Tempur-Pedic Mattress, is it worth it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
InvestoGuy

Tempur-Pedic Mattress, is it worth it?

Post by InvestoGuy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Hello Folks;
We are considering the Tempur-Pedic Rhapsody Mattress. My wife has back pain and lot of folks told us it is the right way to go for back pains and overall sleep comfort.

The mattress is pretty pricy. What is the general opinion? Is it really worth the money? Does it help with back pain?

Also, will you recommend getting the corresponding pillows with it as well.

If anyone has used the mattress and pillow, please advise if it is worth the $$$.

Thanks.

dkdoy

Post by dkdoy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:53 pm

We bought a top of the line Costco memory foam and have been very happy. It was about half the price of Tempurpedic with better specs. Went with Costco because of return policy and have been very happy with choice.

norookie

Post by norookie » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:55 pm

:D Tempur-Pedic? Search thie site.......a few threads. Tempur-pedic has a 5#(lb) resistance foam.....AFAIRecall. A lot of counterfeiters considering the price! Thats a consideration.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c

mainiac

Post by mainiac » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:59 pm

We have the basic Temperpedic (I think 8 inches on a platform bed frame)and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

I would wake up and have to walk hunched over for a bit before my back let me walk upright with our old mattress. Now I almost jump up out of bed (I am so not a morning person).

teacher

Post by teacher » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:43 pm

We bought our 10" Temper-Pedic about 10 years ago on line. My shoulder pain is a distant memory. We have a 2" memory foam topper from Costco which makes it more soft. We are saving up for another someday, but this one has shown no signs of wear or sagging. We bought the Costco memory foam mattress for our son and his wife as a house warming gift, and they both rave about it. My son says his backache is history.

jesseatcal

Post by jesseatcal » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:46 pm

One of the best purchases I ever made. You will not regret it.

BogleTurtle

Post by BogleTurtle » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:21 pm

short-->Yes

One of our few splurges

I notice it when I sleep anywhere else. I LOVE my bed.

dryfly

Re: Tempur-Pedic Mattress, is it worth it?

Post by dryfly » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:14 am

InvestoGuy wrote:Hello Folks;
We are considering the Tempur-Pedic Rhapsody Mattress. My wife has back pain and lot of folks told us it is the right way to go for back pains and overall sleep comfort.

The mattress is pretty pricy. What is the general opinion? Is it really worth the money? Does it help with back pain?

If anyone has used the mattress and pillow, please advise if it is worth the $$$.

Thanks.
Bought the Rhapsody last summer and would not take $1MM for it. Great buy.

Went down to buy the Deluxe and the dealer was out of stock but made me a great deal on the Rhapsody. Felt like it might be a little too firm but has worked out perfect.

Borrowed a TP pillow from my brother (he bought and did not like) and I did not care for it. Too firm and too tall. May eventually try another style of their pillows.

You may find similar mattress for less but I just didn't want to take a chance.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:31 am

I have had a Rhapsody, ergo base, and TP original pillows for two years. It took a while to break the mattress in, maybe four months. It helped to leave the head of the bed elevated during the day.

Now both mattress and pillow are perfect. I too have no fear of springing out of bed in the morning -- it's pretty amazing compared to my old mattress. Try the free pillow you should get and see if you want another. I like the way your shoulders are completely supported by the mattress while the thicker part of the pillow supports your neck... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I did not have chronic back pain, but did have occasional shoulder pain that has gone.

It's my most expensive piece of furniture, and no regrets.
16% cash 48% stock 36% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.85%

bagle

Post by bagle » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:02 am

I thought it was an outrageous splurge when I bought it.

Today, I´d say you´d have to pry my dead hands off it. It´s the best quality of life investment I´ve made. I would definitely get the pillow, too, but only after trying the different widths.

midareff

Tempur-Pedic

Post by midareff » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:10 am

I'm s severe osteoarthritic and had Tempur-Pedic recommended to me about 16 or 17 years ago. Took a free 30 day trial and only needed one night to decide. I'll sleep on something else when I'm dead, best quality of life purchase I ever made.

