Does Anyone Else Love Morningstar (Burgers)?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut » Tue May 24, 2011 6:18 pm

I tried these a long time ago because I wanted to eat healthier. But man, I really love these!

http://www.morningstarfarms.com/product ... rgers.aspx

Of course, the next question is "what beer goes best with them?". I am testing this one:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/73/1575

Needless to say, I have a pretty good dinner going for me tonight. :)

stevewolfe

Post by stevewolfe » Tue May 24, 2011 7:11 pm

Yes, I've got 1 left from a box in the freezer now. They are particularly good with spicy mustard, ketchup and the Borden's Sharp fat free cheese. :) mmmm

etarini

Post by etarini » Tue May 24, 2011 9:43 pm

My wife and I have found that these give us a reasonable facsimile of the burger experience - on a toasted bun with ketchup, mustard, and an onion slice - without any of the saturated fat or carcinogens from grilling. They're lower in calories than a burger and have fiber and plenty of protein. I grew up loving hamburgers but we don't miss them at all.

Eric

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Tue May 24, 2011 9:46 pm

I don't buy them, I used to but not for years. Any soy bean product that does not clearly state on the front of the box NO GMO's (they are bragging and for good reason) is made from GMO soybeans. Personally I don't care for Roundup with my veggie burger. YMMV. :lol:

boffalora

Post by boffalora » Tue May 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Agree with etarini. Haven't had a beef burger in years. Morningstar Grillers Prime burgers are as close to the real deal as they come. http://www.morningstarfarms.com/product ... rgers.aspx

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Tue May 24, 2011 10:22 pm

Big fan of Morningstar burgers and just about anything else they make.

Their breakfast biscuit thingies, the fake sausage patties and links, the fake McRibs, the fake ground beef crumbles (mix with Manwich for "soy-loppy" joes!)... good stuff!

Their fake bacon and chicken nuggets aren't so hot, but hey, you can't win 'em all. (Quorn makes far better fake chicken, and I've never found good fake bacon.)

Amy's Kitchen makes a lot of good veggie products too, including burgers.

JJ

P.S. Don't really care if the soybeans are GMO or not. Better living through science! :-)
Stay on target...

mcrunyan

Post by mcrunyan » Tue May 24, 2011 10:36 pm

JupiterJones wrote:Big fan of Morningstar burgers and just about anything else they make.

+1

And the burger crumbles make some mean tacos.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue May 24, 2011 10:51 pm

FYI, Costco sells them but there version is a lot larger than then normal retail store version.

gcturp

Post by gcturp » Tue May 24, 2011 11:20 pm

The 'fake' corn dogs are great too!

SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman » Wed May 25, 2011 12:13 am

Morningstar?
Do they have style boxes?

Thanks
SP-diceman

Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut » Wed May 25, 2011 6:37 am

Watty wrote:FYI, Costco sells them but there version is a lot larger than then normal retail store version.

THose are actually the ones I bought. They are 1/4 pound in a box of 12.

I just hope I don't eat so many I get tired of them.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Wed May 25, 2011 7:48 am

zaplunken wrote:I don't buy them, I used to but not for years. Any soy bean product that does not clearly state on the front of the box NO GMO's (they are bragging and for good reason) is made from GMO soybeans. Personally I don't care for Roundup with my veggie burger. YMMV. :lol:

Thats why I eat Wildwood veggie burgers.

http://www.pulmuonewildwood.com/burger.asp

gatorking

Post by gatorking » Wed May 25, 2011 8:11 am

I don't eat food that imitates other food.

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:24 am

I'm a meat-eater and still love Morningstar products. I'm a big fan of the crumbles and the boneless buffalo wings. I don't care for the Prime Griller burgers, but really enjoy the chicken and turkey burgers.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Wed May 25, 2011 8:28 am

Morningstar does make a tasty veggie burger. I prefer veggie burgers based on black beans or quinoa instead of soy or rice.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Wed May 25, 2011 8:29 am

Morningstar does make a tasty veggie burger. I prefer veggie burgers based on black beans or quinoa instead of soy or rice.

