Grandson of BCS

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gatorman

Grandson of BCS

Post by gatorman » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:18 pm

So, it is almost college football season yet again, and, not a down having been played or a quarter having gone in the record books for the new season, it is an ideal time for you pigskin prognosticators to step forward with your predictions- who will be the next BCS champion, who will head up the also-rans, and why will they end up in accordance with your predictions?

Great glory awaits the paramount prognosticator who can predict the ultimate champion, and, as a tie breaker the next four finishers in order. 10 points for predicting the BCS champion, and as a tie breaker, 4 points for number 2, 3 points for number 3, 2 points for number 4 and 1 point for number 5, all as measured by the final BCS srankings. So give me your predictions, and let the best one win!

Finally, as we all recognize that this is a subject often fraught with emotion, please try and keep your remarks civil and lighthearted.

Bon chance!!!
gatorman
Last edited by gatorman on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Munir

Post by Munir » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:23 pm

The Oregon Ducks will play LSU in early September. If the Ducks win, I predict they will end up in the top five at the end of the season.

"Chicken" Prognosticator Munir :oops: .

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:17 pm

Athlon's preseason predictions are:

1. Alabama
2. Oklahoma
3. Oregon
4. (the hated) Florida State University
5. Boise State

If my recollection is correct, Athlon has not done all that well predicting the final standings, but there it is, for what it's worth, probably not much, although Alabama does have a huge amount of talent on both sides of the ball and could very well go undefeated.

Please pardon the editorializing on #4, I can't seem to help it.

gatorman

Bulldawg

Post by Bulldawg » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:35 pm

GA plays Boise State in the GA Dome on 9/3 followed by South Carolina and the Evil Genius in Athens on 9/10; after that follows a weaker than normal SEC schedule for the DAWGS. I predict Mark Richt gets off the hot seat IF he survives the first two games.
" IN GOD WE TRUST " ( official motto of the United States )

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:29 pm

Bulldawg wrote:GA plays Boise State in the GA Dome on 9/3 followed by South Carolina and the Evil Genius in Athens on 9/10; after that follows a weaker than normal SEC schedule for the DAWGS. I predict Mark Richt gets off the hot seat IF he survives the first two games.
Those are two tough teams to face in the opening weeks of the season. Boise State is out to make itself a name off of any major team it can get to play it, and the"Evil Genius" is on a roll, and is very hard to beat once he gets ahead. He is the ultimate front runner, once he gets up a couple of touches, almost impossible to beat. The only one who knew how to do it was Bobby Bowden, and he's retired.
gatorman

scubadiver

Post by scubadiver » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:53 pm

gatorman wrote:Athlon's preseason predictions are:

1. Alabama
2. Oklahoma
3. Oregon
5. Boise State

If my recollection is correct, Athlon has not done all that well predicting the final standings, but there it is, for what it's worth, probably not much, although Alabama does have a huge amount of talent on both sides of the ball and could very well go undefeated.

gatorman
Who from the SEC hasn't won a BCS Title yet? Georgia maybe? Bama already had their turn. Definitely not Ole Miss. That's just too much to ask, even for the SEC.

Outside the SEC? Maybe this is the year. Perhaps Stoops can get that BCS monkey off his back. I don't see any Big 10 schools being serious contenders (new coaches at Mich and Ohio St., Nebraska will be good, but not THAT good, and Wisc, Iowa and PSU, while good schools, just lack the depth necessary for a serious title run.) Big East champ maybe? Never mind. USC is still under sanctions and Oregon's best chance was last year. A school like Oregon being a pre-season top five almost guarantees they will not finish in the top five. That leaves us with a non-BCS team which is possible I suppose, but I doubt it (Boise St. was stacked with seniors last year - I'm predicting they don't finish in the top 20 this year) And sure, TCU is quick, but the SEC champ will be quick too...and much bigger. Oh ya, the long forgotten ACC. But who? Could it be the (hated) Seminoles? Time will tell. :)

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:38 pm

scubadiver wrote:

1. Alabama
2. Oklahoma
3. Oregon
5. Boise State

gatorman
Who from the SEC hasn't won a BCS Title yet? Georgia maybe? Bama already had their turn. Definitely not Ole Miss. That's just too much to ask, even for the SEC.

