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:14 pm

Hi East Coast Bogleheads:

One old-timer trick is to freeze water containers in your freezer now before the storm (leave air space in the container because frozen water expands).

Use the frozen water to keep food cold and for drinking when the electricity goes off. We use 1-gallon jugs.

Pat and I wish everyone good luck!
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

HearDoc

Post by HearDoc » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:58 pm

Ate all of the ice cream to save it from melting. Will work it off chain-sawing all of the trees that will bite the dust.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:15 pm

Doesn't everybody remember Gloria?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:24 pm

Doesn't everybody remember Gloria?
Yes, I do. Great Van Morrison song..
Gordon

XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:32 pm

People think this is going to be quite serious, egh? I guess hearing the NE states declaring states of emergency is a bit troubling
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

HearDoc

Post by HearDoc » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:46 pm

livesoft wrote:Doesn't everybody remember Gloria?
Yep, I think that's the last time I fired up my generator. I'll see if I can fire it up tomorrow :cry:

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:52 pm

HURRICANE UPDATE FROM FLORIDA:

At this time, the hurricane is supposedly ~250 miles off our shoreline, but it's a huge one, and we're now getting hit by the outer bands. Winds are 20-30 with gusts to 50 and the palm trees are blowing sideways when the wind whips up.

So I'd strongly advise those who are going to be impacted by the actual landfall to take this thing seriously; it's huge and powerful when we can feel the impact this far away from the center of the storm.

Prepare as best you can and then hunker down and good luck! Even without a direct hit, millions of northeasterners will undoubtedly feel the impact in some degree or other.
Last edited by Mel Lindauer on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

slick_dealer_05

Post by slick_dealer_05 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:52 pm

My suggestion -
Stock up on batteries, candles, matches, and toilet paper (apart from food, cash, and water)
If you plan on evacuating, do it before they say it
Fill in your gas tanks TONIGHT and make sure you have additional 5-10 gallon container filled up.

The more you watch news, the scarier it will get...

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:03 pm

gatorman wrote:I've been through a couple of hurricanes and can offer some random thoughts which may or may not be helpful if the storm hits your area.

gatorman
Gatorman,

Thank you very much, this is definitely very useful. To be honest, I have been ignoring Irene until I read your message. It has brought some vivid images that I will try to address tomorrow.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

linuxuser

Post by linuxuser » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:23 pm

I hope it isn't bad, but gatorman's post has me thinking that I will fill the soaking tubs with water for flushing the toilet.

Going to the grocery store tomorrow to buy some bottled water and canned food.

I have gas stove.

I am wonder whether I should evacuate to a hotel in PA.
Anybody thinking about doing that?

grok87

Damp Squib

Post by grok87 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:34 pm

I'm in Northern Jersey and think this thing is way overblown and will end up being nothing- a damp squib.
It's going to trend inland and hit North Carolina hard. By the time it gets to us it will just be rain...
cheers,
"...people always live for ever when there is any annuity to be paid them"- Jane Austen

BGJ

Post by BGJ » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:34 pm

The center of hurricane Ike passed about 5 miles from my house in Seabrook, TX three years ago, and I can tell you if you live in a low lying area close to the coast or a river close to the coast you may want to consider evacuation pretty far inland (where power will be on), especially if you have family or friends there to make it inexpensive and comfortable. We evacuated far inland in 2005 for Rita, and in 2008 for Ike. Rita was not too bad for us if you don't count the 12 hour drive (should be 2 hour) from Houston to Dallas, we left too late. We left early for Ike and our evacuation went pretty well. However, our house had no power or sewer for 6 days after Ike. We started back after 6 days before the power was on, but amazingly it came on about 1 hour before we got back. We did have roof damage and significant water damage inside, but I don't think being here would have affected the outcome, once the water gets in the drywall, ceilings, and floors they are toast pretty quick, and homeowners insurance should cover roof and rain damages, ours did. Also repair services, etc. really can't do too much until power is back on.

If you are going to evacuate, get ready and go early. Then come home when the power is back. We learned this from Ike. Good luck!

woof755

Post by woof755 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:36 pm

Thinking of driving to Asheville or some other place west. Our neighborhood loses electricity when a pine cone drops funny. I assume we'll get plenty o' wind here, 150ish miles away.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

DoWahDaddy

Post by DoWahDaddy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:40 pm

linuxuser wrote:I hope it isn't bad, but gatorman's post has me thinking that I will fill the soaking tubs with water for flushing the toilet.?
Great idea! I hope the wife has no issue with the potential ring.