RaleighStClaire

Post by RaleighStClaire » Wed May 25, 2011 10:36 am

Boglenaut wrote:
Watty wrote:FYI, Costco sells them but there version is a lot larger than then normal retail store version.

THose are actually the ones I bought. They are 1/4 pound in a box of 12.

I just hope I don't eat so many I get tired of them.

As a devout carnivore I recently have been turned on to these patties (it doesn't seem right calling them burgers) at Costco. I must say, they are incredible. I prefer them over beef now! A pack of 12 costs about $14 and I think I can eat all 12 in a single sitting although I have to stop at 2 or the woman fusses.
Where's that red one gonna go?

minesweep

Post by minesweep » Wed May 25, 2011 12:10 pm

I eat a Boca burger a couple of times a week. Toppings include Hunt’s ketchup, slice of Swiss cheese, & onion. Plus a side dish Bush’s baked beans.

Morningstar burger? Boca burger? Does one taste better than the other?

Mike

RaleighStClaire

Post by RaleighStClaire » Wed May 25, 2011 12:30 pm

minesweep wrote:I eat a Boca burger a couple of times a week. Toppings include Hunt’s ketchup, slice of Swiss cheese, & onion. Plus a side dish Bush’s baked beans.

Morningstar burger? Boca burger? Does one taste better than the other?

Mike

I thought the Bocas tasted good until I had a Morningstar. Not close, in my opinion!
Where's that red one gonna go?

minesweep

Post by minesweep » Wed May 25, 2011 12:45 pm

Thanks!

I'll give them a taste test.

Mike

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed May 25, 2011 12:59 pm

I'm quite partial to Grillers Prime.

But they're pretty expensive and I doubt they're particularly healthy.

They have 9 grams of fat which is only low compared to beef. Their website doesn't seem to have the ingredients list, which is a little suspicious, and I'm not near a package, but I doubt you can get gummy, bland soy to taste beefy with a good wallop something evil, likely MSG, probably hidden under some other name--all-natural sea-vegetable extract or something.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

shawcroft

Grillers Prime

Post by shawcroft » Wed May 25, 2011 1:11 pm

I, too, like the Morningstar Grillers Prime. They have about the closest taste to beef. Many of the similar products made by other companies seem to be reprocessed sawdust held together by Elmer's Glue with bits of vegetable.
But, that's just my simple-minded view of things....
Shawcroft

minesweep

Post by minesweep » Wed May 25, 2011 1:25 pm

nisiprius wrote:I'm quite partial to Grillers Prime.

But they're pretty expensive and I doubt they're particularly healthy.

They have 9 grams of fat which is only low compared to beef. Their website doesn't seem to have the ingredients list, which is a little suspicious, and I'm not near a package, but I doubt you can get gummy, bland soy to taste beefy with a good wallop something evil, likely MSG, probably hidden under some other name--all-natural sea-vegetable extract or something.

Ingredients:
TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (WHEAT GLUTEN, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, WATER FOR HYDRATION), CORN OIL, SUNFLOWER OIL, EGG WHITES, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF CORNSTARCH, NATURAL FLAVORS FROM NON-MEAT SOURCES, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, SALT, CARAMEL COLOR, ONION POWDER, SPICES, HYDROLYZED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (CORN, WHEAT, AND SOY), GARLIC POWDER, POTATO STARCH, MALTODEXTRIN, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, DISODIUM INOSINATE, SUCCINIC ACID, SUGAR, NONFAT DRY MILK, SOYBEAN OIL, WHEAT FIBER.

Allergen Information:
CONTAINS WHEAT, SOY, EGG AND MILK INGREDIENTS

MorningStar Farms® Grillers Prime® Veggie Burgers

Mike

minesweep

Post by minesweep » Wed May 25, 2011 1:27 pm

deleted - duplicate posting

Mike
Last edited by minesweep on Wed May 25, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott S

Post by Scott S » Wed May 25, 2011 1:30 pm

SP-diceman wrote:Morningstar?
Do they have style boxes?

