Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
btenny
Posts: 4162
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by btenny » Wed May 11, 2016 9:15 pm

Wells guys I have found that car seat comfort is actually getting worse. Car companies are doing lots of stuff to reduce weight and increase safety that is making the seats worse. I bought a Subaru Outback three years ago as a compromise on price and features. The drivers seat is OK due to a 8 way power adjustments. The passenger seat is just bad. It is set much lower in the car and has only 4 way power adjust with a flat seat bottom that is rock hard. Both seats are a lot worse than my old Jeep Grand Cherokee and my wife's Grand Cherokee.

So now 3 years later I am back in the market for an SUV that has nice comfortable front seats. Both seats. Plus it would be nice if it got good MPG and drove nice and was priced less than $35K or so. All we have found so far are very expensive luxury SUVs like the Lincoln MKX with the special 22 way power seats for both passenger and driver that are only available in the Premier version of the car for $55K or more. Same thing at Mercedes. Good seats if you buy a $55K car. Tested the Acura MDX but it was raining hard and we did not get a good test so will do it over. Have not tested the Volvo either.

When did the regular car guys/gals decide that cars for regular people that cost $30K or so must have hard uncomfortable seats? Please tell me if you have a car that meets good comfort in both seats criteria?

LadyIJ
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by LadyIJ » Thu May 12, 2016 1:44 pm

Yes, please see my post "bought the wrong car" what a nightmare. My 2003 Honda Accord, my husband's older Pathfinder, my daughter's 2008 Jeep - all WONDERFUL seats. It is so hard to find a nice comfy and yet supportive seat. For those of us with back problems, it's a nightmare. I bought an Acura TSX and the seats are not quite right for me. I found that the driver's seat is ok, really, but when my husband is driving, the passenger's seat is not good - not as many adjustments - I'm looking into the Acura TL (TLX has hard seats) or the Lexus ES350. I did hop into the MDX and it was very nice, but as you said - $$ - some of us can't afford to spend $50K or in our Boglehead way - we just don't WANT to spend that kind of money. I do think some of the American cars have cushier seats, but I personally am after a Japanese made car. Good luck, and I'm glad we are keeping this post alive - it's a pertinent issue.

BruDude
Posts: 2612
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:28 am
Location: Las Vegas

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by BruDude » Sun May 15, 2016 10:20 pm

Porsche Panamera has the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in short of a Bentley/Rolls. Current generation of Mercedes S class is also incredible. Of course, budget plays a factor with both of those cars...

User avatar
Peter Foley
Posts: 4071
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:34 am
Location: Lake Wobegon

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by Peter Foley » Sun May 15, 2016 10:48 pm

My neighbors have a Nissan Altima and rave about the comfort of the seats. We went from a Subaru Forester to a Nissan Rogue for driving comfort. We like the Rogue a lot. I would definitely give a couple Nissan models a try.

LadyIJ
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by LadyIJ » Tue May 17, 2016 10:04 am

btenny wrote:Wells guys I have found that car seat comfort is actually getting worse. Car companies are doing lots of stuff to reduce weight and increase safety that is making the seats worse. I bought a Subaru Outback three years ago as a compromise on price and features. The drivers seat is OK due to a 8 way power adjustments. The passenger seat is just bad. It is set much lower in the car and has only 4 way power adjust with a flat seat bottom that is rock hard. Both seats are a lot worse than my old Jeep Grand Cherokee and my wife's Grand Cherokee.

So now 3 years later I am back in the market for an SUV that has nice comfortable front seats. Both seats. Plus it would be nice if it got good MPG and drove nice and was priced less than $35K or so. All we have found so far are very expensive luxury SUVs like the Lincoln MKX with the special 22 way power seats for both passenger and driver that are only available in the Premier version of the car for $55K or more. Same thing at Mercedes. Good seats if you buy a $55K car. Tested the Acura MDX but it was raining hard and we did not get a good test so will do it over. Have not tested the Volvo either.

When did the regular car guys/gals decide that cars for regular people that cost $30K or so must have hard uncomfortable seats? Please tell me if you have a car that meets good comfort in both seats criteria?


