Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mapleosb

Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by mapleosb » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:04 am

Since retirement, we have enjoyed taking long road trips to see and enjoy our beautiful country.

One of the drawbacks is that neither of our vehicles has comfortable front seats for the drives. The time has come to replace one of these and I would appreciate any comments from those who have found a comfortable front seat vehicle they would recommend.

Thanks for the help!

tomander

Post by tomander » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:59 am

Toyota Avalon has confortable front and back seats.

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:06 am

My 1975 Electra had awesome seats.

ginyah

Post by ginyah » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:35 am

My 2003 Camry has the most comfortable ride I've ever had. Everyone who has ridden in my car says the same. I don't ever want to replace it.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:51 am

Our 2007 Merc Montego has firm leather seats. I've driven it 600 miles in a day several times and love the firmer seats. It's far more comfortable than my wife's car. I won't name the make or model.
Knowledge is knowing that the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing better than to put the tomato in a fruit salad.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:52 am

Try a Volvo? - not the flashiest cars but they spend a lot of time developing and have what many consider the worlds best seats.

soaring

Post by soaring » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:15 am

In 1997 we bought a Toyota Avalon and kept it until 6 months ago. The seats were terrible. When looking for a new vehicle earlier this year we fell in love with the seats in the Toyota Venza.

Just sit in the seats if you do nothing else so you can compare to others.
Desiderata

norookie

Post by norookie » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:23 am

:D Make sure they'll fit, you might have to drill new holes in the floor of the auto and make sure they ride the rails of the seatings range of adjustment. FWIW.<shrug> :wink:
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c

bstevlin

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by bstevlin » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:31 am

mapleosb wrote:Since retirement, we have enjoyed taking long road trips to see and enjoy our beautiful country.

One of the drawbacks is that neither of our vehicles has comfortable front seats for the drives. The time has come to replace one of these and I would appreciate any comments from those who have found a comfortable front seat vehicle they would recommend.

Thanks for the help!

Do not buy a Honda Accord. We had a 2004 EXL and a 2007 EXL. Both were terrible for seating and road noise. We have a 2006 Acura MDX which has very good seat comfort with minimal road noise.

Indices

Post by Indices » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:33 am

Buy aftermarket seat cushions. I am sure there are some out there that are far better than anything the car manufacturers will ever put in their cars.

mapleosb

Post by mapleosb » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:46 am

bstevlin wrote:Do not buy a Honda Accord. We had a 2004 EXL and a 2007 EXL. Both were terrible for seating and road noise. We have a 2006 Acura MDX which has very good seat comfort with minimal road noise.

Thanks for all the replies.

I absolutely agree with you on this one. We have a Honda CRV and an Accord. The seats in the Accord will wreck my back in an hour or so, hard as rocks, and, the road noise is terrible. As much As I have liked Honda for reliability, The car seems uncomfortable to us.

I had a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee which had some of the best seats I have ever had and haven't been able to duplicate those since without going to a massive touring car like a Town Car, Grand Marquis, etc.

I would love to be able to get a Toyota Highlander Hybrid type if I can find comfortable seats.

mapleosb

Post by mapleosb » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:47 am

Indices wrote:Buy aftermarket seat cushions. I am sure there are some out there that are far better than anything the car manufacturers will ever put in their cars.

Are you suggesting add on, removable cushions, or someplace that can redo the seats after market?

Thanks

Indices

Post by Indices » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:55 am

mapleosb wrote:
Indices wrote:Buy aftermarket seat cushions. I am sure there are some out there that are far better than anything the car manufacturers will ever put in their cars.

Are you suggesting add on, removable cushions, or someplace that can redo the seats after market?

Thanks

I would put special car seat pads on top of the seats. I think you can get a good pair for 100 bucks. Check Amazon or some other big sales sight that has reviews. Buy the best reviewed one. I would not buy a new car solely to get better seating.

sport

Post by sport » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:06 am

I would suggest that comfort is an individual thing depending on your height, weight, and personal preferences. If you are going to buy a new vehicle, go to a dealer and try them out. When you do this, pay attention to the different trim levels of the vehicles. The fancier models may have better seats. If you find one you think you like, but are not sure, rent one for a few days and drive it enough to make an informed decision. Asking others for an opinion is problematic because what one person finds comfortable, another person will dislike.