Stonebr

Post by Stonebr » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:28 am

We own both a generic furniture store (Jordan's in Boston area) memory foam mattress and a genuine TempurPedic that cost twice as much.

I can tell you that there is a significant difference in quality and comfort. I like both, but the TempurPedic is better. Twice as good? Maybe. With the TempurPedic I toss and turn far less often. Both have good isolation of two peoples' movements -- the bed doesn't bounce around when your spouse turns over. Maybe TempurPedic is a little better in this regard, but both are good. TempurPedic's molding to your body form is much better and the "memory" is better. This effect makes it a little harder to roll over and get into a new position, but as I mentioned above you just don't do this as often as with other mattresses. In about half a minute you've sunk into a mold that supports your weight so evenly you feel like you're on a cloud. The generic memory foam is nowhere near as good in this regard.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear

Dagwood

Re: Tempur-Pedic Mattress, is it worth it?

Post by Dagwood » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:13 am

InvestoGuy wrote:Hello Folks;

Thanks.
IT is expensive, no question -- more than I wanted to spend but my wife really wanted a tempurpedic. Well, we've had it a few years and I can say it is worth the money. The biggest problem I have now is I realize how lousy I sleep anywhere other than home.

bmb823

Post by bmb823 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:19 am

From those who have one, it's obvious that you love them. Did you find any issues with being hot at night? I'd read in other forums that some people thought this was an issue--that sleeping in a foam mattress seemed to trap in a lot of heat. What's the consensus on that?

bhoy

Post by bhoy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:21 am

Just as an option...

http://www.myessentia.com/

That is another company that makes it without the chemicals that TP uses.

Mister Whale

Post by Mister Whale » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:30 am

In the last six weeks, I have tried a Tempur-Pedic, a Comfor-Pedic (Crate & Barrel's version), and a Savvy Rest organic latex mattress.

The Comfor-Pedic was the most comfortable (helped with back pain) and the least expensive.

The Savvy Rest mattress is the most expensive (by far) and marginally the least comfortable (I have mild lower back issues). However, my wife has chemical sensitivities; she was mildly sensitive to the Comfor-Pedic (which to me didn't smell at all) and very sensitive to the Tempur-Pedic (which has a strong odor, even after several weeks).
Stonebr wrote:TempurPedic's molding to your body form is much better and the "memory" is better. This effect makes it a little harder to roll over and get into a new position, but as I mentioned above you just don't do this as often as with other mattresses. In about half a minute you've sunk into a mold that supports your weight so evenly you feel like you're on a cloud. The generic memory foam is nowhere near as good in this regard.
I would mostly agree with this; however, I found that I liked being able to move around on the bed, which was probably the reason that I liked the Comfor-Pedic better.

Lie on a lot of beds and ask about what's on sale this week.

Hope that this helps someone.
Last edited by Mister Whale on Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
" ... advice is most useful and at its best, not when it is telling you what to do, but when it is illuminating aspects of the situation you hadn't thought about." --nisiprius

arthurb999

Post by arthurb999 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:32 am

I bought the $3,000 celeberity about 7 years ago and it's still in great shape. I personally love it. You spend 1/3 of your life in bed, why not have the "best"?

I'm not hot at night with them... but i have a ceiling fan and central ac.
Last edited by arthurb999 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

NateH

Post by NateH » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:37 am

considering one might buy a bed about every 7-10 years, and spend 6-8 hours per day in it, I would not skimp on a mattress over what equates to loose change over the expected life of the product.

Dagwood

Post by Dagwood » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:46 am

bmb823 wrote:From those who have one, it's obvious that you love them. Did you find any issues with being hot at night? I'd read in other forums that some people thought this was an issue--that sleeping in a foam mattress seemed to trap in a lot of heat. What's the consensus on that?
I have noticed this. I tend to simply use lighter sheets / blankets. HTH.

shazaam

Tempur-Pedic?