Please keep me posted too. I will be looking for a somewhat AFFORDABLE Japanese or American car or small SUV for cushy, comfortable, supportive seats. It is amazing - you have buy a Porsche or Volvo to have nice seats? It cannot be so.

rgs92
Posts: 1433
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by rgs92 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:49 am

Sorry to repeat myself, but try to sit in a Hyundai Azera (about $33,000, if that's OK for your).

LadyIJ
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by LadyIJ » Tue May 17, 2016 1:40 pm

btenny wrote:Wells guys I have found that car seat comfort is actually getting worse. Car companies are doing lots of stuff to reduce weight and increase safety that is making the seats worse. I bought a Subaru Outback three years ago as a compromise on price and features. The drivers seat is OK due to a 8 way power adjustments. The passenger seat is just bad. It is set much lower in the car and has only 4 way power adjust with a flat seat bottom that is rock hard. Both seats are a lot worse than my old Jeep Grand Cherokee and my wife's Grand Cherokee.

So now 3 years later I am back in the market for an SUV that has nice comfortable front seats. Both seats. Plus it would be nice if it got good MPG and drove nice and was priced less than $35K or so. All we have found so far are very expensive luxury SUVs like the Lincoln MKX with the special 22 way power seats for both passenger and driver that are only available in the Premier version of the car for $55K or more. Same thing at Mercedes. Good seats if you buy a $55K car. Tested the Acura MDX but it was raining hard and we did not get a good test so will do it over. Have not tested the Volvo either.

When did the regular car guys/gals decide that cars for regular people that cost $30K or so must have hard uncomfortable seats? Please tell me if you have a car that meets good comfort in both seats criteria?


Did you try the new Grand Cherokee - are the seats hard in the new ones? What have you decided to do. If you saw my previous post I bought an Acura TSX and I will have to trade it in - seats too short in back and too hard. I'm going to consider a pre-owned Lexus ES350 (2013) but I'm considering a Jeep or small to mid-sized SUV. I sat in the new Subaru Legacy and I knew the seats were too hard.

LadyIJ
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by LadyIJ » Wed May 25, 2016 2:22 pm

Rlc250 wrote:Lexus 350 RX

What year?

BobDaBlob
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:50 am
Location: State of Confusion

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by BobDaBlob » Wed May 25, 2016 2:35 pm

My 2015 Forester is almost torturous...and I am seriously considering ditching it...
Too much of everything is just enough...

btenny
Posts: 4162
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by btenny » Wed May 25, 2016 3:21 pm

I am waiting until the 2017 models come out before buying something else. I was able to extend my Subaru lease for 6 more months so now I have until December to trade my car or buy it outright. GM has already redesigned and introduced several new mid size SUVs for 2017. So I went and looked at the Cadillac XT5 SUV today. This car used to be called the SRX SUV but it was renamed and updated to the XT5. It is $40Kish for the base FWD version and $48K dressed up with AWD version fully dressed out. It seemed very nice and the both front seats seemed good, lots of power adjustments but still hard. GMC and Chevy also have sister cars to this XT5 that have been introduced. Other brands will be out soon so I have all summer to decide what I want to buy.

eog
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:17 am

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by eog » Thu May 26, 2016 7:38 am

I have a 2015 accord that I will be trading in due to torturous seats. I have looked into every single option trying to fix it and have come up empty. Cushions don't work because they put me up too high and I don't really want to mess with the geometry of the seat because of the side airbags. I talked to few upholstery shops and they said they could try to modify the foam but made no promises that would solve the problem.

My advice is go with a seat that has the most number of adjustments. Leather seats tend to have better support. I don't personally like leather seats since they are freezing in the winter and hot during the summer. Also I think the higher trim in the model lineup you go the better seats will be(base model seats will be worse than fully loaded models).

I am actually thinking of getting an Outback. I did a quick test drive and liked the seats overall but I also didn't mind the seats in my car when I first test drove it so that doesn't really say much. Those with Subarus that don't like your seats - what trim level do you have and what don't you like about them?

dbr
Posts: 23709
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by dbr » Thu May 26, 2016 8:45 am

eog wrote:I am actually thinking of getting an Outback. I did a quick test drive and liked the seats overall but I also didn't mind the seats in my car when I first test drove it so that doesn't really say much. Those with Subarus that don't like your seats - what trim level do you have and what don't you like about them?


