Hobbies of Bogleheads

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tat2ng

Post by tat2ng » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:52 pm

SailingAway wrote:I agree with Taylor, sailing.....saves gas.

Also allows my next one, fishing. Catching fish along the way while sailing to the next port should be double points. Scuba diving, swimming, hiking pretty much round out the active hobbies. We also play a lot of board games and cards in the evenings along with reading and computer time.

Steve

Floating at anchor in Aruba presently.
Sailing for me. Canoeing/kayaking, camping and hiking would be up there. Photography and woodworking, too.

I agree with Taylor and Steve, although I think my Sunfish sailing is (hopefully) quite a bit cheaper than the larger boats that they are sailing.

I took this video of my wife and I sailing on Crystal Lake in northern Michigan - it was a great time out on the water.

Cheers,
Thad

14thMed

Post by 14thMed » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:43 pm

Biking road and mtn. Also Civil War Re-enacting-both north and south.

heyyou

Hobbies

Post by heyyou » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:56 pm

Cooking and eating have been enjoyable hobbies of mine for years. Started backpacking again in retirement as a weight loss technique. That led to volunteer trail maintenance which led to section hiking on the 800 mile trans-state hiking trail. I've completed 90% of that trail, expecting to finish this month, and I've lost thirty pounds.

I volunteer several days a month for litter pickup in the adjacent national forest. I spend the rest of my leisure time reading.

Eat, sleep, then do what I want to, day after day. Retirement has been the best years of my life.

bearwolf

Post by bearwolf » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:28 pm

jsl11 wrote:
bearwolf wrote:Yes it is, I'm passing time now till the game starts at 6:30, I only play on days that end in Y with the exception of Friday. :D Do you accumulate Masters points? What level are you at? I'm relatively new to duplicate but am trying to catch up.
I played a lot in the sixties and early seventies, but then did not play for a long time. When I retired, I went back to it. I have almost 200 points. Points are a lot easier to get now than in the old days. I played this afternoon, but did not do too well.

Jefff
We tied for second tonight. Should have won second outright but a few too many silly mistakes.

BearWolf

ugakbk

Post by ugakbk » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:02 am

dekecarver wrote: Duck hunting prairie potholes
I have heard nothing but the greatest things about hunting the prairie pothole region. I hope to get up there at some point to spend a week or so hunting.

Manbaerpig

Post by Manbaerpig » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:19 am

Also allows my next one, fishing. Catching fish along the way while sailing to the next port should be double points. Scuba diving, swimming, hiking pretty much round out the active hobbies. We also play a lot of board games and cards in the evenings along with reading and computer time.

Steve

wow jealous :)

I was told the crowning irony of the sailing lifestyle is that you are hardly ever (?) sailing on windpower 100%, motorsailing is far more common if you are headed for a destination and not just pleasure cruising in the bay or something like that...

it's sorta like windsurfing... green sport right? Well how green is the SUV you took down to the lake over 100 miles round trip? :)

As an anecdote: I sail from California to Mexico about once a year. I never have time for the return trip, but assuming we leave with the best chance of catching a prevailing wind bringing us south, we still motor-sail to maintain the hullspeed of the sailboat we're on... usually around 7-8 knots. Easily 50% of the time we're motorsailing.... or we'd be putting around at 3-4 knots...

I was a little disappointed to learn that the sailing lifestyle is basically sail-assisted motoring... YMMV

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:25 am

Manbaerpig wrote: As an anecdote: I sail from California to Mexico about once a year. I never have time for the return trip....
So you sell these boats in Mexico each year and take a bus home then??

Manbaerpig

Post by Manbaerpig » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:28 am

It's not my boat, and it's a plane for the return. My financially independent friend stays to surf and drink some more and the swell is always better in the days after I'm back home :shock:

(or if you prefer, alternate answer: I have a parking lot for my boats in Mexico I just keep leaving them there :P )

norm

Post by norm » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:39 am

Reading. Since I stoped being inolved 20 years ago in showing dogs I have not found a hobby to replace it (frugal or otherwise).

