Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
exeunt

Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by exeunt » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:29 am

The series premieres in a week. I've been re-reading A Song of Ice and Fire for the third time in preparation of Dance with Dragons, and it just gets even better with more readings.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:53 am

I am hopeful that it will be good. Too many times I have been disappointed by screen adaptations of good books. Thrones is pretty complicated and will be hard to get right, but if they do it should be great. The fact that it is a series and cable means that they should be able to do it right.
Mike

exeunt

Post by exeunt » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:06 am

I just saw the preview and the making-of. The production quality is extremely high--I wouldn't be surprised if it's the most expensive TV series ever.

ugakbk

Post by ugakbk » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:23 am

I don't have HBO, but wish I did just for this series. I figure I will have to wait until they hit DVD.

Any idea when Dances with Dragons will actually hit stores?

Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:42 am

I also have the audio book on order - and yes, am pumped for the show as well!
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe

ugakbk

Post by ugakbk » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:37 pm

After some searching, A Dance with Dragons comes out July 12, 2011.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

froman118

Post by froman118 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:35 pm

Yes, very excited for the show. Excited for the last book too.

taurabora

Post by taurabora » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:08 pm

froman118 wrote:Yes, very excited for the show. Excited for the last book too.
I don't believe Dance with Dragons is the last book... You're going to have to wait 10 more years for that. :wink:
# Title Pages Chapters Earliest Release
1. A Game of Thrones 807 73 August 1996
2. A Clash of Kings 969 70 November 1998
3. A Storm of Swords 1128 82 August 2000
4. A Feast for Crows 978 46 October 2005
5. A Dance with Dragons (Announced) July 12, 2011
6. The Winds of Winter (Forthcoming)
7. A Dream of Spring (Forthcoming)

zzzz

Post by zzzz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:27 pm

Let's hope the GRRM lasts the 10 years minimum he seems to need to finish the series off.

I look forward to the series when it hits netflix -- instant watch preferably, but disc will do too!!!!

I've been waiting for "A Dance with Dragons" for ever, or it certainly feels like it. :)

Fisher78

Post by Fisher78 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:46 pm

I'm interested in the series, especially since the Starz version of Camelot has been so disappointing thus far.

fantasma

Post by fantasma » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:12 am

Anyone watched the series premier last night?

Downeastah

Post by Downeastah » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:26 am

fantasma wrote:Anyone watched the series premier last night?
I did. I thought it was well done, and really looking forward to it. Strange though, I really enjoy well done fantasy and science fiction on TV/movies but rarely ever read it. May have to give these books a shot.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." George S. Patton, Jr.

fantasma

Post by fantasma » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:51 am

I am getting the boxed set from Amazon, books are highly recommended by a colleague.

I'm hoping that they veer a bit from the books, I don't want to know exactly what is going to happen after reading the books.

I can not wait until mid-season so many characters and stories they introduced everyone really well.

All of the ending scenes, had me panting for more!

Opponent Process

Post by Opponent Process » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:23 pm

first episode SPOILER...

I had a hard time keeping track of some of the characters, and how they're related, but that's typical for me. maybe someone can help.

somebody died (the king?) and was possibly murdered. a fat guy appears and is now in charge (the new king?) and went north to persuade his brother (I think) to come help him (vice president?). there's also a brother/sister who seem like they might want to take the throne, but I have no idea who they are related to or where they fit in lineage-wise. they are also boinking each other.

I understand that there's also a vanquished lineage, down south I think, where the brother has sold his sister to a mean-looking batch of dudes in order to persuade them to invade all of the above and take back the throne.

three nude scenes and a couple of decaps, tastefully done. they seem to have recruited real British actors. looks promising.
30/30/20/20 | US/International/Bonds/TIPS | Average Age=37

greensky

Post by greensky » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:29 pm

I would be excited, but there is no way to legally purchase it if you don't have HBO. Typically I buy a couple of shows on Amazon on Demand (Dr. Who) since I don't have cable. I guess I'll just have to wait for it to come out on DVD.

fantasma

Post by fantasma » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:08 pm

Opponent Process wrote:first episode SPOILER...

I had a hard time keeping track of some of the characters, and how they're related, but that's typical for me. maybe someone can help.

somebody died (the king?) and was possibly murdered. a fat guy appears and is now in charge (the new king?) and went north to persuade his brother (I think) to come help him (vice president?). there's also a brother/sister who seem like they might want to take the throne, but I have no idea who they are related to or where they fit in lineage-wise. they are also boinking each other.

I understand that there's also a vanquished lineage, down south I think, where the brother has sold his sister to a mean-looking batch of dudes in order to persuade them to invade all of the above and take back the throne.

three nude scenes and a couple of decaps, tastefully done. they seem to have recruited real British actors. looks promising.
Let me take a stab:
The king that died is the father of Viserys and Daenerys Targaren. They are the rightful heirs to the throne.

The current king is the (fat guy) he is a childhood friend of Lord Eddard Stark who comes to ask to become his right hand man; because that's the only person left in the kingdom he can trust. The brother and sister are twins Cersei and Jaime Lannister the richest family in the kingdom and they are having an affair. Cersei is the current kings wife.