I have an Outback limited, leather seats, power adjustable (which is more flexible for the driver than the passenger). We (two of us) DO like the seats just fine. We have driven enough on trips up to six hours on the road to be sure. However, it is definitely possible to make that car very uncomfortable. The lumbar bolster is way too aggressive. I found that powering it back to minimum setting and also making sure the seat back is not too upright gives me a very comfortable position. I am judging by immediate impression and by how I feel when I get out after hours of driving, which is the better test. It doesn't take much to make the seat uncomfortable, however. I do not find the seat "too hard." I would say the support in all directions is about right. There are articles out there about unzipping the seat cover and removing the plastic bolster part. It is also an issue that the headrest only moves forward until you pull it all the way and release it. A person can get in the car and find the headrest in an uncomfortable position and not fix it. If you want to compare that to the Buick I used to have, then that is probably two worlds and the one is not the other.

PS Obviously, of course, everyone is different so one person finding things ok does not mean someone else will.

LadyIJ
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by LadyIJ » Thu May 26, 2016 2:32 pm

eog wrote:I have a 2015 accord that I will be trading in due to torturous seats. I have looked into every single option trying to fix it and have come up empty. Cushions don't work because they put me up too high and I don't really want to mess with the geometry of the seat because of the side airbags. I talked to few upholstery shops and they said they could try to modify the foam but made no promises that would solve the problem.

My advice is go with a seat that has the most number of adjustments. Leather seats tend to have better support. I don't personally like leather seats since they are freezing in the winter and hot during the summer. Also I think the higher trim in the model lineup you go the better seats will be(base model seats will be worse than fully loaded models).

I am actually thinking of getting an Outback. I did a quick test drive and liked the seats overall but I also didn't mind the seats in my car when I first test drove it so that doesn't really say much. Those with Subarus that don't like your seats - what trim level do you have and what don't you like about them?


Right - I had the 2003 Accord and LOVED the seats, test drove the 2015's and knew they were too hard. Be careful with the Subaru's. I don't know about the Outback, but I test drove a Legacy loaded - nice leather and the seats are too hard as well. So far I like the Lexus ES350 or RX350 but darn well know I'm going to take my sweet time deciding before I make another mistake. Keep us posted

Cathia
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:40 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by Cathia » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:54 pm

btenny wrote:I am waiting until the 2017 models come out before buying something else. I was able to extend my Subaru lease for 6 more months so now I have until December to trade my car or buy it outright. GM has already redesigned and introduced several new mid size SUVs for 2017. So I went and looked at the Cadillac XT5 SUV today. This car used to be called the SRX SUV but it was renamed and updated to the XT5. It is $40Kish for the base FWD version and $48K dressed up with AWD version fully dressed out. It seemed very nice and the both front seats seemed good, lots of power adjustments but still hard. GMC and Chevy also have sister cars to this XT5 that have been introduced. Other brands will be out soon so I have all summer to decide what I want to buy.


DO NOT GET XT5 if you want a comfortable driver seat. Every seat in mine has something poking a passenger right at the "plumber's crack." It is possibly some kind of harness having to do with the heating apparatus. In my driver's seat that "thing" came apart, and poked my bottom so hard near base of my spine that after driving 25 miles, I had spine pain all day--no exaggeration! I have made two trips in to get the seat comfortable again. Was offered seat out of another XT5 but decided I should drive it first. That harness thing poked the "plumber" and became unbearable. Everyone sitting for a brief time in my seat could not feel my bottom seat problem, which I still had after the harness was secured and even pushed down and away from where the butt hits the seat. Now there is a hard spot with an even harder sharper spot poking me and causing pain that lasts even after exiting the vehicle. The problem may not be readily apparent, but in my vehicle it takes about three minutes to feel the pain even though the hard bump is apparent when the butt hits the seat. My fab XT5 has in my opinion turned to doodoo with this seat problem. Its otherwise a gorgeous and great performing vehicle. The dealer is still working on the problem -- even though the first thing I was told was "this can't be fixed."

User avatar
praxis
Posts: 362
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by praxis » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:19 pm

I use a pillow.