Outside the SEC? Maybe this is the year. Perhaps Stoops can get that BCS monkey off his back. I don't see any Big 10 schools being serious contenders (new coaches at Mich and Ohio St., Nebraska will be good, but not THAT good, and Wisc, Iowa and PSU, while good schools, just lack the depth necessary for a serious title run.) Big East champ maybe? Never mind. USC is still under sanctions and Oregon's best chance was last year. A school like Oregon being a pre-season top five almost guarantees they will not finish in the top five. That leaves us with a non-BCS team which is possible I suppose, but I doubt it (Boise St. was stacked with seniors last year - I'm predicting they don't finish in the top 20 this year) And sure, TCU is quick, but the SEC champ will be quick too...and much bigger. Oh ya, the long forgotten ACC. But who? Could it be the (hated) Seminoles? Time will tell. :)
As to the (hated) Seminoles, they probably have their best shot in years, I hope they muff it.
gatorman

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:28 am

Based on history and a favorable schedule, I predict the SEC Champion will play Oklahoma in the BCS Championship. OU does not have to play Nebraska and there is no Big 12 Championship this year. They can make it to the BCS playing 11 games while most other contenders will have to play 12. The flip side of the schedule is that they will almost certainly have to be 11-0 make it to the big dance.

On the other hand, the SEC Champion will have to play 12 games and 9 of those will be against SEC opponents. A 13-0 or 12-1 SEC champion is very likely to make it to the big dance.

If the SEC Champion plays OU, my money is on the SEC. Having played a tougher schedule will make them a better team.

The truth is that in any given year there are 8-10 teams that have an excellent shot to win it all. The one that stays most healthy and gets the best breaks will be the winner. To win a national championship requires being very, very good and very, very lucky.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:02 pm

scubadiver wrote:

1. Alabama
2. Oklahoma
3. Oregon
5. Boise State

gatorman
Being an Alabama fan of course it is nice seeing the Crimson
Tide on top of the Athlon list but there is a liability in that
everyone will be gunning for # 1-----it would almost be a
relief to be in the respectable top 10 rather than the "target"
of # 1 and move up as the year progresses. I just hope for
a good year for the Tide it will be hard to repeat 2009.

Wilson

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:12 pm

wilson08 wrote:
scubadiver wrote:

1. Alabama
2. Oklahoma
3. Oregon
5. Boise State

gatorman
Being an Alabama fan of course it is nice seeing the Crimson
Tide on top of the Athlon list but there is a liability in that
everyone will be gunning for # 1-----it would almost be a
relief to be in the respectable top 10 rather than the "target"
of # 1 and move up as the year progresses. I just hope for
a good year for the Tide it will be hard to repeat 2009.

Wilson
I wouldn't mind having that problem, The Sporting News has Florida ranked #30 in its preseason poll. I think we are probably a little better than that, but right now would have a hard time ranking us in the top 15, too thin on the O line and at cornerback, not to mention quarterback.
gatorman
Last edited by gatorman on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DougK

Post by DougK » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:29 pm

1. Alabama
2. Wisconsin
3. LSU
4. Oklahoma
5. Nebraska

DougK

Post by DougK » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:38 pm

What I really want???

1. Penn State
2. Anyone, I don't care
3. Anyone, I don't care
4. Anyone, I don't care
5. Anyone, I don't care

nukephd

Post by nukephd » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:01 pm

It's hard picking this early.

The MNC participants will be either Oklahoma, Oregon, the Big10 champ, or the SEC champ (probably from the SEC west). The Big 10 (twelve) and SEC are looking very stout this season. The ACC always chokes (sadly .. b/c I'm an ACC guy) ever since Y2K, and the Big East is a joke, so those teams can be eliminated.

I am hoping for SEC vs Big10 because these are the two premier conferences in CFB right now. I can't wait for this season ...

