Car consuming oil - what could the problem be?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Triple digit golfer
Posts: 2928
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Car consuming oil - what could the problem be?

Post by Triple digit golfer » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:44 pm

My car was acting weird today. I was accelerating onto the expressway and it seemed like it was slipping gears or not shifting. I'd get up to around 60 mph or 4,000 RPMs and then it would jolt back and forth as if it was trying to shift and the RPM needle would bounce back and forth around that 4,000 RPM mark.

I took it in and they said I was low on oil but did not have a leak, which means my car is consuming oil. I am taking it back in 1,000 miles to have them check the consumption and we'll go from there.

Any ideas what could cause this and if it is fixable?

Thanks.

User avatar
bottlecap
Posts: 5856
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: Tennessee

Post by bottlecap » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:49 pm

I'm not an expert but know a little because I have a high-milage car. It sounds like you might have two different issues.

JT

Triple digit golfer
Posts: 2928
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Post by Triple digit golfer » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:54 pm

bottlecap wrote:I'm not an expert but know a little because I have a high-milage car. It sounds like you might have two different issues.

JT
I initially thought so but they said with the Honda VTEC engines low oil causes them to rev. I have no idea why but they seemed very confident about that, like it's routine.

livesoft
Posts: 62776
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Post by livesoft » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:11 pm

Transmission oil?
Crankcase oil?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

SPG8
Posts: 357
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:27 am

Re: Car consuming oil - what could the problem be?

Post by SPG8 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:17 pm

Triple digit golfer wrote:Any ideas what could cause this and if it is fixable?
Ours started burning oil (170K). No rev, but oil light came on. Took it in to our mechanic (very bogleish), who said there's nothing to do. Old Hondas are supposedly notorious for it.

Have to drop 3-4 quarts between changes. We'll coax it through the winter and then trade it in towards the end of the following year.

User avatar
Sheepdog
Posts: 5185
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:05 pm
Location: Indiana, retired 1998 at age 65

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:24 pm

Google "Honda oil consumption problem" and "Honda oil engine rev" You will find that others are having similar problems.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

Triple digit golfer
Posts: 2928
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Post by Triple digit golfer » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:01 am

livesoft wrote:Transmission oil?
Crankcase oil?
Engine

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 4363
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Post by Kenkat » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:56 am

If it is a manual transmission, it could also need a new clutch.

User avatar
norookie
Posts: 3016
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:55 pm

Post by norookie » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:09 am

:D If its using oil, its using oil. This usually means the rings are worn,:wink: you said no leak. I'd suggest using a heavier oil, and changing ALL your fluids. Power flushing the tranny forces the "sludge" out of all the tranny's gearing and is not recommended if you have not been changing the tranny fluid every 30k :evil:. I recommend just changing the tranny fluid as you said it seems to be slipping if its a ATF-Z1 tranny. If its manual, as livesoft said, you might need a clutch.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c

Dagwood
Posts: 1025
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: MD

Re: Car consuming oil - what could the problem be?

Post by Dagwood » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:50 am

Triple digit golfer wrote:My car was acting weird today. I was accelerating onto the expressway and it seemed like it was slipping gears or not shifting. I'd get up to around 60 mph or 4,000 RPMs and then it would jolt back and forth as if it was trying to shift and the RPM needle would bounce back and forth around that 4,000 RPM mark.

I took it in and they said I was low on oil but did not have a leak, which means my car is consuming oil. I am taking it back in 1,000 miles to have them check the consumption and we'll go from there.

Any ideas what could cause this and if it is fixable?

Thanks.
Would like to help, but the year and model, as well as engine type, would be helpful. Engines can lose oil for a lot of reasons, some are nothing to worry about, some are.

Triple digit golfer
Posts: 2928
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: Car consuming oil - what could the problem be?