Powers

Post by Powers » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:33 am

It's hard to say if it's cheap or not, but my only hobby is guitar.

On one hand, all of my gear is high-end and pretty expensive. On the other hand, I don't have any other hobbies; and a $2,000 guitar, $1,500 amp, or several $200 pedals that I play regularly for 10 yrs plus probably evens out to less than most other hobbies. Although it is a hobby that lends itself to giving you very bad G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)...

CrankyManager

Post by CrankyManager » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:52 am

Since my mother passed away I have taken up the family genealogy torch.

Thanks to the Internet it has been a fascinating trip. I'm a history buff anyway, so exploring my family's roots in Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania has been engrossing and worthwhile.

My newest kick is working with FindAGrave.com to locate family graves from coast to coast. Collecting pictures of headstones reminds me of collecting baseball cards when I was a kid.

It's a cheap hobby as well. I've sent off numerous research and document requests this year to county historical societies across the country, usually at a whopping expense of a $10 to $20 donation per.
"Does not Dionysius seem to have made it sufficiently clear that there can be nothing happy for the person over whom some fear always looms?" -- Cicero

CAP

Post by CAP » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:48 pm

The cheap activities/hobbies that I enjoy are:

lap swimming, long walks & swims with the dogs, collecting shells rocks, tennis, biking, rowboating the lake, enjoying state park areas, reading, using computer, gardening, wildlife watching, window shopping.

John Bailout

Post by John Bailout » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:24 pm

Reading, esp. Sci-Fi

Sailing (motor only used for docking or running the generator on super long haul trips - heck, when I was in college we sailed on an old 30 footer with no engine; the look of the other boaters when we SAILED into the harbor looking for a guest berth and they realized that we had no engine was priceless; maneuvering a decent sized boat with sails only in a gusty unfamiliar harbor with failing light teaches you a certain finesse and ability to manage panic that you would miss when just sailing in open water...) :D

Peated single malt Scotch
Last edited by John Bailout on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Throwin' Darts

Post by Throwin' Darts » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:09 pm

I love to bowhunt. I also have a "just for fun" website that publishes bowhunter submitted hunting stories at www.justbowhunt.com
Chuck Norris can divide by zero

jamacq

Post by jamacq » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:10 pm

Astronomy. Like most hobbies it can be inexpensive or expensive. Looking at the night sky with your eyes...free. Taking pictures with a cooled ccd camera through a telescope on a computerized mount...not so cheap.

Anyway, I've loved astronomy and the night sky since I was 6 and got my first telescope. You can see images I've taken here:

http://www.astroimages.org

My favorite recent picture is the Horsehead Nebula here:

http://astroimages.org/ccd/ic434.html

Jeff

NAVigator

Post by NAVigator » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:29 pm

Jeff, Your hobby takes skill, knowledge, and is expensive - sounds more like a career. :) Excellent photos! Congratulations on a job well done!

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."

SailingAway

Post by SailingAway » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Manbaerpig wrote:

wow jealous :)

I was told the crowning irony of the sailing lifestyle is that you are hardly ever (?) sailing on windpower 100%, motorsailing is far more common if you are headed for a destination and not just pleasure cruising in the bay or something like that...

it's sorta like windsurfing... green sport right? Well how green is the SUV you took down to the lake over 100 miles round trip? :)

As an anecdote: I sail from California to Mexico about once a year. I never have time for the return trip, but assuming we leave with the best chance of catching a prevailing wind bringing us south, we still motor-sail to maintain the hullspeed of the sailboat we're on... usually around 7-8 knots. Easily 50% of the time we're motorsailing.... or we'd be putting around at 3-4 knots...

I was a little disappointed to learn that the sailing lifestyle is basically sail-assisted motoring... YMMV
Manbaerpig,

Well, it really depends on how big a hurry you are in and also if you choose your routing to take advantage of the prevailing winds. We sailed from the Chesapeake to Tortola, BVI a couple years ago, about 1500 miles offshore, and didn't need the engine till we docked at Sopers Hole, Tortola.