My predictions:
1. Alabama (MNC winner)
2. Oregon
3. Boise State
4. Wisconsin (MNC loser)
5. LSU

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:08 pm

I'm going to take a wild stab at this:

1.) Oregon - bringing back most of their offensive weapons from last year but iffy on defense
2.) LSU
3.) Oklahoma - They'll choke against FSU
4.) FSU
5.) Boise State

scubadiver

Post by scubadiver » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:18 pm

Ok, so now I'm curious. Two people have identified the Badgers in their top 5. Is there something about Wisconsin that I don't know? Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge big 10 fan and year in and year out, the badgers are a solid team (albeit somewhat portly on the O-line, but in a good sort of way). I'm just not aware of what Wisconsin has this season that puts them in the top 5 and makes them a national title contender.

fishndoc

Post by fishndoc » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:48 pm

Not an LSU fan (or hater either), but would love to see Les Miles in a national championship game.
Partly cause he seems to be a good guy, and also for the drama of wondering what off-the-wall coaching move he will make as time is running out.
" Successful investing involves doing just a few things right, and avoiding serious mistakes." - J. Bogle

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:58 pm

scubadiver wrote:Ok, so now I'm curious. Two people have identified the Badgers in their top 5. Is there something about Wisconsin that I don't know? Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge big 10 fan and year in and year out, the badgers are a solid team (albeit somewhat portly on the O-line, but in a good sort of way). I'm just not aware of what Wisconsin has this season that puts them in the top 5 and makes them a national title contender.
Everybody is excited about Russell Wilson. That's the only thing I can think of.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:10 pm

It will be interesting to see what Andrew Luck and Stanford do without Jim Harbaugh.
Gordon

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:33 am

Munir wrote:The Oregon Ducks will play LSU in early September. If the Ducks win, I predict they will end up in the top five at the end of the season.

The famous Ask.com poll has Oregon ranked #1. Their top five are:

1. Oregon
2. Oklahoma
3. Alabama
4. LSU
5. Stanford

http://collegefootball.about.com/od/sch ... season.htm

I'm no Alabama fan, but I must say that any poll which leaves the Tide anything but first or second lacks credibility with me, but there you have it, Oregon preseason #1, in at least one poll.

gatorman

Munir

Post by Munir » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:16 am

As someone else commented, I don't think Oregon's team this year is as good as last year- especailly on defense. In addition, key defensive player and punt returner, Harris, is suspended for the first game against LSU. That's why their performance against LSU will be very telling. If they shine, I will be much more positive about them. And yes, I am a Duck fan.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:03 pm

The USA Today Coaches Poll out today
has for the Top Five:

1. Oklahoma
2. Alabama
3. Oregon
4. LSU
5. Florida State (sorry gatorman)

Wilson

nukephd

Post by nukephd » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:08 pm

I don't understand the love for FSU, and I'm an ACC homer. Maybe they're top 15, but top 5 ... really?

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:37 pm

nukephd wrote:I don't understand the love for FSU, and I'm an ACC homer. Maybe they're top 15, but top 5 ... really?
We go through this every year with either FSU or Miami. Guess it's FSU's turn to be "back" this year.

Tyrobi

Post by Tyrobi » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:12 pm

Munir wrote:The Oregon Ducks will play LSU in early September. If the Ducks win, I predict they will end up in the top five at the end of the season.

Alabama will play LSU in November. If the Tide wins that game and LSU beats Oregon in their opening game, I predict they will be in the top five at the end of the season :D.

Seriously, statistic is against the SEC winning the national championship for the six straight times. The 2012 BCS National Championship Game will be in Louisiana Superdome, New Orleans. Despite the odd, it would be super nice to see the Crimson Tide there in person.
Three-fund portfolio | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." John C. Bogle

scubadiver

Post by scubadiver » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:37 pm

Tyrobi wrote:

Alabama will play LSU in November. If the Tide wins that game and LSU beats Oregon in their opening game, I predict they will be in the top five at the end of the season :D.

