Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
exeunt
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:54 pm

Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by exeunt » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:29 am

The series premieres in a week. I've been re-reading A Song of Ice and Fire for the third time in preparation of Dance with Dragons, and it just gets even better with more readings.

mhalley
Posts: 7692
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Post by mhalley » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:53 am

I am hopeful that it will be good. Too many times I have been disappointed by screen adaptations of good books. Thrones is pretty complicated and will be hard to get right, but if they do it should be great. The fact that it is a series and cable means that they should be able to do it right.
Mike

Topic Author
exeunt
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:54 pm

Post by exeunt » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:06 am

I just saw the preview and the making-of. The production quality is extremely high--I wouldn't be surprised if it's the most expensive TV series ever.

ugakbk
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:58 pm

Post by ugakbk » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:23 am

I don't have HBO, but wish I did just for this series. I figure I will have to wait until they hit DVD.

Any idea when Dances with Dragons will actually hit stores?

User avatar
Noobvestor
Posts: 4767
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:09 am
Contact:

Post by Noobvestor » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:42 am

I also have the audio book on order - and yes, am pumped for the show as well!
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe

ugakbk
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:58 pm

Post by ugakbk » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:37 pm

After some searching, A Dance with Dragons comes out July 12, 2011.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

froman118
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:04 pm

Post by froman118 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:35 pm

Yes, very excited for the show. Excited for the last book too.

taurabora
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:41 pm

Post by taurabora » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:08 pm

froman118 wrote:Yes, very excited for the show. Excited for the last book too.
I don't believe Dance with Dragons is the last book... You're going to have to wait 10 more years for that. :wink:
# Title Pages Chapters Earliest Release
1. A Game of Thrones 807 73 August 1996
2. A Clash of Kings 969 70 November 1998
3. A Storm of Swords 1128 82 August 2000
4. A Feast for Crows 978 46 October 2005
5. A Dance with Dragons (Announced) July 12, 2011
6. The Winds of Winter (Forthcoming)
7. A Dream of Spring (Forthcoming)

zzzz
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:29 am

Post by zzzz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:27 pm

Let's hope the GRRM lasts the 10 years minimum he seems to need to finish the series off.

I look forward to the series when it hits netflix -- instant watch preferably, but disc will do too!!!!

I've been waiting for "A Dance with Dragons" for ever, or it certainly feels like it. :)

Fisher78
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:30 pm

Post by Fisher78 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:46 pm

I'm interested in the series, especially since the Starz version of Camelot has been so disappointing thus far.

fantasma
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:30 am

Post by fantasma » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:12 am

Anyone watched the series premier last night?

User avatar
Downeastah
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:39 am

Post by Downeastah » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:26 am

fantasma wrote:Anyone watched the series premier last night?
I did. I thought it was well done, and really looking forward to it. Strange though, I really enjoy well done fantasy and science fiction on TV/movies but rarely ever read it. May have to give these books a shot.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." George S. Patton, Jr.

fantasma
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:30 am

Post by fantasma » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:51 am

I am getting the boxed set from Amazon, books are highly recommended by a colleague.

I'm hoping that they veer a bit from the books, I don't want to know exactly what is going to happen after reading the books.

I can not wait until mid-season so many characters and stories they introduced everyone really well.

All of the ending scenes, had me panting for more!

User avatar
Opponent Process
Posts: 5157
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:19 pm

Post by Opponent Process » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:23 pm

first episode SPOILER...

I had a hard time keeping track of some of the characters, and how they're related, but that's typical for me. maybe someone can help.

somebody died (the king?) and was possibly murdered. a fat guy appears and is now in charge (the new king?) and went north to persuade his brother (I think) to come help him (vice president?). there's also a brother/sister who seem like they might want to take the throne, but I have no idea who they are related to or where they fit in lineage-wise. they are also boinking each other.