Jeff

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:29 am

I find that a more upright seating position is more comfortable for long drives. This typically means a large sedan, an SUV or a van.

I know minivans are not glamorous, but I can drive for 12+ hours on family vacations in our Dodge Caravan without fatigue but anything over 2-3 hours in my Camry and I need a break.

Khanmots

Post by Khanmots » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:38 am

jsl11 wrote:I would suggest that comfort is an individual thing depending on your height, weight, and personal preferences. If you are going to buy a new vehicle, go to a dealer and try them out. When you do this, pay attention to the different trim levels of the vehicles. The fancier models may have better seats. If you find one you think you like, but are not sure, rent one for a few days and drive it enough to make an informed decision. Asking others for an opinion is problematic because what one person finds comfortable, another person will dislike.

Jeff

This.

For an example consider the Honda Accord others have called out as bad. A year or two back my parents drove their Accord from Texas to Alaska (and a lot of other places) and back. They find the seats to be pretty good... for them! Others obviously think different.

Only way you'll know what's "good" is to go sit in a lot and find what works for you. Should be fun! :)

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:38 am

To me the leather seats are the most uncomfortable. My first Buick LeSabre had cloth seats and was the most comfortable car I ever had. Then I made the mistake of buying another Buick with leather seats. Big mistake.

I am 6ft2 and so I need a big vehicle. The most comfortable vehicle I ever had is my 2010 Ford F-150 with cloth seats. We drive it from Ohio to the West Coast and back and love the comfort.
Living off the land is a family tradition.

FlyHi

Post by FlyHi » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:40 am

Having had serious back surgery seat comfort is of unmost importance to me. My gf also has a bad back. I have found that over the years mini-vans have the most comfortable seats to fit my needs and they are perfect for holding the gear you need for long trips. I currently own a 2008 Toyota Sienna which is great over short & long hauls. I have owned a Camry and found it to be very comfortable too.
“If you want to feel rich, just count the things you have that money can't buy”

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:50 am

As already mentioned, your anatomy is going to be a big factor in seat comfort. For example, if your femur is long, then many car seats will not have the support you probably need because they are too small.

Let's just hope that both your femurs are the same size. If your spouse (the "we" in your OP) is quite a different size from you, you may have difficulty appeasing both of you.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

chaz

Post by chaz » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:03 pm

I like Camry.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

CABob

Post by CABob » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:31 pm

Fully adjustable power seats help a lot. On a long drive I find myself adjusting several times, forward/backward, tilt, back slant, lumbar support, etc.
Bob

jeffro

Post by jeffro » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:49 pm

tomander wrote:Toyota Avalon has confortable front and back seats.

+1 for Avalon

BertB

Post by BertB » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:22 pm

My folks left me 2 big gas-guzzling tanks when they died. A Taurus and a Sable. Pretty exciting cars, huh? I'm more of a Toyota/Nissan type buyer, but the super-comfy seats in my parent's old party barges gradually got me hooked on comfort. FYI, I am a 150 pounder, not a wide body.

I rented an Altima and a Sonata for about a week each. Wifey likes the Sonata, but the passenger seat was not too good for me. The Altima was okay, but the over-shoulder rear visibility factor left me wanting.

I'll be renting a Camry soon. I know the Camry is not a very exciting option, but I'm giving extra points for comfort. We'll see.

It takes me a while to get the feel of the front seats. Hours, or days.

(I wish I could rent some new beds for a week, cuz I don't think the 10 minute showroom nap tells you enough)

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:46 pm

I have an '07 Honda Pilot, seats are very comfortable and are also heated. If I get up in the morning with a backache, I just need to turn on the heated seat and by the time I get to work, it has pretty much disappeared.

camper

Post by camper » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:56 pm

I recently took a road trip to San Diego with friend who has a Chrysler 300. It had very comfy seats.
My goal: "One day I might wake up and decide to call in "rich"!" :D ~posted by bhsince87

bombcar

Post by bombcar » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:15 pm

Go talk to the local rental agency, say you'd like to try a number of different cars. It'd cost a bit, but you could rent a different car every few days and find what you like the feel of.

