Boglehead Hamburgers: Wendy's vs McDonalds

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Micky Ds was always my last choice in fast food until they came out with their new Angus burgers. They are quite tasty, but also quite expensive and fattening as they are a 1/3 pound burger. And of course mcds always had the best fries, altho the new wendys natural with sea salt fries are giving them a run for their money.
Mike
jazzykat

Post by jazzykat »

I like caviar, foie gras, champagne (not to be mixed up with sparkling wine) and Mc Donalds!

I unabashedly admit to enjoying Mc Donalds about once a week as a treat. I barely smoke cigars any more and don't have enough time to be hung over so besides not exercising enough I need my vice.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

I like both, but it's tough to beat a Wendy's double stack.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

If you're talking fast-food burgers, you should be talking Five Guys or In-And-Out or something like that. Chick-fil-a is also quality. Burger King comes in a distant 3rd but still ahead of both Wendy's and McDonalds.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

KyleAAA, Five Guys is the best. I'd eat them every day if I didn't mind being 400 pounds with every disease known to man.

Burger King is about 90th on my list.
3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler »

KyleAAA wrote:If you're talking fast-food burgers, you should be talking Five Guys or In-And-Out or something like that. Chick-fil-a is also quality.
Couldn't agree more. I missed those In-And-Out burgers after moving back from Reno. It's like the Chick-fil-a of burger joints. Great service with a simple menu. Hardee's Thickburgers are pretty good too.
matt

Post by matt »

bhmlurker wrote:SP-diceman said something about teenagers making minimum wage. That used to be the case in the 80s and early 90s. Now at all the fast food places I go, it seems to be adults working there. Except for Chick-fil-A still has a few teenagers once in a while. Pretty telling about the sad state of the current times.
I assume you're referring to the sad state of high minimum wages that discourage hiring inexperienced teenagers, right?
Scott S

Post by Scott S »

Hardee's/Carl's Jr > Wendy's > McDonald's, IMO. :wink:

- Scott
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

livesoft wrote:What does MunchkinMan say about this?
Greetings livesoft:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you very much for asking for the Munchkin Man's very considered opinions on this matter.

The Munchkin Man will now proceed to express these opinions in the remaining space of this message.

Overall, the Munchkin Man has found that the food and service at Wendy's is superior to the food and service at McDonald's.

The hamburgers at Wendy's taste better than the hamburgers at McDonald's.

During the Munchkin Man's trips to McDonald's during the past few years, the Munchkin Man has estimated that McDonald's has put cheese on the Munchkin Man's hamburgers approximately 50% of the time, even after the Munchkin Man has specifically requested them NOT to.

Wendy's has never made this mistake.

However, the Munchkin Man can cite one exception to the overall superior service found at Wendy's.

A few months ago, the Munchkin Man visited a Wendy's and ordered a hamburger without cheese.

The cashier exhibited a very poor and unprofessional attitude.

She actually complained out loud about how much extra trouble this task was going to be.

If the Munchkin Man was her manager, the Munchkin Man would have had her fired.

Nevertheless, the hamburger was prepared without cheese, just as the Munchkin Man requested.

The Munchkin Man has also always liked the chili at Wendy's.

The Munchkin Man always orders the large size and pours in three packets of their hot sauce.

However, the Munchkin Man liked it better when it was served in thier bowls instead of the cups they use today.

Sometimes, the Munchkin Man will order a baked potato at Wendy's.

The Munchkin Man likes baked potatoes.

The Munchkin Man feels very saddened by the fact that very few restaurants seem to serve baked potatoes these days.

When it comes to the french fries at McDonald's and Wendy's, the Munchkin Man gives a slight edge to Wendy's.

There are also many more McDonald's restaurants than Wendy's restaurants in the Munchkin Man's area.

This means that the Munchkin Man has made more trips to McDonald's than to Wendy's during the past few years.

The Munchkin Man will also add that the hamburgers and french fries at Hardee's have been going downhill in recent months.

However, one thing is for certain.

The hamburgers, french fries, and service at Five Guys are all vastly superior to those of both McDonald's and Wendy's and any other fast food chain in the Munchkin Man's area.

As a result, Five Guys has earned the distinction of becoming the Munchkin Man's favorite hamburger chain.

This concludes the Munchkin Man's comparative analysis of the food and service at McDonald's and Wendy's.