I regularly drive 1200 miles in 2 days to our cabin. I can't find a seat that works for me without a small pillow. I can even get relief from a rolled up sweatshirt, but DW bought me a dense buckwheat hull pillow 10 years ago and my back never gets tired using it. If I forget it, I start shifting around looking for a comfortable position after about 2 hours behind the wheel.

My guess is everybody's backside is different. It's hard to tell testing in the car lot. Most seats feel good to me at first.

atomicsquirrel
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:53 am

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by atomicsquirrel » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:48 pm

2016 Accord seats terrible, especially the passenger seat. Car itself is good, mpg, power, tech, but the seats...... never again.

I'm partial to Volvo seats at least in the V70 wagon series.

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:42 am

To the posters complaining about 2015/2016 Honda Accord, I also have that car - and I also don't car for the seat! I 'solved' it like this:
- Bent the head rest support bars back so the head rest wouldn't poke my head. There are videos and instructions online, it's quite a PITA...
- Raised the seat as high as possible without having my head touch the ceiling
- Tilt the bottom of the seat up to give some thigh support
- Maintain a fairly upright seating position

It's now ok but I find the foam to be rather firm. I'm in a car two hours/day! Otherwise the car is pretty nice (especially the drivetrain and handling) but I don't think I'd buy it again.

Next car will be a Volvo, looking at their overseas delivery option. Their seats are nice and there is an available thigh pad extension.

BruDude
Posts: 2612
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:28 am
Location: Las Vegas

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by BruDude » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:11 am

BMW X5 with the "comfort seats" option are incredibly comfortable as the name implies. Might be worth checking out.

User avatar
friar1610
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: MA South Shore

Re:

Post by friar1610 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:17 am

hicabob wrote:Try a Volvo? - not the flashiest cars but they spend a lot of time developing and have what many consider the worlds best seats.


I have a Volvo and I never really think about the seats. Which must mean I'm happy with them.
Friar1610

lazydavid
Posts: 1139
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by lazydavid » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:58 pm

rgs92 wrote:Honorable mention is the new Nissan Maxima and the similar Infiniti Q70.


Except for some switchgear that is common to all Nissan/Infiniti products, the Maxima and Q70 share zero parts. The last Infiniti that was similar to/based on the Maxima was the I35, discontinued 13 years ago. The Q70 is the direct replacement for the now-departed M, and both ride on the extended version of the longitudinal-engine, rear-wheel drive FM platform that is shared with the Q50/60 (formerly G35/37), as well as the Nissan 350Z/370Z. The Maxima, by contrast, rides on the transverse-engine, front-wheel drive D platform, which it shares with the Altima, Murano, Pathfinder (and it's QX70 cousin), and Quest minivan.

Both do have very comfortable seats, however. In particular, the back seats in the extended-length Q70L are among the most comfortable I've ever sat in, in any vehicle.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 2371
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:59 pm

As others have mentioned, I flipped the headrests so they don't tilt forward. (Who designs these things?) Comfortable front seats and driving positions are hard to find. But, at least not as hard as finding comfortable airline seats that are not lst class.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rgs92
Posts: 1433
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by rgs92 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:13 pm

From ClubLexus:
In the area of seating, you have to sit in a GS with the luxury package (very rare), they have a very special set of 18 way power multi-contour seats that have a articulating backrest (the backrest has a hinge 2/3rds of the way up that contours the backrest to the shape of your upper back), butterfly headrests, power adjustable bolsters as well as the thigh extender we have on the LS. Frankly, way better seats than what is in the LS, best seats I've had in a Lexus. Now, that said I wouldn't trade back to my GS to have those seats back lol. Compared to an ordinary GS I agree those seats are nothing special. Another big plus for those luxury GS seats is the passenger seat has the same range of motion, the passenger looses the adjustable lumbar and the thigh cushion extender in the LS, which makes no sense to me.

Source of this (with photos):
Post # 6 in this thread from Feb. 4, 2017 :
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th- ... -17-a.html

Personally, I sat in the 2016 Lexus LS460 and thought the front seats were spectacular (a car too rich for my blood though).
You can get a low mileage 2013-2014 certified LS460 with lower mileage for about $40 to $50,000 if that's in your price range.
That's the current generation (that ends this year).

