How much do you really pay for your smartphone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Slapshot

How much do you really pay for your smartphone?

Post by Slapshot »

I'm looking at replacing my laptop, which I use mainly when traveling, with a smartphone or tablet. My current provider is Verizon Wireless and I'm using a bare bones cell phone with a $35/month plan that serves me well. I hardly ever text, but I probably would if it were included in my plan.

My question is how much per month you actually spend on your plan with a smartphone and/or tablet and what you get for it. I'd be interested in plans that include unlimited internet access. I know that I can go on websites and get plan costs, but I'm interested in people's actual real-life experiences. Thanks.
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

~$70 after tax.

HTC Evo 4G from Sprint. Something like 450 mins/month, unlimited everything else.
wilked

Post by wilked »

Virgin Mobile, I pay $25 total per month.

Unlimited internet (3G), unlimited text, 300 minutes. It uses Sprint's network which I have not had an issue with. If the 300 mins are too few you can upgrade to the $40 plan for 1200 mins

I bought the smartphone (LG Optimus) for $150, and it is very good, comparable to the Droid Incredible
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

A Wi-Fi tablet doesn't require a plan, so as long as there's free Wi-Fi available, like in hotels and coffee shops, there's no usage costs. Also the initial table cost is lower. -- Tet
RESISTANCE IS FRUITFUL
StealthWealth

Post by StealthWealth »

We paid $221.20 this month for 5 lines with unlimited texts and 800 "any time" minutes. That includes a data plan for all lines which have smartphones. I guess that breaks down to $44.24 per line. My wife and I share the plan with three members of her family as it seemed cost effective at the time. In retrospect, it would be nice to not be tied to other people through contractual agreements. You live and you learn!
froman118

Post by froman118 »

I have the old unlimited Android data plan with T-Mobile which includes 400 texts for $25, so about $20 on top of my family voice plan.
ddb

Re: How much do you really pay for your smartphone?

Post by ddb »

Slapshot wrote:I'm looking at replacing my laptop, which I use mainly when traveling, with a smartphone or tablet. My current provider is Verizon Wireless and I'm using a bare bones cell phone with a $35/month plan that serves me well. I hardly ever text, but I probably would if it were included in my plan.

My question is how much per month you actually spend on your plan with a smartphone and/or tablet and what you get for it. I'd be interested in plans that include unlimited internet access. I know that I can go on websites and get plan costs, but I'm interested in people's actual real-life experiences. Thanks.
I pay $59.99 plus tax (works out to ~$67.42) for 500 minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited data with T-Mobile. T-Mobile's current unlimited data contract (which I have) does contain a 'throttling' provision, where once you exceed a certain data limit in a given billing period, they have the ability to reduce data speeds for the remainder of the period. So far, even though I heavily exceed the throttling limit, they haven't imposed a bottleneck. I'm on a 'no contract' plan, which means that I can cancel anytime. A 'no contract' plan requires buying a phone at a non-subsidized price. I paid something like $550 for my Google Nexus S phone back in December. If I amortize this cost over 2 years (my expected holding period of a mobile device), then that's $23 per month, which is less than the difference I'd pay if I were on a contract plan from T-Mobile. Even then, the phone wouldn't be free, but may something like $200. PLUS, at this point my phone is selling used on eBay for over $300, so even if I get the itch to upgrade (like, if somebody comes out with a non-bloated 4G device on the latest version of Android with a dual-core processor and expandable memory).

Unlimited mobile data is a huge benefit in my life. Thanks to my mobile device, I have a GPS, access to my full 100GB music collection via a free streaming service from my primary computer (SubSonic), the ability to tether my laptop or tablet device to my mobile phone for Internet access anywhere that I have a 3G connection, plus the obvious benefits like full web access anywhere I go, and 24/7 access to personal and business email.

- DDB
"We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people." - PB
norookie

Post by norookie »

tetractys wrote:A Wi-Fi tablet doesn't require a plan, so as long as there's free Wi-Fi available, like in hotels and coffee shops, there's no usage costs. Also the initial table cost is lower. -- Tet
:D I think hes / shes talking a dedicated smartphone tet. I too endorse the Virgin mobile plans. I refuse the monthly plans though. I pay 20 bucks for 400.00 minutes with a "cheap" smartphone. But I do not use it for anything other than talking. Virgin mobile has Pay/Lo= 30 bucks a month 1500minutes of talk time, unlimited internet. You buy the phone they offer @ about 150.00. Check it out!--> Pay/Lo Virgin Mobile.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
centrifuge41

Post by centrifuge41 »

$2.50, tax included. No, really.