Good luck to all.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Moshito

Post by Moshito »

KyleAAA wrote:
EmergDoc wrote: I never understood that. If you're into vegetarian food, why would you get something designed to look like and be eaten like meat? I'd get a good pasta dish or something.
The good veggie burgers don't taste anything like meat. They taste much better. I'm surprised more non-vegetarians don't eat them.
They are really good and you can make your own. Plus who eats pasta at a BBQ?
hollowcave2

burgers

Post by hollowcave2 »

I like the idea of starting our own business called

Bogleheads Burgers

Reminds me of the TV show Bob's Burgers.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Munchkin Man wrote: The Munchkin Man has also always liked the chili at Wendy's.

Has the Munchkin Man ever tried my favorite: a plain baked potato, cut open, and filled with chili?
leod

Post by leod »

we prefer McD, we are tied to the happy meal until the kids grow up
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

bhmlurker wrote:SP-diceman said something about teenagers making minimum wage. That used to be the case in the 80s and early 90s. Now at all the fast food places I go, it seems to be adults working there. Except for Chick-fil-A still has a few teenagers once in a while. Pretty telling about the sad state of the current times.
Those teenagers never left. They are just adults now.
kerry75

Chaotic McDonald's

Post by kerry75 »

A previous poster stated that McDonald's workers often seem disorganized. I'm sure that many are quite competent and hard woprking but I'm still surprised at what I witnessed at one McDonald's.

My order was completely wrong but eventually they got it right. As I was seated eating my food I noticed that one customer after another got orders that were incorrect as to type of food, size (large vs small), condiments, etc. Every, and I mean EVERY, single order was wrong, usually regarding more than one item. Incorrectly prepared food (wrong topping, etc.) was being dumped.

Finishing my meal I stayed there about fifteen minutes more and just watched this never-ending parade of errors. The name of the franchisee was posted on the wall so when I got home I called him and eventually the franchisee called me back. He essentially said that he simply could not get competent help and that he was aware of the problem.
Beantown85

Post by Beantown85 »

Wendy's burgers are definitely a step above McDonald's, in my opinion. However, I do my best to eat them as infrequently as possible.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

mhalley wrote:Micky Ds was always my last choice in fast food until they came out with their new Angus burgers. They are quite tasty, but also quite expensive and fattening as they are a 1/3 pound burger. And of course mcds always had the best fries, altho the new wendys natural with sea salt fries are giving them a run for their money.
Mike
Yes, I like the Angus Burger very much as well. BUT - reading the listed calories, fat and sodium shows how nutritionally toxic this food is. The Angus Bacon & Cheese has 790 Calories, 39 grams total fat, 17 g saturated fat, 2,070 mg sodium and 63 g carbohydrates. Then add a large fries at 500 calories 25 g fat 350 mg sodium. Top it off with a Coke at 150 calories.

In the morning, get the Big breakfast with hotcakes at 1,090 calories 56 g total fat and 2150 mg sdium. Add syrup and margarine for another 220 calories
jmbkb4

Post by jmbkb4 »

jsl11 wrote:No mention of Burger King? At least their burgers are flame broiled instead of sitting on a grill soaking in grease.

Jeff
BK has much lower quality meat than McD
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

sscritic wrote:
Munchkin Man wrote: The Munchkin Man has also always liked the chili at Wendy's.

Has the Munchkin Man ever tried my favorite: a plain baked potato, cut open, and filled with chili?
Greetings sscritic:

The answer to your question is yes.

The Munchkin Man has never thought to try this at Wendy's

Instead, the Munchkin Man has tried the combination of a plain baked potato, cut open, and filled with chili, in at least a couple of other restaurants.

Unfortunately, the Munchkin Man was disappointed.

This was because the quality of the chili was mediocre at best.

The Munchkin Man believes the combination of a hot baked potato, cut open, and smothered with a homemade spicy chili, would create a wonderful taste combination.

The Munchkin Man cooked up a large pot of spicy homemade chili about ten years ago.

The Munchkin Man spent all day making that chili.

The Munchkin Man used several types of meat, including ground beef, bite size pieces of steak meat, and hot sausage.

The Munchkin Man added several varieties of chili peppers.

The Munchkin Man used black beans, which the Munchkin Man much prefers over pinto or kidney beans.

The Munchkin Man added chili pepper powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, black pepper, paprika, and probably a few other spices the Munchkin Man cannot think of right now.

The Munchkin Man added fresh sliced red onions, green peppers, habanero peppers, tomatoes, and garlic.

The Munchkin Man even added a couple of bottles of Mexican beer to the pot.

The Munchkin Man also added a few drops of Dave's Insanity Sauce.

The Munchkin Man also added some tomato paste and masa powder to achieve the desired thickness.

The Munchkin Man let it simmer for several hours.

The Munchkin Man made enough to store in at least a half dozen freezer containers.