DoWahDaddy

Post by DoWahDaddy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:40 pm

livesoft wrote:Doesn't everybody remember Gloria?
I think ive got her alias.

woof755

Post by woof755 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:42 pm

BGJ wrote:The center of hurricane Ike passed about 5 miles from my house in Seabrook, TX three years ago, and I can tell you if you live in a low lying area close to the coast or a river close to the coast you may want to consider evacuation pretty far inland (where power will be on), especially if you have family or friends there to make it inexpensive and comfortable. We evacuated far inland in 2005 for Rita, and in 2008 for Ike. Rita was not too bad for us if you don't count the 12 hour drive (should be 2 hour) from Houston to Dallas, we left too late. We left early for Ike and our evacuation went pretty well. However, our house had no power or sewer for 6 days after Ike. We started back after 6 days before the power was on, but amazingly it came on about 1 hour before we got back. We did have roof damage and significant water damage inside, but I don't think being here would have affected the outcome, once the water gets in the drywall, ceilings, and floors they are toast pretty quick, and homeowners insurance should cover roof and rain damages, ours did. Also repair services, etc. really can't do too much until power is back on.

If you are going to evacuate, get ready and go early. Then come home when the power is back. We learned this from Ike. Good luck!
You made great time to Dallas. We spend 8 hours driving 20 miles and gave up, stopping in Katy, from Houston. A friend spent 40 hours getting to Dallas (had a flat and had to turn back, then try again, believe it or not). Evacuation is no joke--leaving early, early, early is the best plan. Oh, and not planning on returning soon after it's over, too!
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

DoWahDaddy

Post by DoWahDaddy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:46 pm

Claude wrote:
DoWahDaddy wrote:always concerns me how many people believe their electric door opener means that without power they will be unable to open their garages.
I'm not sure that my garage door opener is up to code. We have no other access to the garage, and there's no release on the outside to disconnect the motor chain. So, while I can easily open the door when it's disconnected from the motor, I don't have the strength to muscle it against the motor (and I think it would be a pretty hefty effort).

If i was snarky...sincerest of apologies! Im thinking about your setup, is it a turn lock that puts a rod through the track to lock the door when it is turned? The motor is generally not the issue, its usually something physically barring entry that must be overridden hence my thought on the rod.

MWCA

Post by MWCA » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:53 pm

Best of luck everyone.
We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:02 pm

We did things differently with Rita and Ike than what some folks have related here. The eyewall of Ike went over our house. We sheltered in place. Then after a day of no power, we drove to Dallas. There was no reason to go early because we did not live in a low-lying area. The drive then was no slower than on a busy summer weekend.

Folks should pay attention to what their local officials are telling them. The idea that you might drive far away without a compelling reason is amusing. Some folks drove away from Rita, but then Rita changed course to head right at them.

Loss of power and downed trees are not a big deal unless your home is damaged. A day or two of no services is not a big deal as long as you are prepared. A week is something else as many folks know. You should not have to go shopping for at least a week anyways, so what are you gonna spend your cash on?

All homes should be able to withstand 50+ mph winds with ease. Many homes will withstand higher speed winds. The confined area of high wind speeds will be reasonably well-known at least a day ahead of time.

Except for folks in low-lying and coastal areas, I doubt local officials will have you evacuate.

Bonus: Wundeground's Irene link: http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tr ... 01109.html
Last edited by livesoft on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

BGJ

Post by BGJ » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:07 pm

I just realized I said it it should be 2 hours to Dallas from Houston, sorry, it should be 4 hours. The 12 hours it took to get to Dallas for the "late" Rita evacuation was driving time, not counting the 4 hours we slept in the cars in the full hotel parking lot and later on 2 hours resting and showering in my brother's lake house along the way.

The bottom line is still the same, if you need to evacuate plan ahead and leave early, go far enough to be comfortable and have power, and if possible don't come back until the power is on at your house. Good luck again!

MekongTrader

Post by MekongTrader » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:14 pm

Hi all,
I would like to share the following link with you which is superb for tracking tropical storms, hurricanes, etc.

http://www.tropicalstormrisk.com/

It shows you the expected path, category, etc...

You can zoom in to see areas affected

Stay safe!

MT

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:17 pm

ANOTHER UPDATE FROM FLORIDA:

The outer band of the hurricane that I posted about above with the high wind gusts came and went very rapidly. Things seem to have calmed down for now.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:17 pm

This Saturday I was supposed to go to a friend's house on the beach near Cape May, NJ. That's bulls-eye for the hurricane center, and is now under evacuation order.

