Getting charged extra for bread on a sandwich

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Billy Pilgrim

Getting charged extra for bread on a sandwich

Post by Billy Pilgrim » Sat May 21, 2011 9:19 pm

Yesterday for lunch, I stopped by a local sandwich shop to pick up a hero chips and a soda.

Below is a description of the receipt.

Open no tax 2.00 -This was my soda

Open no tax .99 -This was my chips

Open taxable 7.50 -This was my hero

Wedge 2.00

5.00xItems

When I saw the extra charge for two bucks, I asked the cashier what the charge was for. The cashier told me that since I bought a hero, I would be charged extra for bread. I told the cashier understood that I would be charged for the bread but I thought it was odd how I was charged for it.

Whenever I buy a hero the price of bread is included in the sandwich which results in a higher price for the sandwich.

I gave the cashier the example of buying a burger for 5 bucks and buying a cheeseburger for 6 bucks. Not 5 bucks for the burger and then charged separately for the cheese.

The cashier did not really have an answer. I decided to let it go. I do not come here very often and I am definitely not coming back. I felt like they were pulling shenanigans, since the bread is treated as a separate item.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Is this normal? Is this some type of creative accounting?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat May 21, 2011 9:37 pm

Did you choose the bread? I can see a roll (smaller) or wheat (smaller) sandwiches as being cheaper than a hero. It's kinda like a Subway charging you more for the bigger sandwich isn't it? However, the cashier wasn't very bright on the explanation.

What if they said, "Sandwiches are $7.50 and heroes are $2 extra", would that make you happy?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat May 21, 2011 9:44 pm

It's a scam! Give me a break - $2 for hero bread. :roll: Yes, the price of commodities has gone up, but not to the extent you need to gouge the customer an extra $2. Funny, the bakeries by me have not raised their prices...they oughta know, they specialize in breads of all sorts.

Time to find a new hero place, Billy.

dkdoy

Post by dkdoy » Sat May 21, 2011 9:50 pm

GRT2BOUTDOORS wrote:
Agreed

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sat May 21, 2011 9:50 pm

When my wife and I ordered two cocktails on the rocks in a local restaurant we were charged $2.00 for the ice. Never, in the whole world, except in the old Soviet Union back in the 80s have I been charged for ice in a cocktail. I argued to no avail. Needless to say, I will never go back there again.
JIm
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy » Sat May 21, 2011 9:59 pm

Sheepdog wrote:When my wife and I ordered two cocktails on the rocks in a local restaurant we were charged $2.00 for the ice. Never, in the whole world, except in the old Soviet Union back in the 80s have I been charged for ice in a cocktail. I argued to no avail. Needless to say, I will never go back there again.
JIm
Pay with a credit card, then contest it with the CC company. I have never lost a charge contested with Chase.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Sat May 21, 2011 10:04 pm

$2 for a soda...No amount of refills are worth that. Same in my area, though. I usually just get a water, but sometimes I crave a coke

Billy Pilgrim

Post by Billy Pilgrim » Sat May 21, 2011 10:52 pm

livesoft wrote:Did you choose the bread? I can see a roll (smaller) or wheat (smaller) sandwiches as being cheaper than a hero. It's kinda like a Subway charging you more for the bigger sandwich isn't it? However, the cashier wasn't very bright on the explanation.

What if they said, "Sandwiches are $7.50 and heroes are $2 extra", would that make you happy?
That's not the point. It is not what they said. It is how I was charged for it. With your example they should have just charged me $9.50. But they did not do that. I got charged for 4 items when it was supposed to be for 3. The bread is not an item. It is part of the sandwich and the extra cost of the hero bread should reflect it in the price of the sandwich. It should not be treated as a separate item on the receipt.

I have no problem paying extra for hero bread. But the way I was charged for it felt dishonest to me.

I understand if they have to charge higher prices then they should just raise the price for the item itself. But instead of doing that, it looks like the owner/owners have decided to add an extra 2 bucks to the bill instead of changing the menus. I guess it is cheaper to do that than actually pay for new menus with new prices.
dkdoy wrote:
GRT2BOUTDOORS wrote:
Agreed
Oh, I'm gone and I am telling everyone to avoid this place. The place is not as busy as it used to be and it looks like because they moved. They used to be in a smaller storefront and then one of the their competitors across the street went out of business. So they took over their space right before Lehman imploded. So their overhead is much higher now.