Now you have motivated the Munchkin Man to make it again, and to try it with a baked potato, for one of the Munchkin Man's meals.

In closing, the Munchkin Man would like to thank you very much for the inspiration.

Bon Appetit!

Munchkin Man
SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman »

Munchkin Man wrote:
sscritic wrote:

Greetings sscritic:

The answer to your question is yes.

The Munchkin Man has never thought to try this at Wendy's

Instead, the Munchkin Man has tried the combination of a plain baked potato, cut open, and filled with chili, in at least a couple of other restaurants.

Unfortunately, the Munchkin Man was disappointed.

This was because the quality of the chili was mediocre at best.

The Munchkin Man believes the combination of a hot baked potato, cut open, and smothered with a homemade spicy chili, would create a wonderful taste combination.

The Munchkin Man cooked up a large pot of spicy homemade chili about ten years ago.

The Munchkin Man spent all day making that chili.

The Munchkin Man used several types of meat, including ground beef, bite size pieces of steak meat, and hot sausage.

The Munchkin Man added several varieties of chili peppers.

The Munchkin Man used black beans, which the Munchkin Man much prefers over pinto or kidney beans.

The Munchkin Man added chili pepper powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, black pepper, paprika, and probably a few other spices the Munchkin Man cannot think of right now.

The Munchkin Man added fresh sliced red onions, green peppers, habanero peppers, tomatoes, and garlic.

The Munchkin Man even added a couple of bottles of Mexican beer to the pot.

The Munchkin Man also added a few drops of Dave's Insanity Sauce.

The Munchkin Man also added some tomato paste and masa powder to achieve the desired thickness.

The Munchkin Man let it simmer for several hours.

The Munchkin Man made enough to store in at least a half dozen freezer containers.

Now you have motivated the Munchkin Man to make it again, and to try it with a baked potato, for one of the Munchkin Man's meals.

In closing, the Munchkin Man would like to thank you very much for the inspiration.

Bon Appetit!

Munchkin Man

Munchkin Man needs to open a fast food place called: Munchkies :)

Thanks
SP-diceman
mickeyd

Re: burgers

Post by mickeyd »

hollowcave2 wrote:I like the idea of starting our own business called

Bogleheads Burgers

Reminds me of the TV show Bob's Burgers.
I can see it now ~ The Passive Burger $.09bp~Just beef patty & bun. Just the basics?
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
chaz

Post by chaz »

I like In-And-Out, but years ago Bob's Big Boys.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
minesweep

Post by minesweep »

bh

Post by bh »

bmb823 wrote:In the McDonald's-vs-Wendy's debate, I'm on the Wendy's side. However, since we moved here to North Carolina and discovered Cook-Out we haven't eaten at Wendy's since.

But for those familiar with Cook-Out, the debate around here often becomes Cook-Out vs. Char-Grill? :D
i really enjoy the Char-grill; CookOut is more of a milkshake place to me
minesweep

Post by minesweep »

It’s not just burgers and fries on the McDonald’s menu.
The "Golden Arches" have come a long way. Beyond burgers, fries and shakes, Ronald and friends now serve up chicken sandwiches, salads and a variety of sides. A bit of research and patience can make your meal here a happy one.

When selecting a sandwich, think small. A regular hamburger is your best choice, with 250 calories, 9 g of fat and 520 mg of sodium.

Many of the chicken sandwiches--even if they are grilled--are higher in calories and/or fat than we prefer. Your best options are a Grilled Chicken Classic Sandwich without mayonnaise (370 calories, 4.5 g fat, 1,110 mg sodium) or the Grilled Honey Mustard Snack Wrap (260 calories, 9 g fat, 800 mg sodium).

A Happy Meal is a well-balanced meal for anyone--not just kids. Try one of these two combinations:

Hamburger with Apple Dippers, low fat caramel dip and 1% low fat milk (460 calories, 12 g fat, 680 mg sodium, 20 g protein)
Hamburger with Apple Dippers, low fat caramel dip and Apple Juice Box (440 calories, 9 g fat, 570 mg sodium, 13 g fat)

Salads are another good choice. A premium Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken (220 calories, 6 g fat, 890 mg sodium) with Newman's Own Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette (40 calories, 3 g fat, 730 mg sodium) paired with a Snack Size Fruit & Walnut Salad (210 calories, 8 g fat, 60 mg sodium) can provide a very filling and nutritious meal.
Eating Healthy at McDonald's

Mike
exoilman

Post by exoilman »

Like them both. At indecision time will go to Wendys.

Sam
jayars35

Post by jayars35 »

The Chat Grill in Raleigh NC was great.