Thanks
SP-diceman

They're heavily tilted to vegetable stocks, but one should check the label for animal products included to "goose" the numbers. :wink:

- Scott
My Plan: * Age-10 in bonds until I reach age 60, 50/50 thereafter. * Equity split: 50/50 US/Int'l, Bond split: 50/50 TBM/TIPS. * Everything over 2 months' expenses gets invested.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed May 25, 2011 1:38 pm

minesweep wrote:
nisiprius wrote: I doubt you can get gummy, bland soy to taste beefy with a good wallop something evil, likely MSG, probably hidden under some other name--all-natural sea-vegetable extract or something.
AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT... HYDROLYZED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (CORN, WHEAT, AND SOY)
Yep. Bingo. "Hydrolyzed vegetable protein" is pretty much MSG by another name. I mean, it isn't, but it breaks down into glutamate or forms glutamate or something like that. I have no idea what "autolyzed yeast extract" is but since it has "lyzed" in it I'm suspicious of that, too.

Quite a few ingredients there... I don't think Michael Pollan would consider this to be "food."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

minesweep

Post by minesweep » Wed May 25, 2011 1:39 pm

Ingredients: WATER, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, REDUCED FAT CHEDDAR CHEESE (PASTEURIZED PART-SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES, ANNATTO (COLOR), VITAMIN A PALMITATE), WHEAT GLUTEN, CORN OIL, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF METHYLCELLULOSE, HYDROLYZED CORN PROTEIN, WHEAT GLUTEN AND SOY PROTEIN, SALT, CARAMEL COLOR, CHEESE POWDER (CHEDDAR CHEESE (MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES), CREAM, SALT, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, LACTIC ACID), DRIED ONIONS, YEAST EXTRACT, NATURAL FLAVOR (NON-MEAT), SESAME OIL, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, DISODIUM INOSINATE, BROWNED IN CORN OIL.

Total Fat 5g 8 % Saturated Fat 1.5g 8 % Trans Fat 0g 0 % Monounsaturated Fat 1.5g 0 % Cholesterol 5mg 1 % Sodium 380mg 16 % Total Carbohydrate 6g 2 % Dietary Fiber 5g 20 % Sugars 0g Protein 14g

Boca all American Flame Grilled

Mike

shawcroft

Just what is this stuff???

Post by shawcroft » Wed May 25, 2011 2:06 pm

Still looks like the main ingredients are reprocessed sawdust and Elmer's glue.
Shawcroft

Stonebr

Re: Just what is this stuff???

Post by Stonebr » Wed May 25, 2011 2:19 pm

shawcroft wrote:Still looks like the main ingredients are reprocessed sawdust and Elmer's glue.
Shawcroft

You should see what goes into cattle!
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear

minesweep

Post by minesweep » Wed May 25, 2011 2:19 pm

nisiprius wrote:Yep. Bingo. "Hydrolyzed vegetable protein" is pretty much MSG by another name. I mean, it isn't, but it breaks down into glutamate or forms glutamate or something like that. I have no idea what "autolyzed yeast extract" is but since it has "lyzed" in it I'm suspicious of that, too. I have no idea what "autolyzed yeast extract" is but since it has "lyzed" in it I'm suspicious of that, too.

What is hydrolyzed vegetable protein?
It's a "flavour enhancer" used in processed foods like soups, chili, sauces, gravies, stews and some meat products like hot dogs. It's in some dips and snacks like potato chips and pretzels.

You'll also find it in some mass-produced vegetarian products made of soy.

Hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP) is produced by boiling foods such as soy, corn, or wheat in hydrochloric acid and then neutralizing the solution with sodium hydroxide. The acid breaks down the protein in vegetables into their component amino acids.

One of the amino acids in the dark-coloured liquid that's left is glutamic acid. Consumers are more familiar with glutamic acid in the form of its sodium salt — monosodium glutamate, or MSG.

A similar product — derived from dairy products — is hydrolyzed whey protein.