Seriously, statistic is against the SEC winning the national championship for the six straight times. The 2012 BCS National Championship Game will be in Louisiana Superdome, New Orleans. Despite the odd, it would be super nice to see the Crimson Tide there in person.
Don't confuse the odds of winning six in a row when you have won none with the odds of winning six in a row given that you won the last five. Given even odds accross the six BCS conferences, I would absolutely bet on the SEC producing the national champ this season. I'd love to see a big 10 team win it all, but the odds are not in my favor. :(

Munir

Post by Munir » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:13 pm

Tyrobi wrote:

Copycat :roll: except that you had a smiley face instead of blushing with embarrassment!

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:31 am

CBS Sportsline ranks 'em as follows:

1. Louisiana State
2. Oklahoma
3. Oregon
4. Alabama
5. Stanford

Ohio State is ranked #6 for all you Buckeye fans.

gatorman

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:12 am

Lindy's ranks 'em:

1. Oklahoma
2. Alabama
3. Oregon
4. LSU
5. Florida State, or as it is perhaps better known by the public at large, "Free Shoes U", although I would never be so disrespectful as to refer to that fine institution in such a manner myself.

http://www.lindyssports.com/article.php?cn=378

gatorman

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:14 am

Duplicate Post.
Last edited by gatorman on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:27 pm

Tyrobi wrote:Seriously, statistic is against the SEC winning the national championship for the six straight times. The 2012 BCS National Championship Game will be in Louisiana Superdome, New Orleans. Despite the odd, it would be super nice to see the Crimson Tide there in person.
Last week I was looking at a top 25-preseason poll. Five SEC West teams are ranked in the top 20 and 3 teams from the SEC East are ranked in the top 25. To make it to the BCS Championship, an SEC team will have to play 9 conference games and likely have a maximum of only 1 loss. That's a very tall order. However, if an SEC team makes it to the big dance, they will likely win it. Tougher competition makes better teams.

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:06 pm

The Bleacher Report took the top 25 teams and split them into two lists "Pretenders", who they say will not be going to the big dance and "Contenders", who they say have a shot. Here is their take from the bottom up:

Pretenders: Pa. State, Texas, Miss. State, Auburn, Notre Dame, Arkansas,
Nebraska, Texas A&M, Stanford and (surprisingly to me) LSU.

Contenders: Florida, Missouri, Michigan State, Ohio State, TCU, Va. Tech, South Carolina, Wisconsin, Oklahoma State, Boise State, (the hated) FSU, Oregon, Alabama and Oklahoma.

They list a lot of the preseason top 25 SEC schools as "Pretenders." I think I'd have to agree with that (with the exception of LSU which can win even with an average team just based on the gambling ability of the coach). A lot of those teams are really good college football teams, but definitely do not belong in the top 5 and have no realistic shot at the title.

So, that may help you in making a decision, or not.

ANYONE WHO WANTS TO PUT IN THEIR GUESS SHOULD DO SO BEFORE SEPTEMBER 1, 2011. THE CUTOFF IS MIDNIGHT ON AUGUST 31, 2011.

gatorman
Last edited by gatorman on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:30 pm

Oklahoma, in typical fashion, will either:

1) Flame out early, and then win out the remainder of the season; or

2) Win all of their games, and then flame out miserably on the last game of the season or in the bowl game.

That being said, I don't like hearing about how good OU is. OU is at its best when they aren't ranked very highly.

Shireman28

Post by Shireman28 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:35 am

BCS champ Alabama
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Notre Dame
West Virgnia

Bulldawg

Post by Bulldawg » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:55 am

Gatorman,

Are you hearing the same rumors about the SEC adding a couple teams ? I've read perhaps Clemson and ( the hated ) FSU in the east with Texas A & M added to the west for a total of 14 teams. The rumor about A & M seems most legit.

schwarm

Post by schwarm » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:52 am

Bulldawg wrote:Gatorman,

Are you hearing the same rumors about the SEC adding a couple teams ? I've read perhaps Clemson and ( the hated ) FSU in the east with Texas A & M added to the west for a total of 14 teams. The rumor about A & M seems most legit.
A&M was considering the SEC last year when UT was talking to the PAC-10.
When UT backed down, and a new, more lucrative media rights contract was negotiated by the Big 12, A&M decided to stay.