Post by Triple digit golfer » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:18 pm

Dagwood wrote:
Triple digit golfer wrote:My car was acting weird today. I was accelerating onto the expressway and it seemed like it was slipping gears or not shifting. I'd get up to around 60 mph or 4,000 RPMs and then it would jolt back and forth as if it was trying to shift and the RPM needle would bounce back and forth around that 4,000 RPM mark.

I took it in and they said I was low on oil but did not have a leak, which means my car is consuming oil. I am taking it back in 1,000 miles to have them check the consumption and we'll go from there.

Any ideas what could cause this and if it is fixable?

Thanks.
Would like to help, but the year and model, as well as engine type, would be helpful. Engines can lose oil for a lot of reasons, some are nothing to worry about, some are.
2005 Honda Civic EX, 127 HP VTEC four cylinder engine.

Thanks a lot.

Triple digit golfer
Posts: 2928
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Post by Triple digit golfer » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:18 pm

norookie wrote::D If its using oil, its using oil. This usually means the rings are worn,:wink: you said no leak. I'd suggest using a heavier oil, and changing ALL your fluids. Power flushing the tranny forces the "sludge" out of all the tranny's gearing and is not recommended if you have not been changing the tranny fluid every 30k :evil:. I recommend just changing the tranny fluid as you said it seems to be slipping if its a ATF-Z1 tranny. If its manual, as livesoft said, you might need a clutch.
The trans fluid was changed just 5,000 miles ago. I have been doing that every 30,000.

Manbaerpig
Posts: 1368
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:32 am
Location: San Jose

Post by Manbaerpig » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:26 pm

auto tranny? sounds like the transmission is on it's way out (auto tranny slipping is generally a negative indicator)

burning oil? PCV/crankcase vent(s), valvecover seal, valve guides/stems, cylinder rings aka crankcase blow-by, could even be more fun stuff like a cracked head

if this car were a stock, I would short it

User avatar
norookie
Posts: 3016
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:55 pm

Post by norookie » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:48 pm

Triple digit golfer wrote:
norookie wrote::D If its using oil, its using oil. This usually means the rings are worn,:wink: you said no leak. I'd suggest using a heavier oil, and changing ALL your fluids. Power flushing the tranny forces the "sludge" out of all the tranny's gearing and is not recommended if you have not been changing the tranny fluid every 30k :evil:. I recommend just changing the tranny fluid as you said it seems to be slipping if its a ATF-Z1 tranny. If its manual, as livesoft said, you might need a clutch.
The trans fluid was changed just 5,000 miles ago. I have been doing that every 30,000.
Suction flush, or change? I did a suction flush @ 118k because it was recorded as done @ 30/+60k. When I did not own it. Next is a "change". A flush dislodges all the shavings holding the delicate AT gearing together, after not changing it for 100k+ if thats how the auto has been maintained. jus sayin' :wink: If its slippin', and like MBP said, I'd short it too.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c

leonard
Posts: 5993
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:56 am

Re: Car consuming oil - what could the problem be?

Post by leonard » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:53 pm

Triple digit golfer wrote:My car was acting weird today. I was accelerating onto the expressway and it seemed like it was slipping gears or not shifting. I'd get up to around 60 mph or 4,000 RPMs and then it would jolt back and forth as if it was trying to shift and the RPM needle would bounce back and forth around that 4,000 RPM mark.

I took it in and they said I was low on oil but did not have a leak, which means my car is consuming oil. I am taking it back in 1,000 miles to have them check the consumption and we'll go from there.

Any ideas what could cause this and if it is fixable?

Thanks.
Had just about the exact same problem with the old Toyota tercel.

the problem: the rings on the pistons were worn, allowing oil to seep past the cylinders, and get burned wiht the gas. that in turn was fouling the spark plugs. The fouled spark plugs are what caused the pulsating/slipping feel due to inconsistent combustion.

Solution we used was simply have the spark plugs changed each time they became fouled and caused the pulsating.