As to which is more Boglish, I have no idea. I do know that the Hardees stores around here(NC Sandhills) have A+ burgers but the service is incredibly slow and management rarely follows up on customer complaints.

I stopped going to Burger King as I got sick of hearing the employees using M***** F***** in every other sentence or see them stand by the entrance smoking and using profanity.

MCD's and Wendy's here are well run but I prefer the burgers from Wendy's.

Arby's here has the best service i.e. fast, polite, clean stores etc.
bh

Post by bh »

jayars35 wrote:The Chat Grill in Raleigh NC was great.

As to which is more Boglish, I have no idea. I do know that the Hardees stores around here(NC Sandhills) have A+ burgers but the service is incredibly slow and management rarely follows up on customer complaints.

I stopped going to Burger King as I got sick of hearing the employees using M***** F***** in every other sentence or see them stand by the entrance smoking and using profanity.

MCD's and Wendy's here are well run but I prefer the burgers from Wendy's.

Arby's here has the best service i.e. fast, polite, clean stores etc.
i prefer wendys over mcdonalds

you do bring up a ood option with arbys; i like them but seem to be less crowded than othrs around me
bru

Post by bru »

Answering the original question, I prefer McDonalds.

I suppose a lot of it is because of familiarity. I do like Wendy's too I just don't eat there often. Thinking about it I don't eat at McDonalds very often either. My son loves their fries, so for him we go maybe once a month. My wife has stopped at Wendy's with him. I didn't like their new fries.
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

In the area where I live, I much prefer a Hardee's hamburger to Wendy's or McDonalds. We have 3 Wendy's within driving distance to our home. I have found all 3 to produce disgusting tasting food. As for "having it your way". That is a joke at our Wendy's. They are so bad we no longer even consider going to a Wendy's.
Chuck | Past Performance Is Just That - bob | For info on the SC LowCountry & Savannah GA Area Bogleheads contact me at chucktanner46@gmail.com
monkey_business

Post by monkey_business »

SP-diceman wrote:Munchkin Man needs to open a fast food place called: Munchkies :)
If the Munchkin Man has medicinal marijuana facilities in his area, opening this restaurant next to one would prove to be the most profitable food business in the history of the planet. :D
Jake46

Post by Jake46 »

I much prefer Wendy's made-to-order burgers over McDonald's. But my favorites are 5 Guys & Smash Burger.
desertdug08

Post by desertdug08 »

One word.....FROSTY! Can't beat them!

DUG
Polar_Ice

Post by Polar_Ice »

In & Out is the only fast food place I would eat a burger at but it has been a couple of years since I had a burger.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

I almost never eat at Wendys. I much prefer McDonalds. I think McDonalds food is better and gives you a better bang for your buck. 99 cent chicken sandwiches to the Angus burgers are all good including their fries. But I tend to not visit fast food places, but I would usally go to a McDonalds if needed. I never had a problem with McDonalds services either.
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

Arby's Market Fresh sandwiches are the best fast-food fare I've found from a national chain. Consistently good but pricey.

The McDonald's here is extremely error prone. No lie - a generous estimate of their drive-thru accuracy is around 75% - 1 out of 4 times there will be a mistake. It is sooo bad that we it's not even a joke anymore when someone says, "Check it before you drive off.."

Of course some times it's in your favor. I ordered a Southwest Salad once and got a bag containing 2 Big Macs, Quarter Pounder with cheese, small fry, and a large fry.

I pulled up and sat there for a minute deciding whether to go inside and straighten it out since it would be the honest thing to do .... but I drove off instead and figured it wasn't worth the hassle.
SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman »

Morgan wrote:
He'll probably die aged 100 years old and get a massive marble statue erected in the main lobby of MacDonald Corp HQ, wherever that is.
His name is Donald, hmmmmm, as in Mc"Donald". :)
(Ronald would have also been funny :))
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

I'd go wendy's over mcdonalds and burger king over both. Five Guys over all of them but I guess they aren't quite in the same class.
Epaminondas

Post by Epaminondas »

Ever since the movie "Supersize Me" people have irrationally preferred all the other fastfood joints over McDonalds. All fastfood is equally bad for you and McDonalds is no worse than any other one.
Beantown85

Post by Beantown85 »

Epaminondas wrote:Ever since the movie "Supersize Me" people have irrationally preferred all the other fastfood joints over McDonalds. All fastfood is equally bad for you and McDonalds is no worse than any other one.
Perhaps they claim to prefer others, but the numbers still point to McDonalds as the favorite.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

I prefer Wendy's.

So did my cat - he refused to eat either the meat or the cheese in a McDonald's hamburger.