Apparently the imminent launch of Longhorn Network, UT's own college sports channel, has A&M up in arms again and seriously reconsidering going to the SEC.

If the SEC takes A&M, they would like to get a 14th team to keep to even sized divisions. Preferably, another team on the east, so current division members stay in place. I've read several rumors about a potential 14th team including FSU, Clemson, V Tech, West Virginia, Missouri, NC State, although I'm not sure if the rumors for any of these teams has legs.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:03 pm

schwarm wrote:

A&M was considering the SEC last year when UT was talking to the PAC-10.
When UT backed down, and a new, more lucrative media rights contract was negotiated by the Big 12, A&M decided to stay.

Apparently the imminent launch of Longhorn Network, UT's own college sports channel, has A&M up in arms again and seriously reconsidering going to the SEC.

If the SEC takes A&M, they would like to get a 14th team to keep to even sized divisions. Preferably, another team on the east, so current division members stay in place. I've read several rumors about a potential 14th team including FSU, Clemson, V Tech, West Virginia, Missouri, NC State, although I'm not sure if the rumors for any of these teams has legs.
I can't see FSU wanting to jump ship. They have a pretty good thing going on in the ACC. They're in the easier of the two divisions so their chances of going undefeated every year are much higher than if they joined the SEC. Same with Clemson, really. I could see West Virginia and Mizzou before any of the ACC teams.

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:25 pm

The AP has an article out on possible expansion, which, in case you haven't already read it, can be found here:

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/2011 ... ?p=1&tc=pg

Clemson and (the hated) FSU both deny any discussions. Whether the denials are credible remains to be seen. Texas A&M does sound legit.

From what I've read, the 14th team would likely be a team with a large tv market, but not FSU, Ga. Tech or Clemson, as Florida would have a problem with FSU coming in, Georgia likewise for Ga. Tech and S. Carolina with Clemson. Not sure who that would be, both S. Florida and C. Florida have been mentioned because they are large tv market schools, but I think they are pretty weak and wouldn't enhance the league. Someone suggested the Hurricanes, but I think Florida would be against letting UM into the league. Missouri was also getting some press, and they've had a few decent teams in recent years, as has NC State, which has also been mentioned. Personally, I think Va. Tech would be a great addition from a pure football point of view, but I doubt they have the fan base to make them attractive to the SEC.
gatorman

schwarm

Post by schwarm » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:36 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
I can't see FSU wanting to jump ship. They have a pretty good thing going on in the ACC. They're in the easier of the two divisions so their chances of going undefeated every year are much higher than if they joined the SEC. Same with Clemson, really. I could see West Virginia and Mizzou before any of the ACC teams.

Each of the schools has various advantages and disadvantages.

WRT FSU, sports wise, they are a football school in a basketball conference.
I'm sure the SEC is telling them (truthfully), that joining the SEC will be very lucrative. From the academic side, the ACC is more prestigious than the SEC, but being in a state with a large population and tax base will tend to help your academic standing, regardless of conference. I'm guessing that the administration/faculty would prefer not to make the move.

Also, there are rumblings of super-conferences potentially forming, and the Big 10, PAC-12, and SEC will be likely survivors of any major realignment. The Big 12 would likely be doomed, and the ACC's and Big East's fates are less clear. So FSU may consider moving for stability's sake. Interesting times in the CFB world.

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:51 pm

Speculative potential changes in conference realignments such as this one usually turn out far different than what the pundits write/predict. It's a lot like stock picking, market forecasting and football forecasting. Nobody really knows what's going to happen until it happens.

Personally, I wish they would just leave things as is or make conferences smaller. Fourteen and 16 team mega-conferences will make for fewer conference champions and more disgruntled players, coaches and fans. College football is already too much like the NFL. The almighty dollar tail is wagging the sportmanship dog.

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:53 pm

schwarm wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:

Each of the schools has various advantages and disadvantages.

