"discount" offered by exterminator

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
linuxuser

"discount" offered by exterminator

Post by linuxuser » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:18 pm

I knew I shouldn't have answered the door.

It was the route salesman for an exterminator. He said a few of my neighbors was taking advantage of their services for $105 (40% discount) every 3 months. He said they were doing a "flush out".

I haven't seen any ants inside since putting the two Terro traps outside.

Should I be concerned or is this hogwash?

NAD83

Post by NAD83 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:08 pm

Never buy and goods or service from a door-to-door salesperson. Even if they are a legitimate business (big IF) their pitches are not as good as they seem. Heck, even Girl Scout cookies are a ripoff, though I at least answer the door and buy them once in a while.

Post by 555 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:43 pm

There's no such thing as a discount.

linuxuser

Post by linuxuser » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:47 pm

I guess my question is this sort of extermination service even necessary?

scubadiver

Post by scubadiver » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:23 pm

linuxuser wrote:I guess my question is this sort of extermination service even necessary?
Depends, where do you live? I live in the woods, so my house is surrounded by trees that provide a wonderful breeding / living environment for all sorts of insects. We have Barrier spray once per quarter at a cost of $95. If you live in an older neighborhood and close to nature, you may want to consider this. Otherwise, you might wait until you start to observe insects in your house.

BTW, my neighbor gave me an extra reusable sprayer that he had in his garage, so I'm probably going to drop Barrier and just begin the treatments myself once every 3 months. You can buy the chemical products over the internet or at your local farm supply store. The actual application will take less than an hour with clean up and all. But if you don't already have an insect probably, why bother?

zinnia

Post by zinnia » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:26 pm

He wanted to flush out your wallet...

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:48 pm

There are only 2 insects you should be concerned about- carpenter ants or termites.

In either case, don't ever do business with door-to-door salesman. If you really were concerned, go the usual routes - ask a neighbor (but not the ones who fell for the local salesman) or google for info (what to look for, etc.).

You should be more confident dealing with people in person. People feel more intimidated when someone calls at their home door than at a business location. Be nice, but insistent. They'll leave when they sense you're not going to give them a sale.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.