I bought a large initial card through Page Plus, which is a prepaid virtual provider of Verizon service. Subsequently, I only need to load $10 per 4 months to keep my account active.

Calls are 10c/min, texts are 8c, and data is pretty steep at $1.20/MB. They do deduct 50c per month to keep my line active. To keep minutes usage low, I place long calls at home through Google Voice. I don't text, though I can message over AIM and Gtalk over wifi for free. Most of my data consumption is over wifi (both at home and in the office). I only flip on the 3G data switch if I need to look up something really quickly and I'm out somewhere. Link
Driver

Re: How much do you really pay for your smartphone?

Post by Driver »

ddb wrote:
Slapshot wrote:I'm looking at replacing my laptop, which I use mainly when traveling, with a smartphone or tablet. My current provider is Verizon Wireless and I'm using a bare bones cell phone with a $35/month plan that serves me well. I hardly ever text, but I probably would if it were included in my plan.

I pay $59.99 plus tax (works out to ~$67.42) for 500 minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited data with T-Mobile. T-Mobile's current unlimited data contract (which I have) does contain a 'throttling' provision, where once you exceed a certain data limit in a given billing period, they have the ability to reduce data speeds for the remainder of the period. So far, even though I heavily exceed the throttling limit, they haven't imposed a bottleneck. I'm on a 'no contract' plan, which means that I can cancel anytime. A 'no contract' plan requires buying a phone at a non-subsidized price. I paid something like $550 for my Google Nexus S phone back in December. If I amortize this cost over 2 years (my expected holding period of a mobile device), then that's $23 per month, which is less than the difference I'd pay if I were on a contract plan from T-Mobile. Even then, the phone wouldn't be free, but may something like $200. PLUS, at this point my phone is selling used on eBay for over $300, so even if I get the itch to upgrade (like, if somebody comes out with a non-bloated 4G device on the latest version of Android with a dual-core processor and expandable memory).

Unlimited mobile data is a huge benefit in my life. Thanks to my mobile device, I have a GPS, access to my full 100GB music collection via a free streaming service from my primary computer (SubSonic), the ability to tether my laptop or tablet device to my mobile phone for Internet access anywhere that I have a 3G connection, plus the obvious benefits like full web access anywhere I go, and 24/7 access to personal and business email.

- DDB
This is exactly what I do. My rationale is similar as well.
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

I use Page Plus Cellular through Kitty Wireless. PPC uses the Verizon network which provides excellent coverage in most of the US. My plan costs $29.95 per month. The plan includes 1200 minutes of call time, 2000 free texts, and 100 MB of data usage (this equates to about 5 hrs internet usage). Wifi usage while at home or traveling is free. My phone is an HTC Eris which I purchased used on Ebay for $100.00. A similar plan on Verizon wireless would cost me about $110 per month.
Chuck | Past Performance Is Just That - bob | For info on the SC LowCountry & Savannah GA Area Bogleheads contact me at chucktanner46@gmail.com
kbrinaldi

Post by kbrinaldi »

~$60 after tax with Sprint for HTC Evo 4G with 450 minutes, unlimited nights from 7 PM, unlimited weekend, and unlimited text/data.

Best device I've ever owned and definitely think it's worth it. I don't know how many times the GPS has saved me time from getting lost. If you're going to get a real smartphone I suggest getting a phone with a proc speed of around 1Ghz or more.
coloradobound

Pagepluscellular

Post by coloradobound »

1200 minutes
2000 txt
100 MB data

29.95/ month (this includes all taxes, everything..)

pagepluscellular

$140 droid phone from ebay

page plus uses the verizon network as a reseller so the coverage is awesome where I am.

you could also pay 4cent a minute if you are not a big cell phone user..
jmbkb4

Post by jmbkb4 »

i don't have a smart phone!!

