Wanting to buy a snowboard.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rylemdr

Wanting to buy a snowboard.

Post by rylemdr »

I have gone snowboarding(rental board) during the winter season last year and I enjoyed it very much. I decided to buy my own board to save money for the long term. I plan to go snowboarding this upcoming winter season and I want to get my very first snowboard.

Because it is still the summer, I am expecting snow boards would be cheaper this time of year than waiting until winter.

I would classify myself as a beginner snowboarder. I am right handed.

I want an all-mountain snowboard, and my budget is very modest.

My ambition is only to be a casual snowboarder.

Any good ideas for buying a board? Are there good brands I should choose? Are there any websites/places to find good snowboard deals?
pochax

Post by pochax »

check out sierrasnowboard.com to see a decent selection.

there are internet forums for snowboarders as well - a google search should direct you to some of them.

You should buy last year's model (2010/11 season) if you want a nice discount - the new stuff will be coming in October.

i have ridden Gnu, LibTech, and currently have a Rome board (AnthemSS) which i love. i would also consider myself an all-mountain casual/intermediate boarder (an occasional small jump or jib, but nothing special). Burton is the "Nike" of snowboarding - sheer marketing clout and most of their stuff is good but a bit marked-up in price due to their marketshare. There are TONs of brands which are all very good - your personality will guide you to what suits you. my guess is you should stay mainstream like Burton, Rome, K2, etc. (type of stuff you can get at your local shop). if i were to buy a new board this year i would seriously take a look at NeverSummer - they seem to make awesome boards as well.

just as important (if not more important) are the boots and bindings. you should try boots on at local shops to find what size fits best, and then consider seeing if you can get your size for cheaper online. again last year models will be discounted. Tech on these things tend to only get significantly better every 4-5 years so you won't be missing out on much by getting last year models.

have fun!
mt

Post by mt »

Around here (Northern Rockies) the stores usually do not put ski/board equipment out until fall.

I have usually bought new boards either at the end of the season (March) when they are on sale or in the fall when I buy last year's new boards on sale.

Usually there is a good supply of last year's boards in tghe fall. I would call your local sporting goods store and see when they first put them out and go the first week fo best options.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

As a beginner, you should purchase used equipment because you don't know what style you prefer yet. All my friends purchased brand new equipment when we started going skiing/snowboarding and they all all subsequently replaced it with more customized equipment to their tastes a year or two afterwards. At a minimum cost of $500 for all the equipment, it can get pretty pricey. I on the other hand went to a local ski shop and purchased used for about $150. After the first season, I then when to REI sporting goods in the summer to buy last season's equipment on clearance sale.
Topic Author
rylemdr

Post by rylemdr »

Would it be safe to say that I missed out on the sales for this year? Should I wait until next year to buy a snowboard?
hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber »

If you need to ask these questions then you are not ready to buy a snowboard.
Before buying my skis (brand new, online, in August, some years ago) I've rented all kinds of demo skis, tried different brands, shapes, and sizes.

So, I'd recommend not to buy a board this year. Rent different types, shapes, bindings, brands, sizes, etc. and decide which one you like. And then buy it next year.
magellan

Post by magellan »

And for some additional inspiration, you might want to watch the movie trailer for The Art of Flight.

(Note: best watched on fast computer in full screen with at least 720p resolution).

Jim
TRC

Post by TRC »

Hit up your local ski / snowboard swap. They usually hold them in October. You could always check craigslist or ebay as well. Careful buying used though....
pochax

Post by pochax »

rylemdr wrote:Would it be safe to say that I missed out on the sales for this year? Should I wait until next year to buy a snowboard?
absolutely not...once the newer 2011/12 gear starts coming in, then they really discount the old stuff. you may not get exactly what you want but it sounds like you don't really have a special setup in mind. i agree go with some cheaper gear for now or continue to rent. you may want to consider renting demo gear for the year, a bit more expensive than typical rental but usually of higher quality/performance until you figure out what you really want.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Ski swap or craigslist. I wouldn't bother getting a brand new one if I were you. If you get really into it, you'll want to get something better in a couple years. If you don't, you won't have spent too much for a board you enjoy just as much as an expensive one.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course