WRT FSU, sports wise, they are a football school in a basketball conference.
I'm sure the SEC is telling them (truthfully), that joining the SEC will be very lucrative. From the academic side, the ACC is more prestigious than the SEC, but being in a state with a large population and tax base will tend to help your academic standing, regardless of conference. I'm guessing that the administration/faculty would prefer not to make the move.

Also, there are rumblings of super-conferences potentially forming, and the Big 10, PAC-12, and SEC will be likely survivors of any major realignment. The Big 12 would likely be doomed, and the ACC's and Big East's fates are less clear. So FSU may consider moving for stability's sake. Interesting times in the CFB world.
I can't see Florida wanting to let FSU into the SEC. I think Florida doesn't want the Seminole program to have the extra money SEC membership would bring, so I think FSU is a long shot, as are Ga. Tech and Clemson for the same reason. Georgia wants to keep Ga. Tech poor and S. Carolina would like to see Clemson poor as well, as poverty limits their competitiveness.
gatorman

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:58 pm

gatorman wrote: I can't see Florida wanting to let FSU into the SEC. I think Florida doesn't want the Seminole program to have the extra money SEC membership would bring, so I think FSU is a long shot, as are Ga. Tech and Clemson for the same reason. Georgia wants to keep Ga. Tech poor and S. Carolina would like to see Clemson poor as well, as poverty limits their competitiveness.
gatorman
I'm not sure if that's really the motive, since none of those universities could really be considered "poor." Clemson and GaTech are both pretty loaded. In fact, I think Tech has one of the larger endowments amongst public universities, although I suppose that money goes mostly towards things other than sports. I think they just don't want to have to compete with them directly on the recruiting trail. Besides, I don't see Tech ever wanting to rejoin the SEC after what happened last time.

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:09 pm

This just in: Texas A&M is not being invited to join the SEC at the present time.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... tions-open

Bulldawg

Post by Bulldawg » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:12 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
gatorman wrote: I can't see Florida wanting to let FSU into the SEC. I think Florida doesn't want the Seminole program to have the extra money SEC membership would bring, so I think FSU is a long shot, as are Ga. Tech and Clemson for the same reason. Georgia wants to keep Ga. Tech poor and S. Carolina would like to see Clemson poor as well, as poverty limits their competitiveness.
gatorman
I'm not sure if that's really the motive, since none of those universities could really be considered "poor." Clemson and GaTech are both pretty loaded. In fact, I think Tech has one of the larger endowments amongst public universities, although I suppose that money goes mostly towards things other than sports. I think they just don't want to have to compete with them directly on the recruiting trail. Besides, I don't see Tech ever wanting to rejoin the SEC after what happened last time.
I'm too young to remember Tech in the SEC, but I understand Bobby Dodd and Bear Bryant had a great rivalry !

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:21 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
gatorman
I am a GT graduate (B.ME) and can tell you with certainty that the endowment is not available to the GT Athletic Association, which raises its own money. I was also an athlete at GT (track) and can tell you that when I was there, the facilities and support were abysmal. Maybe it has improved, but I was in Grant Field a couple of years ago for a game, and it is still the worst football stadium in the South, little changed from my years there except for the addition of some fat cat suites. I don't want to sound like I'm getting down on Tech though, it is a great college, in the Darwinian tradition of American universities (survival of the fittest), and taught me how to think and analyze, skills for which I will always be grateful.
gatorman

camper

Post by camper » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:28 pm

1. Bama (BCS Champ)
2. Oregon
3. Oklahoma
4. Nebraska
5. Virginia Tech

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:16 pm

Bulldawg wrote:I'm too young to remember Tech in the SEC, but I understand Bobby Dodd and Bear Bryant had a great rivalry !