smart
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

norookie wrote:
tetractys wrote:A Wi-Fi tablet doesn't require a plan, so as long as there's free Wi-Fi available, like in hotels and coffee shops, there's no usage costs. Also the initial table cost is lower. -- Tet
:D I think hes / shes talking a dedicated smartphone tet. I too endorse the Virgin mobile plans. I refuse the monthly plans though. I pay 20 bucks for 400.00 minutes with a "cheap" smartphone. But I do not use it for anything other than talking. Virgin mobile has Pay/Lo= 30 bucks a month 1500minutes of talk time, unlimited internet. You buy the phone they offer @ about 150.00. Check it out!--> Pay/Lo Virgin Mobile.
Well I'm not exactly sure what the OP is asking, so I wanted to give the alternative $0 fee option. Personally, if I wanted to replace a laptop with a tablet, I would not pay for telephony when Wi-Fi is most often free. You do have to connect at a hot spot though, and in my experience wi-fi can be slower than the telephone networks. Oh, and of course tablets can be plugged in to any network where available also. -- Tet
RESISTANCE IS FRUITFUL
C319

Post by C319 »

T-Mobile prepaid (no contract): unlimited talk/text/data: $70/mo.

Love my Dell Streak 5"
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

C319 wrote:T-Mobile prepaid (no contract): unlimited talk/text/data: $70/mo.

Love my Dell Streak 5"
I love my Streak as well. Beautiful device, just about the perfect size for me. I just wish it had a physical keyboard. :roll:

-Janet
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

$103/month for two iPhones on AT&T. One has unlimited data, the other 200 MB. No texts, but we use a free app for unlimited send/receive texting.
Tyrobi

Post by Tyrobi »

We pay AT&T $23.40/month for two iPhones ($19.99 monthly service charges+tax/fees).

My wife’s iPhone has unlimited data as she uses it exclusively at home. For my iPhone I get unlimited call from international to US as I often work from abroad. Both our iPhones have unlimited texting. Using two iPhones in 550 anytime minutes family plan with rollover for $23.40/month works out perfectly for us. Here’s how I discover this method.

First, both iPhones are not under contract from AT&T. My wife received the iPhone 3GS for free from her brother, while my iPhone 3GS was bought cheaply on craiglist.

Second, we have the cheapest AT&T family plan, FamilyTalk Nation 550 Rollover, for $59.99/month. To reduce it to $19.99/month, I called AT&T to suspend the main line and use only other line since I told them I’m oversea.

Lastly, I put in my pre-paid sim card into my iPhone (You can buy it cheaply from T-Mobile or AT&T GoPhone) and use free apps like Talkatone or netTALK to call any US number for free. My wife uses the other AT&T line and gets unlimited internet and texting at home using wifi since she’s SAHM. It might not fit your situation but for us it works.
Three-fund portfolio | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." John C. Bogle
Bruin

Post by Bruin »

wilked wrote:Virgin Mobile, I pay $25 total per month.

Unlimited internet (3G), unlimited text, 300 minutes. It uses Sprint's network which I have not had an issue with. If the 300 mins are too few you can upgrade to the $40 plan for 1200 mins

I bought the smartphone (LG Optimus) for $150, and it is very good, comparable to the Droid Incredible
I do the exact same thing. Only thing is I find the sprint network in Los Angeles is good for phone calls & texts, not so good for data - but I don't use that much data at all.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

Do you not have to pay taxes? I use (and love) Virgin Mobile, but I end up paying $27 per month (including taxes).
mikep

Post by mikep »

FedGuy wrote:
Do you not have to pay taxes? I use (and love) Virgin Mobile, but I end up paying $27 per month (including taxes).
Buy the prepaid cards at callingmart.com, then you don't have to pay the tax - this is what a co-worker told me to do.
Topic Author
Slapshot

Post by Slapshot »

Thank you for all the input. Much appreciated.
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.
wilked

Post by wilked »

mikep wrote:
FedGuy wrote:
Buy the prepaid cards at callingmart.com, then you don't have to pay the tax - this is what a co-worker told me to do.
Yup

It baffles my mind that people will pay Verizon or Sprint $100 a month when they can have the same network and not be locked into a contract for 25-30% of the cost
wilked

Post by wilked »

Tyrobi wrote:We pay AT&T $23.40/month for two iPhones ($19.99 monthly service charges+tax/fees).