Post by shazaam » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:49 am

As a former Tempur-Pedic dealer, I can say with confidence that their products are top-notch. We don't sleep on one (to my dismay, my wife doesn't find them to be comfortable -- I REALLY wanted a BellaSona), but I never hesitate to recommend them to others. If you haven't already, be sure to the take the time to give them a thorough trial run in the store. Spend at least 10 minutes on each model that appeals to you. Given the potential cost and the hassle of switching to another model, it's time well spent. On that note, be sure to ask the retailer about how they handle the trial period -- Tempur-Pedic charges retailers to take the mattresses back, so most retailers will pass that cost on to the consumer.

As for your question about back pain, that's tough to answer. Many people do find relief from back pain when sleeping on a Tempur-Pedic product, but it's not a panacea. Nonetheless, their material does a remarkable job of providing support without applying pressure. The result is better circulation (especially in the capillaries) and more restful sleep (as opposed to restless -- most people toss and turn less on a Tempur-Pedic).

I'll say one last thing about knock-offs. There's no shortage of "memory foam" products in the market, many of which purport to be just like Tempur-Pedic (but cheaper). The problem is that you, as the consumer, will have a very hard time determining the veracity of that statement. I'm not a big name brand advocate, but, in this case, I'd say play it safe and go with Tempur-Pedic. Their material is patented, they're the market leader, and they're a customer-focused company with a strong reputation. They'll also give you free pillows! :D While the mattress prices aren't normally negotiable (Tempur-Pedic seriously frowns on this), most retailers will be happy to throw in two free pillows. After all, it's a high margin sale for them.

carolc

Post by carolc » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:18 am

I've had one for about 10 years now (back when there weren't a million different types). No, it did not help my back pain but I love it anyway because I can't feel my partner tossing and turning like I did with a regular mattress. (Now it's tough when we travel and have to sleep on regular mattresses !)

carolc

Marmot

We love ours

Post by Marmot » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:19 pm

Hands down, the best IMO

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Mattress experience

Post by Taylor Larimore » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:43 pm

Hi Investo:

We purchased twin Tempur-Pedic mattresses (including frame) about 7 years ago from a Relax-the-Back store. Several years after purchase one of our reclining beds failed to operate. The store told us to call the manufacturer who immediately sent a new motor and electrical attachments under the warranty. I was able to install the machinery myself.

I am not as enthused about sponge mattresses as others seem to be. Our mattresses are beginning to have a slight body-shaped sag in the middle (not all bad).

When one has slept very soundly in the bottom of a foxhole, the expensive 'perfect' mattress doesn't seem that important.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

sage1166

Post by sage1166 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:00 pm

A king-size Tempur-Pedic bed was my wife and mine's first splurge together. We both LOVE sleeping in our bed and almost dread when we have to sleep at a relative's house or in a hotel. We both wake up almost every day saying how well we slept. I am a particularly light sleeper, so noises in the middle of the night wake me up (or at least rip me out of REM sleep). The Tempur-Pedic makes no noise when she moves, allowing me to get a full night's rest.

One tip: Buy a Tempur-Pedic mattress cover when you buy the mattress. It supposedly extends the warranty by several years.
A crowded police docket is the surest of all signs that trade is brisk and money plenty. | -Mark Twain

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:33 pm

Almost a year ago we bough a latex foam mattress from costco. It was fairly expensive, but we've been big fans. I recommend trying to lay on a few to see how they feel. It's similar to memory foam but different:

- you don't sink over time into a shape
- it's reputedly not as hot
- it might be slightly more durable than memory foam, should be substantially more durable than a conventional mattress.

The bed does not sleep hot, and we've only had it a year but it's fine. Check out the feel though, it's kind of a cross between conventional mattress and memory foam.