Ultimately, when simply replacing the spark plugs stopped working,. replacing the rings on the pistons or replacing the engine was going to cost more to repair than the car was worth - by about 3 times what the care was worth. So, we got rid of that car and bought used one.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

Dagwood
Posts: 1025
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: MD

Re: Car consuming oil - what could the problem be?

Post by Dagwood » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:22 pm

Triple digit golfer wrote:
Dagwood wrote:
Triple digit golfer wrote:My car was acting weird today. I was accelerating onto the expressway and it seemed like it was slipping gears or not shifting. I'd get up to around 60 mph or 4,000 RPMs and then it would jolt back and forth as if it was trying to shift and the RPM needle would bounce back and forth around that 4,000 RPM mark.

I took it in and they said I was low on oil but did not have a leak, which means my car is consuming oil. I am taking it back in 1,000 miles to have them check the consumption and we'll go from there.

Any ideas what could cause this and if it is fixable?

Thanks.

Would like to help, but the year and model, as well as engine type, would be helpful. Engines can lose oil for a lot of reasons, some are nothing to worry about, some are.
2005 Honda Civic EX, 127 HP VTEC four cylinder engine.

Thanks a lot.

Ok. Civic engines are fairly durable but every car eventually starts to wear out, even Hondas and despite what you read here to the contrary that the Hondas and Toyotas run forever. They do, kind of, if you overlook alot. But to the specifics: What is the mileage? I also assume you've checked the engine while it is running to confirm that it's not leaking?

Sometimes, if the oil drops below a certain level -- and sometimes it will burn more as it gets dirty, particularly when the motor ages -- you will then see it really start to consume oil. That's the benign explanation -- normal wear and tear with some dirty oil that got too low.

The less benign explanation is that the engine has developed a serious internal issue beyond that of normal wear. To tell the story here without incurring a lot of diagnostic expense in tearing down the motor, I would have your shop perform both leakdown and compression tests. Those tests should involve no more than an hour or so of diagnostic time. Have them done and report back. While forums like these can be helpful, the only way to determine if an engine has normal wear for the mileage versus wear and tear that requires partial or total teardown is to diagnose it "hands-on." That's why you need compression and leakdown.

Malvern
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:18 pm

Post by Malvern » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:40 pm

During the recent transmission fluid flush, was Honda Transmission fluid used? We have a Honda Accord with an automatic transmission and had an issue where it seemed like the transmission was slipping during acceleration. This occurred after having the fluid changed at a local shop. The slipping kept getting worse. Finally, we took the car into the Honda dealership and they said it appeared the torque converter may be bad, but they'd like to try a transmission fluid flush. We agreed and the problem went away. Honda fluid must be used.

Triple digit golfer
Posts: 2928
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Post by Triple digit golfer » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:09 pm

norookie wrote:
Triple digit golfer wrote:
norookie wrote::D If its using oil, its using oil. This usually means the rings are worn,:wink: you said no leak. I'd suggest using a heavier oil, and changing ALL your fluids. Power flushing the tranny forces the "sludge" out of all the tranny's gearing and is not recommended if you have not been changing the tranny fluid every 30k :evil:. I recommend just changing the tranny fluid as you said it seems to be slipping if its a ATF-Z1 tranny. If its manual, as livesoft said, you might need a clutch.
The trans fluid was changed just 5,000 miles ago. I have been doing that every 30,000.
Suction flush, or change? I did a suction flush @ 118k because it was recorded as done @ 30/+60k. When I did not own it. Next is a "change". A flush dislodges all the shavings holding the delicate AT gearing together, after not changing it for 100k+ if thats how the auto has been maintained. jus sayin' :wink: If its slippin', and like MBP said, I'd short it too.
Change. I've never had it flushed. Honda advises against it so I've never done it.

According to the mechanic the transmission is not the problem at all, so at this point I have to assume he's correct. The engine was revving; it felt like it wouldn't shift, but that was due to the revving, which is a reaction due to low oil, at least according to the mechanic. I did a few Google searches and a few other people said the same thing.