I understand that there's also a vanquished lineage, down south I think, where the brother has sold his sister to a mean-looking batch of dudes in order to persuade them to invade all of the above and take back the throne.

three nude scenes and a couple of decaps, tastefully done. they seem to have recruited real British actors. looks promising.
30/30/20/20 | US/International/Bonds/TIPS | Average Age=37

greensky
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:55 pm

Post by greensky » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:29 pm

I would be excited, but there is no way to legally purchase it if you don't have HBO. Typically I buy a couple of shows on Amazon on Demand (Dr. Who) since I don't have cable. I guess I'll just have to wait for it to come out on DVD.

fantasma
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:30 am

Post by fantasma » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:08 pm

Opponent Process wrote:first episode SPOILER...

I had a hard time keeping track of some of the characters, and how they're related, but that's typical for me. maybe someone can help.

somebody died (the king?) and was possibly murdered. a fat guy appears and is now in charge (the new king?) and went north to persuade his brother (I think) to come help him (vice president?). there's also a brother/sister who seem like they might want to take the throne, but I have no idea who they are related to or where they fit in lineage-wise. they are also boinking each other.

I understand that there's also a vanquished lineage, down south I think, where the brother has sold his sister to a mean-looking batch of dudes in order to persuade them to invade all of the above and take back the throne.

three nude scenes and a couple of decaps, tastefully done. they seem to have recruited real British actors. looks promising.
Let me take a stab:
The king that died is the father of Viserys and Daenerys Targaren. They are the rightful heirs to the throne.

The current king is the (fat guy) he is a childhood friend of Lord Eddard Stark who comes to ask to become his right hand man; because that's the only person left in the kingdom he can trust. The brother and sister are twins Cersei and Jaime Lannister the richest family in the kingdom and they are having an affair. Cersei is the current kings wife.

The brother and sister down south are Viserys and Daenerys Targaren who are in exiled, their mother escaped while all the fighting was going on, the mother died while giving birth to Daenerys.

zeusrock1
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:00 am

Post by zeusrock1 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:20 pm

I thought the first episode was good. I think it'll take a couple shows to get rolling, but HBO series are usually very good and this has the makings to be one of the best.

After the ending last night I'm really looking forward to the next week's episode.

taurabora
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:41 pm

Post by taurabora » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:48 pm

I enjoyed the first episode. My wife watched it with me, and liked it, except for all the T&A, so she said she probably won't watch it again.

I can't imagine trying to follow all the characters if I didn't already know who they were.

User avatar
Opponent Process
Posts: 5157
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:19 pm

Post by Opponent Process » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:52 pm

fantasma wrote:Let me take a stab:
The king that died is the father of Viserys and Daenerys Targaren. They are the rightful heirs to the throne...

The brother and sister down south are Viserys and Daenerys Targaren who are in exiled, their mother escaped while all the fighting was going on, the mother died while giving birth to Daenerys.

just two more questions:

if the dead king was their father, why were they in exile? I thought they were exiled long ago (?).

why is the fat guy king again? if the fat guy is the dead king's son, wouldn't that make him related to Viserys and Daenerys Targaren?
30/30/20/20 | US/International/Bonds/TIPS | Average Age=37

User avatar
Opponent Process
Posts: 5157
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:19 pm

Post by Opponent Process » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:00 pm

taurabora wrote:My wife watched it with me, and liked it, except for all the T&A, so she said she probably won't watch it again.
I've always been mesmerized by the inclusion of T&A, I mean more so than the T&A itself. I know it's HBO, and you should expect T&A, but when, seriously, is T&A really required for a storyline? the prostitute scene didn't require it. I get that they were trying to paint the exiled Daenerys Targaren as pure and beautiful and fragile in the face of being coldly sacrificed by her brother. but you could have achieved this without nudity. white hair, going into the heated bath, etc. and some of the general scene changes (dark to brilliant light by location) were striking enough on their own, not to mention the fact that the to-be mercenaries were (ahem) dark-skinned. I guess you could say that the nude form is just there to be admired.
30/30/20/20 | US/International/Bonds/TIPS | Average Age=37

norm
Posts: 594
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:10 pm

Post by norm » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:15 pm

This show and The Borgias have the same story line. Greedy men of power want more of the same and are willing to go to any lengths to achieve it (including using their daughter or sister's marriage to create alliances to strengthen their military & political might). Both stories include incestious love affairs.

