Boglehead Hamburgers: Wendy's vs McDonalds

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
brainstem

Boglehead Hamburgers: Wendy's vs McDonalds

Post by brainstem » Thu May 19, 2011 3:14 pm

Without getting too much into a food review -- I have come to the conclusion that Wendy's is a Boglehead style fast food provider as opposed to McDonalds

Wendy's generally has better, more attentive workforce and better prepared and presented food.

McDonalds workforce seems chaotic and offers uninspiring food (have you had a quarter pounder lately?)

In terms of value (as opposed to marketing) there does not seem to be a comparison -- McDonald's success is a bit mystifying to me. But, then again, the consuming public does not always act in their best self interest!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu May 19, 2011 3:18 pm

What does MunchkinMan say about this?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Thu May 19, 2011 3:20 pm

If they did, there probably wouldn't be any fast food.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

Mr Bear

Post by Mr Bear » Thu May 19, 2011 3:20 pm

McD's has no item comparable to a Wendy's triple. Wendy's isn't a great-tasting burger like Five Guys, but it tastes as similar to real meat as McD's does. So taste is a wash and Wendy's wins Round 1 on sheer gut-fill.

Other good thing about Wendy's is that you have a choice of sides including chili or a not-bad baked potato. That's Round 2 to Wendy's.

Wendy's is also generally fa-a-r cleaner than a McD's. Every McD's I go to has spills all over the floor and sticky tabletops. Round 3 to Wendy's.
Last edited by Mr Bear on Thu May 19, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Throwin' Darts

Post by Throwin' Darts » Thu May 19, 2011 3:20 pm

I wouldn't eat at McDonalds if it were free. Their food is disgusting.
Chuck Norris can divide by zero

GammaPoint

Post by GammaPoint » Thu May 19, 2011 3:21 pm

I haven't eaten fast food in years, but when I did, I ate at Wendy's much much more than I ate at McD. I went with the spicy chicken sandwich though, not the burger usually.

Dingle

Re: Boglehead Hamburgers: Wendy's vs McDonalds

Post by Dingle » Thu May 19, 2011 3:22 pm

brainstem wrote:Without getting too much into a food review -- I have come to the conclusion that Wendy's is a Boglehead style fast food provider as opposed to McDonalds

Wendy's generally has better, more attentive workforce and better prepared and presented food.

McDonalds workforce seems chaotic and offers uninspiring food (have you had a quarter pounder lately?)

In terms of value (as opposed to marketing) there does not seem to be a comparison -- McDonald's success is a bit mystifying to me. But, then again, the consuming public does not always act in their best self interest!
I choose to eat healthy and haven't had a burger from either place in years. A salad once or twicce a year from both and I did not find much of a difference in quality, price or the attentiveness of the workforce.

G-Money

Post by G-Money » Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

brainstem wrote:Without getting too much into a food review -- I have come to the conclusion that Wendy's is a Boglehead style fast food provider as opposed to McDonalds

Don't you have it backwards?

On this board, I see lots of complaints about Vanguard's customer service (workforce) and website (presentation). I'm sure American Funds' agents are far more attentive, and several brokerages offer better presentation (see the many online brokerages discussed in other threads).

To the general public, Vanguard's "plain-vanilla" index funds are far less inspiring than, say, the "UltraShort DJ-UBS Crude Oil" ETF.

paulob

Post by paulob » Thu May 19, 2011 3:31 pm

I eat a lot of fast food for breakfast and lunch. Could you repeat again what about Wendys vs McDonalds would supports Bogleheads? The terms chaotic and uninspiring just don't seem to be defining characteristics of Boglehead vs non-Boglehead.

However, I think Wendy's burgers are superior to McDonalds, I like their chili and Taco salads. But value? If you eat out a lot and money is a concern, then yes, McDonalds has a lot of value. You can thank them for the dollar menu.

What is not Bogleish about Wendy's? The damn line. Its supposed to be fast food. How difficult would it be to open an extra register instead of moving single file around that stupid movie theater barrier tape.