Triple digit golfer
Posts: 2928
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: Car consuming oil - what could the problem be?

Post by Triple digit golfer » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:12 pm

Dagwood wrote:
Triple digit golfer wrote:
Dagwood wrote:
Triple digit golfer wrote:My car was acting weird today. I was accelerating onto the expressway and it seemed like it was slipping gears or not shifting. I'd get up to around 60 mph or 4,000 RPMs and then it would jolt back and forth as if it was trying to shift and the RPM needle would bounce back and forth around that 4,000 RPM mark.

I took it in and they said I was low on oil but did not have a leak, which means my car is consuming oil. I am taking it back in 1,000 miles to have them check the consumption and we'll go from there.

Any ideas what could cause this and if it is fixable?

Thanks.
Would like to help, but the year and model, as well as engine type, would be helpful. Engines can lose oil for a lot of reasons, some are nothing to worry about, some are.
2005 Honda Civic EX, 127 HP VTEC four cylinder engine.

Thanks a lot.

Ok. Civic engines are fairly durable but every car eventually starts to wear out, even Hondas and despite what you read here to the contrary that the Hondas and Toyotas run forever. They do, kind of, if you overlook alot. But to the specifics: What is the mileage? I also assume you've checked the engine while it is running to confirm that it's not leaking?

Sometimes, if the oil drops below a certain level -- and sometimes it will burn more as it gets dirty, particularly when the motor ages -- you will then see it really start to consume oil. That's the benign explanation -- normal wear and tear with some dirty oil that got too low.

The less benign explanation is that the engine has developed a serious internal issue beyond that of normal wear. To tell the story here without incurring a lot of diagnostic expense in tearing down the motor, I would have your shop perform both leakdown and compression tests. Those tests should involve no more than an hour or so of diagnostic time. Have them done and report back. While forums like these can be helpful, the only way to determine if an engine has normal wear for the mileage versus wear and tear that requires partial or total teardown is to diagnose it "hands-on." That's why you need compression and leakdown.
It has over 122,000 miles.

I am taking their advice and will take it back in 1,000 miles for them to check the oil consumption. If no oil consumption and everything has been running fine, I have to assume it was a freak thing or at my last oil change they didn't fill it. I will take it in sooner if the symptoms start up again. Today I noticed no symptoms at all.

Triple digit golfer
Posts: 2928
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Post by Triple digit golfer » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:13 pm

Malvern wrote:During the recent transmission fluid flush, was Honda Transmission fluid used? We have a Honda Accord with an automatic transmission and had an issue where it seemed like the transmission was slipping during acceleration. This occurred after having the fluid changed at a local shop. The slipping kept getting worse. Finally, we took the car into the Honda dealership and they said it appeared the torque converter may be bad, but they'd like to try a transmission fluid flush. We agreed and the problem went away. Honda fluid must be used.
Yes, every time I've had it changed I've had it done at the dealer.

User avatar
norookie
Posts: 3016
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:55 pm

Post by norookie » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:21 pm

Triple digit golfer wrote:
norookie wrote:
Triple digit golfer wrote:
norookie wrote::D If its using oil, its using oil. This usually means the rings are worn,:wink: you said no leak. I'd suggest using a heavier oil, and changing ALL your fluids. Power flushing the tranny forces the "sludge" out of all the tranny's gearing and is not recommended if you have not been changing the tranny fluid every 30k :evil:. I recommend just changing the tranny fluid as you said it seems to be slipping if its a ATF-Z1 tranny. If its manual, as livesoft said, you might need a clutch.
The trans fluid was changed just 5,000 miles ago. I have been doing that every 30,000.
Suction flush, or change? I did a suction flush @ 118k because it was recorded as done @ 30/+60k. When I did not own it. Next is a "change". A flush dislodges all the shavings holding the delicate AT gearing together, after not changing it for 100k+ if thats how the auto has been maintained. jus sayin' :wink: If its slippin', and like MBP said, I'd short it too.
Change. I've never had it flushed. Honda advises against it so I've never done it.

