Found 6 kittens in storage space. What to do?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rylemdr

Found 6 kittens in storage space. What to do?

Post by rylemdr »

My family and I found 6 kittens in a storage area of ours. I don't think they are that newly born because they already have fur. We found the mom(or dad) coming over a few times.

What do I do?
Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong »

I would rebalance. It won't get rid of all them, but it will take a few off your hands. If your IPS calls for rebalancing only once a year, I would highly recommend making an exception in this case.
Topic Author
rylemdr

Post by rylemdr »

Ping Pong wrote:I would rebalance. It won't get rid of all them, but it will take a few off your hands. If your IPS calls for rebalancing only once a year, I would highly recommend making an exception in this case.
Clever, but not very helpful.. :?
Indices

Post by Indices »

My parents had the same problem. Call the local animal control office and they will send someone over to put in traps. They will trap all the cats and send them to the humane society to be adopted or euthanized.
xerty24

Post by xerty24 »

nothing?
dbonnett

Post by dbonnett »

See if any local Pet Shops are interested
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

At a minimum I'd pay to have the kittens spayed.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

There are programs to have feral cats spayed and then returned to their home location.
tyrion

Post by tyrion »

You could check for any local kitten rescue groups. They will take them in, spay/neuter them, give them any appropriate shots, foster them, and eventually put them up for adoption.

Any chance you have 6 children? And one of the kittens is an albino?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Ditto on what retiredjg said. It's a feral cat family, being taken care of by Mom and Dad.

You don't need to do anything, but you should intervene to have them spayed / neutered, or call your local animal control for assistance.

As compensation for your care, your rodent problem is well under control. And probably a few rabbits, squirrels, and birds.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ugakbk

Post by ugakbk »

tyrion wrote:Any chance you have 6 children? And one of the kittens is an albino?
Great reference(and name), Tyrion
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I suppose it is possible this could be a neighbor's cat who just had her kittens in your shed. Is the adult feral or tame?

Either way, the kittens probably need to go away or get fixed to avoid a long term over-population problem.
expat

Post by expat »

Find people to adopt them.
Abe

Post by Abe »

We had two female cats. One had five kittens and the other had six at the same time. We ran an ad in the local paper for free kittens. Got rid of all but one. He turned out to be a male and we have had him for about three years.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Stray cats are bad news. Take them to the pound....they'll get adopted or killed, but either is better than just leaving them.
second-guesser

Post by second-guesser »

If the mother cat is feral and the kittens are over six weeks old it is very difficult to tame the kittens. [age of kitten -one inch of length of kitten equals one week of age] My shelter and humane society do not capture feral cats. ( since I live in Texas I guess I am just suppose to "shoot em." } I recently had the same problem when a feral cat had four kittens. I trapped one of the kittens but he got out of the trap when transferring to a cage. Wow , was he wild , jumping up and down like the exorcist ! I am in the process of trapping the cats to take to a low cost neutering clinic. They will then be released after tip of ear removed for marking. Many cities will treat feral cats to avoid overpopulation. Hopefully your kittens are domestic. I know the lives of feral cats are tough and I do not want my neighborhood over- populated with cats or I would not fool with them. Plus I am an animal lover. Incidently I have been feeding them and they are semi -tame but cannot be touched.

S-G
woof755

Post by woof755 »

Are you in a rural, or urban area?

As an example, my parents house has a barn (vestige of a bygone era). They don't farm, but they do keep cats around to hunt mice and chipmunks. They almost never turn down a cat (their lifespan is unfortunately short--our neighbors have mean dogs...that is another story).

Anyways, some folks welcome the hungry bellies as something that can be filled with vermin.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
jlg

Post by jlg »

Call your local ASPCA or animal hospital. They can give you the best guidance and connect you with any local organizations (or work with you directly.)

Cats are the best and they need homes.
Last edited by jlg on Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

retiredjg wrote:I suppose it is possible this could be a neighbor's cat who just had her kittens in your shed. Is the adult feral or tame?

Either way, the kittens probably need to go away or get fixed to avoid a long term over-population problem.
That's what I would wonder about as well.
Billpers

Post by Billpers »

A local mom-and-pop pet shop takes some unwanted kittens, vaccinates them, and sells them for a minimum of $150.

