Best electronic Reader?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
archman

Best electronic Reader?

Post by archman »

I have an iPad (original) but was thinking perhaps a kindle or nook would be better for reading outside or on my commute where there is often glare. Any thoughts on what the best device for newspapers and books is?
tphp99

Post by tphp99 »

For books, I use the Kindle. But I just can't adapt to reading newspapers and magazines electronically, so I still get the papers and magazines - old school.
Igglesman

Re: Best electronic Reader?

Post by Igglesman »

Kindle, especially at the new lower prices.
northend

Post by northend »

For best sellers and old classics, I use a Nook. I went with a Nook because our local library offers a small selection of books to checkout from Overdrive.

Overdrive uses Adobe Digital Editions DRM which the Nook legally supports.

Also if you live close to a Barnes and Noble store, they offer a one hour free use of their Nook digital books.
Last edited by northend on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob B

Post by Bob B »

You may want to wait a little while. New Kindles are expected this month or next. Will probably have a touch screen version like the Nook. Kindles will support library lending later this year.
Regards, | Bob | Wiki
Jamieson22

Post by Jamieson22 »

I LOVE my Kindle WiFi.

If I had to rebuy, I would go with the Kindle 3G + Special Offers. Same price as WiFi and from what I have seen the offers are actually quite good (most are for Amazon products).

Also, make sure you get a lighted case for it if you ever read in low-light areas (the Amazon one that is powered by the Kindle is nice).

Jamie
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

Bob B wrote:You may want to wait a little while. New Kindles are expected this month or next. Will probably have a touch screen version like the Nook. Kindles will support library lending later this year.
Hmm, good to know. The lack of library lending support has kept me from even considering a Kindle thus far. I know the Nook has it, but I haven't wanted an e-reader enough to plunk down the money.
orlandoguy

Post by orlandoguy »

The Best Buy in the John Hancock building in Chicago has for sale the Kindle, Nook, and Sony e-reader which makes it easy to do a side-by-side comparison. Not sure if all Best Buys stock all 3 products, but you might want to check this out.

Having owned both iPad versions as well as a Kindle 2, I can attest to the benefits of using the Kindle for reading. The iPad is great, but the Kindle really is made for reading in terms of form factor, comfort, etc.

I should add, however, that the Kindle, in my opinion, is tragically flawed as a newspaper and magazine reader, particularly compared to the iPad.

Orlandoguy
jaia

Kindle user

Post by jaia »

I bought the original Kindle - there weren't many options then - and have been using it ever since for books, magazines, and newspapers.

It is light, easy to read, and comfortable for me, to the point that i prefer it to an actual book.

The magazines i subscribe to are Economist, Atlantic, and New Yorker,and they are fine for me on the Kindle since they are mostly text. I'll buy an individual newspaper once in a while in a pinch.

One thing that has annoyed me lately is the increasing cost of Kindle books - they used to be under $10, but now those are rare. The latest David McCullough book is priced higher than the hardcover on Amazon.

I'm looking forward to the library option.

Haven't tried the Nook. I have a recently purchased wifi iPad that i use for websites and newspapers, but I so far prefer the Kindle for books.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Kindle's patented screen display and its battery life absolutely kills the competition. do a quick search and you will see. Kindle's battery life can go 1 month. The 'ink' uses power when you turn the page, not to display hence the long life.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
marylandcrab

Post by marylandcrab »

I was just on vacation in the caribbean, it was so nice to have my kindle out in the strong sun, just laying back holding it with one hand and turning pages. I charged it before I left and it lasted without charging for an 11 day trip.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

harrychan wrote:Kindle's patented screen display and its battery life absolutely kills the competition. do a quick search and you will see. Kindle's battery life can go 1 month. The 'ink' uses power when you turn the page, not to display hence the long life.
I agree. If equipped with 3G, to maximize battery life turn off the 3G when not needed.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
norookie

Post by norookie »

:D Well I do not endorse the IPad.(Have one) I'll be looking into a kindle having BobBs intel about the library lending option.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
tdhg566

Post by tdhg566 »

With all due respect, I think you're asking the wrong question. I have this conversation with people all the time. They get all caught up in which device to buy. The devices are transitory. Here today, obsolete tomorrow. Color versus B&W, buttons versus touch screen. The best device today will be outdated tomorrow.

The questions you should be asking, in my opinion, start with "which service will allow me to best manage my growing library over time". Which service has staying power. You should consider a) purchase price, b) ability to share (lending and ability to read the book on different devices), c) ability to download, read, remove from device, and download next year d) ability to capture, store and replay annotations you made while reading and e) general ease of use. The list goes on and on.

Once you get the long term management solution decided, the device and vendor will natural present themselves. For example, if you're a hands on guy, and only want books in open formats that you can store, backup and manage yourself, then that's one solution. If you want a vendor to take on the management tasks so all you have to do is read, that will probably be another solution.
As an Enrolled Agent I advise clients about taxes and investments. My work is retiree friendly, geographically portable, mentally stimulating, personally profitable and emotionally rewarding.
WatchinU

Post by WatchinU »

Agree that the service is a big consideration. I ran into someone that had a device but replaced it with a kindle. she had to finish the books she purchased on the old device because they are not transferable.

one of the things i like about Amazon's approach to the kindle is they have an application that can be downloaded for free. if you purchase an ebook from them then they allows you to have that book on any device including PC, iPad, kindle, etc. that library is yours and you own that book. you can purchase ebooks without having to buy a kindle if you want to read them on your PC or iPad or iPhone, etc... also, they have some free books from time to time
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

I have a Kindle with the 3G option. It is easy to carry, hold, handle and read, is easy to read in bright sunlight, and has very rapid download of books. There is a large selection of free and nearly free books, if you like older works which will be out of copyright. I have used to read newspapers, and would buy again.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Xile F Investor

Post by Xile F Investor »

Since you have the iPad, it's probably cheaper to go with an anti-glare screen protector.

http://www.amazon.com/Speck-ShieldView- ... B003EN2VJI

And download the kindle and nook app.
What you must do is, speak so loud that I can not hear you. | Those who say it can not be done should not interrupt the people doing it.
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

Sony Reader
jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 »

serbeer wrote:Sony Reader
I also vote Sony because many large public libraries loan out ebooks and Sony is one of the readers that supports this. You can borrow some pretty recent ebooks in all genres from your library using the Sony Reader. The software is a bit clunky but the libraries usually use Adobe Digital Editions.

I like the Kindle a lot for what it is, but it's not currently supported by public libraries since Amazon is in the business of selling books (this may change someday).
Xile F Investor

Post by Xile F Investor »

Kindle will offer library books by the end of 2011 through overdrive.com. You can get these books through the iPad kindle app.

I vote for anti glare screen.

Cheaper and more boglehead like solution. ;-)

Btw, i wrote this from my iPad (original).
What you must do is, speak so loud that I can not hear you. | Those who say it can not be done should not interrupt the people doing it.
chaz

Post by chaz »

the Kindle is good.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

So is the Nook.
Gordon
curly lambeau

Post by curly lambeau »

I bought the discounted Special Offers Kindle and love it.

I haven't connected it wirelessly in weeks and thus it no longer shows advertisements. The ads didn't bother me anyway.
awval999

Post by awval999 »

Bought g/f a Nook for her birthday, she loves it, she liked the look and feel of the Nook over the Kindle. The Kindle's qwerty keyboard is just awkward looking and useless for her.