My wife’s iPhone has unlimited data as she uses it exclusively at home. For my iPhone I get unlimited call from international to US as I often work from abroad. Both our iPhones have unlimited texting. Using two iPhones in 550 anytime minutes family plan with rollover for $23.40/month works out perfectly for us. Here’s how I discover this method.

First, both iPhones are not under contract from AT&T. My wife received the iPhone 3GS for free from her brother, while my iPhone 3GS was bought cheaply on craiglist.

Second, we have the cheapest AT&T family plan, FamilyTalk Nation 550 Rollover, for $59.99/month. To reduce it to $19.99/month, I called AT&T to suspend the main line and use only other line since I told them I’m oversea.

Lastly, I put in my pre-paid sim card into my iPhone (You can buy it cheaply from T-Mobile or AT&T GoPhone) and use free apps like Talkatone or netTALK to call any US number for free. My wife uses the other AT&T line and gets unlimited internet and texting at home using wifi since she’s SAHM. It might not fit your situation but for us it works.
I realize you explained it all, but your post is very misleading...

"My wife’s iPhone has unlimited data" - no, she has no data included. She uses Wifi at home (apparently instead of the home computer?)

"For my iPhone I get unlimited call from international to US " - No, you purchase pre-paid SIM cards overseas and use apps to call back home
E-M-H

Post by E-M-H »

I pay 35 cents per day for data and 10 cents per minute if I make a call. The carrier is Boost Mobile.
wander

Re: Pagepluscellular

Post by wander »

coloradobound wrote:1200 minutes
2000 txt
100 MB data

pagepluscellular

page plus uses the verizon network as a reseller so the coverage is awesome where I am.

Ditto

I bought a smartphone on Ebay and activated it for this plan. It's been great.
wander

Post by wander »

2000 txt
100 MB data

pagepluscellular

Ditto

wander

Post by wander »

2000 txt
100 MB data

pagepluscellular

Pam01

Post by Pam01 »

mikep wrote:
FedGuy wrote:
I plan to use Beyond Talk Plan of Virgin Mobile. How does this callingmart.com thing work? Can I purchase $25 refill card on CallingMart.com? If so, how does it then feed into Virgin Mobile account so that I can use that for another 30 days?

Can I use callingmart.com for the first month usage as well after I activate the phone on VirginMogile.com?

I am new to prepaid-plan world and hence these naive questions :-(
Last edited by Pam01 on Wed May 11, 2011 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pam01

Post by Pam01 »

mikep wrote:
FedGuy wrote:
I plan to use Beyond Talk Plan of Virgin Mobile. How does this callingmart.com thing work? Can I purchase $25 refill card on CallingMart.com? If so, how does it then feed into Virgin Mobile account so that I can use that for another 30 days?

Can I use callingmart.com for the first month usage as well after I activate the phone on VirginMogile.com?
wilked

Post by wilked »

You buy the refill on callingmart, they provide a PIN. You put that PIN into your account at VM.com. That's it!
supertreat

Post by supertreat »

How do you find a list of smart phones that are compatible with page plus service?? I was thinking of going with them. Thanks.
Assets - Liabilities = Equity + (Income - Expenses)
natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer »

The best way to compare costs is by looking at the total cost including device and one-time fees over a 24-month period.
mikep

Post by mikep »

supertreat wrote:How do you find a list of smart phones that are compatible with page plus service?? I was thinking of going with them. Thanks.
Also, my main concern with the PP plan is the data cap at 100 MB vs something like Virgin mobile which has unlimited data. I have no concept of how much data a smartphone can use. Is that enough?
supertreat

Post by supertreat »

mikep wrote:
supertreat wrote:How do you find a list of smart phones that are compatible with page plus service?? I was thinking of going with them. Thanks.
Also, my main concern with the PP plan is the data cap at 100 MB vs something like Virgin mobile which has unlimited data. I have no concept of how much data a smartphone can use. Is that enough?
I echo that concern - perhaps someone who uses the service can chime in with phone recommendations as well
Assets - Liabilities = Equity + (Income - Expenses)
centrifuge41

Post by centrifuge41 »

PagePlus is good with any Verizon phone with the exception of:

Blackberries
iPhone
Prepaid Verizon phones

The most popular android phones are the Droid 1 and the Droid Eris because they are discontinued. The Palm Pixi Plus is very popular because you can get one for around $50 new without contract. Howard Forums should have a whole lot more info regarding cell phones and plans.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

I'm reading and posting on a Pixi Plus. It does everything I would want from an iphone (web, email, calendar, music, video) for fifty bucks. No complaints.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

dupe
wander

Post by wander »

I am using HTC Droid Incredible. It works fine with PP.