Manbaerpig

Post by Manbaerpig » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:06 pm

I cross-shopped the tempurpedic and the sleep# bed about 5 years ago and went with the sleep#

my parents have the tempurpedic too but it seems more "dead" to me, as in just a big slab of blobby dense foam. The sleep# I like better, I have one # if I sleep on my side and another for my stomach. can't sleep on my back for some reason

personal preference. I loved it when I think the radisson..? or some other hotel standardized on them. couple more hotel stays on it and didnt want anything else

blkirsch

Post by blkirsch » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:35 pm

I too would recommend the TempurPedic, including the pillows. About 3 years ago we went with a basic model (which at the time was the only model with a Consumer Reports best buy symbol) instead of the "fancier" versions. Two pillows were included in mattress price. I was surprised how comfortable it was at the time, and like others have said you realize how good it is when you sleep away from home on a different mattress. We have not noticed any heat differences vs. a previous mattress. It is holding up well over time with no sagging, but I do rotate it once in a while
While I may be frugal, I have never regretted the TempurPedic.

Make sure you try the different mattress models, and definitely trial the different pillow styles, before you make your final decision.

Good luck!

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:54 pm

My chronic back pain was completely relieved many years ago by the purchase of an "ultra" firm innerspring mattress. At about the 10 year mark the pain began to return. It was again relieved by a new (but different) "ultra" firm mattress. Have replaced with similar every 10 years since with no further back pain.

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:58 pm

There's a lot of good mattress info at the forum at whatsthebestmattress.com.

Bottom line seems to be that tempurpedic is fantastic and definitely worth the money - for the subgroup people who like them. And they absolutely do not work for others. I'm one of the latter - they make me ache even more than I normally do. People who sleep hot don't like them because they retain heat more than most mattresses. And some people just can't get used to the quicksand feeling.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:04 am

Great product. I have two. Had a queen when single, bought a king when married. I am normally the guy that goes cheap, unless there is a real difference. There is. My back hasn't been much of a problem the last 12 years. My wife hates sleeping on anything else.

Now our guests thank us because of the 12 year old queen.

JT

PS - my Mom, who taught me to be frugal, but convinced me to buy the queen because of my back, bought one after she and her husband stayed in the guest bed. The product speaks for itself.

JimInIllinois

Post by JimInIllinois » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:09 am

bmb823 wrote:From those who have one, it's obvious that you love them. Did you find any issues with being hot at night? I'd read in other forums that some people thought this was an issue--that sleeping in a foam mattress seemed to trap in a lot of heat. What's the consensus on that?
The foam both traps heat and takes longer to warm up or cool down than a traditional mattress, but there are ways to avoid this issue unless you are so overweight that you are always hot. In the summer you need to keep the mattress cool during the day. If you try to be frugal by keeping the room at 85 and only turning on the air conditioner or opening the windows at night the bed will be uncomfortably warm. In the winter the bed will take a long time to warm up, so we use an electric mattress pad to pre-heat the bed and turn it off when we're ready to go to sleep.

I love the mattress. I sleep equally well on quality pillow-top mattresses when away from home, but I don't think those will last 20 years like the TempurPedic.

-Jim

LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:14 am

After looking around for various memory foam mattresses I found a good one in Amazon. Though it's not TempurPedic, I believe it's almost the same quality and at a third of what TempurPedic costs.

I like it so far. But the only quible is the heat it generates.
Even in winters, I like to use a Duvet and the Mattress sort of 'traps' heat and I feel sweaty sometimes. If you are used to thin blankets this shouldn't be a problem.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:50 am

I would highly recommend a good latex foam mattress, at least to try as an option versus memory foam. We did a lot of comparison shopping (read: lying down in various stores) last year when we bought our new mattress. We tried out spring/pillow-top mattresses, Tempur-Pedic and other memory foam, Select Comfort air mattresses (which we thought we were going to buy before trying everything out), and latex foam. A good latex mattress was the most comfortable for us by far.

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:54 am

I've been sleeping on a Tempur-Pedic mattress for almost 10 years. If I had to do it again, I would not buy one. It's like sleeping on wet sand. To make it bearable I had to buy a very thick topper that helps considerably. Another thing I don't like about it is that the damn mattress weighs a ton. It's king-size and turning it is one strenuous workout.

