OK...should we go to Maui??

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
guitarguy

OK...should we go to Maui??

Post by guitarguy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:22 am

:lol: Here's the story...friends of ours are getting married there in October and I'd really like to go. It would be a weeklong trip, costing $3k for air/hotel, plus all expenses once we're there...which I'm guessing will be another $1k or more (again...just guessing). I haven't priced any of this out myself but these are the numbers I'm hearing from those that are going.

Pros:
- Get to see friends get married
- I've known the best man (bride's brother) since we were kids and I know lots of his family also...so it would be probably a once in a lifetime trip (to go with so many friends and 'family' like this)
- We got married last year and this would be like a 2nd honeymoon, which we wanted to do this year...hadn't necessarily planned on a trip this expensive...but we did want to go somewhere.
- We're planning on having a baby soon and this would almost surely be our last hurrah before that happens. The trip will not affect our plan to have a 'baby fund' available for when that happens either. When wife gets pregnant, we're planning on switching to living on 1 income and banking each of her paychecks for 7-8 months, which will give us a tidy sum for baby expenses.
- We'd get to cross Hawaii off our list of places we really want to visit, and we'd get to do it while we're young (25-26 years old).
- It won't necessarily be easy, and there will be some opportunity cost and sacrifices, but we can afford the trip. We won't be draining our E-Fund, putting it all on a CC (although we will and get the rewards on the trip 8) ), or stopping Roth IRA contributions or some other crazy idea.

Cons:
- Spending lots of $ :roll:
- Would have to put off a semi-major home improvement project another year for sure (new patio), plus the other potential smaller financial sacrifices we'll have to make to save up.
- We're planning on having a baby soon...so this $ could be spent on other (more financially responsible) things to prepare for that.
- I won't have the extra $ to invest in my side business, which I'd like to do, but isn't 100% necessary for the projectto continue to bring in profit.
- Wife and I will essentially use up the rest of our work vacation time in Oct, limiting us for much/any time off this summer. Plus, when we visit Texas in December to see her parents for Christmas, she will have to then take that week off unpaid which will be a hit.

I dunno...my cons are basically all financial. The Boglehead in me says don't go, but the young brash part of me says 'screw it this will be awesome' and wants to just go. :twisted:

Anything else to consider? Thoughts? :?

Manbaerpig

Post by Manbaerpig » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:25 am

I didn't even read your post. Hawaii is worth it, go

Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:40 am

Do you have a good, stable job? Go!!!! Hawaii is beautiful.

orlandoman

Post by orlandoman » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:43 am

Been to Maui 14 times, my wife & I go about every 2 years. Maui is awesome. We always rent an oceanfront condo, that's the way to go.

Just do it!

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:55 am

I tend to say GO as well, but I'm really old, nowhere close to 25-26 anymore. :(
"Old" in my case means the kids are grown and more discretionary income at this point.

You might want to go through some sort of budgeting exercise in parallel with this just to make sure you aren't going broke.
And I REALLY hope you don't have a big CC balance you're just paying the minimum on each month. If you do, then I'll have to shake my head, sorry...

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:57 am

Flashes1 wrote:Do you have a good, stable job? Go!!!! Hawaii is beautiful.
Yes, I'm very lucky to have a stable job and extra monthly income as a working musician.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:59 am

The Wizard wrote: And I REALLY hope you don't have a big CC balance you're just paying the minimum on each month. If you do, then I'll have to shake my head, sorry...
No CC balance...paid in full monthly to get full advantage of rewards. No bad debt really...just an affordable 30 yr/fixed mortgage and some 2-3% student loans. Hey...I practically live on this site! 8)

I'm thinking that patio can be bought with our first use of the 'Child Tax Credit' right??? :twisted:
Last edited by guitarguy on Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Beantown85

Post by Beantown85 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:00 pm

Go.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:05 pm

Live a little

bondmonkey

Post by bondmonkey » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:06 pm

Don't even think about it or negotiate it anymore. Just go. Have fun. You'll remember it for the rest of your life. Better to go, because you'll always wonder if you should have gone if you don't go.

sb2010

Post by sb2010 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:09 pm

GO by all means:) We already visited OAHU once and Maui and Big isaland are next in the list. There is one negative though, once you visit Hawaii it is very hard to enjoy/like any of the beaches in the main-land!

