Major hail damage on new car. What should insurance do?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
cowboyinasia

Major hail damage on new car. What should insurance do?

Post by cowboyinasia » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:46 pm

Greetings,

Three months ago today I took delivery of a factory ordered 2011 Ford Explorer. I bought it using tactics and advice contributed through the kindness of wise and savvy bogleheads here http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... highlight=.

The 'funny' thing is, last week we had a major hail storm. Worst I have ever seen in my life. It was 25 minutes of constant hammering. Hailstones measured up to 2 inches across. When it was done the ground was covered with 3 inches of accumulation, deciduous trees had been stripped of 1/2 their leaves, and roofs and cars had been pummeled. As near as I can tell, every home for blocks around will have their roof replaced.

Any car caught out in the storm was damaged. My own vehicle now sports ~120 pits and dings and dents in the hood. The roof is in similar shape. Hear and there near the top of doors are similar injuries.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with the adjustor from Geico. My insurance includes 'comprehensive' and 'temporary rental car'. I've not been through this before, so I'm not sure what to expect them to cover exactly above the deductible. I've heard comments from neighbors about using dry ice to take out dings. One claims that Titan is going to 'replace' the hood and the roof on his truck to the tune of over $6,000.

So my question is, what should I expect Geico to pay for beyond the deductible? Dry ice treatment? A brand new hood and roof? A paint job? ???

Thanks for any suggestions!

norookie

Post by norookie » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:53 pm

:D Get 3 estimates FROM your choice of shops. I'd consult the Dent wiz guys, and 2 shops before I spoke to him. Brand new should get a brand new hood, and restoration to like NIB. JMO Then, again I only know negotiations these days, not the "fix it" I used to supervise 25+ yrs ago.
Last edited by norookie on Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c

Stevewc

Post by Stevewc » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:56 pm

There are so called paint less dent removal folks.
Might look into it, I've heard they can work wonders.
Let us all know if you go that route. I would love to know if these people can really get the dents out. If there are any ice tricks they will know about it for sure.
Steve
Ladies and Gentiles | Monkeys and Reptiles | I come before ya, to stand behind ya, tell you something I know nothing about !!!

norookie

Post by norookie » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:17 pm

Stevewc wrote:There are so called paint less dent removal folks.
Might look into it, I've heard they can work wonders.
Let us all know if you go that route. I would love to know if these people can really get the dents out. If there are any ice tricks they will know about it for sure.
Steve
:D THEY CAN. It amazed me too. They drill holes, go in with custom tools and heat /ice applications and leave your auto not new, but as new. With a few dollars for you,... 4 your "acceptance" of that fix. :wink: Face it , a autos body, is beer can "skin" or plastic's these days.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c

Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:07 am

I have GEICO car insurance. They have been top drawer with my claims and are very easy to work with. Your policy will tell you what to expect regarding payments. I have taken my vehicles to dealers in order make sure I did not get 3rd party parts and had no problem from the insurance company. All of your activities are viewable on line as well.

The last body shop visit about a month ago was due to hitting a deer on the way to work. The shop found addiitonal damage the GEICO adjuster did not note, the shop notified GEICO and GEICO settled the extra costs directly with the shop. No hassles and no extra cost beyond my deductable. I found out when I came to pick up the truck and it was in the paperwork.

BTW - The deer lived. I hope he told all of his buddies that Chevy trucks do not respect deer pedestrians.

edited to add - and my insurance cost has not risen a single penny after filing a claim.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:38 am

My dad had great luck with the painless dent repair route several years ago. He actually ended up ahead after insurance as the adjuster just cut him a check that was for more than the final cost (he notified the adjuster but they said that was the settlement and he was free to keep the balance).

fishndoc

Post by fishndoc » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:06 am

Never used it, but I hear good things about the dent removal process - I know that is what new car dealers do when hail damage hits their lot, and I suspect the repaired cars are sold as new.

But, your new car's carfax will forever show that it was repaired, and it WILL decrease the value of your vehicle, unless you keep it until it's a junker.
In my state, the insurance company is required to pay you for loss of value, as well as the cost of repair.
I don't know what the law is in your state, but if LOV is required to be covered by your state, don't be shy in making certain it is adequate - if the law requires it, you are paying for it in your premiums.

You could get an idea of a reasonable value by checking with a local dealer, or maybe Carmax - just ask them how much the repair history will lower the value of your car if you traded it in.
" Successful investing involves doing just a few things right, and avoiding serious mistakes." - J. Bogle

zinnia

Post by zinnia » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:40 pm

check to see if your state requires your insurance company to pay you for diminished value....

Candor

Post by Candor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:58 pm

Paintless dent repair will likely be the route they take unless the damage is severe. It is a very effective repair procedure for hail damage. Generally the hood and trunk are replaced if the damage is very heavy and this will require painting these parts and possibly blending into the adjacent panels. The roof is welded in and requires it to be cut out and a new one welded back which is only done in severely damaged panels. Any reputable shop should provide a lifetime guarantee on their work. You will owe your deductible and anything beyond that your insurance co will cover.