I am surprised that HBO would broadcast two such similar series at the same time.

T&A is a pleasant way to offset the violence. :wink:

User avatar
tyrion
Posts: 1216
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:33 pm

Post by tyrion » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:17 pm

just two more questions:

if the dead king was their father, why were they in exile? I thought they were exiled long ago (?).

why is the fat guy king again? if the fat guy is the dead king's son, wouldn't that make him related to Viserys and Daenerys Targaren?
The 'fat king' (Robert Baratheon) took the crown by force, which caused the Targaryens to flee across the sea to exile. King Robert is not related to Viserys or Dany.


It will be interesting to see how this season plays out. There is a large audience who know the story and follow Martin's work closely, and another segment who don't know anything about the story.

I'm in the first camp and eagerly looking forward to watching (episode 1 is recorded and waiting!). My advice for the second group would be to sit back and enjoy. There are lots of places on the internet where the books are debated and deconstructed, but you would lose out on the experience if you go looking for information.

fantasma
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:30 am

Post by fantasma » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:37 pm

tyrion wrote:
just two more questions:

if the dead king was their father, why were they in exile? I thought they were exiled long ago (?).

why is the fat guy king again? if the fat guy is the dead king's son, wouldn't that make him related to Viserys and Daenerys Targaren?
The 'fat king' (Robert Baratheon) took the crown by force, which caused the Targaryens to flee across the sea to exile. King Robert is not related to Viserys or Dany.


It will be interesting to see how this season plays out. There is a large audience who know the story and follow Martin's work closely, and another segment who don't know anything about the story.

I'm in the first camp and eagerly looking forward to watching (episode 1 is recorded and waiting!). My advice for the second group would be to sit back and enjoy. There are lots of places on the internet where the books are debated and deconstructed, but you would lose out on the experience if you go looking for information.
This is my current obsession until True Blood starts again.

User avatar
Downeastah
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:39 am

Post by Downeastah » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:55 pm

norm wrote:
I am surprised that HBO would broadcast two such similar series at the same time.
Does HBO own Showtime? I am actually watching both series. I'm not quite so thrilled with the Borgias....yet....but will continue to watch. I'm a lot more excited about Game of Thrones, even after the first episode!
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." George S. Patton, Jr.

Borofish
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:42 pm

Post by Borofish » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:32 pm

To clear up one possible misunderstanding by OP, the person who "died and was possibly murdered" was Jon Arryn, the former Hand of the King. The "new" King (he's actually been on the throne for about 15 years) went north to get a new Hand of the King.

Keep with it, and consider reading the books. Very much worth your time!

Topic Author
exeunt
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:54 pm

Post by exeunt » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:34 pm

Opponent Process wrote:first episode SPOILER...

I had a hard time keeping track of some of the characters, and how they're related, but that's typical for me. maybe someone can help.

somebody died (the king?) and was possibly murdered. a fat guy appears and is now in charge (the new king?) and went north to persuade his brother (I think) to come help him (vice president?). there's also a brother/sister who seem like they might want to take the throne, but I have no idea who they are related to or where they fit in lineage-wise. they are also boinking each other.

I understand that there's also a vanquished lineage, down south I think, where the brother has sold his sister to a mean-looking batch of dudes in order to persuade them to invade all of the above and take back the throne.

three nude scenes and a couple of decaps, tastefully done. they seem to have recruited real British actors. looks promising.
Not quite. Jon Arryn, the Hand of the King, was murdered. Ned Stark is his replacement and a childhood friend of the fat king. The king and Ned aren't brothers--they were just raised together by Jon Arryn.

Viserys and Daenerys Targaryens are the heirs of the previous lineage that held the Iron Throne. The fat king and Ned overthrew the Targaryens some years ago. The siblings aren't down south, but east across the sea.

astrohip
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:29 pm
Location: Houston TX

Post by astrohip » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:14 pm

I enjoyed the first episode. Never read the books, heck I've never even heard of them until this series. But I had no problem learning who's who. I also found this HBO site that gives more info (no spoilers, just helps explain people & places).