That's $150 for a plain old alley cat, the kind that is always available at no cost from people like rylemdr!

The economy can't be that bad.

Bill
rocket

drown unwanted puppies and kittens

Post by rocket »

Yo are supposed to drown unwanted puppies and kittens.
Topic Author
rylemdr

Post by rylemdr »

tyrion wrote:You could check for any local kitten rescue groups. They will take them in, spay/neuter them, give them any appropriate shots, foster them, and eventually put them up for adoption.

Any chance you have 6 children? And one of the kittens is an albino?
Hah! I'm one of the people who gets this reference.

Sadly, no. They are ordinary kitties anyway and would not make good sigils. If they were dire kitties, then that's another story ;)

I don't know what to do with them at this point. My brother was like, "let's sell them and make a load of money", but I don't think anyone would buy mutt kittens(muttens?).

I have an idea of putting up a website though.

paymeorkittydies.com

There can be a countdown timer to when I'm gonna kill kitty if no one buys him/her. :twisted:

Seriously though, I tried calling the local animal pound, and they say they don't pick up cats, and that if we wanted, we could drop them off ourselves.

I don't see why it matters if it is a cat or dog. Pounds should pick them up I think.
raisin mountaineer

Post by raisin mountaineer »

Sad to say, I would take them to the humane society. I did this with feral kittens that were in my back yard. The neighbors can't bother to neuter their pets, and I'm very allergic. It was super hard to do-- the lady at the desk told me they would be put down-- but when I think of the toll that un-managed cats take on migratory songbirds, I knew my decision.
Topic Author
rylemdr

Post by rylemdr »

It's kind of sad for me to be thinking of putting down these kitties. They were just born not too long ago, and now their lives are going to end :(
expat

Post by expat »

Put them in a box, go downtown to a busy sidewalk and wait. They will be gone in 30 minutes.
Minot

Post by Minot »

Google no-kill shelter for your area.

Minot
Valuethinker

Re: Found 6 kittens in storage space. What to do?

Post by Valuethinker »

rylemdr wrote:My family and I found 6 kittens in a storage area of ours. I don't think they are that newly born because they already have fur. We found the mom(or dad) coming over a few times.

What do I do?
Get advice from local humane society.

Someone was cruel in not spaying their female cat.

The kittens need a parent to nurture them to a certain point, then they can be separated and placed out for adoption.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Valuethinker wrote:
rylemdr wrote:My family and I found 6 kittens in a storage area of ours. I don't think they are that newly born because they already have fur. We found the mom(or dad) coming over a few times.

What do I do?
Get advice from local humane society.

Someone was cruel in not spaying their female cat.

The kittens need a parent to nurture them to a certain point, then they can be separated and placed out for adoption.
If the mother is a feral cat, then she does not belong to anyone and it is unreasonable to say that any person was "cruel".
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I suggest that you find a pit bull to take care of them. http://www.castanet.net/news/Offbeat/62 ... -vs-kitten

This film is funny and compassionate showing how love can happen with different species.
Last edited by Sheepdog on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Sheepdog wrote:I suggest that you find a pit bull to take care of them. http://www.castanet.net/news/Offbeat/62 ... -vs-kitten
There's a laugh out loud moment in there at about 1:16 . :lol:
kyounge1956

Re: drown unwanted puppies and kittens

Post by kyounge1956 »

rocket wrote:Yo are supposed to drown unwanted puppies and kittens.
You are NOT supposed to drown unwanted puppies and kittens. Of the ideas presented so far I think either a no-kill shelter or trap/neuter/release are the best, unless OP is willing to give one or more of them a home. Even if neither is available, and there are no homes for the kittens, they should be taken to the pound where they will be euthanized if nobody adopts them.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

kyounge1956 wrote:
You are NOT supposed to drown unwanted puppies and kittens. Of the ideas presented so far I think either a no-kill shelter or trap/neuter/release are the best, unless OP is willing to give one or more of them a home. Even if neither is available, and there are no homes for the kittens, they should be taken to the pound where they will be euthanized if nobody adopts them.
Who says?
kyounge1956

Post by kyounge1956 »

rylemdr wrote:My family and I found 6 kittens in a storage area of ours. I don't think they are that newly born because they already have fur. (snip)
Kittens have fur from birth, they are not born naked like rats or mice. Are their eyes still closed? If so they are most likely under two weeks old—too young to be separated from their mother
LadyGeek wrote:Ditto on what retiredjg said. It's a feral cat family, being taken care of by Mom and Dad.
I do not think tomcats help support the kittens. They have other things on their minds, like marking their territory with stinky urine, fighting each other and mating with as many females as they can find.
leonard

Post by leonard »

Turn them in to either a no kill shelter or animal control.