There are plenty of local places to grab a juicy burger at lunch, I'm looking for some speed, I've got to go back to work.
Paul

bilperk

Post by bilperk » Thu May 19, 2011 3:31 pm

brainstem wrote: In terms of value (as opposed to marketing) there does not seem to be a comparison -- McDonald's success is a bit mystifying to me. But, then again, the consuming public does not always act in their best self interest!
I can sum it up in one word; demographics. MCD pitches to kids from age 2 to 18. They then also grab an equal portion of the senior market as Wendys, due as much to their superior coffee as anything. Since the parents have to take the kids, the parents end up buying food too.

20 to 40 somethings grew up with MCD so they likely go between the two.

Wendys has no Happy meal or clown or toys or playground.

Then there is the fact that for every Wendys there are probably 3 MCD, so you get the convenience factor.

I do prefer Wendys and finds their food better and a much better value. I do not find the staff to be superior here in SW Florida, in fact just the opposite.
Last edited by bilperk on Thu May 19, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Thu May 19, 2011 3:32 pm

livesoft wrote:What does MunchkinMan say about this?
LOL... I had assumed this was one of his posts.

alec

Post by alec » Thu May 19, 2011 3:33 pm

Wendy's new fries are 100 times better than McDs.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair

sport

Post by sport » Thu May 19, 2011 3:36 pm

No mention of Burger King? At least their burgers are flame broiled instead of sitting on a grill soaking in grease.

Jeff

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu May 19, 2011 3:52 pm

I have ocasionally patronized McDonalds. I actually like the Angus Burger, the "shakes" (especially the one in the fall) and the fries. Price is low - BUT

I stopped on a trip recently and just stopped at McDonald's to get just a cup of coffee. While drinking my coffee, I turned over the mat on the tray and here were all the "nutritional" numbers. OUCH!!!

1090 calories for the breakfast with Pancakes BEFORE you add butter and syrup. 500 calories for large fries. LOTS of fat, calories and huge amounts of sodium. The Angus Burger was terrible for calories, fat and sodium.

kirent

Post by kirent » Thu May 19, 2011 4:05 pm

I wouldn't consider either very Boglehead like. Both are low quality and unhealthy (though McDonald's takes the cake).

The Boglehead approach would be to buy the ingredients and make it yourself. For about the same price you can get significantly higher quality food that not only taste better but is healthier too.

If you are set on Fast-Food style burgers, at least Five Guys or In-N-Out is fresh and better quality.
Disclaimer: I am not a financial or legal expert and all information I provide is given for entertainment purposes only, at your own risk and with no guarantees of accuracy.

monkey_business

Post by monkey_business » Thu May 19, 2011 4:11 pm

stives wrote:I wouldn't consider either very Boglehead like. Both are low quality and unhealthy (though McDonald's takes the cake).

The Boglehead approach would be to buy the ingredients and make it yourself. For about the same price you can get significantly higher quality food that not only taste better but is healthier too.

If you are set on Fast-Food style burgers, at least Five Guys or In-N-Out is fresh and better quality.
Agreed. Nothing Boglehead about choosing between crappy and crappier.

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Thu May 19, 2011 4:19 pm

monkey_business wrote: Agreed. Nothing Boglehead about choosing between crappy and crappier.
They both improve your chances of not outliving your money.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

monkey_business

Post by monkey_business » Thu May 19, 2011 4:32 pm

Sidney wrote:
monkey_business wrote: Agreed. Nothing Boglehead about choosing between crappy and crappier.
So does cyanide :wink:

nonroom

Post by nonroom » Thu May 19, 2011 4:51 pm

Tough to beat McD All American Meal - hamburger, fries, drink and apple pie for $3.26 including tax.

Wendy's double stack is also an excellent deal.

