Vacuum cleaner

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
John Bailout

Vacuum cleaner

Post by John Bailout »

What brand vacuum cleaner do Bogleheads buy and hold?

My no-name vacuum cleaner from Target is disintegrating after ~5 years, of which 4 years it didn't work all that well.

We prefer canister to upright vacuum cleaners.

I am loath to buy a Dyson - seems too gimmicky and over-priced (some one has to pay for all those ads)?

Oreck seems like technology from 70s and overpriced, but maybe good quality, service?

Thoughts?

What brands deliver on quality, durability for a reasonable price?
phositadc

Post by phositadc »

I have a Dyson. Absolutely love it. Overpriced? Maybe. But definitely the best vacuum I've ever had. Cleans exceptionally well.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I have a hand-me-down Kenmore canister vaccum from the late 1980s that is starting to get a bit tired. I am considering replacing it with a new Kenmore of similar size/specs.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

We've had two Kenmore canisters in the last 20 years and would likely buy another.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Rainbow. But they are not cheap. :shock: You might want to do a search on this - there have been a couple of long threads in the last year or so.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

We use the Hoover Tempo Widepath Upright Vacuum, Bagged, U5140-900 after researching through consumer reports. It is not quiet by no means but this baby is powerful and at a great price. Amazon has it for under $80.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
leo383

Post by leo383 »

I used to sell vacuums at Sears, and have lots of experience with Electrolux, Dyson, Kenmore, Hoover, and Eureka.

The Kenmores are, in my experience, the best value. You really can't go wrong with the canister one or two notches down from the top of the line. They are made by Panasonic, so if you have access to Panasonics, they are pretty much the same.

Dysons are very nice, but are about $100 more than a comparable model from another less-fashionable brand. Their performance is no better than the upper level Kenmores or Hoovers, and I believe Consumer Reports backs me up on that.

Some people really, really don't want a bagged vacuum, and Dyson is probably your best bagless option.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Consumer Reports review vacuums almost yearly.
Gordon
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

We had a vacuum cleaner thread last year, and Miele was a favorite. Based on that I bought a Miele Polaris from Amazon and it's fine. HEPA filter is a nice feature.

It's on sale for $10 less than I paid:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OJ ... os_product

It's just a canister with good bags, HEPA, good suction. No attempt to be fancy like Oreck, Dyson, et al.
18% cash 44% stock 38% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
pochax

Post by pochax »

Dyson....can get them refurbished for 30-40% off sticker price. still working after over 2-3 yrs just as new.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

I have one of those Bissell helix ones. Works fine for me. $68 at Walmart about six months ago.
magneto

Post by magneto »

Siebe available with HEPA/Hospital Grade Filter. As an allergy sufferer the Miele sounds a possible alternative.

Have always avoided Dyson as I assume the cyclone technology would recycle the smaller (microscopoic dust mite droppings) particles back into the atmsophere. Is this a correct view?
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Our last was a Dyson. Multiple issues with the clutch. A service center noted Dyson's had problems with this part. The price was high and the quality was the pits.

We purchased a new Shark sweeper. They are on television every morning with the wide variety of products. The price was $160 (less than half of Dyson's average price) and the quality is amazing. No difference between that and Dyson. I can not believe what the Shark lifts from the carpets!

I would think this has to impact Dyson's sales & market share!
Piyushk34

Post by Piyushk34 »

I was constantly replacing vacuum cleaners due to the rubber belts being burned off. Then I decided to buy Eureka Model C2094, because the rubber belt is placed right in the middle instead of the side. This vacuum cleaners doesn't have all the bells and whistles available in other vacuums, but it very durable, requires low maintenance, not costly, and it just sucks! :lol:
OAG

Post by OAG »

We have about a 17 year old Hover Wind Tunnel and we use is about 2-3 times a week. Heavy but it does the job very well. Filters a bit pricey but if you purchase them on line they are economical (just a paper filter). The smaller filters can be washed dried and reinstalled (have never had to replace the smaller ones). We do the larger one about once a year (they can be cleaned and reinserted. I purchased some replacement belts but never have had to replace one yet. Our Daughter has a newer Dyson and I did not like using it but she does.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
realitytruthprozac

Post by realitytruthprozac »

Miele is exactly what you need.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Are you supposed to change the filters on vacuum cleaners? I never have. Still seems to suck, however.
JasonR

Post by JasonR »

Another vote for Shark. We bought the Navigator model for $150 at Target. Quiet and great lifting power, especially pet hair, but not the greatest capacity. Expect to empty the dust reservoir often.
LynnC

Post by LynnC »

A very old Miele and a Hoover Wind Tunnel. Both use those hyper allergenic bags.

For the tile floors in the bathrooms, I have a steam cleaner. I think it is a Shark.