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/

Ambition89
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:03 pm

Re: Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by Ambition89 » Mon May 06, 2019 10:07 am

Hope it’s met your expectations!

astrohip
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:29 pm
Location: Houston TX

Re: Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by astrohip » Mon May 06, 2019 10:12 am

Eight year thread bump!

I've become a Game of Thrones fanatic, as have about 30 million others. Ended up reading the books, and have watched each episode as it airs. Superbly written series, great drama, plotting, action. And dragons! Who knew?
"Happiness is not about doing, it’s about being." - R Branson

dcabler
Posts: 1142
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:30 am

Re: Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by dcabler » Mon May 06, 2019 10:19 am

First heard about it at around season 4. Went to the public library and checked out DVD's and DW and I binge watched over several months till we were caught up. Been watching episodes as they come out ever since. For TV it's a somewhat complex story and I admit that, especially between seasons, we've found ourselves having forgotten some of the events/characters that preceded the latest season....

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 3498
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:22 am

astrohip wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:12 am
Eight year thread bump!

I've become a Game of Thrones fanatic, as have about 30 million others. Ended up reading the books, and have watched each episode as it airs. Superbly written series, great drama, plotting, action. And dragons! Who knew?
I have watched GOT thru the sixth season. I ran out of free HBO so I'm waiting to signup again at HBO to finish wrapping up the series.

Is the series fairly honest to the books? I have to say sometimes there seem to be 50 sub-plots going on at the same time, and I found myself re-watching episodes that left me confused. When I do get HBO again I plan to start at the beginning and work my way through the entire series.

Would the books be worth reading just to have a deeper understanding of the series?

I think the series has had mostly very good acting, not-to-shabby special effects, crazy plots, all in all good.

Certainly has been good for HBO, just like The Sopranos.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Thesaints
Posts: 2921
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:25 am

Re: Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by Thesaints » Mon May 06, 2019 11:26 am

Looking forward to the end of it.

froman118
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by froman118 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:40 am

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:22 am
Is the series fairly honest to the books? I have to say sometimes there seem to be 50 sub-plots going on at the same time, and I found myself re-watching episodes that left me confused. When I do get HBO again I plan to start at the beginning and work my way through the entire series.

Would the books be worth reading just to have a deeper understanding of the series?
The books are a good read and I enjoyed them a lot. When you get there, lookup a guide to read Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons in a more enjoyable order (books were split up between characters rather than chronological order). The show has been off book material since season 6 and it shows. I have a feeling I'm going to end up dissatisfied with how the HBO series finishes up and hope Martin can get the final books out eventually.

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 3498
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:50 am

froman118 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:40 am
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:22 am
Is the series fairly honest to the books? I have to say sometimes there seem to be 50 sub-plots going on at the same time, and I found myself re-watching episodes that left me confused. When I do get HBO again I plan to start at the beginning and work my way through the entire series.

Would the books be worth reading just to have a deeper understanding of the series?
The books are a good read and I enjoyed them a lot. When you get there, lookup a guide to read Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons in a more enjoyable order (books were split up between characters rather than chronological order). The show has been off book material since season 6 and it shows. I have a feeling I'm going to end up dissatisfied with how the HBO series finishes up and hope Martin can get the final books out eventually.
Thanks! I think based on your post I'll just finish out the TV series and perhaps add the book reads later on. As you say, perhaps the author can finish the final books.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

wolf359
Posts: 1882
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:47 am

Re: Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by wolf359 » Mon May 06, 2019 12:34 pm

froman118 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:40 am
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:22 am
Is the series fairly honest to the books? I have to say sometimes there seem to be 50 sub-plots going on at the same time, and I found myself re-watching episodes that left me confused. When I do get HBO again I plan to start at the beginning and work my way through the entire series.

Would the books be worth reading just to have a deeper understanding of the series?
The books are a good read and I enjoyed them a lot. When you get there, lookup a guide to read Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons in a more enjoyable order (books were split up between characters rather than chronological order). The show has been off book material since season 6 and it shows. I have a feeling I'm going to end up dissatisfied with how the HBO series finishes up and hope Martin can get the final books out eventually.
+1
With so few episodes to go before the TV show wraps up, I'd watch the whole series and then read the books.

