Epson 8700UB projector

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jmbkb4

Epson 8700UB projector

Post by jmbkb4 »

I am going to be buying a projector for the theater room in a few weeks. I had initially been told by my brother to buy the Epson 8700UB given its cheap price ($2300) and great overall picture, especially black levels.

That said, after doing some research, I've heard that the bulb/lamp doesn't last as long (600 or so hours sometimes) as it is stated to (4,000 hours).

Does anyone have any experience with this projector or have a model that they have liked better??

Thanks!
jasonlitka

Post by jasonlitka »

I can't speak to the bulb life on this particular model, I don't own it, though with most projectors if you run them at full brightness they will have a shorter-than-rated lifespan (most are rated in "Eco" mode).

I can say that you're overpaying @ $2300 though. You shouldn't be paying more than $2K for the 8700UB and at that price you can get a free spare bulb by mail directly from Epson.

http://shop.avscience.com/Epson-Home-Ci ... _p_32.html

Call them and you may get a better price than the $1999 on the web.

Oh, and skip the color calibration if they offer it. The colors will change as the bulb ages, so there's little point to doing it once at the beginning. If you're going to calibrate it you need to do it on a regular basis.
Jason Litka
Topic Author
jmbkb4

Post by jmbkb4 »

Thanks very much, I will definitely shop around. He told me that was the MSRP.

I appreciate your help!
Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound »

I have an Epson8100 that was installed this past winter. We haven't had it on enough to speak to bulb life.
Our previous projecter's bulb life was short so we found by shopping on line we got the best price on replacement bulbs.
btownguy

Post by btownguy »

I own this projector. It is fantastic. $2300 is too much though. I paid $1999 from VisualApex and got an additional $100 rebate plus a free spare lamp ($300 value).

Epson has fantastic customer service and if your lamp blows that early they will certainly replace it. I had a minor issue (not lamp related) with my 8700ub and Epson overnighted me a brand new unit even before I sent them my old one.

I LOVE this projector!
Topic Author
jmbkb4

Post by jmbkb4 »

thanks a ton for the helpful advice.

the cheapest price I can find is $1,999 plus the free lamp. Do you know where I might find a better deal??

thanks again!
jasonlitka

Post by jasonlitka »

If you haven't already, try calling the company at the link I provided. When I bought my last Denon receiver from them they took another $100 off the web price.
Jason Litka
Topic Author
jmbkb4

Post by jmbkb4 »

thanks again!