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:12 pm

darga19 wrote: I'm thinking that patio can be bought with our first use of the 'Child Tax Credit' right??? :twisted:
Build the patio (properly) yourself when you get back.
Just buy the materials and tools.
It's not rocket surgery and sweat equity is a good thing...

mikepru

Post by mikepru » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:19 pm

You will love Maui.

Mike

chaz

Post by chaz » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:19 pm

Enjoy!
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:27 pm

The Wizard wrote:
darga19 wrote: I'm thinking that patio can be bought with our first use of the 'Child Tax Credit' right??? :twisted:
Build the patio (properly) yourself when you get back.
Just buy the materials and tools.
It's not rocket surgery and sweat equity is a good thing...
Definitely into sweat equity...haven't done cement work before but worked like hell on remodeling our kitchen last year. Spent a lot but LOVE the new kitchen. Almost a year old and still has that 'new kitchen smell' :lol:

KyleAAA wrote:Live a little
St. Lucia last year for our honeymoon and Las Vegas already this year...believe me we've been living my brother!! :twisted:

I agree with you guys...I think we're gonna go!! Now...just have to talk to the wife about it. Yeah...I'm sure she'll be hard to convince!!!
Last edited by guitarguy on Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alanf56

Post by alanf56 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:28 pm

What would Suze say???? :)

ddb

Post by ddb » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:39 pm

Where do you live? There may be closer and/or cheaper places to travel which feature similar amenities.

I'm generally in favor of travel, as long as the particular trip is truly something you wanted to do. If you and your wife are the type who enjoy a vacation tooling around European cities, or visiting a great ski destination, etc., then you may not want to go to Hawaii and spend all that money just because somebody is getting married. That's a HUGE expense for something that isn't your first choice.

However, if Hawaii is one of those things on your bucket list, then it sounds like a nice opportunity to travel.

- DDB
"We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people." - PB

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:04 pm

ddb wrote:Where do you live? There may be closer and/or cheaper places to travel which feature similar amenities.

I'm generally in favor of travel, as long as the particular trip is truly something you wanted to do. If you and your wife are the type who enjoy a vacation tooling around European cities, or visiting a great ski destination, etc., then you may not want to go to Hawaii and spend all that money just because somebody is getting married. That's a HUGE expense for something that isn't your first choice.

However, if Hawaii is one of those things on your bucket list, then it sounds like a nice opportunity to travel.

- DDB
We live in Metro Detroit.

Hawaii is definitely somewhere I've always wanted to go. My parents honeymooned in Hawaii so my whole life I've heard how wonderful it is. Plus...the opportunity to travel with friends who are basically family to me is big. Not just traveling there for the wedding itself...that's just a bonus.

I don't generally travel for weddings actually. Another friend of mine (albiet not as close of a friend as the Hawaii one) is getting married 4 hours away up north in Michigan but we're not going because it's a weekend stay and we're not really interested in the location...so there's no pressure in the whole 'traveling for the wedding' thing for us.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:24 pm

GO!

Being frugal is not an end all goal. The patio can wait (mine's been waiting for almost a year now)

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:28 pm

Aloha !!

(but don't make this a continual financial habit - that will get you into trouble).

Love Maui.

RM

schnoodlemom

Post by schnoodlemom » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:31 pm

Go, go, go, make the trip while you can.... kids change everything! We hope to get to Hawaii for our 20th anniversary (just 3 years away) and by then our kids will still be in high school, with college looming on the horizon. Have fun! :-)

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:34 pm

We love Maui, and have been there 8 times.

Go.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:43 pm

Random Musings wrote:Aloha !!

(but don't make this a continual financial habit - that will get you into trouble).
:lol:

We won't.

rai

Post by rai » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:12 pm

I say: GO!

there have been many times when I did something where I said gee that was too expensive (or so I thought maybe the wise thing would be not to do it).