According to the mechanic the transmission is not the problem at all, so at this point I have to assume he's correct. The engine was revving; it felt like it wouldn't shift, but that was due to the revving, which is a reaction due to low oil, at least according to the mechanic. I did a few Google searches and a few other people said the same thing.
Not trying to discourage ya', but it does not sound good, or a inexpensive fix. Revving changes the gears, depending on the tranny. If you've noticed a "difference" in your ride, and it's the tranny, mechanics will screw w/you like a cat with a ball of yarn. I'd use it till I found a new 2U used auto, ASAP. JMO Mines 160k...I'm taking it in for all fluid, filter changes tomorrow, another 30k is up. :? Except the cabin filter :roll: GOOD LUCK!
Last edited by norookie on Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c

Triple digit golfer
Posts: 2928
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Post by Triple digit golfer » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:23 pm

norookie wrote:
Triple digit golfer wrote:
norookie wrote:
Triple digit golfer wrote:
norookie wrote::D If its using oil, its using oil. This usually means the rings are worn,:wink: you said no leak. I'd suggest using a heavier oil, and changing ALL your fluids. Power flushing the tranny forces the "sludge" out of all the tranny's gearing and is not recommended if you have not been changing the tranny fluid every 30k :evil:. I recommend just changing the tranny fluid as you said it seems to be slipping if its a ATF-Z1 tranny. If its manual, as livesoft said, you might need a clutch.
The trans fluid was changed just 5,000 miles ago. I have been doing that every 30,000.
Suction flush, or change? I did a suction flush @ 118k because it was recorded as done @ 30/+60k. When I did not own it. Next is a "change". A flush dislodges all the shavings holding the delicate AT gearing together, after not changing it for 100k+ if thats how the auto has been maintained. jus sayin' :wink: If its slippin', and like MBP said, I'd short it too.
Change. I've never had it flushed. Honda advises against it so I've never done it.

According to the mechanic the transmission is not the problem at all, so at this point I have to assume he's correct. The engine was revving; it felt like it wouldn't shift, but that was due to the revving, which is a reaction due to low oil, at least according to the mechanic. I did a few Google searches and a few other people said the same thing.
Not trying to discourage ya', but it does not sound good, or a inexpensive fix. Revving changes the gears, depending on the tranny. If you've noticed a "difference" in your ride, and it's the tranny, mechanics will screw w/you like a cat with a ball of yarn. I'd use it till I found a new 2U used auto, ASAP. JMO
I'm just going to play it by ear. If I have to buy a new car, I'll buy a new car. But it could be any number of things. Let's not diagnose a simple bodyache that could possibly be cured with Advil as terminal cancer just yet! :)

Dagwood
Posts: 1025
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: MD

Re: Car consuming oil - what could the problem be?

Post by Dagwood » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:20 am

Triple digit golfer wrote:
It has over 122,000 miles.

I am taking their advice and will take it back in 1,000 miles for them to check the oil consumption. If no oil consumption and everything has been running fine, I have to assume it was a freak thing or at my last oil change they didn't fill it. I will take it in sooner if the symptoms start up again. Today I noticed no symptoms at all.
That sounds like a reasonable plan. It always pays to start with checking simpler and less dire solutions than assuming you have a blown motor. At north of 100k miles, a car using a quart or so of oil between 5k mile chnages, maybe even a bit more, is not a big deal. More than that would be cause for some concern. But even then, if you can slow the consumption down with a slightly heavier oil I would not be too worried. People forget cars have dipsticks because oil sometimes does get consumed and it needs to be checked. If that never happened, why have a dipstick or low oil level light? You get the idea.

If the car continues to use a lot of oil, I would then have the shop to compression and leakdown before opening anything up, as this is a relatively simple way to tell how healthy the motor is. Kind of like doing a body scan instead of invasive surgery for diagnostic purposes. Good luck.