No need to be jealous, come join us. We leave for Columbia in a few days.

If you aren't in a hurry there is no necessity to fire up the noisemaker,

SHL

Post by SHL » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:24 pm

Motorcycling - Started on BMW motorcycles, but Lord they're expensive to own and maintain. Now have a Suzuki SV650 that's fun to ride and cheap to own. I like to find curvy country roads way out in the sticks.

Reading - I read a lot, mostly fiction and mostly library books. My mom read to us kids a lot when we were small, so I grew up with a love for books.

Stargazing- Took an astronomy class just for fun, and got a cheap telescope. I use it to check out planets, star clusters, and the occasional comet.

Canoeing/tubing - Nothing like floating down a lazy river on a sunny afternoon. I also like to find secluded creeks with good swimming holes and maybe a little waterfall or a rope swing.
Stephen

nhdblfan

Post by nhdblfan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:47 pm

My Labradors

Gun Collecting (some say "slow race horses and fast women would be cheaper") and hunting.

I do enjoy reading about all kinds of investment ideas/plans.

no_name

Post by no_name » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:34 pm

GammaPoint wrote:Bicycling, lifting weights, judo, cooking at home (saves lots of money, is fun, and more healthy), and going for hikes.

COOL! JUDO! YAY!

play piano, guitar, hockey, music, video games, reading, walking, judo, foreign languages, and movies (anime).

meridian

Post by meridian » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:24 pm

Playing with my 16 mo. old son;

Mountain biking - although I took a nasty spill a couple of weeks ago, I love trail riding;

Reading - usually working on 2-3 books at a time;

Movies & music - discovering new stuff (foreign/domestic) is always great;

Technology in general;
-- | To Start Press Any Key | "Wheres the 'Any' key?" | --Homer | | Mouse::Mice -- Spouse::Spice

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:47 pm

Cooking, weightlifting to counteract the efects of the cooking, photography and reading. I used to do a good bit of woodworking, but have pretty much given that up over concerns about the ill effects of wood dust inhalation.
gatorman

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:56 pm

Guitar, exercise and American Idol. I am most passionate about the first two.
Mike

Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:21 pm

I have a young family to enjoy, so not much time for hobbies at present...

I would like to take up the following:
1. Wine - sommelier anyone here taken courses? i like wine & people that like wine...
2. Soccer coaching - would love to take this up as a hobby/retirement activity
3. Travel...on a hiatus at present :)

DoWahDaddy

Post by DoWahDaddy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:39 pm

IndyInvestor wrote:Iron Maiden...seen more than 20 times in US, and Europe. Guitars, politics, histories, and comic books.
+1...gutsy call on this forum

marie17

Post by marie17 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:28 am

reading and doing cryptograms are my only cheap hobbies.
Someone mentioned camping, but you can really get sucked in with the gear (and I do)

My other expensive hobby is traveling. Booking flights right now! :) :) :)

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:01 pm

Roller blading, weightlifting at home, drumming, reading books from the library. Really, even my primary hobby (video gaming) is pretty cheap in my case, buying games on sale from either Steam or Amazon, and selling console games back to Amazon, sometimes for more than I originally purchased them for.

partisan

Post by partisan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:09 pm

Skiing, Camping, Backpacking, Hiking, Biking, Reading

I also pay guitar and bass from time to time, but I have progressively played less as I got married and had a son. The above hobbies outside of reading and backpacking can be done as a family.

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:23 pm

knitting... but it isn't exactly cheap.

LazyTraders

Post by LazyTraders » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:53 pm

My brother took me to a local golf course when I was 10 - and 29 years later I am still addicted. I threaten to find a new hobby each time I play, but I always come back. Golf is a lot like active investing and also a lot like the definition of insanity.