There are several divergences, primarily where they deleted some characters, combined others, and invented some out of whole cloth. In many cases it was necessary to make compress the storylines to make it filmable and so they could finish it in a reasonable time. The author and the show runners have explicitly stated that there will be differences, especially in the ending. I'd expect some main events will be similar (i.e. the good guys will win) but some of the details will most certainly vary (who kills the bad guy, and how, and even who wins the game of thrones).

Cheap (ethical and legal) ways to get this:

1) Check with your local library to see if they have this collection in their DVD/Blueray section. I also have picked up some of the Blurays in library book sales. Not now, with the hype over the final season raising demand, but a year or two ago.
2) Wait for your cable company to offer an HBO preview weekend or month. During those trial periods, the streaming app usually works. You can binge watch the whole series.
3) Rent the DVDs/Blurays from Netflix, assuming you already have it.
4) Subscribe to HBO NOW, HBO's streaming service. It costs $15/mo, which is cheaper than what my cable company charges. The first 7 days are free.

User avatar
Artful Dodger
Posts: 787
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Re: Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by Artful Dodger » Tue May 07, 2019 6:24 am

froman118 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:40 am
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:22 am
Is the series fairly honest to the books? I have to say sometimes there seem to be 50 sub-plots going on at the same time, and I found myself re-watching episodes that left me confused. When I do get HBO again I plan to start at the beginning and work my way through the entire series.

Would the books be worth reading just to have a deeper understanding of the series?
The books are a good read and I enjoyed them a lot. When you get there, lookup a guide to read Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons in a more enjoyable order (books were split up between characters rather than chronological order). The show has been off book material since season 6 and it shows. I have a feeling I'm going to end up dissatisfied with how the HBO series finishes up and hope Martin can get the final books out eventually.
I loved the books. I think I started reading the series around 2001. I do think the first three were better and the last two meandered some with lots of subplots that didn’t really add to the story (and didn’t make it to the series). Good enjoyable writing but I got the impression by the last book Martin just wasn’t sure where he was going. And that book, Dance with Dragons, came out in 2011, the year the HBO series premiered. There have been rumors for the past three years the next book was just about ready to be released. We’ll see.

User avatar
Psyayeayeduck
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:46 am

Re: Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by Psyayeayeduck » Tue May 07, 2019 6:50 am

I am but I also treat the books and TV show as separate entities telling similar stories. I became a TV show watcher first. Then I started reading the books with the assumption that the books & TV show will parallel each other when the series starts wrapping up (hahaha, good one Psy!).

Once the TV show surpassed the books and there was no chance that the books will every catch up, I knew it was going to get the Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings treatment where the book expectations will never meet the visual expectations of TV/film. The power of the imagination with unlimited budget will always surpass a multi-million budget of TV/film. So I watch the show knowing this because I want to see what happens and it helps temper my expectations. It won't stop me from buying the final books but I'll likely early retire before that happens at the rate we are going.

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 3498
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed May 08, 2019 2:00 pm

Well, for the true GOT addicts, Amazon has this available:

Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-8 (Collectors Edition/BD)
Collector's Edition, Collector's
Various (Actor, Director) Format: Blu-ray

Available when released for the current price of $249.

Pre-order is available, and Amazon won't charge until shipped. As well, if the price declines prior to shipping, Amazon will sell at lower price.

I usually pre-order when a favorite is releasing a CD. But, I'll be passing on pre-ordering (or even buying at all) this series.

One could buy many months of HBO or Netflix for $249.

I predict within a year from date of last GOT episode aired, the price for this Blu-ray edition for the complete series will be $100. I'll bet there will a lot of these DVDs under the Christmas tree this year. Hmmmm, maybe I can get one of my daughters to buy the set for me! They are always wanting to know what to buy me, usually it is music CDs of my favorite artists. Perhaps I should go BIG this year.