You can find the list with this remotesquad group. They will help you
Remotesquad
arthurb999

Post by arthurb999 »

160 for 2 phones... 1400 min and unlimited everything else.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

Virgin Mobile carries over the value of unused minutes. We have a dumb phone with them . We now have enough dollars accrued from unused minutes that we are considering updating the phone to a smart phone. It will cost more per month for the 3G internet access. Virgin Mobile has less coverage than many other providers. It is useless in most of Michigan's U.P. It uses Sprint network. It works well for us 99% of the time.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

These prices are making me ill.
With taxes I pay $96 per month - who else Verizon. This is for one Droid
450 minutes per month (all I need)
500 text
"unlimited" internet / email

I use about 1.5GB of bandwidth per month.
Never

Post by Never »

I pay $80 a month with taxes from verizon for 1 phone, htc thunderbolt. 450 mins, unlimited texts, and unlimited 4g. I use about 10-15gb a month in bandwidth
puck2005

Post by puck2005 »

What happens when you go outside their Sprint coverage map?
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Rob5TCP wrote:These prices are making me ill.
With taxes I pay $96 per month (...) I use about 1.5GB of bandwidth per month.
I don't know if that should make you ill. That gigabytage would cost me $240 with Page Plus. ($30 for the first 100MB, then $0.15 per megabyte for the rest.)

If you're a heavy data user, a "big company" plan is the best bet right now.
elbryn1000

Post by elbryn1000 »

centrifuge41 wrote:$2.50, tax included. No, really.

I bought a large initial card through Page Plus, which is a prepaid virtual provider of Verizon service. Subsequently, I only need to load $10 per 4 months to keep my account active.

Calls are 10c/min, texts are 8c, and data is pretty steep at $1.20/MB. They do deduct 50c per month to keep my line active. To keep minutes usage low, I place long calls at home through Google Voice. I don't text, though I can message over AIM and Gtalk over wifi for free. Most of my data consumption is over wifi (both at home and in the office). I only flip on the 3G data switch if I need to look up something really quickly and I'm out somewhere. Link
i also go this route. i have a palm pixi plus that is setup for voice only through pageplus on the $80/2000 minutes, good for a year. mobile wifi is perm disabled, wireless wifi is free at home/work/wherever i can get access from wifi. my wife is still on her old e815 but it suits her voice only needs. she has a droid eris for home itouch type use over wifi. (result of getting ripped off on craigslist and ending up with a bad esn phone)
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

elbryn1000 wrote:i also go this route. i have a palm pixi plus that is setup for voice only through pageplus on the $80/2000 minutes, good for a year. mobile wifi is perm disabled, wireless wifi is free at home/work/wherever i can get access from wifi.
I do the same, I pay about $6/mo, for 100-150 minutes and random text messages, and the very rare emergency data access. (For when I need that email RIGHT NOW.)
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

puck2005 wrote: What happens when you go outside their Sprint coverage map?
You simply can no longer make or receive phones calls, text, use the internet over 3G, etc. You do not "roam" to another network like you would with the more expensive post-paid plans. You can still play Angry Birds though. :-)

Whether or not this is a deal-breaker will depend on the locations in which you use your phone.

For me, there are fewer than maybe 12 hours a year that I'm out of the coverage area. So the VM plan works great for me. (I use the same $25 plan, but with the Samsung Intercept.)

JJ
Stay on target...
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

How did all of you Page Plus customers set up your smart phones. I really wouldn't want one for data, but it would be nice to have a wifi every day phone with an actual keyboard. Not sure if the Palm fits the bill on that one. Thanks