SharkSoul

Post by SharkSoul » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:06 pm

I'm Arr In Baby!!!!!! Poker, sports (playing and watching). If you play poker in the bay area hit me up!!
"Price is what you pay. Value is what you get." - Warren Buffet

c.Alvin

Post by c.Alvin » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:13 am

Playing keyboards is my hobby. It find it very entertaining and helps me forget about all worries. It has got to be cheaper then visiting a "shrink". :wink:

mac240

Post by mac240 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:20 am

Trying to write a novel now.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:07 am

Another bowhunter here. Hunting's not cheap in TX.

Also play soccer a couple times a week...much more affordable as long as we don't go out for beer afterwards.

HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:37 am

Guitar

Weight training.

Reading
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett

SteveRB

Post by SteveRB » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:49 pm

I play electric guitar and bass, been playing for decades.

Lake fishing.

Cooking. Cook books and reading about food. Shopping for food. Restaurants. More of an obsession than a hobby.

Lente

Re: Hobby

Post by Lente » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:16 pm

Keim wrote:
Taylor Larimore wrote:
frugalhen wrote:What are the favorite cost conscious hobbies of Bogleheads? In other words, what hobbies do you enjoy even more knowing it is relatively cheap?
Hi frugalhen:

Sailing. It saves gas. :wink:
Homebrewing. It creates gas.
Working on my very first home brew this very evening. I am nervous. Wort is boiling as we speak.

Spedward

Post by Spedward » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:05 am

I am a powerlifter. Pretty cheap hobbie for me but I tend to consume a lot of food due to the calories expended... So I guess that can get a little expensive. I also spent about 5 grand in gym equipment over the last 10 years. But that is about the extend of the expense!

Keeps me healthy and eliminates any stress in my life!

OutOfCyan

Re:

Post by OutOfCyan » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:57 pm

SHL wrote:Motorcycling - Started on BMW motorcycles, but Lord they're expensive to own and maintain. Now have a Suzuki SV650 that's fun to ride and cheap to own. I like to find curvy country roads way out in the sticks.
I wish we had some curvy roads around here. I live in gridlock. My wife rides my old SV650; I now have an old VFR750F... heavy for curvy roads, but nice for long rides. I just bought a new chain for the SV today - $140 for an RK x-ring w/ steel sprockets.

Are BMWs really that expensive to maintain? My wife really wants a F800ST. I'm trying to convince her to get a newer VFR instead and put some soft saddle bags on that. Used BMWs are hard to find on Craigslist, but I see people riding them all the time. My best guess is that once someone buys one, they never want to sell it.

jjbiv

Re: Hobbies of Bogleheads

Post by jjbiv » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:00 pm

Motorcycling (own a Kawasaki VN750 http://www.vn750.com -- great site!)
Flying sailplanes (http://www.ssa.org to find a club -- one of the most enjoyable -- and least expensive -- ways to fly)
Studying for IT certification exams (helps at work, builds the resume, and I enjoy learning in general and new technologies in particular)

VictoriaF

Re:

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:13 pm

mac240 wrote:Trying to write a novel now.
How is your novel?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

aja8888

Post by aja8888 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:38 pm

Cars....my diesel Passat, the old Lexus. I keep 5 family-owned cars running in top notch shape and do 99% of the diagnostics and repairs/modifications myself. I have a garage full of tools and even some diagnostic computers for VAG, Audi, Seat, Skoda, etc (plus the usual U.S. iron). My neighbors love me... :wink:

I used to be a long distance runner but a hip replacement slowed me down.