Another good comfortable bargain in used cars is a certified Hyundai Equus. I thought it to be extremely comfortable for the driver. Almost-new ones are in the high $30Ks. (Down from the $60K area when new, so it's a bargain. The last model year for it was 2016 before the new Genesis-Brand was established. There is also the twin Kia K900 that is nice and I *think* has been abandoned but not sure. The K900 was almost as comfy as the Equus, but not quite.)

The one the car that I found to be exquisitely comfy for the driver is the newest generation (2017) Mercedes E-Class. But there are no bargains on these since it was just introduced a few months ago. ($50K+.)

The Lexus ES350 also has reasonably nice seats, much better than the Avalon I felt (which is confining and oddly positioned with insufficient legroom for me at 6-feet tall IMHO). The ES is not on the comfort level of the other cars mentioned here though.

I do not find any Toyota or Honda comfortable personally. (I am very particular about car seat comfort. I don't care much about styling though as long as it's not an Aztec.)

carguyny
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:56 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by carguyny » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:29 pm

As others have suggested, Volvo is widely regarded as making the most comfortable seats. This changed in the current generation of cars, so if you're looking new only consider the XC60/S60/V60. The new 90 series foam was changed with much firmer foam, similar to what other car manufacturers have been using. Any used Volvo should be good.

mouses
Posts: 2311
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am

Re:

Post by mouses » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:24 am

CABob wrote:Fully adjustable power seats help a lot. On a long drive I find myself adjusting several times, forward/backward, tilt, back slant, lumbar support, etc.


I also think the OP will have to actually try different cars, perhaps rent each for a few days.

I have a 1992 Buick and having power seat adjustments is a big win, especially since I developed a hip problem. I can easily lower and tilt the seat to get into the car and reverse that to get out.

bluebolt
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:01 am

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by bluebolt » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:13 am

carguyny wrote:As others have suggested, Volvo is widely regarded as making the most comfortable seats. This changed in the current generation of cars, so if you're looking new only consider the XC60/S60/V60. The new 90 series foam was changed with much firmer foam, similar to what other car manufacturers have been using. Any used Volvo should be good.

Very happy with my Volvo seats. Previously had an Audi, also with very comfortable seats.

LadyIJ
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by LadyIJ » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:28 pm

Rlc250 wrote:Lexus 350 RX


We had a close call with my husband's older Pathfinder and, although we are repairing, we will also start preparing to get a new SUV - the Lexus 350 RX is on the top of my list - will also look at the Murano and whatever comparable SUVs in Infiniti and Acura. Seat comfort is up there for us too.

lazydavid
Posts: 1139
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by lazydavid » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:59 pm

LadyIJ wrote:
Rlc250 wrote:Lexus 350 RX


We had a close call with my husband's older Pathfinder and, although we are repairing, we will also start preparing to get a new SUV - the Lexus 350 RX is on the top of my list - will also look at the Murano and whatever comparable SUVs in Infiniti and Acura. Seat comfort is up there for us too.


Be aware that the RX350 is not the best option for tall people. Though ours has been relatively reliable ($700 trans cooler this past weekend notwithstanding :annoyed ), the main reason we're looking to dump it is because it's uncomfortable. The seats are designed for short people--in particular, the seat bottoms are very short and do not support long legs well. If you're 5'6" or less, this is the car for you.

iamlucky13
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:28 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:21 pm

Sandtrap wrote:As others have mentioned, I flipped the headrests so they don't tilt forward. (Who designs these things?) Comfortable front seats and driving positions are hard to find. But, at least not as hard as finding comfortable airline seats that are not lst class.


It was around 2009 or so that a federal regulation was changed to forbid headrest designs that are comfortable for more than 10% of the population.

Snark aside, the requirement was actually to change headrests so that the 90th percentile flat heads would experience little to no head movement in rear impacts. That means that for 90% of us, our heads are forced further forward than optimal. I remember reading up on this when we bought our Outback, and not finding much evidence the change would actually reduce whiplash injuries, but sensible or not, that's the law.

As a result, neck or even some types of back discomfort might be addressed by looking for models with headrests that can adjust forward or back, or using cushions on the seat back to shift your body forward away from the headrest.

For myself, I was able to get used to changing my sitting posture slightly to one that worked with having my head further forward, but the first few road trips we took in that car made by lower back sore for several days afterwards.