SP-diceman

Re: Getting charged extra for bread on a sandwich

Post by SP-diceman » Sat May 21, 2011 11:03 pm

Billy Pilgrim wrote:Yesterday for lunch, I stopped by a local sandwich shop to pick up a hero chips and a soda.

Wedge 2.00

5.00xItems

When I saw the extra charge for two bucks, I asked the cashier what the charge was for. The cashier told me that since I bought a hero, I would be charged extra for bread.

I would have asked them how many orders they get for “breadless” hero sandwiches. :)

Thanks
SP-diceman

Billy Pilgrim

Re: Getting charged extra for bread on a sandwich

Post by Billy Pilgrim » Sat May 21, 2011 11:57 pm

SP-diceman wrote:
Billy Pilgrim wrote:Yesterday for lunch, I stopped by a local sandwich shop to pick up a hero chips and a soda.

Wedge 2.00

5.00xItems

When I saw the extra charge for two bucks, I asked the cashier what the charge was for. The cashier told me that since I bought a hero, I would be charged extra for bread.

I would have asked them how many orders they get for “breadless” hero sandwiches. :)

Thanks
SP-diceman
Thanks for pointing this out. I jut realized I forgot to mention the total.

It was $12.49

Also it was 4 items on the receipt not 5. But I only got 3 items.

I did ask what did the 7.50 pay for? Because it was definitely not a sandwich if they are charging me extra for the hero bread.

PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac » Sun May 22, 2011 12:07 am

Rather than post on this forum, you need to post on all the review forums (like Yelp and TravelAdvisor for hotels and so on). Google the name of this sandwich shop and see which sites show up on page 1. Then post reviews there where potential customer might see them. They will notice those!

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sun May 22, 2011 12:16 am

My bet is that there is a tax reason for the way they do it. Was the bread taxable?

Billy Pilgrim

Post by Billy Pilgrim » Sun May 22, 2011 12:28 am

PaddyMac wrote:Rather than post on this forum, you need to post on all the review forums (like Yelp and TravelAdvisor for hotels and so on). Google the name of this sandwich shop and see which sites show up on page 1. Then post reviews there where potential customer might see them. They will notice those!
The reason why I posted this on this forum is that in my experience bogleheads are some of the smartest people I have seen on line and I m curious to hear their opinions. But you are right I shoudl consider putting this on yelp and other reivew sites.
bottlecap wrote:My bet is that there is a tax reason for the way they do it. Was the bread taxable?
Well, this is where it got interesting. the cost of the hero bread and the cost of the sandwich were both taxed as one item.

rob

Post by rob » Sun May 22, 2011 12:43 am

Yeah feels like a scam the way it's charged. The old adage applies - a happy customer tells his best friend, an unhappy one tells all his friends - Hit up the review sites :-)
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sun May 22, 2011 12:54 am

A wedge is a hero or a submarine.
wikipedia wrote:Wedge (served between two wedges of bread)—Prevalent in Yonkers, New York and other parts of Westchester County, New York, The Bronx, lower Fairfield County, Connecticut, and portions of Upstate New York
AKA
Blimpie, Bomber, Cosmo, Filled Roll, Barb Mills, Grinder, Hoagie, Hodgson, Italian Sandwich, Poor boy, Po' Boy, Rocket, Salad Roll, Spuckie, Torpedo, Tunnel, Spiedie

And where is soda and chips not taxed but a sandwich is?

jives

Post by jives » Sun May 22, 2011 2:24 am

Shoulda got a po'boy instead. :D

Imperabo

Post by Imperabo » Sun May 22, 2011 3:27 am

Did you know that the price of the hero was really $9.50 when you bought it, and you're just disputing how the POS system divided it on your receipt? If so, you're argument is silly. This sort of thing is common. A receipt from a coffee shop might say +$.50 for the soy in your soy latte, and by your argument that's unacceptable because if you take out the soy it's no longer a latte. The whole thing boils down to whether the restaurant misrepresented the cost of the item before you bought it. If not, you're being ridiculous.

Imperabo

Post by Imperabo » Sun May 22, 2011 3:29 am

GRT2BOUTDOORS wrote:It's a scam! Give me a break - $2 for hero bread. :roll:

The charge probably isn't just for the bread. It may be for a larger overall sandwich.

NAVigator

Post by NAVigator » Sun May 22, 2011 6:03 am

Fortunately there wasn't another fee for the itemized billing!