But the point is, I'm still the same place financially give or take and those time of spent money are far worth more than the money I spent.

In fact, I believe I don't do enough things like this, and hope I don't regret too many lost times where I was too cheap spend money for such good times (like this probably will be).

Life is too short (even a long life), AND you probably will have piles of money left over at the end of your life that goes unspent.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon. | | "You say that money, isn't everything | But I'd like to see you live without it." - Silverchair

bertie wooster

Post by bertie wooster » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:33 pm

I agree with everyone's sentiments - go!

I just spent 2 weeks there in February, it was pretty great. We're not resort types so one thing I'd recommend is spend a couple of days at the hotel where everyone is staying for wedding activities but use VRBO (vacation rental by owner) to find a place for just you and the wife for the rest of the time. The east side of the island is beautiful, much less dense, and a great place to have some solitude and really get away from everything.

And make sure you rent a car - the best thing about Maui is the different parts of the island are so different. There are so many little adventures to be had. There's a book called _Maui Revealed_ which i recommend.

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:16 pm

Go.

cjackson0

Post by cjackson0 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:49 pm

epilnk wrote:Go.
+1

milestogo

Post by milestogo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:13 pm

GO!
Have some fun now! You will have a great time and aren't jeopardizing other goals.
It will be hard to do this trip with a baby or kids!

jmbkb4

Post by jmbkb4 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:41 pm

GO.......

if there are too many losers on here that try to dissuade you from it, just ignore them.........

life is too short.

DidItMyWay

Post by DidItMyWay » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:28 pm

Even this cranky, cheap old woman says, "Go for it!"
Once kids come along, it may be more difficult to just pick up an go to Maui due to school schedules, sports schedules, finances, etc.
You will still be able to travel with kids, but this sounds like a special trip. Maui is awesome. I say go and make it your last hurrah, as you say, before your lives change forever (in a good way) when little ones come along.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:48 pm

jmbkb4 wrote:GO.......

if there are too many losers on here that try to dissuade you from it, just ignore them.........

life is too short.
Unlike some forums, there are absolutely ZERO losers here on bogleheads.org.
I've checked...

Winthorpe

Post by Winthorpe » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:32 am

Manbaerpig wrote:I didn't even read your post. Hawaii is worth it, go
+1

Well, actually I skimmed over some of your post....I've been to Maui 3 times and Kauai once. I'm going back to Kauai in one week, too.

Let me add that I'm otherwise a penny-pinching and frugal Boglehead. This is one area that I don't skimp. It's worth it. Also, go before that baby comes. It's not as easy once they are here.

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:05 am

Maui is the greatest. I've been there 3 times and it's my favorite vacation spot. If you go, you'll have a great time and start making plans to go back again.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:22 am

darga19 wrote:We live in metro Detroit. . . . I don't generally travel for weddings actually. Another friend of mine (albeit not as close of a friend as the Hawaii one) is getting married 4 hours away up north in Michigan but we're not going because it's a weekend stay and we're not really interested in the location.
Not trying to drag the thread away from the Hawaii decision, and I see the disclaimer that you don't generally travel to weddings, and that you feel a stronger bond with the friend in Hawaii, but nevertheless the lines above sort of "leaped out" at me.

When I started reading the thread I thought: By all means go to Maui if you want to and can afford it.

But when I got to the part above, I also wondered: Are you creating any future "relationship problem" with the friend who lives closer by? Is s/he going to be thinking: "You went all the way to Hawaii for their wedding but wouldn't even cross Michigan for ours"?

Might it be advisable (or at least diplomatic, a kind of relationship "forest fire prevention") to do both?

Marc

canucknyc

Post by canucknyc » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:02 am

Go... and stay!

Seriously - this many Bogleheads agreeing to an expense this large is pretty telling. Wife and I went to Hawaii on our honeymoon a few months ago - and it really was the trip of a lifetime. I'd also highly recommend going to other islands while you're there (esp Kauai)