It was much more than a rivalry. There was an incident in a Ga. Tech-Alabama game that ultimately led to Ga. Tech withdrawing from the SEC. The following is from wikipedia.org:

"Dodd's tenure included Georgia Tech's withdrawal from the Southeastern Conference.[16] The initial spark for Dodd's withdrawal was a historic feud with Alabama Crimson Tide Coach Bear Bryant.[18] The feud began when Tech was visiting the Tide at Denny Stadium in 1961. After a Tech punt, Alabama fair-caught the ball. Chick Granning of Tech was playing coverage and relaxed after the signal for the fair catch. Darwin Holt of Alabama continued play and smashed his elbow into Granning's face causing severe fracturing in his face, a broken nose, and blood-filled sinuses. Granning was knocked unconscious and suffered a severe concussion, the result of which left him unable to play football ever again. Dodd sent Bryant a letter asking Bryant to suspend Holt after game film indicated Holt had intentionally injured Granning.[18] Bryant never suspended Holt. The lack of discipline infuriated Dodd and sparked Dodd's interest in withdrawing from the SEC.
Another issue of concern for Dodd was Alabama's and other SEC schools' over-recruitment of players.[18] Universities would recruit more players than they had roster space for. During the summer practice sessions, the teams in question would cut the players well after signing day thus preventing the cut players from finding new colleges to play for. Dodd appealed the SEC administration to punish the "tryout camps" of his fellow SEC members but the SEC did not. Finally, Dodd withdrew Georgia Tech from the SEC in 1963.[18] Tech would remain an independent like Notre Dame and Penn State (at the time) during the final four years of Dodd's coaching tenure."

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Te ... s_football

greg24

Post by greg24 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:18 pm

I'll just share my thoughts on the B10 teams mentioned above.

Wisky is being overrated, IMNSHO. They will be good, but not national title contenders. Russell Wilson will be an upgrade since they didn't even have an average QB coming into the fall. I don't see MSU having any shot as a title contender, even though I really like QB Kirk Cousins. Ohio State probably has a better shot than those two.

Nebraska could certainly be the best team in the conference this year, but with their schedule I don't see how they can go undefeated.

The homer in me has to say that Iowa has as much a shot as anyone in the conference. I'm sure you'll think I'm crazy, but they will be good this year.

Edited to add: I attended the Kids Day open scrimmage at Kinnick Stadium yesterday. It sure is nice to find an excuse to spend a couple hours of a gorgeous day at a college stadium.

schwarm

Post by schwarm » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:44 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
gatorman
One other thing with regard to Clemson - they are more highly regarded academically than USC, which is unusual for a Ag/Eng/land grant school.
Leaving the ACC could endanger this.

I can see why Florida would prefer to keep FSU out, but 1) FSU already recruits well, 2) they already play UF every year, 3) FSU's ties to the ACC are not as long as most of the teams in the conference, and 4)
and there is some history of interest between FSU and SEC.

Not sure it would happen, but seems like a possibility.

schwarm

Post by schwarm » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:49 pm

mlebuf wrote:This just in: Texas A&M is not being invited to join the SEC at the present time.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... tions-open
I think technically, A&M has to apply for admission first, they do not officially get invited.
U Texas is already threatening lawsuits against the SEC, so they (the SEC) doesn't want to look like the initiator.
Also, ESPN isn't exactly an impartial observer in this whole conference alignment issue.

Bulldawg

Post by Bulldawg » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:47 pm

gatorman wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
gatorman
I am a GT graduate (B.ME) and can tell you with certainty that the endowment is not available to the GT Athletic Association, which raises its own money. I was also an athlete at GT (track) and can tell you that when I was there, the facilities and support were abysmal. Maybe it has improved, but I was in Grant Field a couple of years ago for a game, and it is still the worst football stadium in the South, little changed from my years there except for the addition of some fat cat suites. I don't want to sound like I'm getting down on Tech though, it is a great college, in the Darwinian tradition of American universities (survival of the fittest), and taught me how to think and analyze, skills for which I will always be grateful.
gatorman
Gatorman,

you must have been as talented academically as athletically as most athletes at GT major in Industrial Management instead of engineering....I believe they call it riding the M train, correct ?

A.D. Dan Radakovich is working hard to improve conditions there with the addition of an indoor practice facility opening this month. Bobby Dodd stadium is woefully small with a capacity of 55000... and Tech struggles to fill that !