RM
ElJay

Post by ElJay »

dsmil wrote:Five Guys over all of them but I guess they aren't quite in the same class.
Five Guys recently opened here and I don't get the fuss... The burger was bland and the fries were like a greasy, half-cooked mess from a carnival vendor. Did I just hit them on a bad day or something?
bmb823

Post by bmb823 »

ElJay wrote:
dsmil wrote:Five Guys over all of them but I guess they aren't quite in the same class.
Five Guys recently opened here and I don't get the fuss... The burger was bland and the fries were like a greasy, half-cooked mess from a carnival vendor. Did I just hit them on a bad day or something?
I agree. I found Five Guys over-hyped when I first went. I mean, it's a good burger, but I think the mania that surrounded the first opening of one near where I lived at the time made the actual experience hard to equal.
Mr. Gatti

Post by Mr. Gatti »

We also have a Five Guys that recently opened. It is delicious but seems to have slowed from the frenzy that occurred when it first opened.

We used to have a Backyard Burger in town that was also great but it has since closed down.

We have a new McDonald's opening up at the shopping center at the entrance to my neighborhood :evil: Other than maybe breakfast every now and then, I will not be going there.

Wendy's is pretty good. They have a good value menu. I will say the size of their Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers have shrunk in size. I would still pick them over McDonald's any day though.
scouter

Post by scouter »

I don't eat at either one but I did stop at a McDonalds in AL for coffee last year. I asked for sugar and the cute teenage girl behind the counter said (in her heavy AL drawl), "Which kind of sugar do ya want, Equal or Splenda?"

I said, "Well, neither. I was hoping to get sugar."

She stared at me for a minute. "You mean, like, REAL sugar?"

"Right."

"Hmm. I don't think we have that here..."
Miskatonic

Post by Miskatonic »

In short- Wendy's any day over McD.

Was just talking to coworkers about the memory of being very young and how going to McDonald's was such a treat. We thought McD's food was the best ever. Loved the stuff into my late teens. The fries really were very good while they used beef shortening to fry them.

Something happens to your palate when you leave those years.

When starving, there's nothing quite like the greasy happiness of a Wendy's double, fries and Dr Pepper. Problem is these days, the bill for that meal is close to $7!

I think that's a bit much for a burger and fries.

I like Burger King too. Probably eat Wendy's twice a year, BK about once a year. I'm in love with a local, real Mexican food, 24 hour joint for my late night food needs. Still lots of salt and probably fat but the price is right and it's different.

(I do own Mc Donald's stock :D )
Beantown85

Post by Beantown85 »

ElJay wrote:Five Guys recently opened here and I don't get the fuss... The burger was bland and the fries were like a greasy, half-cooked mess from a carnival vendor. Did I just hit them on a bad day or something?
Yeah, I agree. Five Guys doesn't do it for me, although the burgers there are certainly better than McDonalds or Wendy's.
oragne lovre

Post by oragne lovre »

If you live on the west coast and want to

1. eat "healthier" burgers, fries
2. enjoy a younger crowd
3. get a better "service" from a chain fast food
4. have a cleaner eatery setting

then In-N-Out is the right place to visit.
Buster

Post by Buster »

monkey_business wrote:
stives wrote:I wouldn't consider either very Boglehead like. Both are low quality and unhealthy (though McDonald's takes the cake).

The Boglehead approach would be to buy the ingredients and make it yourself. For about the same price you can get significantly higher quality food that not only taste better but is healthier too.

If you are set on Fast-Food style burgers, at least Five Guys or In-N-Out is fresh and better quality.
Agreed. Nothing Boglehead about choosing between crappy and crappier.
+2

Whataburger or Braum's for me.
btenny

Post by btenny »

I find that the McDonalds are all dirty and smelly now. Back when the chain was OK. At least the stores were clean. Not so today. The only thing worth eating there is the small Chocolate sundae. Same for Wendy's since they took the Salad Bar away. Only good thing to eat there is the Frosty sundaes IMO. I never go there for burgers and the chili sucks IMO.

The Whatburgers Whoppers with cheese are OK for fast food as they have real lettuce and tomato and so forth with some real meat. Not great but OK. Plus they make good french fries.

And I just do not get the In-and Out Burger. Wait in long lines for a OK burger? And bad fries? Why?

I much prefer my home made hamburgers off my grill or a burger from a small local store called the Burger Lounge. Good stuff and pretty fast and always fresh. Plus they do good deep fried Onion Rings and fries (yea I know not so good for me) that taste wonderful.... An order of french fries there are great as well. A whole burger basket of fries or rings runs $3.50 as I recall.

Bill