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:26 am

Maybe a hero ham and cheese has more meat/cheese on it than a wheat ham and cheese? No way for us to tell. Most restaurants charge more for larger portions.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sun May 22, 2011 7:11 am

Billy Pilgrim wrote:
bottlecap wrote:My bet is that there is a tax reason for the way they do it. Was the bread taxable?
Well, this is where it got interesting. the cost of the hero bread and the cost of the sandwich were both taxed as one item.
Huh. Perhaps it is a scam. I imagine they won't be able to run it long...

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sun May 22, 2011 7:54 am

What did cost of the hero say on the menu, $7.50 or $9.50? If it said $9.50, I really have no idea why you're so upset.

ataloss

Post by ataloss » Sun May 22, 2011 8:48 am

no recycling fee or waste disposal fee?

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:58 am

ataloss wrote:no recycling fee or waste disposal fee?
Or fuel surcharge. That bread has to travel on a truck to get to the sandwich shop, you know... :roll:

investomajic

Post by investomajic » Sun May 22, 2011 11:25 am

Like some other's have said, if you knew the price was $9.50 total anyways, I don't see the big deal here. I'm having a tough time determining what your complaint is, I can only assume if it is to the point that you are considering not going back that you did indeed think the sandwich was going to cost $7.50?

If you knew the sandwich was going to be $9.50, I am curious if the $2.00 Wedge charge (as you called it) was non-taxable (you mentioned the tax status of every other line item). Perhaps this seperate $2.00 charge was done this way to save you on taxes?

matt

Post by matt » Sun May 22, 2011 11:38 am

sscritic wrote:And where is soda and chips not taxed but a sandwich is?
It could be that the all-powerful corn subsidy lobby has managed to get sales tax relief on corn products, as well. Just a guess.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sun May 22, 2011 11:47 am

matt wrote:
It could be that the all-powerful corn subsidy lobby has managed to get sales tax relief on corn products, as well. Just a guess.
And where is that tax? the sum of all the items before tax is $12.49, but the OP said that total bill was $12.49. So the tax rate is 0%?
Maybe it is the all-powerful potato lobby and the all-powerful sandwich meat lobby at work.

2 + .99 + 7.5 + 2 = $12.49
I jut realized I forgot to mention the total.

It was $12.49

Robert44

Post by Robert44 » Sun May 22, 2011 11:59 am

I have been charged 75 cents for ice for a manhattan on the rocks.
Next week charged $1.50 extra for a Martini ordered "UP".
Makes no sense.

matt

Post by matt » Sun May 22, 2011 12:01 pm

sscritic wrote:
matt wrote:
And where is that tax? the sum of all the items before tax is $12.49, but the OP said that total bill was $12.49. So the tax rate is 0%?
Maybe it is the all-powerful potato lobby and the all-powerful sandwich meat lobby at work.

2 + .99 + 7.5 + 2 = $12.49
I jut realized I forgot to mention the total.

It was $12.49
The $7.50 and $2.00 items may already be grossed up to include the tax. Where I live, the soda would be taxed, but not the rest.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sun May 22, 2011 12:43 pm

They may have those idiot-proof cash registers where the cashiers hit pictures of the items or hit touch-screen items. On those sorts of registers they can't or don't necessarily have the ability to enter each combination of menu items individually as on an old cash register where you ring up whatever you want in whatever combination as it is just numbers.

McDonalds does the same. If you buy your kid a happy meal you'll see the individual components itemized on the receipt screen but you can't buy them individually for those prices. It's just how their ordering system works.

jh

Post by jh » Sun May 22, 2011 12:59 pm

Last edited by jh on Fri May 27, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sun May 22, 2011 1:00 pm

texasdiver wrote:They may have those idiot-proof cash registers where the cashiers hit pictures of the items or hit touch-screen items. On those sorts of registers they can't or don't necessarily have the ability to enter each combination of menu items individually as on an old cash register where you ring up whatever you want in whatever combination as it is just numbers.

McDonalds does the same. If you buy your kid a happy meal you'll see the individual components itemized on the receipt screen but you can't buy them individually for those prices. It's just how their ordering system works.
I work for a retail company and we own and operate some restaurants. A big reason for this is for analysis purposes. If you run an item sales report, you want to be able to see each item. That's how it works for my company, at least.