It's still almost impossible for me to nap in that car, though (at a rest stop or in the passenger seat, obviously), and I guarantee you the regulators did not consider the safety tradeoff between more drowsy drivers versus 1/10th of the population having better head support.

dbr
Posts: 23709
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by dbr » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:02 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:As others have mentioned, I flipped the headrests so they don't tilt forward. (Who designs these things?) Comfortable front seats and driving positions are hard to find. But, at least not as hard as finding comfortable airline seats that are not lst class.


It was around 2009 or so that a federal regulation was changed to forbid headrest designs that are comfortable for more than 10% of the population.

Snark aside, the requirement was actually to change headrests so that the 90th percentile flat heads would experience little to no head movement in rear impacts. That means that for 90% of us, our heads are forced further forward than optimal. I remember reading up on this when we bought our Outback, and not finding much evidence the change would actually reduce whiplash injuries, but sensible or not, that's the law.

As a result, neck or even some types of back discomfort might be addressed by looking for models with headrests that can adjust forward or back, or using cushions on the seat back to shift your body forward away from the headrest.

For myself, I was able to get used to changing my sitting posture slightly to one that worked with having my head further forward, but the first few road trips we took in that car made by lower back sore for several days afterwards.

It's still almost impossible for me to nap in that car, though (at a rest stop or in the passenger seat, obviously), and I guarantee you the regulators did not consider the safety tradeoff between more drowsy drivers versus 1/10th of the population having better head support.


A significant factor in such things is what range and ease of adjustments are available. 6-8-10-umptyteen power adjustable seats do have benefits. Even headrest and other such issues can be alleviated by other adjustments, such as seat height, seat back angle, etc.

User avatar
2Much2Save
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:56 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
Contact:

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by 2Much2Save » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:17 pm

Volvo XC70 and V70 here. Volvo has very comfortable seats.

LawEgr1
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:34 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by LawEgr1 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:52 pm

I've travelled 67% in the past 3 years with various car rentals. I've also recently purchased a 2014 Ford Taurus, fairly well optioned.

By far and away, the big Taurus has the best seats. However, some folks find the center console troublesome, but it's about 50/50 on that front. But the seats are very big, and very comfortable for any type of trip. Also, the car is outstanding on the highway in terms of road feel and wind noise. Would recommend the Limited version for you. Best part is - you can find a used Taurus, certified or not, completely loaded on a steep discount. The car is an outstanding value, IMO, plus a trunk to boot.

All other cars I've found to be just OK, with probably the Avalon being in second to the Taurus. Avalon is a nice ride, but noisier on the highway. Great rear seats!

Had a nice Cadillac CTS4 and found that driving position to be awkward. Again, I think this thread proves YMMV.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 2371
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:41 pm

dbr wrote:
iamlucky13 wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:As others have mentioned, I flipped the headrests so they don't tilt forward. (Who designs these things?) Comfortable front seats and driving positions are hard to find. But, at least not as hard as finding comfortable airline seats that are not lst class.


It was around 2009 or so that a federal regulation was changed to forbid headrest designs that are comfortable for more than 10% of the population.

Snark aside, the requirement was actually to change headrests so that the 90th percentile flat heads would experience little to no head movement in rear impacts. That means that for 90% of us, our heads are forced further forward than optimal. I remember reading up on this when we bought our Outback, and not finding much evidence the change would actually reduce whiplash injuries, but sensible or not, that's the law.

As a result, neck or even some types of back discomfort might be addressed by looking for models with headrests that can adjust forward or back, or using cushions on the seat back to shift your body forward away from the headrest.

For myself, I was able to get used to changing my sitting posture slightly to one that worked with having my head further forward, but the first few road trips we took in that car made by lower back sore for several days afterwards.

It's still almost impossible for me to nap in that car, though (at a rest stop or in the passenger seat, obviously), and I guarantee you the regulators did not consider the safety tradeoff between more drowsy drivers versus 1/10th of the population having better head support.


A significant factor in such things is what range and ease of adjustments are available. 6-8-10-umptyteen power adjustable seats do have benefits. Even headrest and other such issues can be alleviated by other adjustments, such as seat height, seat back angle, etc.