Or you could talk to the dealer and just sit in a car for a few hours at a time. :)

leonard

Post by leonard » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:35 pm

Toyota Matrix (2008) has by far the most comfortable front/driver seat I have ever tried. Seat is relatively high, so you don't have to crouch or "fall" in to the seat. You sit up in a comfortable position, w/o feeling like you are sitting on the floor. It is the best.

No other car - even luxury cars - have even come close.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:02 pm

I have a Toyota Highlander and a Lexus ES 350 and both have extremely comfortable front seats. This was a prerequisite for me buying the cars.
Mike

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:05 pm

bstevlin wrote:
mapleosb wrote:Since retirement, we have enjoyed taking long road trips to see and enjoy our beautiful country.

Thanks for the help!

Do not buy a Honda Accord. We had a 2004 EXL and a 2007 EXL. Both were terrible for seating and road noise. We have a 2006 Acura MDX which has very good seat comfort with minimal road noise.

I had to return a 2009 Honda because the seats were so uncomfortable
Mike

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:53 am

Instead of changing cars or car seats, try this: Obus Ultra Forme. It's done wonders for my back and made multi-hour drives comfortable.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:47 am

Any car that markets itself as 'sporty' will have narrow seats. I'm 200 lbs, 6'2" and had a very uncomfortable drive up to Nor Cal two weeks ago from Los Angeles on a G35S. My Nissan Altima has a much more comfortable front and rear seating.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:51 am

Volvo has the most comfortable seats I've ever experienced regardless of vehicle price. Good for short and long trips. I have a 1995 850 with 190k miles and the seats are still as comfortable as when the car was brand new, but the leather is getting a bit worn.

.... Fletch
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

Puakinekine

Post by Puakinekine » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:03 pm

gatorman wrote:I have an '07 Honda Pilot, seats are very comfortable and are also heated. If I get up in the morning with a backache, I just need to turn on the heated seat and by the time I get to work, it has pretty much disappeared.

This is why individual body type is so important. I have a 2005 Honda Pilot and have never been comfortable in the seats. It is worse when I am in the front passenger seat as there is no steering wheel to hold onto to keep me from swaying from side to side. I have a long torso in proportion to the rest of me and in general Japanese vehicles are not very comfortable for me. We've several over the years.

Ricola

Post by Ricola » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:13 pm

I think car seats along with safety have improved in most makes, but traditionally Volvo has been know for putting in the best (orthopedic design) seats for many years. I have owned 2 Volvo's and found them superior to most any other car seat.

pip

Post by pip » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:30 pm

We have driven across country a couple of times with an F150. Sit up straight. The seats move up and down forward and back. Plenty of room in the back seat for dog. Automatic everything,. We chose the 4.6 liter engine to tow trailers. 20 MPG.

Howie

Post by Howie » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:03 pm

Saabs up until 2007 or so...once GM really got its clutches into them...had seats which were arguably the most comfortable in the market.

Chuck T

Post by Chuck T » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:30 pm

I have a late model Toyota Camry and Nissan Altima. The Camry is the top of the line model and the Altima is the basic model. The Altima by far has the more comfortable front seats. Everyone in my extended family agrees. Suggest you go to a dealership and try them for yourself. Good luck.
Chuck | Past Performance Is Just That - bob | For info on the SC LowCountry & Savannah GA Area Bogleheads contact me at chucktanner46@gmail.com

Rosebud

Post by Rosebud » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:53 pm

Volvo is by far the best in my experience. I was having trouble with my back and took a four hour trip with a friend on mine in her Volvo many years ago and I realized it was the first long car trip in quite some time where my back didn't bother me. I've owned three Volvos since then and just love their seats.

Stonebr

Post by Stonebr » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:10 pm

tomander wrote:Toyota Avalon has confortable front and back seats.

+1 My father in law has an Avalon that is quite comfy. I find most Japanese car seats beneath contempt, but the Avalon is a winner. The worst seats on the planet are in the Toyota Corolla -- designed by sadistic fiends.