Mister Whale

Post by Mister Whale » Sun May 22, 2011 2:46 pm

sscritic wrote: And where is soda and chips not taxed but a sandwich is?
In Virginia, pre-packaged items (supposedly for "home consumption") receive a tax discount compared to items made to be immediately consumed. Supposedly this definition comes from the federal food stamp definition. :shock:

Food Tax Reduction Program
" ... advice is most useful and at its best, not when it is telling you what to do, but when it is illuminating aspects of the situation you hadn't thought about." --nisiprius

daytona084

Post by daytona084 » Sun May 22, 2011 2:57 pm

Triple digit golfer wrote:What did cost of the hero say on the menu, $7.50 or $9.50? If it said $9.50, I really have no idea why you're so upset.
I agree. If the menu said $7.50, that's a problem. If the menu said $9.50, let them itemize all they want... itemize the bread, the meat, the mayo and every shred of lettuce individually, what would be the problem with that?

Harold

Post by Harold » Sun May 22, 2011 2:57 pm

I don't understand the question. Are they misleading about their prices?

If they say a sandwich should be $7.50, I'd expect to pay $7.50 -- no matter how they itemize the bill.

If they say a sandwich should be $9.50, I'd expect to pay $9.50 -- no matter how they itemize the bill.

If they say a sandwich is $7.50, and they try to charge me $9.50 -- I'd explain to them why I'm paying them only $7.50.

Best I can tell, maybe they're letting the customer think the sandwich is $7.50 and not clearly explaining potential additional charges. That doesn't seem acceptable.

Billy Pilgrim

Post by Billy Pilgrim » Sun May 22, 2011 6:34 pm

I knew I was going to pay more money for the hero roll. Usually it is included in the price of the sandwich. In this instance, the hero bread was charged as separate item. It was as if I had bough another soda. So was focused ont he bread. Here is the tax, which was .66. So with tax it comes out to $13.15

As I said before, this whole thing was strange to me in the way they charged me.

Considering what is going on these days, I think there is nothing wrong with being suspicious.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/drin ... 6HA7GflQ4J

SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman » Sun May 22, 2011 8:44 pm

wjwhitney wrote:
Triple digit golfer wrote:What did cost of the hero say on the menu, $7.50 or $9.50? If it said $9.50, I really have no idea why you're so upset.
I agree. If the menu said $7.50, that's a problem. If the menu said $9.50, let them itemize all they want... itemize the bread, the meat, the mayo and every shred of lettuce individually, what would be the problem with that?
If you didn’t get the mayo, lettuce, cheese, (and so on) would they reduce the price?
(I doubt it)

Typically a sandwich costs X and will only go up if you want extra. (never lower)
It doesn’t make sense from the restaurant standpoint to itemize everything.
(folks will lower costs by leaving off what they don’t want)

Seems like unnecessary paperwork. (compared to “sandwich”)

I can only guess their order/cash register system was revamped
and it has more detail for things that need it.
(like hamburger/veggie burger/cheese, no cheese)
When they put in the sandwich they had the spaces so they broke it up.
(probably used by the people behind the counter to know exactly what you ordered)

Its hard to believe they would want to invite the customer to leave things off
for lower cost.
(not to mention, a "breadless" sub makes no sense at all)

What’s next, pizza without the dough?
(would they charge less dough)

Thanks
SP-diceman

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun May 22, 2011 8:55 pm

OK, let me try to defend the "pricing" (just a stab), but not defend the way it was explained.

It sounds like (correct me if I am wrong) that you actually may have ordered and purchased a 7.50 sandwich (with the ham, cheese, whatever) and then, because you chose hero bread, there was an added $2.00 charge for the different bread. Had you gotten the sandwich with the "normal" bread, you probably would have been charged only the $7.50.

Perhaps similar to an ice cream cone. Typically the price might be $2.50 for one scoop cone (in normal cone) but an extra $1.00 for the waffle cone.

Post by 555 » Sun May 22, 2011 9:16 pm

I just want to add that if you make your own lunch and invest the savings of $V/lunch over your career with W% investment return, you will have saved $XYZ,000 by the time you retire.

Zander

Post by Zander » Sun May 22, 2011 9:38 pm

You'd be better off without the bread...... :lol:

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sun May 22, 2011 9:58 pm

Adjectives are expensive. Compare

burger vs cheese burger
fries vs chili fries
sandwich vs hero sandwich
and (for fans of In-N-Out) fries vs animal fries