The Wendy's in my area is poorly run and is not very clean. I prefer McD for this reason.
You cannot control the actions of others. You can only control your reactions to their actions.

torius71

Post by torius71 » Thu May 19, 2011 4:54 pm

Sidney wrote:
It depends. There's two sides. I personally choose to "overweight" MCD and WEN. :lol:

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Thu May 19, 2011 4:57 pm

Both McDonalds and Wendy's are nasty

bluto

Post by bluto » Thu May 19, 2011 5:11 pm

KyleAAA wrote:Both McDonalds and Wendy's are nasty
Agreed, but on rare occasions when I really do need the convenience, I'll choose Burger King over the others.

This usually means I'm eating in the car, but every now and then I like to go inside to people watch.

njuser

Post by njuser » Thu May 19, 2011 5:14 pm

livesoft wrote:What does MunchkinMan say about this?
I had to look at who posted; at first I thought MM was the OP.

Moshito

Post by Moshito » Thu May 19, 2011 5:16 pm

VEGGIE BURGERS!!!!!

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Thu May 19, 2011 5:29 pm

Only item I get at Wendy's are their salads. Yum. +1 for longevity! As for burgers, I prefer InnOut and Burger King over Wendy's / McD. I might go McD to grab a fillet o fish, mcmuffin or coffee.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Thu May 19, 2011 5:39 pm

McDonald's and Wendy's are in totally different categories.

If I want a baked potato with a cup of chili dumped over it and a Frosty, I go to Wendy's. McDonald's doesn't have anything like it.

On the other hand, if I want a wrap and a McCafe Mocha Frappe, I go to McDonald's.

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Thu May 19, 2011 5:43 pm

Wendy's was the best but lately neither one is fit to eat. My wife and I stopped eating at all these fast food joints and carry our cooler along on our work trips.
Living off the land is a family tradition.

Milo

Post by Milo » Thu May 19, 2011 5:46 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Milo on Thu May 19, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Thu May 19, 2011 5:47 pm

I seldom eat a fast food burger, but when I do, I prefer What-a-Burger.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:05 pm

As far as eating and liking the food at McDonalds, I am OK with it. I like the shakes, the Angus burgers, wraps, fries, etc. The prices are very low for the "quality" of actually consuming the food.

The problem, in my view, is that the nutrition of almost all of it is toxic - fat, calories and sodium.

bmb823

Post by bmb823 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:19 pm

In the McDonald's-vs-Wendy's debate, I'm on the Wendy's side. However, since we moved here to North Carolina and discovered Cook-Out we haven't eaten at Wendy's since.

But for those familiar with Cook-Out, the debate around here often becomes Cook-Out vs. Char-Grill? :D

snyder66

Post by snyder66 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:29 pm

Subway Veggie Sub for me..

DA

Post by DA » Thu May 19, 2011 6:31 pm

Neither. I'll take Chick - fil - A over both of them.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Thu May 19, 2011 6:33 pm

I like Wendy's jr Bacon Cheeseburgers,Big Mac's and Whoppers.Wendy's gives me a senior discount,the others occasionally a 2 for 1 coupon.
All the Best, | Joe

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Thu May 19, 2011 6:46 pm

In-n-Out beat the pants off both. No contest.

I live near a Wendy's and drive by it several times a day, and I can honestly say it has never occurred to me to buy anything there. I will sometimes go to the In-n-Out further away if I'm in the mood for fast food, or as a treat take the kids to McDonalds (quite a bit further away). But there's no reason I can think of to stop at Wendy's - the food is a little better than McDs but c'mon, it's not like it's actually good.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Thu May 19, 2011 6:51 pm

McDonalds helped me become a vegetarian, so they hold a special place in my heart.
Gordon

taurabora

Post by taurabora » Thu May 19, 2011 6:58 pm

Take 1 McDouble. Insert 3 parts McNuggets. Add 1 part Hot Mustard Sauce.

Enjoy.

I prefer McDonald's as a value offering. Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich is the best thing in fast food, but a bit too expensive.