Many states bar you from presenting a diminished value claim for a first party claim, ie. a comprehensive hail claim, so you may want to check into your states law regarding that possibility.

Toronto5

medical malpractice lawyer louisiana

Post by Toronto5 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:25 am

Hello,
In Louisiana, there are special procedures which must be followed in medical malpractice cases. For example, in Louisiana, a claim must be filed with the State before a lawsuit can be filed. This claim is then reviewed by a panel of three Louisiana doctors, who give an opinion about whether any health care provider committed malpractice.Only after the panel has reached its decision can a lawsuit be filed. There are many complicated details to this Louisiana panel procedure, and many traps for the inexperienced Louisiana attorney

cowboyinasia

Post by cowboyinasia » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:50 am

Thanks for the ideas. I did take it to a couple of shops before meeting the adjustor, which educated me on methods and insurance claims.

I will go the painless dent repair route, rather than drilling holes, etc. And I am pretty sure there will be an adjustment upwards during the repair cycle for a job this size. Candor had a good prediction. New hood, new roof with all the work that entails, PDR for the sides, some molding, and two new Ford emblems. (one emblem is $68. Heck, it is advertising for them . . . That part should be free!)

I will use a recommended Geico shop. That way if the repair fails at some point in the future Geico will cover it, even if I am living in another state.

Oh, and the final estimate? $6,322.75.

jbmitt

Post by jbmitt » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:52 am

I used to write hail damage for Progressive. I would be concerned about replacing the roof. I never liked writing for roof replacements, because of the concerns where the shop literally hacks the old one off and replaces it.

A roof replacement is easily 4k with labor and parts and comes with structural concerns. I'd just assume try to repair a roof, they have lots of access even if it means removing the headliner for access and replacing the headliner.

I've been impressed by the PDR paintless dent removal. Just make sure the paint isn't nicked, because then it does need more common repair and repaint. If you plan to hang on to the car, take it to a place that offers a lifetime guarantee just in case there are paint problems, etc that appear later on down the road.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:17 am

kenschmidt wrote:My dad had great luck with the painless dent repair route several years ago. He actually ended up ahead after insurance as the adjuster just cut him a check that was for more than the final cost (he notified the adjuster but they said that was the settlement and he was free to keep the balance).
If there is no lien on the car, that is always that option, to take the money and not do the repairs or do a cheaper repair. I have done that a few times. I'm pretty sure if someone wanted to "fix" hail damage by cutting off the roof of my car, I'd choose to put the money in my pocket and drive with the dings or do something cheaper and less drastic.

One old car we had was hit in the rear bumper two different times a couple years apart. Each time the bumper was scratched and gouged in a different place and we collected about $400 without repairing it.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

cowboyinasia

Post by cowboyinasia » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:55 pm

jbmitt wrote:I used to write hail damage for Progressive. I would be concerned about replacing the roof. I never liked writing for roof replacements, because of the concerns where the shop literally hacks the old one off and replaces it.

A roof replacement is easily 4k with labor and parts and comes with structural concerns. I'd just assume try to repair a roof, they have lots of access even if it means removing the headliner for access and replacing the headliner.

I've been impressed by the PDR paintless dent removal. Just make sure the paint isn't nicked, because then it does need more common repair and repaint. If you plan to hang on to the car, take it to a place that offers a lifetime guarantee just in case there are paint problems, etc that appear later on down the road.
Yes, I don't really want to replace the roof either. But it now sports 200 to 300 dents in it. The Geico adjustor took one look at it and said 'I hate to do this, but it's going to have to be replaced'. He explained the issues like cutting, welding, protection from future leaks etc. Two different body-shops guys took one glance and both immediately said 'that's a replace'. Good reminder about the lifetime guarantee . . . that is something I can still control.

The thing has a lien, so I guess I can't just take the money. In any case, my lovely vehicle is just 3 months old so I want the poor, beaten thing patched up.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:00 pm

cowboyinasia wrote:
jbmitt wrote:I used to write hail damage for Progressive. I would be concerned about replacing the roof. I never liked writing for roof replacements, because of the concerns where the shop literally hacks the old one off and replaces it.

Yes, I don't really want to replace the roof either. But it now sports 200 to 300 dents in it. The Geico adjustor took one look at it and said 'I hate to do this, but it's going to have to be replaced'. He explained the issues like cutting, welding, protection from future leaks etc. Two different body-shops guys took one glance and both immediately said 'that's a replace'. Good reminder about the lifetime guarantee . . . that is something I can still control.

The thing has a lien, so I guess I can't just take the money. In any case, my lovely vehicle is just 3 months old so I want the poor, beaten thing patched up.
if you did want to just take the money and drive with the dents, then talk with the lender and see what choices they may offer you.