If you have become attached to them, when you turn them in to the pound, you can always leave your name to call you if they don't get adopted.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
kyounge1956

Post by kyounge1956 »

dm200 wrote:
kyounge1956 wrote:
Who says?
I do, and probably the relevant animal cruelty laws at OP's location would back me up. Drowning is not a humane way to put down an unwanted animal.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

kyounge1956 wrote:[hey have other things on their minds, like marking their territory with stinky urine, fighting each other and mating with as many females as they can find.
Hmmm......

(Sorry, I just could not resist! :P )
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

I am utterly horrified at some of these responses.

What would I do. Get them neutered, then return them and feed them and keep a regular eye on them. Thats what I would do.

BTW - the albino, if it has blue eyes, is likely deaf and could easily end up being shunted out as the runt of the litter.
SSN688

Feral kittens

Post by SSN688 »

Rocket: You are one sick person. Get help...serious, professional counseling.

My wife and I have been faced with this a couple times. HongKonger is right. Capture them with a humane trap, get them neutered/spayed, and return them to the outside, unless you can keep them or find them good homes. Responses on this thread says alot about some folks.

A good man takes care of his animals, but wicked men are cruel to theirs. Proverbs 12:10
LH

Post by LH »

HongKonger wrote:I am utterly horrified at some of these responses.

What would I do. Get them neutered, then return them and feed them and keep a regular eye on them. Thats what I would do.

BTW - the albino, if it has blue eyes, is likely deaf and could easily end up being shunted out as the runt of the litter.
Sounds like you have an offer for adoption.

I would mail them to hongkonger : )
thewatcher

Post by thewatcher »

Curry them. Nothing is wasted in a good curry. Personally I'd go for a Vindaloo but appreciate that others might wimp out with a Madras or even, god-forbid, a Korma.

But watch out for small bones.
investnoob

Post by investnoob »

Sheepdog wrote:I suggest that you find a pit bull to take care of them. http://www.castanet.net/news/Offbeat/62 ... -vs-kitten

This film is funny and compassionate showing how love can happen with different species.
Perfect song for that video. It is synchronised perfectly, also.
TJAJ9

Post by TJAJ9 »

It's a shame somebody didn't drown you when you were just born. People with your mindset are a waste to society. Sorry, just telling it like it is.
Last edited by TJAJ9 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TJAJ9

Post by TJAJ9 »

dm200 wrote:
kyounge1956 wrote:
Who says?
Common sense. Drowning is a very painful way to die. Wow... :roll:

Go try to drown yourself, then get back to me.
TJAJ9

Post by TJAJ9 »

thewatcher wrote:Curry them. Nothing is wasted in a good curry. Personally I'd go for a Vindaloo but appreciate that others might wimp out with a Madras or even, god-forbid, a Korma.

But watch out for small bones.
I'd curry you, then feed you to some bears.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Are the kittens cute? Post some pictures,

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

What do I do?
Call Animal Control.
kyounge1956

Post by kyounge1956 »

VictoriaF wrote:Are the kittens cute? Post some pictures,

Victoria
Kittens are cute by definition. :wink: But pictures would be nice too.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Sheepdog wrote:I suggest that you find a pit bull to take care of them. http://www.castanet.net/news/Offbeat/62 ... -vs-kitten.
That pit bull has provided the kitten with more stimulation than Baby Einstein would!

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

That's outstanding. Thanks for posting.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

TJAJ9 wrote:
It's a shame somebody didn't drown you when you were just born. People with your mindset are a waste to society. Sorry, just telling it like it is.
I suggest you avoid personal and mean-spirited attacks.