Also, the McDonald's near me has Diet Dr. Pepper from the fountain, which is my favorite beverage. This puts it over the top of any other fast food for me.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Thu May 19, 2011 7:22 pm

epilnk wrote:In-n-Out beat the pants off both. No contest.
Agreed. In-n-Out locations are in our GPS. McDonalds isn't. Have also heard Five Guys are good.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Thu May 19, 2011 7:40 pm

Hi,
I stopped eating any meat after reading this story and other stories about meat: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/04/healt ... l[quote]Ms. Smith, 22, was found to have a severe form of food-borne illness caused by E. coli, which Minnesota officials traced to the hamburger that her mother had grilled for their Sunday dinner in early fall 2007.[/quote]
Best Wishes, | Joe

SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman » Thu May 19, 2011 8:00 pm

Boglehead? Wendy’s seems a lot more expensive (from my experience) than McDonalds.
(there aren’t many around me in convenient locations)
At the end of the day both are fast food.

I’ve always found the concept of “good service” amusing,
you’re typically dealing with teenagers making minimum wage.

(though the maitre d’ at my McDonalds is very good if you slip him a $20)

I always try and remember where I am.

Thanks
SP-diceman

Rod Flash

Post by Rod Flash » Thu May 19, 2011 8:17 pm

What is wrong with you people? The McDonald's cheesburger is one of the classic tastes of the century. I'd put it up there with Paella Valenciana, Tartar of Kobe beef, Imperial Beluga caviar, Belons oyster, Tarte Fine with scallops and black truffle, things like that.

I like Wendy's just fine, but you're talking semi-pro vs. the Big Show.

Munir

Post by Munir » Thu May 19, 2011 8:20 pm

Great topic for a finance/investment forum. What's next?

nvboglehead

Post by nvboglehead » Thu May 19, 2011 8:39 pm

Moshito wrote:VEGGIE BURGERS!!!!!
I agree! My healthy fast food alternative is Morningstar's Garden Veggie Patties, purchased at Costco in the 16 burger pack.

Dale
Learn from the Bogleheads! Do you want to work for your money or have your money work for you?

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Thu May 19, 2011 9:17 pm

Wendy's -hands down. But bring back the potato bar!!!!

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Thu May 19, 2011 9:41 pm

nvboglehead wrote:
Moshito wrote:VEGGIE BURGERS!!!!!
I agree! My healthy fast food alternative is Morningstar's Garden Veggie Patties, purchased at Costco in the 16 burger pack.

Dale
I never understood that. If you're into vegetarian food, why would you get something designed to look like and be eaten like meat? I'd get a good pasta dish or something.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

MWCA

Post by MWCA » Thu May 19, 2011 9:43 pm

Neither. Pink slime scares me.
We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Thu May 19, 2011 9:49 pm

EmergDoc wrote: I never understood that. If you're into vegetarian food, why would you get something designed to look like and be eaten like meat? I'd get a good pasta dish or something.
The good veggie burgers don't taste anything like meat. They taste much better. I'm surprised more non-vegetarians don't eat them.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Thu May 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Ideally, I would get a McDonald's coke and fries and Wendy's nuggets.

I hits the spot when I've got a craving.

bhmlurker

Post by bhmlurker » Thu May 19, 2011 11:06 pm

Back in the 90s when Wendy's had 99c Biggie 32oz drinks and 99c double stacks, they won hands down. At the time, McDonald's only had 29c hamburger, 39c cheeseburger on Tuesdays each week. Occasionally McDonald's would feature 2 Big Macs for $2, but that was infrequent.

In the 2000s, McDonald's fought back with $1 double cheeseburgers and Wendy's only had dollar menu with jr. bacon cheeseburger, side salad, baked potato, and small chili. It was a tie - sheer calories and volume vs quality.

SP-diceman said something about teenagers making minimum wage. That used to be the case in the 80s and early 90s. Now at all the fast food places I go, it seems to be adults working there. Except for Chick-fil-A still has a few teenagers once in a while. Pretty telling about the sad state of the current times.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Fri May 20, 2011 12:04 am

Meatless in Arizona. Grasshoppers eat ..................grass?