Yeast extract
Yeast extract is the common name for various forms of processed yeast products made by extracting the cell contents (removing the cell walls); they are used as food additives or flavourings, or as nutrients for bacterial culture media. They are often used to create savory flavors and umami taste sensations. Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is used for umami. Yeast extract, like MSG, often contains free glutamic acid. Yeast extracts in liquid form can be dried to a light paste or a dry powder. Glutamic acid in yeast extracts are produced from an acid-base fermentation cycle, only found in some yeasts, typically ones bred for use in baking.

Autolyzed yeast (containing the cell walls) or autolyzed yeast extract consists of concentrations of yeast cells that are allowed to die and break up, so that the yeasts' endogenous digestive enzymes break their proteins down into simpler compounds (amino acids and peptides).

Yeast autolysates are used in Vegemite (Australia), Marmite, Promite, Oxo (New Zealand, South Africa, United Kingdom, and Republic of Ireland), Cenovis (Switzerland) and Vitam-R (Germany). Bovril (United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland) switched from beef extract to yeast extract for 2005 and most of 2006, but later switched back.

The general method for making yeast extract for food products such as Vegemite and Marmite on a commercial scale is to add sodium chloride to a suspension of yeast, making the solution hypertonic, which leads to the cells shrivelling up; this triggers autolysis, in which the yeast self-destructs. The dying yeast cells are then heated to complete their breakdown, after which the husks (yeast with thick cell walls) are separated. Removing the cell walls concentrates the flavors and changes the texture.

Without the flavoring soy wouldn’t taste like beef.

Mike

Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut » Wed May 25, 2011 2:49 pm

RaleighStClaire wrote:
minesweep wrote:Morningstar burger? Boca burger? Does one taste better than the other?

Mike

I thought the Bocas tasted good until I had a Morningstar. Not close, in my opinion!

Boca burgers taste OK, but I sincerely like the Morningstar black bean ones a lot better.

as far as health, i am cutting back on Wendy's Jr and other fast food burgers, so I am pretty sure these patties would be better.

Now, Part II of my post... I live a better bitter beer, so the IPA I had with them last night was a good choice for me. I'll try heffeweizen when i get around to finishing the IPA.

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Wed May 25, 2011 3:10 pm

Commodore Perry IPA is pretty good, not my favorite from Great Lakes but still a good one...just finished a 6 pack of those last week. Edmund Fitzgerald is amazing if you haven't had that yet.

etarini

Post by etarini » Wed May 25, 2011 4:05 pm

Gatorking wrote:I don't eat food that imitates other food.

nisiprius wrote:They have 9 grams of fat which is only low compared to beef.

Sure, eating beans or soy au naturel is better for you (and most often tastier) than eating either one flavored to resemble a "burger", and cheaper, too - but that wasn't the OP's question. The Grillers Prime has only 1 gram of saturated fat - the fat you need to care about - and is far lower in calories, saturated fat, and total fat than a beef burger. If people substituted them for Whoppers, they'd lose weight and be healthier. And they could be a gateway food to healthier, vegetarian-oriented eating.

Eric

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Wed May 25, 2011 4:48 pm

JupiterJones wrote:P.S. Don't really care if the soybeans are GMO or not. Better living through science! :-)

That is a very curious comment. Since most people eat meat I'd think someone eating veggie burgers is doing it for 1 of 2 reasons -

1. they are a vegetarian
2. reduction of meat intake for health reasons

Now if it is #2 I'm surprised that you ignore the fact that any soy based food that does not state NO GMO's is grown using Roundup ready soy beans. RRSB are genetically modified to live after being sprayed with Roundup which is a deadly herbicide that kills all plant life! So not only do those soy beans have something in the plant to survive a deadly poison but the plants then grow and produce soy beans after being spayed with roundup and in soil that is contaminated with Roundup. Surely Roundup is taken into the plant and is present in the soy beans. I don't view this as a healthy alternative.

Please don't misunderstand me - I am not lecturing you but I am curious why you think this is acceptable to eat? Your choice is acceptable to me but I would be curious why you think it is ok, I promise to not criticize your reasoning.

Thank you.