I also have tickets to the Phillies home game on Sunday.

So....
The party is moved to a western Philly suburb.

The Phillies game is moved to Saturday afternoon.

My spouse bought a generator. I bought the 5 gallon gas container and filled it (he bought a 2nd 5 gallon gas container and filled it, then didn't tell me. Why? I would have never bought 2 of them. He's right :)). We're bringing it online Saturday AM for initial test and running extension cords to the kitchen refrigerator and basement freezer for quick connections.

I also filled the 2 gallon gas container for the lawn mower. I'm thinking I can mow the lawn Friday afternoon.

Desktop PC, laptop, and cellphone are backed up.

We'll move our pet birds into a different room. We're worried about some tall trees that might topple onto this area of the house.
Last edited by LadyGeek on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Ben24

Post by Ben24 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:18 pm

Im in the boston area. Got some water, canned foods and good books.

newbie_Mo

Post by newbie_Mo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:51 pm

I don't have comprehensive coverage on my car, so I will make sure that I don't park my car near any trees on Saturday. Will take out some cash and get some candles tomorrow. We have a camping gas stove if there is no electricity for cooking. That's about it.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:53 pm

DoWahDaddy wrote:
Claude wrote:

If i was snarky...sincerest of apologies! Im thinking about your setup, is it a turn lock that puts a rod through the track to lock the door when it is turned? The motor is generally not the issue, its usually something physically barring entry that must be overridden hence my thought on the rod.
DoWahDaddy, with a great ID like that, I couldn't hold a little snark against you; I do it myself and I would deserve it if I thought human power can't open a garage door :)

I will have to check tomorrow, but there is no lock as such, and hence I don't think there's a rod there (I've had locks on garage doors like that in the past, but I don't think this one has anything like it). When the motor stopped working once in the past (with the door open at the time), I pulled what I call the ripcord, which released the door from the chain and it was relatively easy to open and close (easy enough for me, but too heavy for my wife as there don't appear to be any counterweights).

Having said that, I think I'll pull the ripcord well before weather is expected. However, I think having the drinking water indoors will be better than going out into windy rainy nastiness to get a case, and the door should stay closed if we can (to avoid the snowblower flying down the street). :)

btenny

Post by btenny » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:13 pm

Where are the Nuclear power plants with respect to the shore line and expected path of the hurricane? Are these plants protected from high water? Are they going to shut down these plants or do they have time to shut them down before the hurricane gets there?

Bill

norookie

Re: Old timer's trick

Post by norookie » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:14 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:Hi East Coast Bogleheads:

One old-timer trick is to freeze water containers in your freezer now before the storm (leave air space in the container because frozen water expands).

Use the frozen water to keep food cold and for drinking when the electricity goes off. We use 1-gallon jugs.

Pat and I wish everyone good luck!
SUPER COOL! :D
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:23 pm

you folks might also think about rolling your car (inside the garage) gently against the garage door so that the bumper braces the door.

when we were in NY, one storm rattled the door so much that it pulled the motor and track off the garage ceiling onto the car roof.

in Florida they always talk about preventing a door or window from breaking which can cause the change in air pressure to blow the roof off.

simple precautions that keep you safe and do not drive you crazy as the storm just blows by with no harm - makes for good story telling afterwards...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:30 am

ANOTHER FLORIDA UPDATE:

Irene's eye is now off the coast opposite my coastal location, and we're getting high winds again but now we've got heavy rainstorms, too. We can use the rain, so that's not all bad. Just hope the wind doesn't do a lot of damage or knock out the electricity.

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:58 am

The "cone of death" is headed for our server in NJ. If we lose power for more than a day, expect this site to go offline until it comes back.

carolc

Post by carolc » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:53 am

Things we do:

Like Taylor, we freeze gallon jugs to help keep food frozen longer.
Fill 5-gallon buckets with water for flushing (we're on a well).
Get some 'emergency' cash in case we have to leave.
Get the camp stove out in case we need it to heat food/water.

carolc

marylandcrab

Post by marylandcrab » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:08 am

XtremeSki2001 wrote:My friend is getting married in Central Jersey Saturday so we'll be at the Hilton Saturday/Sunday. I guess we'll buy some water, but that's about it.
Will you be in Long Branch? The storm is supposed to pass right over there and Sandy Hook - they may evacuate that town.