The brother and sister down south are Viserys and Daenerys Targaren who are in exiled, their mother escaped while all the fighting was going on, the mother died while giving birth to Daenerys.

zeusrock1

Post by zeusrock1 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:20 pm

I thought the first episode was good. I think it'll take a couple shows to get rolling, but HBO series are usually very good and this has the makings to be one of the best.

After the ending last night I'm really looking forward to the next week's episode.

taurabora

Post by taurabora » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:48 pm

I enjoyed the first episode. My wife watched it with me, and liked it, except for all the T&A, so she said she probably won't watch it again.

I can't imagine trying to follow all the characters if I didn't already know who they were.

Opponent Process

Post by Opponent Process » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:52 pm

fantasma wrote:Let me take a stab:
The king that died is the father of Viserys and Daenerys Targaren. They are the rightful heirs to the throne...

The brother and sister down south are Viserys and Daenerys Targaren who are in exiled, their mother escaped while all the fighting was going on, the mother died while giving birth to Daenerys.

just two more questions:

if the dead king was their father, why were they in exile? I thought they were exiled long ago (?).

why is the fat guy king again? if the fat guy is the dead king's son, wouldn't that make him related to Viserys and Daenerys Targaren?

Opponent Process

Post by Opponent Process » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:00 pm

taurabora wrote:My wife watched it with me, and liked it, except for all the T&A, so she said she probably won't watch it again.
I've always been mesmerized by the inclusion of T&A, I mean more so than the T&A itself. I know it's HBO, and you should expect T&A, but when, seriously, is T&A really required for a storyline? the prostitute scene didn't require it. I get that they were trying to paint the exiled Daenerys Targaren as pure and beautiful and fragile in the face of being coldly sacrificed by her brother. but you could have achieved this without nudity. white hair, going into the heated bath, etc. and some of the general scene changes (dark to brilliant light by location) were striking enough on their own, not to mention the fact that the to-be mercenaries were (ahem) dark-skinned. I guess you could say that the nude form is just there to be admired.

norm

Post by norm » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:15 pm

This show and The Borgias have the same story line. Greedy men of power want more of the same and are willing to go to any lengths to achieve it (including using their daughter or sister's marriage to create alliances to strengthen their military & political might). Both stories include incestious love affairs.

I am surprised that HBO would broadcast two such similar series at the same time.

T&A is a pleasant way to offset the violence. :wink:

tyrion

Post by tyrion » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:17 pm

just two more questions:

if the dead king was their father, why were they in exile? I thought they were exiled long ago (?).

why is the fat guy king again? if the fat guy is the dead king's son, wouldn't that make him related to Viserys and Daenerys Targaren?
The 'fat king' (Robert Baratheon) took the crown by force, which caused the Targaryens to flee across the sea to exile. King Robert is not related to Viserys or Dany.

It will be interesting to see how this season plays out. There is a large audience who know the story and follow Martin's work closely, and another segment who don't know anything about the story.

I'm in the first camp and eagerly looking forward to watching (episode 1 is recorded and waiting!). My advice for the second group would be to sit back and enjoy. There are lots of places on the internet where the books are debated and deconstructed, but you would lose out on the experience if you go looking for information.

fantasma

Post by fantasma » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:37 pm

tyrion wrote:
just two more questions:

The 'fat king' (Robert Baratheon) took the crown by force, which caused the Targaryens to flee across the sea to exile. King Robert is not related to Viserys or Dany.

It will be interesting to see how this season plays out. There is a large audience who know the story and follow Martin's work closely, and another segment who don't know anything about the story.

I'm in the first camp and eagerly looking forward to watching (episode 1 is recorded and waiting!). My advice for the second group would be to sit back and enjoy. There are lots of places on the internet where the books are debated and deconstructed, but you would lose out on the experience if you go looking for information.
This is my current obsession until True Blood starts again.

Downeastah

Post by Downeastah » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:55 pm

norm wrote:
I am surprised that HBO would broadcast two such similar series at the same time.
Does HBO own Showtime? I am actually watching both series. I'm not quite so thrilled with the Borgias....yet....but will continue to watch. I'm a lot more excited about Game of Thrones, even after the first episode!
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." George S. Patton, Jr.

Borofish

Post by Borofish » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:32 pm

To clear up one possible misunderstanding by OP, the person who "died and was possibly murdered" was Jon Arryn, the former Hand of the King. The "new" King (he's actually been on the throne for about 15 years) went north to get a new Hand of the King.

Keep with it, and consider reading the books. Very much worth your time!

exeunt

Post by exeunt » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:34 pm

Opponent Process wrote:first episode SPOILER...

Not quite. Jon Arryn, the Hand of the King, was murdered. Ned Stark is his replacement and a childhood friend of the fat king. The king and Ned aren't brothers--they were just raised together by Jon Arryn.

Viserys and Daenerys Targaryens are the heirs of the previous lineage that held the Iron Throne. The fat king and Ned overthrew the Targaryens some years ago. The siblings aren't down south, but east across the sea.

astrohip

Post by astrohip » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:14 pm

I enjoyed the first episode. Never read the books, heck I've never even heard of them until this series. But I had no problem learning who's who. I also found this HBO site that gives more info (no spoilers, just helps explain people & places).

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/