NateW
Posts: 448
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Car consuming oil - what could the problem be?

Post by NateW » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:05 am

Triple digit golfer wrote:
Dagwood wrote:
Triple digit golfer wrote:My car was acting weird today. I was accelerating onto the expressway and it seemed like it was slipping gears or not shifting. I'd get up to around 60 mph or 4,000 RPMs and then it would jolt back and forth as if it was trying to shift and the RPM needle would bounce back and forth around that 4,000 RPM mark.

I took it in and they said I was low on oil but did not have a leak, which means my car is consuming oil. I am taking it back in 1,000 miles to have them check the consumption and we'll go from there.

Any ideas what could cause this and if it is fixable?

Thanks.
Would like to help, but the year and model, as well as engine type, would be helpful. Engines can lose oil for a lot of reasons, some are nothing to worry about, some are.
2005 Honda Civic EX, 127 HP VTEC four cylinder engine.

Thanks a lot.
My son's '03 Civic uses about a quart of oil every 1200 miles too. 120,000 miles on it. Like mentioned before, I think Honda may have an issue. I am looking into it as well.

Low engine oil (or engine oil use) shoulsd have no bearing on any type of acceleration problem, like the one you reported (unless it is so low the engine seizes). This must be another issue.

Worn cylinders/rings and worn valve guides and valve guide seals can cause excess engine oil usage.

--Nate

cyfan
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:53 pm

Post by cyfan » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:54 pm

If oil consumption takes a drastic jump over a relative short period of time like since your last oil change, try replacing the PCV valve. They typically cost about $10 to $15 and are normally easy to change.

If your oil usage has changed more gradually over time, it is not that unusual to use a quart between normal oil change intervals as cars age especially after 100K miles.

zinnia
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:13 pm

Post by zinnia » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:16 pm

I'd be trading it in...pronto.....

newbie_Mo
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:28 pm

Post by newbie_Mo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:53 pm

I have a '99 toyota corolla eq. that has 130k miles on it. It has been consuming oil too. What I find is that it consumes lots of oil when it goes on highway, but not much with city driving. Because I barely on the highway it is ok with me. With city driving, I do not have to replenish the engine oil between oil change (3k miles). When I drive on highway at a speed of 60 mph, I would need about 4L of engine oil per 500 miles. I was using Castrol high mileage engine oil and oil from my mechanic.

Because my engine was burning so much oil on highway, I took the chance and changed my oil to Havoline conventional oil. I bought the 5L Havoline and filter at Advance Auto for $16 and my mechanic changed the oil for me. This oil is so much better than the Castrol.. I now use 1L of oil per 500 highway miles. A huge improvement. I could probably use the heavier engine oil instead of the 5w-30 to further reduce the consumption, but I really don't drive on highway much so I am ok with this 1L oil consumption. I may look for the Havoline High Millage engine oil see if it is better than the conventional (only if the prices are similar).

User avatar
Mister Whale
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:39 am

Post by Mister Whale » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:39 pm

This is totally out of left field.

But I would check to make sure that your battery connections are tight. If one/both of the connections are loose, a sympathetic vibration could cause them to "disconnect" or "float" at a particular RPM. This could cause misfiring of the engine, odd instrument behavior, and/or poor shifting (I'm assuming an electronically controlled transmission here), among other issues.

And I think that the oil consumption issue is a red herring.

Hope it's something simple, whatever it is.
" ... advice is most useful and at its best, not when it is telling you what to do, but when it is illuminating aspects of the situation you hadn't thought about." --nisiprius

kraftwerk
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:56 pm

Post by kraftwerk » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:12 pm

Do you do your own oil changes? Maybe it just got under filled it last time.

That sounds like "limp mode". When the oil pressure gets low on VTEC engines it won't let you go over a certain RPM in order to protect the engine.

You could go to Autozone or somewhere and have them check the car for error codes, then google the code.

Post Reply