Those expensive European cars have very nice seats that stay supportive all day long. Think Volvo, Mercedes-Benz, BMW. I drive a Volvo and am happy. My wife has a Corolla, and I start squirming after half an hour.

Most seats feel fine when you first sit down, but it's in hours 6-16 that you get killed with most cars.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear

johnp2

Post by johnp2 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:41 pm

hicabob wrote:Try a Volvo? - not the flashiest cars but they spend a lot of time developing and have what many consider the worlds best seats.

I agree with Volvo recommendation. My XC70 is most comfortable vehicle I owned. Still comfortable with 119K miles on it.

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:37 pm

The only way to gather the information you need is by keister testing the seats yourselves.

I'm so very seat sensitive that it is my first criterion in choosing a car. For me, German cars tend to be best and American cars the worst - German seats tend to be firm and supportive, while American seats are wide and plush. But that's me - maybe wide and plush is what works for you. So if you're looking for online guidance, give examples of comfortable and uncomfortable seats and maybe someone can recommend similar cars for you to try out.

mapleosb

Post by mapleosb » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:31 pm

SVariance1 wrote:I have a Toyota Highlander and a Lexus ES 350 and both have extremely comfortable front seats. This was a prerequisite for me buying the cars.

Final outcome on this...

Purchased the Highlander Limited. Super quiet and after an 1125 mile road trip, no back pain at all. The seats worked out great...just what we were looking for.

Thanks Mike and all for the suggestions.

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Mon May 09, 2016 4:24 pm

I bought a 2013 TSX - thought the seats were great and found out they are too hard and they are not plush enough in the mid back - maybe the back is too short for my long torso. My step-daughter's 2000 Grand Cherokee has seats to die for, my 2003 Honda Accord had great plush seats. Anyone have any updates on seat comfort and how they did? My first consideration when I trade in the 2013 TSX is a Lexus ES350 or an Avalon which may be a little old for me, but . . . comfort is all. I'm getting from this post that a lot like the SUV's better for comfort.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Mon May 09, 2016 9:10 pm

I don't think anyone can determine the best seat for you. The first thing to do is determine a test loop that will test the seats' comfort under conditions which make you uncomfortable. Since I have serious back problems, this was easy for me. You may not have this problem. A long test drive may be the answer. I prefer 8-way power seats with a power lumbar adjustment. The length and width, bolstering, and cushioning of the seats are factors that only your butt in the seat can evaluate. When I purchased my last car, I tested every vehicle in the class that was in my price range.

DMW

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Mon May 09, 2016 11:21 pm

Funny you should ask this, as I always have a problem with comfort in drivers seats. After sitting in many cars, I found the Hyundai Azera seats to be very comfy in every way, including thigh support that is not too hard but still supportive, back shape, and shoulder-feel too. The (expensive) Kia K900 was also very comfy. Also, the brand new 2017 Mercedes E300 was just great for driver comfort. (I went to the car show and sat in lots of cars.)
Honorable mention is the new Nissan Maxima and the similar Infiniti Q70.
I do not like the Toyota Avalon seats. There is not enough legroom front to back or side to side and the thigh support area is too hard and flat and the thigh edge is too severe.
A lot of cars have a too severe drop off in front thigh support that makes me feel like there is a metal bar under my knees and this is a pet peeve of mine.

leonard

Post by leonard » Wed May 11, 2016 7:00 pm

Toyota Matrix.

Better than luxury auto's I have experienced.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

RDB

Post by RDB » Wed May 11, 2016 7:39 pm

Another vote for Volvo. We have an 09 XC90, the seats are very comfortable. My parents have a 2013 XC90 with similar experience

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Wed May 11, 2016 7:47 pm

Guys - this is a 5 year old thread and the OP provided their feedback (decision) in the final 2011 post.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Wed May 11, 2016 7:53 pm

David Jay wrote:Guys - this is a 5 year old thread and the OP provided their feedback (decision) in the final 2011 post.

He is probably due for another car by now, so perhaps he could use some updated advice.

Rlc250

Post by Rlc250 » Wed May 11, 2016 9:01 pm

Lexus 350 RX