LH

Post by LH » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:29 am

Travel
family wife Kids soccer
reading (finance and the forbidden p word)
Guns (new hobby)
PC gaming

Qtman

Post by Qtman » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:40 am

Grand kidding, nothing makes me laugh more than two children less than 6. Those little minds are absolutely amazing. I do other stuff too, but nothing as fascinating as interacting with little ones.
Don’t wear yourself out trying to get rich; be wise enough to control yourself. | Wealth can vanish in the wink of an eye. It can seem to grow wings and fly away | like an eagle. - King Solomon

joha31

Post by joha31 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:31 am

I enjoy powerlifting. Competing is not so frugal due to membership fees but powerlifting as a hobby is quite cheap. In fact, powerlifters in general are very resourceful. For example, here are some tools of a serious powerlifter:
Heavy steel chains and industrial pallet rubber bands for accommodating resistance.
Old donut spare tires modified to act as bumper plates.
Used "megatruck" tire for tire flips and sledgehammer core work. These are generally obtained for free if you are willing to transport it yourself.
Hill sprints
Vehicle pushes
Deadlift platform constructed of plywood and used horse stall mats
The most expensive pieces are the actual weights and racks but with a little bit of due diligence i.e. yard sales and craiglist these can be obtained relatively cheap and in extreme cases even for free.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott

ginyah

Post by ginyah » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:45 am

I have to redouble. I love duplicate bridge

guitarguy

Re:

Post by guitarguy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:30 pm

etherscreen78 wrote:wine - not cheap
We buy the cheap stuff :lol:
etherscreen78 wrote:guitar - i've found a way not to keep that cheap either. damn.
I keep costs reasonable by getting paid to play :mrgreen:

Also...working out, walking/hiking/frisbee/obedience/etc with my dogs, home improvement stuff, a couple shows and sports on TV

Manbaerpig

Post by Manbaerpig » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:53 pm

Hobbies come and go but here are my current ones:

surfing --50+ days a year, + a mandatory yearly trip or 3 to hawaii and somewhere off the beaten path. if the swell is up I'm in santa cruz you can set your watch to it. I'd go more often but I reserve one weekend day to do stuff with the SO :beer
mountain biking --maybe 20 annual trips into the santa cruz mountains doing some freeride stuff, 12+ mile trips. I also commute on it ~50% of the time (only 8 miles ea. way)

everything else ends up in a blur of stuff I never seem to get around to doing:
snowboarding-- 2 or 3 days a year tops
kayaking-- 2 or 3 days a year tops
windsurfing-- probably take it out in the summer once or twice
hiking-- go on 2 annual camping trips of 2-3 day duration ea., one on the east coast other usually yosemite or something local

(I realize I already answered this, lol. consider this an update)

Lauren Vignec

Post by Lauren Vignec » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:15 pm

Hello Everyone,

Not sure if this is still a hobby given how long we've been at it, but I play drums and sing (yes, simultaneously) in a band called Nation of Two with Darius Morrison. We've been together for 14 years. Finally we found a genius to record us (and this guy Jherek Bischoff really is brilliant, in February his orchestral music premiers in NYC with collaborators like David Byrne and will be played live on NPR).

This is our most accessible song:

http://soundcloud.com/nation-of-two/dusks-diamonds

It used to be extremely uncommon for drummers to sing and play at the same time, but I'm seeing more of it. Did anyone catch that Paul McCartney special with the drummer/vocalist? That guy was amazing.

A big hobby of mine used to be posting on internet forums, but I haven't seemed to do that as much lately. Maybe it's time to start again.

L

SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:47 pm

Lauren Vignec wrote:Hello Everyone,

It used to be extremely uncommon for drummers to sing and play at the same time, but I'm seeing more of it.
Found this list on the internet:

Don Brewer - Grand Funk Railroad
Kelly Keagy - Night Ranger
Gil Moore - Triumph
Don Henley - The Eagles, solo
Phil Collins - Genesis, solo
Karen Carpenter(RIP) - The Carpenters
Nigel Olsson - Elton John
Tommy Lee - Motley Crue, solo
Dave Grohl - Nirvana, Foo Fighters
Ringo Starr - The Beatles, solo
Micky Dolenz - The Monkeys
Meg White - The White Stripes
Sheila E. - Prince, solo

I also remember the guy from Rare Earth singing and drumming.

Thanks
SP-diceman