The only TV series I have ever purchased on DVD were the original Star Trek, and Monk. BTW, I notice Amazon Prime Video has all eight seasons of Monk available free for Prime members. I'll probably watch Monk all over again.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

User avatar
Elsebet
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:28 pm
Location: Washington state

Re: Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by Elsebet » Wed May 08, 2019 4:23 pm

Great series but I feel like season 7 and 8 dropped a bit in terms of overall quality.

PSA: Do not read the game of thrones subreddit if you want to continue enjoying the show by the way. :)
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

investingdad
Posts: 1667
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by investingdad » Wed May 08, 2019 4:34 pm

I got to be honest, I'm tired of going to major news websites to be greeted with articles on the home page about the show as if it were news.

crossbow
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:47 pm

Re: Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by crossbow » Wed May 08, 2019 6:09 pm

I don't get the hype and probably never will.

astrohip
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:29 pm
Location: Houston TX

Re: Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by astrohip » Wed May 08, 2019 6:52 pm

crossbow wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:09 pm
I don't get the hype and probably never will.
It's a phenomenally addictive show. Well written, superbly cast, with a great story. There's a reason it's now the #1 rated show on TV, which is amazing when you consider it's pay cable, not free. Over 30 million viewers a week. Paid viewers! No telling how many watch on their parent's/friend's HBO password.

If you don't watch, then yes, there is no understanding the hype.

Ironically, your user name is a Chekhov's weapon on this show, and when I first saw your post, I assumed you were an avid fan, just on your name. :D
"Happiness is not about doing, it’s about being." - R Branson

jibantik
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Re: Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by jibantik » Wed May 08, 2019 6:53 pm

Elsebet wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:23 pm
Great series but I feel like season 7 and 8 dropped a bit in terms of overall quality.

PSA: Do not read the game of thrones subreddit if you want to continue enjoying the show by the way. :)
Yes, the episodes seem to be getting worse and worse.

I thought this past episode (S08E04) was terrible. If the next episode is as bad (I don't see how it could be better after what they have done) I am not sure I will even want to even finish the series. Kind of sad because this was my favorite show. At least now I will be motivated to read the books.

astrohip
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:29 pm
Location: Houston TX

Re: Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by astrohip » Wed May 08, 2019 7:21 pm

jibantik wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:53 pm
I thought this past episode (S08E04) was terrible. If the next episode is as bad (I don't see how it could be better after what they have done) I am not sure I will even want to even finish the series. Kind of sad because this was my favorite show. At least now I will be motivated to read the books.
I'm not sure I could watch a series for eight years, all the way to the penultimate episode, and not watch the finale.

The books started out great, but the last two were a slog. First three were really outstanding, but then they started getting overly verbose, taking pages to describe what should be a paragraph. And he hasn't completed one since 2011. I wouldn't hold out hope for the last two.
"Happiness is not about doing, it’s about being." - R Branson

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 57882
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by LadyGeek » Wed May 08, 2019 7:53 pm

FYI - This thread is on-topic as entertainment. See: Personal Consumer Issues
This subforum is focused on making informed decisions about consumer goods and services (other than investing or financial).

Acceptable topics include:

- consumer goods and services (e.g., dress shirts, laptops, software)
- home maintenance
- vehicle purchases and maintenance
- leisure and recreational activities: travel, sports, entertainment

Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
It's also a current discussion, as Game of Thrones started in 2011.

A relevant thread: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

randomguy
Posts: 8422
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by randomguy » Wed May 08, 2019 8:55 pm

astrohip wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:21 pm
jibantik wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:53 pm
I thought this past episode (S08E04) was terrible. If the next episode is as bad (I don't see how it could be better after what they have done) I am not sure I will even want to even finish the series. Kind of sad because this was my favorite show. At least now I will be motivated to read the books.
I'm not sure I could watch a series for eight years, all the way to the penultimate episode, and not watch the finale.