LynnC
sammi24

Post by sammi24 »

Even though expensive, I have a Dyson. I love it and have never had any problems with it. Try and find something that is not likely to lose suction. Might want to check online for reviews from other customers.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Just stumbled into this cheap, double-duty capability.

My current favorite house vacuum is a small 5-gallon ACE hardware shop vacuum (wet/dry). Its mostly plastic so lighter than and about the same size as my old metal canister vacuums. Filters are cheap pad/paper over the motor air discharge and not thrown away when the canister is dumped. Have used it a few times for small "floods" and really like this double-duty aspect. Think it was ~$30, so a big bang for small bucks.

(added) I made a hose connector so I could use the attachments from my old existing canister vacuums (wand, brushes,...) and if needed, I could adapt a beater-brush head, too.

Have seen some janitorial staff using a back-mounted vacuum that might be easy to use. Don't know anything about their weight or expense of use.
Last edited by dratkinson on Tue May 03, 2011 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

leo383 wrote:The Kenmores are, in my experience, the best value. You really can't go wrong with the canister one or two notches down from the top of the line. They are made by Panasonic, so if you have access to Panasonics, they are pretty much the same.
We've had several Kenmore canister vacuums and they seem to be a good value. The canister base itself is rock solid, never had any problems with it at all. The hose and electrics have been solid as well and we use our vacuum multiple times daily over a large area. Three kids and a dog (need I say more?).

The head leaves something to be desired, though. Oh, it cleans marvelously well, but there's an angled bend where the hose comes into the "wand" that is just curved enough to be annoying to clean out...and the baseplate of the head is made of thin plastic, and the head overall seems flimsy. I've had three of them break over the years (two vacuums) and now it's the one item in my life I find it worthwhile to keep paying for an extended warranty on, Sears seems to have no problem replacing it every other year or so.

Growing up, when we moved into a house in the 1980's we inherited an old Electrolux canister vacuum from the '40s, it was all metal and rode in a wooden case on caster wheels. Heavy but we figured we'd just keep using it until it broke. I think it was still working 25 years later, and sucked like you wouldn't believe (the head wasn't as effective as the modern beater bar ones, though).

-Janet
masteraleph

Post by masteraleph »

We have a Miele canister model. Very quiet, enough power to suck up just about anything out there (I'd be worried if we had pet hamsters), ergonomic and stores quite nicely. Only problem is that they're expensive.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

A Miele canister. After years of buying cheap vacuum cleaners we finally bought a good one. We bought it because Consumer Reports said it was quiet, and believe me that's important, too. (I think the cheap ones are deliberately made noisy in order to make it sound as if they're powerful).

I can't believe the difference. There is no substitute for just plain having lots of suction (and moving lots of air).
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

nisiprius wrote:A Miele canister. After years of buying cheap vacuum cleaners we finally bought a good one. We bought it because Consumer Reports said it was quiet, and believe me that's important, too. (I think the cheap ones are deliberately made noisy in order to make it sound as if they're powerful).

I can't believe the difference. There is no substitute for just plain having lots of suction (and moving lots of air).
Nisi,

I googled "Miele Canister" and many models showed up. Whcih model do you own? I, too will be in need of a new vacuum cleaner in the near future.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

I love my Dyson. My buddy works at Sears and got his discount plus it was on sale. Expensive, but worth it if you have a pet.
9Iron

Post by 9Iron »

We bought an electrolux in 1983... still use it.
bagle

Post by bagle »

Dyson. Bought it for my wife after checking various allergy foundation recommendations. I think it´s one reason she is better.
jives

Post by jives »

I have had a Dyson DC25 for a couple of years now. It's the best vacuum cleaner I've ever owned - no contest. I'm still amazed at all the stuff it pulls out of the carpet.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

For what it's worth, stumbled across this ABC report....

"Top Picks: Consumer Reports Puts Vacuum Cleaners To The Test"
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/top-pick ... d=12985601

Above links to this at Consumer Reports....

"Vacuum Cleaners, Vacuum Cleaner Rating"
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appl ... /index.htm

Didn't see any dates so don't know how current is the information.
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

I've got a Dyson that's about a year old. Build quality is a bit plasticy, but it works well.
runner26

Post by runner26 »

My latest purchase was a Hoover upright hepa-bag. The thing makes so much noise, I have to leave the house to keep from wrapping it around my spouses neck, or throwing it out the front door :x . Spouse wears earplugs.
Last edited by runner26 on Thu May 05, 2011 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmbkb4

Post by jmbkb4 »

chrikenn wrote:I have a Dyson. Absolutely love it. Overpriced? Maybe. But definitely the best vacuum I've ever had. Cleans exceptionally well.
I think Dyson is a huge, overpriced disappointment. Our Hoover wind tunnel cleans INFINITELY better.

And now that I have found washable air filters for the Hoover for $6.95 on AMZN, it's a no-brainer.

It's pathetic what our top-of-the-line Dyson will not pick up......