Good point, "dbr".
Multi adjustable power seats are a must for me for medical reasons. I wish there were power adjustable angle headrests. Shucks :shock:
I've had to add lumbar support under the seat covers on every vehicle, even with the power adjustments.
Maybe vehicle seats are only made for to make "crash dummies" comfortable. :oops:

ragabnh
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 3:48 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by ragabnh » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:53 am

After owning and driving 30 cars in my lifetime, The Lexus LX570 has the best seats by far, but the car is very expensive at 90k.

carolc
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:45 am
Location: New Hampshire seacoast

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by carolc » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:15 am

I was going to try the Volvo S60 until I learned that they are currently made in China. (Volvo will apparently open a SC facility in the next year or two, I've read.) I currently am driving an uncomfortable 2015 Accord LX. I may look at a new Accord EX L which has lots of seat adjustments. Don't know if that will help...we'll see. I will also check out the Acura TLX seats. Hopefully one of these options will work.

carolc

cjcerny
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:47 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by cjcerny » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:20 am

Kia Optima.

Consumer Reports has comfort ratings for the front and rear seats of every vehicle they review, by the way.

likegarden
Posts: 2378
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by likegarden » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:05 am

My wife and I have knee and leg pain, and I have a bad spine. I drive a 2017 Chevy Malibu, my wife a 2013 Toyota Camry, with both having 3-way adjustable power seats, seats are cloth. We like our seats, very comfortable, adjust them until seating is most comfortable.

Nowizard
Posts: 1198
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by Nowizard » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:14 am

Toyota 4-Runner has very comfortable seats. Of course, it is on a truck chassis, so you have a bumpier ride than in a sedan. Honda Odyssey has very comfortable seats as well, and I do have significant back trouble. In reality, most any vehicle that has a small air bag in the driver's or passenger seat is comfortable since most discomfort is due to lack of pressure on the small of the back. Many people do not even realize they have this option in their vehicle. Of course other adjustments that are optional increase the possibilities of finding that perfect position and the ability to lock it in for different drivers.

Tim

TareNeko
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by TareNeko » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:21 am

They say that Volvo cars have the best seats. I haven't tried for myself, but it is worth checking.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 2371
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:28 am

likegarden wrote:My wife and I have knee and leg pain, and I have a bad spine. I drive a 2017 Chevy Malibu, my wife a 2013 Toyota Camry, with both having 3-way adjustable power seats, seats are cloth. We like our seats, very comfortable, adjust them until seating is most comfortable.

Ditto on bad spine. I can't bend my neck down (metal plate) to get into a car, so I have to have a wide and tall opening to get in. And, bad knees so hard to get into a low vehicle. Helps if the seat is my butt level when standing. Thus, Toyota Tundra with multi power seat. Best wheels I've ever had for my spine. Shopping for a car is easy. Seat first. Car later.

User avatar
htdrag11
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:22 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by htdrag11 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:55 pm

Rlc250 wrote:Lexus 350 RX


+1. 2012.

Mine has both heated and ventilated (fans, not AC) fronts that are comfortable; never sat in the back. I like the height of the SUV over sedan for visibility. It's a quiet vehicle but has a rather insensitive steering wheel.

User avatar
yatesd
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:19 am
Location: MD

Lincoln Continental

Post by yatesd » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:11 pm

I have not tried them, but supposedly the Lincoln Continental has nice seats.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016110 ... s-seats%3F

Starts at $44K
http://www.lincoln.com/luxury-cars/continental/2017/

LadyIJ
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by LadyIJ » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:55 pm

lazydavid wrote:
LadyIJ wrote:
Rlc250 wrote:Lexus 350 RX
We had a close call with my husband's older Pathfinder and, although we are repairing, we will also start preparing to get a new SUV - the Lexus 350 RX is on the top of my list - will also look at the Murano and whatever comparable SUVs in Infiniti and Acura. Seat comfort is up there for us too.
Be aware that the RX350 is not the best option for tall people. Though ours has been relatively reliable ($700 trans cooler this past weekend notwithstanding :annoyed ), the main reason we're looking to dump it is because it's uncomfortable. The seats are designed for short people--in particular, the seat bottoms are very short and do not support long legs well. If you're 5'6" or less, this is the car for you.
thanks, we'll keep that in mind when the old SUV conks out (if it does). We may also look at the Murano.