The books started out great, but the last two were a slog. First three were really outstanding, but then they started getting overly verbose, taking pages to describe what should be a paragraph. And he hasn't completed one since 2011. I wouldn't hold out hope for the last two.
Dude is 70 years old. No way the last two make it out🤣 Because of him and Robert Jordan, I refuse to start any un finished series. I have learned my lesson.😂

Fantasy series walk a fine line of believability in an unreal world. The last couple have been a bit much for a lot of people. You can have dragons. Having a fleet sneak up on another in broad daylight is pushing it😂

And yeah it probably would have been a better series if a few more plots had been cut and it was just a 5 book series. But I am sure the parts I would cut are probably someone's favorite.

And the big question is if I had some HDR OLED TV would I have been able to see something in about half the battle scenes. I tend to go with picture quality matters little (i.e. all modern TVs are light years ahead of stuff from 25 years ago) but I might have been wrong I. This case😁

michaeljc70
Posts: 5828
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed May 08, 2019 9:00 pm

jibantik wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:53 pm
Elsebet wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:23 pm
Great series but I feel like season 7 and 8 dropped a bit in terms of overall quality.

PSA: Do not read the game of thrones subreddit if you want to continue enjoying the show by the way. :)
Yes, the episodes seem to be getting worse and worse.

I thought this past episode (S08E04) was terrible. If the next episode is as bad (I don't see how it could be better after what they have done) I am not sure I will even want to even finish the series. Kind of sad because this was my favorite show. At least now I will be motivated to read the books.
Agreed. Disappointing final season. Obviously I am going to watch the last 2 though.

Dyloot
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:04 am

Re: Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by Dyloot » Wed May 08, 2019 9:17 pm

randomguy wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:55 pm
astrohip wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:21 pm
jibantik wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:53 pm
I thought this past episode (S08E04) was terrible. If the next episode is as bad (I don't see how it could be better after what they have done) I am not sure I will even want to even finish the series. Kind of sad because this was my favorite show. At least now I will be motivated to read the books.
I'm not sure I could watch a series for eight years, all the way to the penultimate episode, and not watch the finale.

The books started out great, but the last two were a slog. First three were really outstanding, but then they started getting overly verbose, taking pages to describe what should be a paragraph. And he hasn't completed one since 2011. I wouldn't hold out hope for the last two.
Dude is 70 years old. No way the last two make it out🤣 Because of him and Robert Jordan, I refuse to start any un finished series. I have learned my lesson.😂

Fantasy series walk a fine line of believability in an unreal world. The last couple have been a bit much for a lot of people. You can have dragons. Having a fleet sneak up on another in broad daylight is pushing it😂

And yeah it probably would have been a better series if a few more plots had been cut and it was just a 5 book series. But I am sure the parts I would cut are probably someone's favorite.

And the big question is if I had some HDR OLED TV would I have been able to see something in about half the battle scenes. I tend to go with picture quality matters little (i.e. all modern TVs are light years ahead of stuff from 25 years ago) but I might have been wrong I. This case😁
I believe Martin originally planned for the Red Wedding to be at the end of book one, and the series was slated to be a trilogy. His creativity wove an amazing three novel start, but then he just totally lost it. He considered having 5+ years pass between books, but scrapped it and attempted to right the ship. Book 4 became so bloated that he split the POVs in half, moving much of the storyline to Book 5.

And here we are, 8 years later, without the next installment.

For all the TV show’s failings, at least they’re coming to a conclusion. It may not be what we all had hoped, but I will enjoy it regardless.

Wheel of Time really suffered the same fate. Jordan had an amazing 6 book start, but lost it there after. Sanderson did a solid job writing the conclusion, but it was still (mostly) a lost cause. I enjoyed the final battle, but it wasn’t close to what we had all hoped while reading those first six books.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 57882
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by LadyGeek » Wed May 08, 2019 9:39 pm

I got up to book 13 of the Wheel of Time and lost interest after that.

We have dedicated book threads:

- What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI
- Good Modern Science Fiction, although the above would be considered fantasy.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

jibantik
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Re: Anyone else looking forward to Game of Thrones?

Post by jibantik » Tue May 21, 2019 7:47 pm

I guess I am not the only one upset at this season. Pretty terrible final episode (and final season in total) huh? Guess I will be reading the book :annoyed

Image

Post Reply