Some people swear by Tempur-Pedics. I understand that they have come out with different toppers that make them very comfortable. I'll never find out because I'll never buy another one. I'm looking at possibly buying a Sleep Number Bed. Does anybody here have experience with those?
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

bluto

Post by bluto » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:02 am

How about preferred sleeping position? Maybe the tempurpedic is equally well suited for back, side and stomach sleepers. And maybe not?

Could people share their preferred sleeping position along with their review?

wlpotts

Post by wlpotts » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:07 am

I decided that I wanted to go with the memory foam option, but did not want to invest $1200 bucks+ for the name brand product. I opted for an Overstock.com 11" memory foam mattress that cost $2.00 for delivery and was 1/3rd the price.

It's been the best sleep that I've gotten for years. That said, at the bargain price that I had paid for it, it allows me to sleep-in longer since I don't have to get up earlier and go to work in order to pay for what the name brand product was demanding.

zzzzzz....

Warren P.
Some have it. Some don't. Either way, here I am!

soaring

Post by soaring » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:42 am

Careful about tall pillows. Lay on one. Is your neck straight or is there too much of a bend upward. Whatever you buy your neck should not bend upward IMO. Wife had a $50 memory foam pillow that maintained too much height even after laying on it for awhile. Neck and shoulder pain began soon after...until she changed pillows.

Some folks with back pain need very firm (not manufacture claims) and memory foam does not provide extreme firmness just by its nature. You sink in it...memory.

We have found one mattress with 800+ coils. Now we must research how thick the coils are and how they are connected along with how the support rod that goes all the way around the exterior is connected and its size (side support).
It has been such a challenge we have made no decisions. Manufactures are purposely vague about the specs so comparison is virtually impossible.
Desiderata

Mian

Post by Mian » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:47 am

I love my Tempur-Pedic mattress!

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:11 pm

soaring wrote:Careful about tall pillows. Lay on one. Is your neck straight or is there too much of a bend upward. Whatever you buy your neck should not bend upward IMO. Wife had a $50 memory foam pillow that maintained too much height even after laying on it for awhile. Neck and shoulder pain began soon after...until she changed pillows.

Some folks with back pain need very firm (not manufacture claims) and memory foam does not provide extreme firmness just by its nature. You sink in it...memory.

We have found one mattress with 800+ coils. Now we must research how thick the coils are and how they are connected along with how the support rod that goes all the way around the exterior is connected and its size (side support).
It has been such a challenge we have made no decisions. Manufactures are purposely vague about the specs so comparison is virtually impossible.
Definitely do a search here - lots of brand info.

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/

There are even people on this forum who take a knife to their new mattresses to dissect and customize them to their needs. So you might find someone who has seen your mattress from the inside.

ram

Post by ram » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:33 pm

Mattress- yes
Pillow- no
Ram

Polar_Ice

Post by Polar_Ice » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:33 pm

We were shopping for a mattress a couple of years ago and ended up learning a lot more about mattress. I believe in spending the money on a quality mattress. You spend so much time on it and it has a direct affect on a good night sleep.

We considered the Tempur-Pedic bed but found them to be a very bad choice for us.

-they are petroleum based
-do not breath & traps heat (the newer ones they are addressing the problem but still the mattress doesn't breath compared to others)
-outgases fumes (the first few months the most but still some after that)
-overpriced for what you get
-can cause allergies

http://www.tempurpediccomplaints.com/

We ended going with a natural 100% latex mattress and it has been outstanding. It is covered in a cotton and wool. Those are the only materials in the whole mattress. I would recommend finding a seller that sells 100% latex mattress and try one out. If you are in the No. Cal. area I can recommend a great place where we got ours.

Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:52 pm

I have to ask because it's such an important part of my life, but how easy is the act of lovemaking on a Tempur? Does it "rock" like a spring mattress does, or do you sink down in it thus making it difficult getting the right tempo?