lazydavid
Posts: 1139
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by lazydavid » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:49 pm

LadyIJ wrote:
lazydavid wrote:Be aware that the RX350 is not the best option for tall people. Though ours has been relatively reliable ($700 trans cooler this past weekend notwithstanding :annoyed ), the main reason we're looking to dump it is because it's uncomfortable. The seats are designed for short people--in particular, the seat bottoms are very short and do not support long legs well. If you're 5'6" or less, this is the car for you.
thanks, we'll keep that in mind when the old SUV conks out (if it does). We may also look at the Murano.
Murano's seats are incredibly comfortable IMO. Of course it's not nearly as reliable as the Lexus. But it's a good bit cheaper, so you probably come out ahead anyway.

munemaker
Posts: 2104
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by munemaker » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:57 pm

SVariance1 wrote:
bstevlin wrote:
mapleosb wrote:Since retirement, we have enjoyed taking long road trips to see and enjoy our beautiful country.

One of the drawbacks is that neither of our vehicles has comfortable front seats for the drives. The time has come to replace one of these and I would appreciate any comments from those who have found a comfortable front seat vehicle they would recommend.

Thanks for the help!
Do not buy a Honda Accord. We had a 2004 EXL and a 2007 EXL. Both were terrible for seating and road noise. We have a 2006 Acura MDX which has very good seat comfort with minimal road noise.
I had to return a 2009 Honda because the seats were so uncomfortable
Just curious. How do you return a car?

munemaker
Posts: 2104
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Re:

Post by munemaker » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:59 pm

mouses wrote:
CABob wrote:Fully adjustable power seats help a lot. On a long drive I find myself adjusting several times, forward/backward, tilt, back slant, lumbar support, etc.
I also think the OP will have to actually try different cars, perhaps rent each for a few days.

I have a 1992 Buick and having power seat adjustments is a big win, especially since I developed a hip problem. I can easily lower and tilt the seat to get into the car and reverse that to get out.
My MIL loves the cloth seats in and comfort of her Buick LeSabre and will be happy to tell you about it. She is 90.

teniralc
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 8:57 pm

Re:

Post by teniralc » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:44 pm

Bylo Selhi wrote:Instead of changing cars or car seats, try this: Obus Ultra Forme. It's done wonders for my back and made multi-hour drives comfortable.
I've been using a similar product for a number of years with my Honda civic https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017WLP71G?th=1
I just bought a new 2017 honda civic EX–the car is great, except the comfort of the seats is not the greatest. I bought a new one of these seat/back cushions for this new car and it has made a world of difference.

lowndes
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:30 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by lowndes » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:59 pm

Range Rover - by far most comfortable car I've had.

squirm
Posts: 1035
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by squirm » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:04 pm

I found stretching my quads and hamstrings help.

GhostHorse
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:57 am

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by GhostHorse » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:29 am

I had sepsis in my spine and now all lumbar is titanium rods, cages and bone grafts. I can't ride more than 2 hrs without horrible pain. Desperately need comfortable car seat. I current own '11 Sonata, '11 Nissan Frontier, ''05 Explorer. All killers.
Both my kids & only grandchild (6 months and I've seen once) live 12 hrs away. (Flying takes almost as long & airplane seats are killers).
I want get new car and keep it under $50,000. Tried the usual - Camry, Accord, Passat. Nope.
Looking at Lincoln Continental or some Caddy model. Really like Audi Q7 but not sure how it would be on long drive. Heard maintenance costs on BMW and Mercedes are killers. And it seems that for most of the 'luxury' brand names $50k gets you barebones model. You'd think they could throw in Sirius radio when you pay that kind of $$.
Help.

User avatar
prudent
Moderator
Posts: 4802
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Comfortable Vehicle Front Seats

Post by prudent » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:17 am

I'm curious if anyone has looked into aftermarket seats. I notice there's a company called Recaro that makes a line of aftermarket ergonomic car seats in different models. Might be possible to buy the car one wants and put an costly aftermarket seat in it rather than spending tens of thousands more than desired for a car just to get a better seat.

Post Reply