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Wed May 25, 2011 4:49 pm

JupiterJones wrote:P.S. Don't really care if the soybeans are GMO or not. Better living through science! :-)

That is a very curious comment. Since most people eat meat I'd think someone eating veggie burgers is doing it for 1 of 2 reasons -

1. they are a vegetarian

Now if it is #2 I'm surprised that you ignore the fact that any soy based food that does not state NO GMO's is grown using Roundup ready soy beans. RRSB are genetically modified to live after being sprayed with Roundup which is a deadly herbicide that kills all plant life! So not only do those soy beans have something in the plant to survive a deadly poison but the plants then grow and produce soy beans after being spayed with roundup and in soil that is contaminated with Roundup. Surely Roundup is taken into the plant and is present in the soy beans. I don't view this as a healthy alternative.

Please don't misunderstand me - I am not lecturing you but I am curious why you think this is acceptable to eat? Your choice is acceptable to me but I would be curious why you think it is ok, I promise to not criticize your reasoning.

Thank you.

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Wed May 25, 2011 4:50 pm

1. they are a vegetarian

Thank you.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Wed May 25, 2011 5:28 pm

zaplunken wrote:That is a very curious comment. Since most people eat meat I'd think someone eating veggie burgers is doing it for 1 of 2 reasons -

1. they are a vegetarian

Now if it is #2 [...]

It's not. It's #1. I prefer not to eat animals.

But I don't really have a problem with genetic modification. After all, we've sort of been "genetically modifying" things for eons via selective breeding, grafting, etc. I see GMO as merely a new way of doing basically the same thing. If I get a little Roundup(tm) in me, well, them's the breaks. I'm not going to freak out about it.

That's an admittedly a rare attitude among vegetarians, but there you have it. :-)

JJ
Stay on target...

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Wed May 25, 2011 10:05 pm

Only the 5-star rated ones.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

GeneralPerson

Post by GeneralPerson » Thu May 26, 2011 11:39 am

I like Morningstar but I like the Trader's Joe Masala Burger more. IMHO, the Trader's Joe Masala burgers are the yummiest vegetarian burgers you can buy from a store.

Uninvested

Post by Uninvested » Thu May 26, 2011 7:41 pm

I am a vegetarian and eat them on occasion. I used to eat them often but all of these have a lot of salt. Similarly salt free ketchup is loaded with high fructose corn syrup. To the poster about it breaking down to glutamate, it is not the glutamate that is the problem with MSG. Rather it is the sodium.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri May 27, 2011 10:35 pm

Just tried the spicy black bean burgers (Morningstar) due to this thread and enjoyed them. Unfortunately my wife can't eat too much spicy food.

Is there a black bean based version that is not spicy?

If not I suppose we'll try the soy based ones for her.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Sat May 28, 2011 10:11 am

FrugalInvestor wrote:Just tried the spicy black bean burgers (Morningstar) due to this thread and enjoyed them. Unfortunately my wife can't eat too much spicy food.

Is there a black bean based version that is not spicy?

If not I suppose we'll try the soy based ones for her.

Or you could go with veggie-based and/or grain-based burgers. They don't try to taste like real hamburgers, but they're good nonetheless.

Amy's Kitchen makes good ones. The Publix "greenwise" brand is good too.

You can also make your own black bean patties. I've never done it, but I don't think it would be that hard. Tons of recipes out there on the intertubes.

JJ
Stay on target...

skylar

Post by skylar » Sat May 28, 2011 12:59 pm

I'm more a fan of Garden Burgers than Morningstar. It's been so long since I've had meat that I couldn't tell you if they test like real burgers, but they are tasty. My favorite burger though is a straight-up fresh portabello mushroom.

Skylar

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Sat May 28, 2011 1:10 pm

I like Morningstar, but only when I'm being good on my diet.

If I'm not watching what I eat, I rather a Big Mac or a nice burger from my local diner.

Corporate Orphan

BBQ ribs

Post by Corporate Orphan » Sun May 29, 2011 2:01 pm

We like Moringstar BBQ ribs better than the real thing!!! THeir fake sausage is good also. Alas, we consider these products "vegetarian junk food" so we try to limit our consumption of them.

Try looking at the labels, they are very high in salt and some are high in fat. THe ingredient lists tend to be very long and unrecognizable and I have a masters in food science!